The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RP vs ganking

Go down 
+4
Darka
Coldhart
Godric_Barbarosa
Crebain
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Crebain

Crebain

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:02 pm

So your thoughts on attacking the other factions whilst staying in character.

Is it wrong to kill lowbies?

Is it wrong to kill a player over and over?

When is killing another player griefing or ganking?

Some valid questions and there are probably a lot more questions out there relating to this.

So what's your thought on this?
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Crebain wrote:
So your thoughts on attacking the other factions whilst staying in character.

Is it wrong to kill lowbies?

Quite honestly I don't do it because there's no challenge in it.

Crebain wrote:
Is it wrong to kill a player over and over?

See above

Crebain wrote:
When is killing another player griefing or ganking?

Griefing, I think, has to do with consensuality. On the other hand, one could argue that being on a PvP server is giving consent. But really a griefer knows when he's griefing. Ganking is about not having a fair fight, usually because of a level difference or a numbers difference..

EDIT: I think Sylrah's post in the other thread pretty much summed up the difference between killing someone RP and griefing but I wold add if you need an RP reason not to gank/grief. A lightsider wouldn't do it because it's not fair. I darksider wouldn't do it because the other person is so insignificant to be below his/her notice and not worth wasting time on. The Sith Ideal would be to defeat the strong not abuse the weak.

NOTE: My original response was from before I caught the discussion on the other thread.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Well, there is some diplomacy within the ranks of the sith but only to lead to their ultimate goal. I would think that sticking to the lore, the sith would probably kill on sight, while the republic or jerdi would probably try to capture on sight. But since it's a game and there is no actual way to "capture" a person in-game, that would lead us to think the republic/jerdi would also, defend to the death. And just because the sith may be a higherlevel and the other person may not be worth their time...the sith already think they are superior and everyone else is beneath them and weak.

It was said that maybe we could beat them down and just not finish them off...leave them for the animals. Well, a true sith shows no mercy...mercy is for the weak. A sith in true RP form would kill them. And this brings us to the topic of the thread...what to do, what to do.

The only reason I bring this up is because we all know there will be people out there doing it. Not saying I will...also not saying I won't in some way stick to form. But how do you go about it without offending people? Should they just realize, "Hey you're the one who rolled on a PvP sever"? I garantee there will be people who think this and kill whatever, whenever. And really, who's to say it's completely wrong given the circumstanses? I mean, on a PvE server if I saw someone flagged, I would say game on! So shouldn't you expect some kind of threat to getting killed or ganked if you roll on a PvP server?

I know it would be wrong if you were say level 40 and going to the newbie jerdi starting area and killing all the NPC's and anyone who flagged. But out in the world, wouldn't it be fair game on whoever you came across? You could have a raid of evil players RP'ing that they are trying to help future engages by going and wiping out all the young padawans in the world...in reality this might mean taking a raid to a newbie area and slaughtering everything. Is this wrong on a PvP server? A lot of people would say no and they actually do such things. This is why I prefer a PvE server. If I choose to play on the PvP server, how can I bit@# when things like this happen (Just how I personally have always felt).

More thoughts?

Last edited by Coldhart on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Coldhart wrote:
Well, there is some diplomacy within the ranks of the sith but only to lead to their ultimate goal. I would think that sticking to the lore, the sith would probably kill on sight, while the republic or jerdi would probably try to capture on sight. But since it's a game and there is no actual way to "capture" a person in-game, that would lead us to think the republic/jerdi would also, defend to the death. And just because the sith may be a higherlevel and the other person may not be worth their time...the sith already think they are superior and everyone else is beneath them and weak.

I think the sith like to act like they think everything is below them, but if they cannot recognize a true challenge then they would lose to even inferior opponents due to there overconfidence. the Sith are the most successful when they recognize there opponents as a valid challenge(prequels), and are defeated when they view a valid threat as insignificant(original Star Wars and RotJ).

Coldhart wrote:
It was said that maybe we could beat them down and just not finish them off...leave them for the animals. Well, a true sith shows no mercy...mercy is for the weak. A sith in true RP form would kill them. And this brings us to the topic of the thread...what to do, what to do.

But they've already said that one does not get "killed" i this game they get "defeated." RP vs ganking 45360

One other thing that should be pointed out in general is that I don't think that corpse camping is going to be a problem in this game since there is know corpse run. Going to another factions med bay maybe very dangerous. We'll see how this plays out for warzone graveyard camping.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Ah...I hate that we can't run to our corpse...I know it makes it easy for someone to camp us but it sux for questing lol

Quote :
But they've already said that one does not get "killed" i this game they get "defeated."

One other thing that should be pointed out in general is that I don't think that corpse camping is going to be a problem in this game since there is know corpse run. Going to another factions med bay maybe very dangerous. We'll see how this plays out for warzone graveyard camping.

It says that we are merely defeated, but if there is no corpse running and we spawn at a med center, then basicaly, we died.

Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Coldhart wrote:
Ah...I hate that we can't run to our corpse...I know it makes it easy for someone to camp us but it sux for questing lol

Quote :
But they've already said that one does not get "killed" i this game they get "defeated."

It says that we are merely defeated, but if there is no corpse running and we spawn at a med center, then basicaly, we died.

perhaps you were dragged to the med center by some crazy old wizard...er, I mean some crazy old sage...and that's just where you regained consciousness. Otherwise, it will drive us RPers nuts, since there is no rezzing in SW.
Back to top Go down
Crebain

Crebain

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Personally I think the choice to kill or not is a personal decision. If you can justify it from a RP point of view and not as an excuse to kill lowlvls, then it's cool. I for one don't mind getting killed by a higher lvl when on a pvp (or rppvp) server. I in fact agree to pvp content being there around me all the time, fair or not. Star Wars is not exactly fair fights all the time either.

I always disliked it when people went personal over something that was said or done in RP. If people want to organise a raid to a lowlvl area and wipe it all out? Fine by me, as long as it's done with respect for the player. Note that I say "player" not character. It's a distinction that must be made, it often gets mixed up.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Guild: Force Academy

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Its tough, i prefer to fight people who can and will fight back rather then mindlessly slaughter people who have no chance, if you are willingly ina PvP zone well your just asking for trouble.
Sometimes ill ignore them, but if they strike first ill defend myself Wink
If group PvP they will be taken out just like any target, but they are less of a problem in doing so.

But I dont go into low level areas to mindlessly kill people I know are unable to beat me
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Darka wrote:
But I dont go into low level areas to mindlessly kill people I know are unable to beat me

Yeah... RP or not, where's the fun and challenge in that?
Back to top Go down
Crebain

Crebain

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:54 pm

I agree, not saying I would do that. Just something I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this.

It's just I don't judge it or take it personal if people want to do that kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I think it's not really a matter of killing a player (or not), it's a matter of how much effort you are putting into it.

Higher level players seeking low level players in lowbie zones just for easy killing is griefing and ganking and actually detrimental to the game overall, because the newcomers get piss off and leave. Some people just doesn't get that part...

If you are a higher level player and just stumble upon another player, well, it's part of the game. Although, there is still ways of making yourself less of a jerk by being "nice" about it, role-playing or not.

Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:06 am

It is a tough question, but i tend to be of the mindset that if you are on a PvP server, its game on. However, if you are continuously killing those same lowbies over and over, then you are doing it to grief. I played Aion for a few months when it released, and I think this type of thing was what the developers of that game had in mind. You took your knocks, but you handed them right back - either after a few levels or after putting in a call to your guild. I died many times to higher level players while I was out leveling, but thats just the way the game was, and I think if you are in a game/server where you know PvP could happen at any moment, then it is rather unrealistic to get upset when PvP happens, regardless of the odds. Where it goes to far is when you are constantly hounded by the higher level player, but otherwise just roll with the punches.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 am

I have to say playing on a PvP server was pretty exciting. We played a bit with some friends in WoW on an off, PvP server with them. It kept you on your toes for sure. But there was an extra sensation of enjoyment that came along with that...being nervous and excited all at once that people could come along at any momment and take you out. But I was ready for it if it happened...mentally prepared anyway. I expected it. And when it happens you just have to laugh and say "Oh crap, I got my ass handed to me again" And I feel that to an extent people who play on PvP server should expect it as well. You have to be more thick-skinned and just get on with the game.

And I do disagree with ganking lowbies, but if you're flagged out in the field, then depending on what type of mood I'm in, I may take you out or I may just /wave and blow you a kiss lmao
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 3:29 am

Coldhart wrote:
I have to say playing on a PvP server was pretty exciting. We played a bit with some friends in WoW on an off, PvP server with them. It kept you on your toes for sure. But there was an extra sensation of enjoyment that came along with that...being nervous and excited all at once that people could come along at any momment and take you out. But I was ready for it if it happened...mentally prepared anyway. I expected it. And when it happens you just have to laugh and say "Oh crap, I got my ass handed to me again" And I feel that to an extent people who play on PvP server should expect it as well. You have to be more thick-skinned and just get on with the game.

And I do disagree with ganking lowbies, but if you're flagged out in the field, then depending on what type of mood I'm in, I may take you out or I may just /wave and blow you a kiss lmao

I'm with Cold. When I played Aion, some of the most fun was leveling in the Abyss. Amazing exp and loot, but you had to keep your head on a swivel because the cost of those sweet rewards was the possibility of another player coming to kick your ass. It was a lot of fun fighting to keep control of your leveling grounds, and it definitely broke up the monotony of grinding.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 5:15 am

I don't kill players that are lower then I am unless they're specifically griefing someone, and I only generally kill them the first time as a warning.

Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 am

Hey, but you have to be careful killing a lowbie too. Sometimes it's a trap and there's 2 or 3 high leveled, stealthed players just waiting for you to flag lol
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 am

Coldhart wrote:
Hey, but you have to be careful killing a lowbie too. Sometimes it's a trap and there's 2 or 3 high leveled, stealthed players just waiting for you to flag lol

That my, friend, is why you don't go alone Razz
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:26 pm

May the stealth detection scanner be with you.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Grome wrote:
May the stealth detection scanner be with you.

Aka the flare ability of the BH (I'm sure other classes have one as well).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RP vs ganking Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP vs ganking   RP vs ganking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RP vs ganking
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | Video games | Roleplay Games (MMORPG, WOW...) | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com