The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things

Go down 
+5
Stryklone
Sylrah
HDubNZ
Quince
Darka
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things Empty
PostSubject: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 7:25 am

On every server there is always a group like this.
They maybe a similar style of guild, RP, PvP etc but wont do anything your way and believe their way is the right way and anyone doing otherwise has no respect for them, normally they were one of the first guilds set up. They get annoyed when new guilds come up offering the same thing rather then these players joining the established guilds/
Sometimes the new things gain success, become popular and want to work with the like minded guilds but there is resistance despite the out reach.
Instead of working together they wrk alone and work against you rather then try and really build something special for both groups. We will face it in TOR, on every server. While at launch we may see this not a lot down the line we are more likely to see something like this.

Have you ever had issues with guilds or groups who have no interest in working with you, maybe annoyed by your presence in the server, or your success. Maybe they think something about your group.
Maybe you were the difficult group

We will face these issues, and yes realistically you are not going to like everyone or every guild on your server, but have you faced these issues, what have you done to confront them? How did it turn out?

Love to hear your stories, i believe these will be issues we face in the community building project we are here for, if we can look at the past maybe we can prepare for the future a little better, maybe we can open some eyes on potential issues and how to address them
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 7:25 am

We have had issues with established RP guilds on the server, the guild was started up after many guilds were already set, at first we received a lot of resentment because we didnt come running to join their pre existing guilds.
Then due to our success we soon found ourselves the most dominant RP guild on the server, the other established guilds had shunned us, they didnt even invite us to the server wide enclave, even though we repeatedly made efforts to contact and be involved with them, they felt we should be doing things there way or not at all.
We even attracted members from these guilds too, we didnt go out of our way to steal members, but if people wanted to join we can not do anything about them leaving their guilds to join us.
The Server Enclave disbanded and reformed countless times as the "council" would feel threatened or people would feel annoyed that they werent allowed to progress because they people in charge didnt want to lose power

I gave up trying in the end, i had for the longest time sent personal invites to those involved in the other RP projects to join in, it was a few years later when the super grand Master or whatever their title was finally gave me an answer, and basically addressed many of the issues which had been the problem, the accusation of member stealing.
All members join our guild at free will, we never make the decision for them nor do we make them leave the guild we will and always will help people who are interested in joining us, the issues over not being part of the system were raised, they felt our system was disrespetful to theirs ( even though we were two different groups) and to RP as a whole.
They felt a general lack of respect because we had formed up our own thing rather then attempt to join their on going systems which to my knowledge we were never invited or asked and many did not know of its existance
The leader of the other group and I do not overly talk much, i felt we could not do much more then extend offers for other RPers to want to get involved, but it was good to hear their thoughts and adress those issues raised.
The server wide enclave un surprisingly fell over again, and we helped establish a new one with the other established Jedi order groups of the time, but we were still the most dominant guild on the server RP wise, and saw many of the guilds established fall over. Many of these guilds were made up of older/former members who wanted to start their own thing.
It was tough and an annoying battle, one that in my mind should not have happened in the first place, i can not account for every single member of our communities actions, but i am clear in my mind we did all we could to help embrace and create something, and had no sole intent to steal members,
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 7:26 am

Brought this up on SWTOR-RP.com. i suggest any RPers looking to be part of this project pop over there too Smile
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 am

I don't remember the exact circumstances that ended up pitting our guild against another in Age of Conan, but a definite friction formed between them and us. You don't have to like everyone on the server, you just need to respect their space. Unfortunately the friction turned to griefing and the griefing turned into out and out war. If you saw a group leveling in an area, you'd try to either wipe out mobs so they'd starve or train mobs onto them so they'd wipe. They did that to us and we did it to them. I know, very childish. Imagine the irony we experienced when our guild leader and their guild leader decided to merge guilds... Suspect

I wish I could tell you how that merger worked out, but by the time that mash up was complete I had left my guild, for completely different reasons and no, I'm not talking about the Crazies this time.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:16 am

We had guild friction on WAR when our guild leader got very upset any time someone left us - for whatever reason.

He began accusing other guilds of member poaching and we jumped alliances a couple of times. Our guild finally merged with another and then I left the game. He got progressively worse and then began having running forum battles with former members.

So I guess the only issue we had with other guilds was caused by our on GM. I remember having a vent discussion about a peaceful resolution and then remembered, "Holy hell, this is a bloody game!"

I was over the drama really quick.
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 am

Never got into a RP guild, because every one of them I've ever encountered must've been RPing in party/guild chat, or at least utterly ignoring outsiders. So I never knew of their existence, and neither did I know people to start my own one with... the result being that I didn't see a real difference in behaviour on the server types (except for the rare RP visibly going on, from which I was 100% excluded regardless of my trying to get involved).

It's also stuff like that that makes me not want to join a guild, I don't want to be a part of what I dispise. RP shouldn't be confined to a guild, and I refuse to join a guild that does things like that. Better to be a loner then.

Don't exclude anyone from RP, guilded or not. Doing so will make RP servers be seen as a joke.
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:42 am

Sylrah wrote:
Never got into a RP guild, because every one of them I've ever encountered must've been RPing in party/guild chat, or at least utterly ignoring outsiders. So I never knew of their existence, and neither did I know people to start my own one with... the result being that I didn't see a real difference in behaviour on the server types (except for the rare RP visibly going on, from which I was 100% excluded regardless of my trying to get involved).

It's also stuff like that that makes me not want to join a guild, I don't want to be a part of what I dispise. RP shouldn't be confined to a guild, and I refuse to join a guild that does things like that. Better to be a loner then. ...

For those reasons the only RP I've ever done has been on my own.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Sadly for a long time RPers have had a rep as elitists pushing people away, its slowly changing
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I, for one, am not a giant RPer. But, every once in a while, its cool to jump out of your skin and into another character. I just usually like being "me", but in a Fantasy/ Sci-fi/ Combat environment. Kind of "what would I do, if I was there" type of thing. I even made my Avatar on SWG look as close to "me" as possible. When guildies met up IRL to celebrate, all they could say was...."Man, you look JUST like your toon!"

Anyways, there will always be drama in MMO's...no server will ever be completely free of it. The cool thing is, what to do with the creators of "said drama". Our guild never ever actively recruited. Conversely, if you wanted to leave...there was the door. No one was slowing the "fun train" down....They either "got it", or, they just did'nt fit into what we all thought was "us" in the game. I know, that prolly sounds vastly different to what some of you were used to in guilds. But, we really all were (are) friends.

Horror stories, we had them too. But, 98% of the guild just made the 2% not feel welcomed. I think in 7+ years...we only kicked out 2 people (Rough-Raptors & Burnsyy)...we had a few (5-7) drama issues, but we all worked them out of the guild naturally Smile. That could be a microcosm of what RiG can be (obviously, not as one guild, but many)

Just my .02
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:22 am

How we deal with drama goes a long way to prevent more of it
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Schwendo wrote:
I, for one, am not a giant RPer. But, every once in a while, its cool to jump out of your skin and into another character. I just usually like being "me", but in a Fantasy/ Sci-fi/ Combat environment. Kind of "what would I do, if I was there" type of thing. I even made my Avatar on SWG look as close to "me" as possible. When guildies met up IRL to celebrate, all they could say was...."Man, you look JUST like your toon!"

This made me laugh because my first jedi is almost assuredly going to look like me (unless I play a Kel Dor). Absolutely is he going to make the choices I would make in whatever situation he is in. My anti-establishment tendencies and and likelihood of romancing a companion may prevent me from being pure lightside. I've wanted to be a Jedi ever since I first saw Star Wars and I am going to play it as if I was a Jedi.

My first alt (smuglger) will much more likely be a true RP as he will likely be more selfish than I am, but we will see how he evolves as the story evolves.
Back to top Go down
CitySpiritMama

CitySpiritMama

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 6:27 pm

My more enlightened, sadder but wiser self is screaming at me to run away from this thread. But I can't. It's the train wreck phenomenon I think.

First of all, Quince, I'm curious what server and guilds on AoC you were talking about. PM me? I'd love to know.

To address the topic of the post, I think every guild that makes itself noticeable in any activity is going to be called the problem guild by someone. I have been in the "problem" guilds in AoC, and I have seen other guilds that I considered the problems. It's just the way people - and especially RPers - are, I'm afraid.

If we didn't have personal standards, we would be sloppy, shoddy, uncaring, inconsistent. If we didn't have values, we wouldn't care about anything. If we didn't care, our gaming would be just pressing keys, watching pixels move around in pretty explosions on the screen. If we didn't care, we wouldn't bother to log in just our guildmates need us for some RP, or a raid, or even just chatting in Vent.

But our standards, values, and priorities are not all the same, and sometimes conflict with each other. Petty people will blow it out of proportion, demand that people be blacklisted, etc.

The rest of us just try to find common ground, or shrug and move on if it can't be found or if the others are unwilling.

Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm

CitySpiritMama wrote:
My more enlightened, sadder but wiser self is screaming at me to run away from this thread. But I can't. It's the train wreck phenomenon I think.

First of all, Quince, I'm curious what server and guilds on AoC you were talking about. PM me? I'd love to know.

I honestly don't remember what server I was on. I'll ask around though, a number of people I still play with were on that server... and amusingly enough, I just ran into a couple of more people from AoC in Rift the other day. (How unlikely is it that you'll meet people you haven't talked to in 2-3 years in the game you're playing on your server? I was running a dungeon with their guildies and noticed their ventrillo names in the server list. Truly a surprising moment... Shocked )

The guilds involved with the tussle were Rise of the Triad (my guild) and Elite. Let me see if I can find out the server name.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Rise of the Triad was my first FPS...
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 am

Aldemarran wrote:
Rise of the Triad was my first FPS...

I remember that game... lol. That was an Apogee game and a fun one at that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things   The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stubborn, The Difficult, The Ones who work against things
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com