The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A RiG fansite?

Go down 
+2
Velaxi
Ty-Odi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Ok,

I have been toying with this idea in my mind for a little while now, people have posted that they would like to see this place be a dot com and so on, which is fine, and I am more than happy to sort all this out, once I have worked out all the kinks with Selven as to how this will all work, and to see if this may or may not cause us any problems and so on?

But I was also thinking....

Would their be any interest in making an official fansite based on the RiG and our principles? Rather than just a forum?

There are so many things we could do in this regards, and I don't have all the answers obviously, things are just forming in my mind a little, and I would like to know if their is any support amongst you all, and any interest in taking part to making something like this?

Though I am sure it will be easier to develop and make work once the game is launched what with us being a community and event based collective as apposed to something like Darthater etc, which are more generic fansites, which largely anyways do a copy and paste from the main site with some rewording and personal opinions and for sites like Darthater, they also get the odd interview and so on as well, there are still things we could do to make a little niche for ourselves?

Things we could do perhaps?

• Podcasts

• Event promotion/reviews

• Guild based interviews

• Levelling guides

• PVP basics guides for each class.

• Raid guides.

• Community member interviews

There are plenty of other things we could do perhaps, but obviously in order to do something like this, it would require people who would be willing to help set these things up, take ownership of certain aspects, I would also need to see just how happy Selven would be in building/designing such a site, and so on, but this is more a 'See what you guys think?' type post.

I would just like to know if their is any support in the idea, if anyone would like to come on board and help with this, if you have any ideas or suggestions, and so on?

If there is, I will then off course need to have a proper natter with Selven, and see where we can go from here, there is no rush obviously, as we're a long way from launch, and this is the sort of site which will only ever work really after launch, so time is with us, and we can play with the format, try things, add things, remove things and so on in the meantime, but that will only matter if we have the support to even try this? Smile

So the floor is now yours ladies and gentlemen Smile If your happy as we are, then fine by me, hehe, but if you would like to see us try something more, if you would like more involvement with the site and the community in a guise of a site like this, then speak up, and lets see what we can do? Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Platinum

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Welp.

Let's see...

I like the idea, in principle. You're quite right, there is a lot that can be done.
The question becomes, what do we want to be known for?

Think of WoW, for example.
There are quite a few fansites, and they are all well-known for one thing each.

• Elitistjerks - has a forum that is known for theorycrafting (per class & spec).
  • WoWHead - known for gear & gear assessment/comparison.
  • WoWWiki - while they do "everything", they're most known for "ability breakdowns" of bosses/boss fights/phases. All the rest of their information (theorycrafting, gear, et c) is drawn from other fansites better known for those points.
  • World Of Logs - known for logging and comparing boss fights to server / region / world for both guilds and players. et cetera.

I mean, the list goes on (and on and on), but you get the picture.

So, that means that anything we would decide to do, or rather, that we want to be known for/as - we would need to focus our attention entirely on those aspects and only include other things as a matter of interest.

KnowwutImean?

Else we are not going to be known for anything, as opposed to being known for something.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:26 pm

I like the idea to be more than just a community and I would be fairly interested to work on stuff. The propositions are nice - I agree with Vel though, we should probably not try to make it all but focus our attention to a couple of things.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Oh, I am not intending for one second to try and compete with the like Vel has mentioned, we are a community based group, meaning our site would be based on those types of principals.

Think about things like community art competitions, (For those who played SWG) Home decor reviews, some people in SWG were insane at decor, and a number got articles written about them, with screenies and so on, to show what they had done etc.

We could do write ups on community events, say for example we run a newbie helper event, we can do a write up on them, who helped, what we did, who we helped, some screenies etc, etc.

For every type of community event, we could do the same kind of thing, promote events, do a little write up on events that are planned, and so on.

It would be all community based.

Sure we have end up doing some 'newbie' guides, and things like that, as much as many sites are good at showing you the best end game templates and how to complete end game raids, very few actually bother to concentrate on some of the lower end game play, items they may miss, mission grouping (by this I mean, if you do mission, a, r, z, from here and here, you can run all 3 pretty much at the same time, as they all start roughly the same place, take part in the same place, and so on, the idea is to simply help people do their missions and do so quickly, and affectively.

I am sure many of you could come up with plenty of other things as well? Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:09 pm

I think its a great idea Ty,

Let me get some rest, and I'll jot down some more ideas out of my noggin' Smile
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Look forward to it Schwen! Smile

I just think it could be a bit of fun is all, and help promote our ideals and to draw people in?

If people are given a platform to be promoted among the community for doing awesome events and things, it might encourage others to do likewise? Everyone loves a bit of a pat on the back from time to time, and this would be what we would be about really Smile

We would show 'The other side' to what makes up an MMO. Others would concentrate on the perfect builds, the step by step instructions of how to complete a raid, others will do write ups based on the same reviews already written on the main boards with other words. (I have worked on sites like this, and honestly I never really saw it as much more than copy and pasting with words rearranged from what you could already read on the main boards, but hey ho, lol)

What I would like this idea to be about, is those things which we as a community do, the events, big and small, the fun things, the darn right stupid things, lol, a chance to recognise those people who are so good at those things that so often get overlooked, those unsung heroes and heroines I suppose Smile

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:23 pm

wait a minute - what is a, r and z?
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Grome wrote:
wait a minute - what is a, r and z?

Just generic letters, to signify different quests Wink
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Damn, that confused me! I'm easily confusable tonight.
Man, I really lack any kind of motivation since getting back on my feet. Feel like doing nothing.

Well, anyway. As I said, I am all for this. Gonna do and assist things if I can.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 1:14 am

/confuse Grome

I'm in for a R.I.G. fansite and I really suggest that it is used to showcase the community and events, more than the game dev made content.

There's going to be bazillion game dev made content website all copying each others, anyway.

Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 am

Agreed Az Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 am

Its binomial algebra Grome Wink (I despise Algebra)

Here's how it works...

a= YodaA RiG fansite? 44873< "MMMMmmm!"

r= Darth Maul A RiG fansite? 493948 < "...."

and z= Pizza the Hut (or Grimace...you pick) A RiG fansite? 895574 < "Or else PI-ZZA is gonna take out for YOU"

Hehe

Seriously, Ty, I think that once TOR launches we'll have a very easy time setting up the fansite. We can showcase IG screenies...even video of player events...just silly/ fun stuff. Or PvP/PvE battles we host on our server(s). Or a RiG hosted RP event. As far as pre-launch, we can always set it up as a "Hey come check us out" site. Even add some images/ video of other games the RiG community play(have played)...
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh good call Schwen Smile

Like I have said, this sort of site will only really work properly as an after launch kind of thing, however, we could indeed do some of the things you have mentioned Smile

We have no rush to get it done though, which is why I would love to discuss ideas for it, and find people who would like to take part and so on.

We can play with the format, and layout and try different things like you mentioned to see how it looks, how it works, and brainstorm ideas on how to make it work better etc, etc.

Lots of things we could do, and some we will only realise after launch I am sure, but I think it will be fun, and give those people who do those different aspects to gaming a chance to showcase their talent, as well as being informative about events and so on. Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 1:14 am

Gotcha,

I'll try and come up with some "pre-launch" fun/hilarity. Be careful what you wish for. Wink This may take a bit, though...I'll keep ya posted. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 am

No rush at all mate Smile

Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Odium

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 am

Great idea, in my opinion. RiG is a different sort of place from the strictly dev-created content angle. We'll need to see where the "need" is after launch.

We've already found that people wanted a low-pressure place to network and introduce themselves and their guilds in a positive environment where ideas are less likely to get shot down. A "fansite" with community as the centerpiece could do a lot of different things, including bringing issues and community needs to the attention of developers.

Discussion will be a main focus of our platform, I know. So ... maybe have guides about how to run successful community events in TOR? Records of things other people have done? Etc?
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 4:00 am

Good ideas! Smile

In my mind, (It can be a scary place sometimes, haha) I see the site as being a social hub, a place where people can come and find out about past events, events that are being planned, read up on some of the things that are going on, some of the people who excel at some of the more unusual aspects of the game/community.

Think of fan art, home decorating, etc, etc. Those kind of things, just a chance for people to be show cased for having those abilities that so often get overlooked.

And yes things like you have mentioned SandsS are defo things we can do Smile We can help people to get their ideas for events up and running, get them out into the communities consciousness, and help promote them and so on Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A RiG fansite? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A RiG fansite?   A RiG fansite? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A RiG fansite?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com