Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheJW

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Undecided
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Sons of Ziost

PostSubject: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:55 am

I wasn't sure where to put this. Since it's guild related, I figured here was the most relevant. Mod/Admin, please feel free to move as you see fit. If this has been discussed before, I apologize. I looked but didn't find anything, could be human error.

begin wall of text:
By now most guilds are pretty much set in which faction they would like to play. If SWTOR is like most other MMOs we will be unable to play as both factions on the same server. Likewise, if we could play both on the same server we would not be able to have the same guild name in both factions. Not to mention that we would not be able to speak to each other in the game. Not a huge deal.

How to sidestep the issue? Obviously we could play as the other faction on another server. Problem solved. Not entirely though. For GMs it creates a need to meet the demands of people on multiple servers. Managing one server worth of guild members is cumbersome enough. Adding to the load is something that many GMs might not be able to handle effectively.

Our goal is to play on one server and that is great. What if we took our community to two? It would definitely increase cross-faction playability. That is a good thing. I am playing Empire but being a Jedi would be pretty awesome. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. That still creates the problem of managing two very separate guilds.

The solution could be that we share members with each other across the servers. We already know that members of RiG are good people. I wouldn't send someone to a Republic guild who wasn't a good person. I would hope no bad people were sent to me, but I can handle it if they are. But it's not entirely win-win.

I am fully aware of the chance that good people may leave my guild entirely to play with the other. It's only safe to assume the opposite is true. Any guild I have ever been a part of, across many games, had members who played on other servers. Some only came over to help with raids. Others didn't really play on our server at all, but wanted a group of good people to come to when they did. It was never really an issue.

I don't expect everyone to want to participate, nor am I 100% sure I would. Getting some measure of interest could be helpful though. How could it be implemented? How active would you want another guild's member to be on your forums? What style of play are the participating guilds interested in? There are many questions that would need to be answered. Lucky for us (unlucky really) we have a while to discuss the topic.

On that note: discuss

/wall of text
Back to top Go down
http://www.sonsofziost.com
Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:32 am

JW,

First off, love the Thunder Cats Avatar! hehe (/cue "Mum-ra")

More importantly,

The Crazies guildmembers are tackling this problem this way. We will have 2 complete guilds in the same server at launch:

1.)The Crazies of Korriban- Imperial/Sith guild (main guild at launch)

2.)The Crazies of the Republic- Republic/Jedi guild (secondary guild at launch)

We will be concentrating on the Imp guild at launch, but, plan on creating the Republic guilds avatars at launch also...This will create some really fun situations on "both" sides of the fence! Smile

CHRIS SCHWEN / GUILD CO-LEADER- CRAZIES of KORRIBAN <-CoK-> (dark) CRAZIES of the REPUBLIC <-CoR-> (light)
Back to top Go down
TheJW

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 am

We obviously have to wait until release to see how the mechanics are but I would imagine that we wouldn't be allowed to create characters from both factions on one server. That is where the need might arise. Then again, maybe BW will be relatively lenient on character creation. We just don't know yet.

If we can play cross-faction on the same server, without creating second accounts, the whole topic is negated. I may get a second account just so I can play on the same server as RiG; joining one of the guilds here to play as Republic. It comes down to what choices we have to make with regards to creation.
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: ARES

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 pm

You are absolutely right when you say we need more info on the server types. All we can do at this point is
speculate... but I like that lol so here's what I think:
Bioware makes such an effort stressing the fact that they would want people to play all of their 8-class-
storylines, that it seems rather unlikely they would not facilitate that in every way possible. Therefore I think you
get 8 character slots and no restrictions server- or factionwise. But that's pure speculation, of course Smile

On a different note, the whole having other faction players' alts in my guild thing is a tricky subject to me personally, but I come from a SW:galaxies server with players of the worst mentality, and I view everything through my PVP glasses most of the time. I don't like drama, so to rule out even the slightest chance, all my empire alts will be on a different server than my mains anyway.

As far as guild names go, I don't see it as a problem, if you are a mixed guild by default, the name doesn't change (okay, given that player accounts aren't faction/server restricted). If you aren't a mixed guild, well... then your sister guild will be that, a different guild and therefore a different yet similar guild name makes sense... Just like Schwen's Crazies. maybe I'm not quite getting your point on guild names though, if so please correct me Smile

Just to clarify, all of the above statements were made under the assumption that accounts will not be restricted to one faction on the same server Smile .

Oh and yeah I second Schwen's comment, the Thundercats avatar is awesome!! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
blur

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Bounty Hunter
Guild: Beskar

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:04 pm

This ties back to things I was saying a week or two ago.

In an ideal world you WILL need to be on two servers.

In a less than ideal world you MIGHT need to be on even more.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Well, considering how they've gone with PVE and PVP rulesets that we know of so far, I'd say it's a good possibility that at least the PVE will allow you to have a character on each faction. They've also let on that you can do cross faction communication.

Personally for me, the answer it quite easy. I don't want to run two guilds at once time of one Republic and one Empire guild, so I'm only worrying about the main Republic guild and am either rolling the Empire alts on a diff server (if indeed you cannot be on two factions on one server,) or on a friendly opposing faction guild such as the Crazies of Korriban, which is a RiG Empire guild.

Back to top Go down
TheJW

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
I don't want to run two guilds at once time of one Republic and one Empire guild, so I'm only worrying about the main Republic guild and am either rolling the Empire alts on a diff server (if indeed you cannot be on two factions on one server,) or on a friendly opposing faction guild such as the Crazies of Korriban, which is a RiG Empire guild.

Those are my thoughts exactly. A second guild is a logistical nightmare waiting to happen. I may have been a bit vague in the original post (was at work and focusing on multiple things at once). What I think is a good solution to the "forced" cross-server issue would be to have friends we could go to. Who better than each other?

I could elect to play on x server, as Empire, with the knowledge that others from RiG are on y server. I would more than welcome any Republic players from anyone here. And I would urge my people to join another RiG guild to play Republic. To add to that, being on another server, people who RP or have "issues" with playing with the other faction would be a bit more at ease knowing they were on a different server than their main characters. Not a big deal for me, but as stated above it is for some.

I'm not suggesting that all Empire or all Republic play on a single server. I look forward to PvP with the people here. Respect in PvP is a concept that I would enjoy seeing for a change. I am saying that we could possibly split among two servers to better enable us to have good experiences if forced to play on more than one.

Whatever happens at launch and however we are forced to play, it's best to be prepared for all that could happen. I prefer being able to stay on one server. The thought of us all playing on one server is what brought me here in the first place.

P.S. Thanks for the Thunder Cats love. And thanks for participating in the discussion. I started this thread to discuss what we could do to help each other given a worst case scenario of forced multi-server play. I appreciate the debate.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Schwendo wrote:
JW,

First off, love the Thunder Cats Avatar! hehe (/cue "Mum-ra")

More importantly,

The Crazies guildmembers are tackling this problem this way. We will have 2 complete guilds in the same server at launch:

1.)The Crazies of Korriban- Imperial/Sith guild (main guild at launch)

2.)The Crazies of the Republic- Republic/Jedi guild (secondary guild at launch)

We will be concentrating on the Imp guild at launch, but, plan on creating the Republic guilds avatars at launch also...This will create some really fun situations on "both" sides of the fence! Smile

I really don't see the problem (Not trying to sound like an a$$ if I do). We've had cross faction guilds before. We all use vent and not too many of us type, but if there are some not in vent then someone who is in vent can type out the plan if needed. TBH we've never had a problem playing both sides and organizing or helping one another out.

I can see it being a little tricky if your guild doesn't use ventrilo or team speak or some form of chat software tho. But we always promote vent. Expecially if we're running group raids or events. Even if people do not wish to talk in vent we always want people in vent at least listening when we run stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

I was going to speak for you , Kai, but I let you explain your "cross-faction" situation. Smile

My answer to the, "If they do not allow you to have avatars on both sides on one server" question is simply to create 2 accounts on the same server. I know financially its a beyotch (<--Selven profanity filter activated), but, for the time we plan on putting into TOR, its more than worth it. That is just "if" they do not allow it.

We'll see, I guess...(holds in his impatience on server info)

CHRIS SCHWEN / GUILD CO-LEADER- CRAZIES of KORRIBAN <-CoK-> (dark) CRAZIES of the REPUBLIC <-CoR-> (light)
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: ARES

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Schwendo wrote:
[...]

My answer to the, "If they do not allow you to have avatars on both sides on one server" question is simply to create 2 accounts on the same server. [...]

Aaaand SWG flashback yet again hehehehe. I don't think I know a person from SWG that only had one account. But I was seriously hoping the days of 4 rows of buffs and 2 accounts to be viable would be over Smile . And then pay 2 accounts and the only benefit is I can play the opposite faction on the same server? Hmmmm not sure I would do that hehehe. Still hoping they are not that restrictive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:05 pm

You are correct Ay'! I had up to 4 accounts active at the same time...what a nightmare..Its like another phone bill every month SadSad...I hope its not that way in TOR, but, I can see it happening...

Back to top Go down
DaStar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Da'Star Trebor-Zar
Class: Sith Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:29 am

Yeah, I agree that it would be like most MMOs andyou would only be able to have 1 faction per server. this would prevent the "infamaous" but very silly Cross-realming. not as bad as it once was. I see both sides of the matter. I also know my partner (nert Ghay!) Schwen and his thoughts on having multipass accounts. I think most of the Crazies from SWG had 2 accounts at least.

1. Have Dedicated servers for each Fraction
So all that want to be Rebs are on one and all the want to be on the correct side (Empire) on another server.
Can even deside once we are closer to knowing what different types of servers will be available at launch then we can even do by play style.

2. Have 1 server for everyone ( so I can kill you my friends.) for your main and pick a Guild that is going to be one of the factions
(and)
have an alt server set up the same way.

The problem with this way is that we all are now split up. but we get to play and kill each other. I think that option 1 is what will most likely happen

Just my 2 and 1/2 cents. and Schwen "F*@# YOUR COUCH!!!!"
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:35 am

UNITY!!!! *PUNCHES Da'Stra*

rofl!!

Back to top Go down
Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:58 pm

DaStar wrote:
Schwen and his thoughts on having multipass accounts.
multipass? Leeloo Dallas multipass !
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Biiiiig Badaboom!
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm

(Bruce Willis): "Yeah, they know itsa multi-pass!!"

(Bruce Willis earlier): "What does Ecto-Gammut mean??"

(other dude): "um....Never...with-without my permission"

(Bruce Willis) "Yeah, thats what I thought..."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem   

Back to top Go down

Cross-faction Guilds: Could be a problem
Page 1 of 1