The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Multi-Character Naming Conventions?

Go down 
+2
Godric_Barbarosa
Aldemarran
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

Multi-Character Naming Conventions? Empty
PostSubject: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

I've been thinking that I would use variations of my screen name "Aldemarran" for my various toons. (Al Demarran, Ald Emarran, Aldemar Ran, etc.) In WoW I found it convenient to be recognizable to anyone I met. However, with the emphasis shifting to storyline, I find myself questioning whether I want to tie down my character names or open up the creativity font.

So my question is this; what are your perspectives on naming conventions vs. free-form naming for a single player's toons?

P.S. I'm flying home in a couple hours so I should start being more active again, hence my opening this topic.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 pm

The name I give my characters, generally, are connected in some way to my characters' class, race, appearance ect. For example, I may use Learned Hand for my Sage or I may save it for my Shadow (who would then be known as "the Invisible" Learned Hand). Another character will be Godric Barbarossa who has a reddish-blonde beard. Barbarossa being the Italian appellation for a king of the Holy Roman Empire that means red beard. If you haven't noticed I also like to use names that are esoteric references. But I'm an RPer at heart so I may be an outlier.
Back to top Go down
Xavier

Xavier

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xavier Dragen
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Zero³

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 5:06 am

My main character is Xavier James Dragen. Xavier is my paternal grandfather's middle name, while James is my maternal grandfather's middle name. They were cool cats in life, so I like to honor them. Why don't I use their first names? Well, Francis John just wouldn't sound as cool Smile

Also, The initials XJ are like the XJ X-Wing series fighter from the New Republic Era. Vague Star Wars reference FTW.

As far as what you're doing, I have no problem with that. It's when you get into fools who use X1LukeSkywaler0 that annoy the crap out of me. Hopefully, their naming filters will block that crap.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks for the comments!

The only problem my friends have had so far is that they can never remember which character is which. For example when they are sending mail they have trouble remembering whether my alchemist is Aldemar Ran or Aldem Arran or...

The trade off was that if I encountered people multiple times while running dungeons they would start to recognize me no matter which alt I was on. I had hoped this would help lead towards meeting communities. Unfortunately WoW's implementation of cross-server dungeons makes meeting the same person twice relatively unlikely at my current playtime levels. (I'm not trying to WoW bash here. To give credit where its due I can now get more dungeon groups in an evening that I used to be able to pull together in a week.)

I had a friend who had all 10 classes to 80 who mentioned he wished he'd used a recognizable set of names to make things easier. That was what lead me to start using a convention.

I guess I'll give the creativity factor more thought and see what happens. Thanks for all your comments!
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:56 pm

A possible solution would be to use different first names and the same last name. For example you could have Godric Aldemarran and Xavier Aldermann. It would be easier for friends/guildies to remember Godric is your Artificer and X is your Biochemist.

I would have to rework some of the names I have thought of but I may do this myself. Though I'd have to find a last name I find equally suitable for several different species.
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
A possible solution would be to use different first names and the same last name. For example you could have Godric Aldemarran and Xavier Aldermann. It would be easier for friends/guildies to remember Godric is your Artificer and X is your Biochemist.

I would have to rework some of the names I have thought of but I may do this myself. Though I'd have to find a last name I find equally suitable for several different species.
Has it been confirmed that we get surnames? If it has I missed that part
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Hmm, Interesting. In older MMO's the name can only be used once. I/E Last name or surname...Hope that is true. I've been working on the geneology of my Republic side toon as a distant ancestor of my SWG Unlocked Jedi toon.

Multi-Character Naming Conventions? 44873 < Interesting, this will be...
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Mongo wrote:
Has it been confirmed that we get surnames? If it has I missed that part

It has not been officially confirmed but it was mentioned in an unofficial and NDA breaking release that I will not repost here because I don't want to get this forum/group on the wrong side of Bioware. It was posted here earlier in another thread but the link in the post has since been deleted.
Back to top Go down
Xavier

Xavier

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xavier Dragen
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Zero³

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Aldemarran wrote:

The trade off was that if I encountered people multiple times while running dungeons they would start to recognize me no matter which alt I was on. I had hoped this would help lead towards meeting communities. Unfortunately WoW's implementation of cross-server dungeons makes meeting the same person twice relatively unlikely at my current playtime levels. (I'm not trying to WoW bash here. To give credit where its due I can now get more dungeon groups in an evening that I used to be able to pull together in a week.)!
I know a guy in WAR who did this, his toons where Omar, Omarshariff, Shariff and a few other versions, that's not you is it?
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 am

Xavier wrote:
... I know a guy in WAR who did this, his toons where Omar, Omarshariff, Shariff and a few other versions, that's not you is it?

Hehe, no.

I only played WAR very briefly and the only name of any interest I had there was a Gobo with something like "Aiyaiowieouch". Aldemarran was my first 60 in WoW, but I switched to a convention when I started playing on Shadow Council. TBH I'm avoiding tossing that convention into a wide open public forum like this. (I'm probably paranoid, nonetheless...) But I'd be willing to PM it if you're that interested.
Back to top Go down
Rafel Xavian

Rafel Xavian

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Rafel Xavian
Guild: Sanctus Amicitia

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 pm

In WoW I had a whole bunch of RP alts that belong to the same family. Like I often played the father, mother and sister of my main char etc. So people who used RP addons that allowed a surname would know me by that. Or even the ones who didn't use any knew em if they had read my background.

Then on the other hand I had my get away chars that were not part of the family. Kept most of them secret so I could play without constant ingame tell spam.

Naming in general.. well I usually make a new name entirely per character or use something I used in some other game with few alterations perhaps. It varies from case to case tbh Wink

IIRC the last I used Raf was in SWG as an alt.
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Sanctus_Amicitia
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 am

That sounds pretty cool RX Smile The "TOR-Brady Bunch" if you will...hehe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multi-Character Naming Conventions?   Multi-Character Naming Conventions? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Multi-Character Naming Conventions?
Page 1 of 1