The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time for a new home?

Go down 
+3
azarhal
Wetworks
Ty-Odi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

Time for a new home? Empty
PostSubject: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Ok guys, I say this with a fair bit of uncertainty as to whether or not this is 100% the way I would like to go with this, but after a discussion with Arzon who is looking at trying to create us a more perminant and more professional site to help us with what we would like to do going forward, and Arzons belief that I kind of agree with and understand to a large degree, is that with the new site, the new .com (What ever it may end up being) and so on, a new site for the forums may also be a good idea?

There are a few reasons I don't want to move, namely.

• I don't want everyone to have to re-register on another site.

• I don't really want everyone to loose their post counts and things.

• I don't want those people who are only fleeting visitors to come along and find we are no longer here but moved elsewhere. (I can do a mass mail out but I cannot guarantee they will read it?)

• And lastly....and perhaps most important for me at the moment, I don't want to do so without first being able to talk to Selven about it, and gauge her feelings on the matter, she did an incredible job and put a lot of effort into creating this site for us, and doing so without her knowledge and without talking to her first just kind of feels a little wrong. Sadly though I have not heard from her for a while now, and I don't know how to contact her outside of these boards to let her know?....hmmmm.

However there are a number of benefits to moving as well.....so....hmmm..

• It can all be tied into one site, making navigation, storing of old data, articles, images etc easier.

• A faster and more profesional site

• We can begin to build the forum layout from scratch using the ideas posted from the off, and have it all set up and ready to go come launch.

• A new site with the forum built in would likely be more attractive to people coming in to have look at us, it presents a much more profesional image to what we are trying to do.

• And of course it is going to be a lot easier for Arzon to do, as he is doing this and it is he who is putting the effort into it, I am not wishing to make this any more difficult on him than is entirely needed.

So there we have it. Just some of my pro's and con's to moving the site. I don't honestly mind which way we go, I leave that with you all. I am happy to go with the masses on this one. So please. I need everyone who reads this to please let me know how you feel about it before we make a final decision on it.

Thanks all

Rob.

AKA. Ty-Odi
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Wetworks

Wetworks

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Unsure-Republic

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:35 pm

typing on behalf of someone who had nothing to do with building this site or community, other then recently joining, my 2cents is just that 2cents. Go where the RIG community goes, new shiny site always sounds nice, especially if it helps out the people running it.

Time for a new home? 756107
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:42 pm

So your name is actually Rob.Yeah, I know another Rob! Hi Rob. Strangely, the Rob I know is a website designer...

I'm good with a new website (and forum). I don't really want to lose all our posts though, but I don't care for my post count.

Is it possible to make the website facade and keep the old forum for a while? Than import the data into the new website?
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:46 pm

azarhal wrote:
So your name is actually Rob.Yeah, I know another Rob! Hi Rob. Strangely, the Rob I know is a website designer...

I'm good with a new website (and forum). I don't really want to lose all our posts though, but I don't care for my post count.

Is it possible to make the website facade and keep the old forum for a while? Than import the data into the new website?

Well we can keep this one as long as we want either way, and any posts we want to move over we can do so as and when we see fit really Smile

I am sure Arzon would know more on the possibilities to this than I would though? Smile
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Well, we have several obstacles if we continue to use this site, mainly because of the fact that it's a free forum hosted by a company that does not permit DB access and porting of the forums elsewhere. They allow you to host a custom domain to point to these forums but at a recurring cost, which just doesn't seem ideal for the purposes of this community. In addition, the free forums are very slow and with the ads and whatnot, they just feel like they diminish the credibility of the community and could deter people from viewing this is a real cause with a lot of thought behind it. I know that's not the case, but it could be perceived as such.

I know it would be a bittersweet deal in that we would lose what effort has been put forth here to date and we would have to do some rebuilding of the community, but the prospect of what we can make this into going forward feels like a much greater benefit. I would picture A LOT of new blood coming to further this cause if a better front is presented and with that, tons of new ideas, features, and activity. It really would be like a massive shot of adrenaline into the community and we can begin to build upon it to offer more reason for people to pay the community a visit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 7:20 pm

There are definately things about the idea that excite me I have to say Smile

I just love the idea that people can load up in game video footage of events and in game screenshots of things, articles on community members, aftermath comments and feedback on things we have done in game, the list goes on and on......

Yeah I am quite excited about it all Smile Just need to make a community decision on the forum aspect now Smile
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 pm

If moving to a new forum is better (and we can't move posts), we are better moving fast. Well fast before discussions restart...

And we can leave a big "Where to find us" at the top of the board (the banner)...

Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Yeah thats true I guess. Can always leave a few messages on here after we go Smile

Ok, need you guys to post in the other thread, with the names and lets figure our what to call this bad boy Smile
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 7:16 pm

I have no special attachment to these boards. I do have some attachment to it obviously because we had some good times here and we figured a lot of stuff out. But as I'm a pretty rational person it would not be difficult for me to move on. The reasons are good enough.

As for the "cons". I strongly agree Selv should know and have a say about this. We're not gonna go "kthxbye" on this.

Moreover, re-registering and losing your posts etc can be kind of a big deal. I personally don't mind for my post count but I'm sure I'm not the only one to be proud to have been part of this for a while now. I wouldn't appreciate losing that but I can get over it, if that's the way to move.

And while it will be sad to leave some things behind in these Forums, it also gives us the chance to start fresh after having figured out a couple of things in here (some things have certainly led to confusion with topics starting different discussions within one thread etc).

For irregular visitors I think a message on here would certainly be enough for them to not be lost. Something like "RIG has moved to ...".

The bottom line is, for me the pros outweigh the cons.

We can start this thing and think about what we actually need over there and get it all ready for launch (or earlier). The way I see it we'll stay here a while longer until we have figured out how we want our future home to look like. We'll have to think about it because this is the time to get it right.

Thanks again for doing this Arzon!
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 pm

One thing we should be able to do is create a "Founder's Group" on the new boards for the transferees. No special priviledges necessarily, but would give some recognition to those who were a part of this "at the begining". It might also take some of the sting out of the move, if you will.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 pm

We can do something like that I am sure Smile
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am

Yep, that is certainly possible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 7:52 am

Sry, just reading this...hectic week (again)...

I think you should definitely get contact with Selv' somehow. She is awesome. I hope you 2 can share other contact info outside th RiG site too Wink.

I would be bummed on the "leaving" for, like Grome said, the "good times" in here. But, its the same people in the new one that will make THAT site awesome, so, no huge deal there.

As far as post count, I don't really care either...I have a ba-gillion, but, I've also had alot to say here too. (some of it actually pertinent!)

Lastly, I think I speak for our band of merry crazy men & women...We'll follow you wherever you go...(not to sound "stalker creepy" or anything)

Hope all works out well Ty!
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks Schwen! Smile

And yeah I would dearly like to get hold of Selven somehow. But so far I have had no joy. I know she did say she would be away for a while due to personal matters, and all i can hope is that they are resolved soon, and she is able to make an appearance once more, because like you said, she is awesome! Smile

Still though, I think this is the right thng to do going forward, it will just allow us to do so much more with the site and the community. A forum like this has been great so far, and has covered our needs very well, but to have the ability of having a front page, being able to promote videos et all, and things would only ever help attract greater numbers to our cause Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Well said Ty...We support ya! /hi5 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for a new home?   Time for a new home? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for a new home?
Page 1 of 1