The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Conversations in MMOs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

Random Conversations in MMOs Empty
PostSubject: Random Conversations in MMOs   Random Conversations in MMOs I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 5:25 am

So I was listening to Corellian Run Radio podcast #21. Towards the end (around 1.5 hours in) one of them mentioned she'd only been spoken to outside of guild chat once while playing Rift.

Obviously if we're trying to spread a server-wide sense of community, communication with people beyond the RiG is going to be important. Therefore I have a question...

What are socially acceptable ways of kick-starting conversations with random people in an MMO?
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Random Conversations in MMOs   Random Conversations in MMOs I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:47 am

Sleeping on the floor with your toon. I'm not joking, some of my friend started a PUG that way with a really fun guy from the West Coast in DDO once.

You know, I don't think there is a good "way", it really depends on the person you are trying to speak to.

I used "lfg" features to join group and talked to them afterwards, but I hate, hate, hate blind group invite (people who see you not grouped and send you a group invite without asking first).

I received /tell from people a few times asking if I needed something or want to join their guild in different MMOs. Unless it's spamming or insults, I don't mind it. The point is to be polite about it.

So in other word: be respectful and mindful of who you are talking to.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Random Conversations in MMOs   Random Conversations in MMOs I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, I'm not gonna talk to whoever unless I see a reason.

So what can the reason be? Maybe I see them wearing an interesting piece of equipment, or I'm just questing in the same area, or maybe I heard of his/her guild. Pretty easy to start a conversation with that.

Why start a conversation with someone out of the blue just for the sake of it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Conversations in MMOs   Random Conversations in MMOs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Conversations in MMOs
Page 1 of 1