AuthorMessage
azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Update 5/6/11   Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 pm

We get a blog on the Codex.

It got 3 new screenshots (of the new UI).
A Rattataki Sith Inquisitor.

and more information about Datacron.

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Voxe Kraayen
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: None... yet

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Not counting the Codex, two pieces of information caught my eye today,

Love,
TK
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Fri May 06, 2011 5:05 pm

I jizzed at the permanent stat increase thing from finding datacrons.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Horeon wrote:
I jizzed at the permanent stat increase thing from finding datacrons.

This has been known for a bit and apparently hardcore raiders hate it with a passion. I'm an explorer type so I'm perfectly fine with it.
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Well, I'm a raider, and I don't hate it.
There's always a lot to do to get ready & optimized for a raiding character; this is just one more thing.
Which happens to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
This has been known for a bit and apparently hardcore raiders hate it with a passion. I'm an explorer type so I'm perfectly fine with it.

Some hardcore raiders hate everything that doesn't have anything to do with raiding in MMOs and would prefer if they were not in the game.

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 4:24 pm

azarhal wrote:
Some hardcore raiders hate everything that doesn't have anything to do with raiding in MMOs and would prefer if they were not in the game.

Now, now.. Don't be mean Sad

Are you two sure you mean hardcore raiders and not elitist raiders? While I can in no way call myself a hardcore raider, I definately was a dedicated one, on the verge of being hardcore, and I loved every aspect of the MMO that shall not be named! Honest!

Back on the subject of Datacrons though, why would raiders hate it? Do you mean..

OMFG, BIOWARE, WTF!!! why do you hate raiders so much? Why are u forcing us to hunt ur shitt datacrons by making them give STATS OMFG BIOWAAARE!!!!

... this type of behaviour?
Back to top Go down
azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Elitist might be a better term here...but I did say some....Which mean they probably are Hardcore Elitist Raiders.

And the posters on the official forum have been more polite about the subject. Tthe cm might have removed the inappropriate posts, but their logic isn't exactly amazing: I know where I can get my gear, why do I have to look for datacrons? They just don't understand that they are exploring rewards, not something that everybody need to get.

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 5:57 pm

I understand the types of posters you're referring to. Having spare time and being bored, I've actually read through the threadnaughts Should Raiders have the best gear?, Are you for or against Add-ons? and similar ones, though not the Datacron one(s).

Frankly the blatant stupidity of some of the arguements on both sides baffles me.

If you're interested in continuing this line of conversation in another thread, I'd love to contribute, as I'm quite interested in how my views on these subjects differs from the community. Here, however.. I'm afraid we've spun quite off topic.

Going back to Datacrons though, I wanted to add that all hardcore raiders (including myself) will get to max level, and then go back and grab all the datacrons that we've missed while levelling. Because why not? I know we don't have much information about endgame so far, however, there are only so many things to do in an MMO, and I'm sure that during those moments when you're waiting around for something, someone, or simply have the urge to go out exploring and hunt down those massive, massive ammounts of stats... we will! Very Happy

Peace.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Check around, we might have threads on those subjects. I know there's one about add-ons.

As for the datacrons, I will find them when I find them.

Just Married

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Like any other game, shortly after release the "method" of acheiving each datacron will be posted somewhere, so it really won't be that big of a deal, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Timekiller

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeah.

Thanks for directing me to your older posts, azarhal, that hadn't ocurred to me. Plowing through an interesting discussion about the Trinity right now!

Couldn't find the one about addons though, at least not yet.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Timekiller wrote:
Here, however.. I'm afraid we've spun quite off topic.
Yep, that's unacceptable. Or in other words, we are very good at it.

I don't think hardcore / elitist raiders are the ones that would complain about datacrons. They invest a lot of time already so that shouldn't bother them. And if they don't want to explore during their playthrough they can just get them when they are max level, by which time for sure there will be numerous websites that have guides on how to find them all.

It's probably gonna be the casual/regular raider that complains about this. They don't raid as much, they don't put as much preparation into it, so if anything it would go against their plans of taking it casual (fears obviously being that all those stat boosts will be a necessity for raiding).

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Timekiller

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Grome wrote:
Yep, that's unacceptable. Or in other words, we are very good at it.

It, and double-posting!

And while we're on the subject of 'forum stuff', is it permissable to necro threads that are 1month + old or should I simply create a new topic?

Grome wrote:
It's probably gonna be the casual/regular raider that complains about this. They don't raid as much, they don't put as much preparation into it, so if anything it would go against their plans of taking it casual (fears obviously being that all those stat boosts will be a necessity for raiding).

That echos my thoughts exactly.

Back to top Go down
azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Timekiller wrote:
And while we're on the subject of 'forum stuff', is it permissable to necro threads that are 1month + old or should I simply create a new topic?

permission granted.

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sun May 08, 2011 1:39 pm

We could certainly add necro-ing to that list of side-tracking and double posting... Wink

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sun May 08, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm an explorer by nature so I love the concept of the datacrons. What a nice bit of bonus for finding things that are obscured. As to the hardcore raiding, I've done that too (in the game that shall not be mentioned). Thinking back to those days, what bothered me was alternate paths allowing players to get similar gear that I'd worked so hard to get in raids. It cheapened part of the reason for raiding, the gear. But the datacron boosts stats, which compliments the gear. To me this is a win-win. Players that don't want to raid can get better and players that do want to raid will get better still.
Back to top Go down
Timekiller

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sun May 08, 2011 6:56 pm

While reading through the forums, I stumbled upon an interesting post by Kandycane, the first player to ever find a Datacron (during the fan summit).

Original: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5988906#post5988906

Quote :
Quote :
I am very eager for more information on this subject.
1) Are they a single item or is it a one per person/location deal
2) What are the stat increases?
3) How is this going to affect PvP? Will it come down to who has the most?
4) is there a limited supply 50/50 or is it an ever growing number?

/Discuss.
Since probably not everybody will read my post and because I didn't go in exact detail about it I'll go into a bit more finer detail here.

I'll address the questions in a body of text format describing what I actually "encountered" and then try and summarise at the end for people that don't necessarily want to read a body of text.

Essentially I got in range of 1 and the "Quest available here" icon appeared on my minimap, the range of this seemed shorter than other quest available here icons which seemed to appear the moment you were in range of them rather than within around half the most zoomed out minimap radius. It was certainly not obvious, I moved away from the medcenter just a bit and the quest icon disappeared.

It was obvious from the minimap that this "thing" was on a hill, I searched around the hill trying to find a cavern.. presuming it was inside because TOR's map isn't the best at distinguishing between inside and outside a building I got glimpse of a big blue halo which sort of matched where I needed to go, I had to go search for the object to actually see it though, it was a blue cylindrical type pillar of light, essentially surrounding the object, it didn't go far into the sky or anything I just got into a decent angle to see it poking out just above the wall, it was not obvious.

The only way to get up there was to go around a quarter of the way clockwise of the object where a pipe bridged up against the hill was located, however there was scaffolding placed on the pipe, sort of like laid across it in a sort of |\|\|\| fashion and you had to jump between the straight and diagonal bits of scaffolding where your jump just about reached the centre of each part. I fell off a few times whilst attempting this, so it's not like this was necessarily the "easiest" platforming, not hard but you know it required me to put effort in.

After getting up the pipe I had to skirt across the circumference of the hill and had to make one last jump to get to ridge with the datacron located upon it. I could activate it, and I had dialogue about what it did, it said it would give me a +1 agility bonus and I then obviously accepted it and I got a stat increase, I'm pretty sure it was agility, I look at the Trooper vanguard screen that was capped and see no mention of agility so it might have been Aim, so don't take my word on that.

The bonus was applied and I got a Codex entry of 1/3, I didn't read it because I didn't want to spoil myself with the codex entries and mostly because I didn't want to spend precious time I had already spent on getting this object to read it, presumably the 1/3 was referencing the amount of these datacrons that are on the planet Nal Hutta, that being 3.

The datacron didn't despawn after use so presumably these are permanently placed for people that find them and they are definitely a one time use per person, it specifically said "This datacron can only be used once" in the quest/cutscene dialogue.

To answer these specific points in detail:

1) It was seemingly a static item in the world, placed in a pretty hard to reach area (I had to spend around 10-15 minutes trying to figure out how to get up there at least, I was doing other quests in the area, and then I failed 2-3 times at platforming).

The codex entry I got was 1/3, so presumably that mean 1/3 datacrons on Nal Hutta since the Codex is planet specific with the objectives, at least it was for exploring.

2) I had a stat increase of "+1 agility", again this may have been Aim, but I'm 90% sure it said agiltiy. If you look at the trooper character sheet from PAX you can see that +1 of a stat compared to his +580 or so in endurance/cunning is pretty small, I highly doubt that +1 of a stat is "so important" as a lot of people seem to be implicating, also remember the character sheet was from a level 32 character, still 18 levels from the max.

3) Probably answered this in my second point but in WoW say... the difference between using one of those... special alchemy flasks that gives +80 to your primary stat and not using it was always very minimal for me, it's like the difference between taking a talent that gives a 1% dps increase and not, sure it's going to make you "more effective", but it's never going to be the biggest factor.

4) Again, probably answered in 1, but there was certainly a limited amount of codex entries associated with the datacrons so presumably that infers a limited amount of datacrons in the world.

Ahem.

AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Sun May 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Thank you for posting that TK. It makes sense and sounds like the datacrons are intended to be a fun challenge as opposed to a necessity for the end game. I like that.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   Mon May 09, 2011 10:45 am

Yep, and the datacrons will grant a permanent stat increase when you find each one : ) me likie!
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update 5/6/11   

Back to top Go down

Update 5/6/11
Page 1 of 1