The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite or recommended book series?

Go down 
+14
Mli
Darka
Aurabesh
Mongo
Stryklone
Quince
Lord_Paladin
Velaxi
azarhal
Lugaidh
Grome
Ty-Odi
Variable
Kai-Sun
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tas

Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Wheel of time is possibly one of the best in world, I have it on Audio book, an I listen to it each day while out walking. Amazing series.
The Reality Dysfunction is one series I cant recommend enough, If you like Scifi at all, this series will definaty hook you from page one to end.

A fantasy series called Wizards first rule, I have read it possibly 10 times over all the books, again cant say enough about it.
Back to top Go down
Rayviin

Rayviin

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 6:00 am

Tas wrote:
Wheel of time is possibly one of the best in world, I have it on Audio book, an I listen to it each day while out walking. Amazing series.
The Reality Dysfunction is one series I cant recommend enough, If you like Scifi at all, this series will definaty hook you from page one to end.

A fantasy series called Wizards first rule, I have read it possibly 10 times over all the books, again cant say enough about it.

this series is actually named The Sword of Truth with Wizards First Rule being the first book. I agree this is a good series though I
found the basic plot to be somewhat repetitive from book to book. Imo Faith of the Fallen is the best in this series.

Also, if you're someone who liked the books in WoT that Brandon Sanderson wrote I think you would enjoy his Mistborn trilogy
as well. Very well put together.

Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 6:27 am

Yeah, I got really annoyed with the Sword of Truth series.
I don't much care for authors using their literature as a soapbox for their political views.
I got as far as faith of the fallen, and couldn't read any more of it.
Back to top Go down
Rayviin

Rayviin

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:07 am

Another one of my favorite series is actually a for young adult readers (no laughing) Wink
It's called The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. Loved these books when I was younger and I still enjoy re-reading them
occasionally.

Also, Path of Fate trilogy by Diana Pharaoh Francis. Very enjoyable read imo. Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 355691

Just a quick edit to talk about some picks others have mentioned. I have to agree with Darka that Enders Game was good but the
next ones lacked something for me...
Don't remember who posted about the Thomas Covenant series but I have to say I could not get past the first few chapters. Honestly, it almost made me ill pale (I hope I'm thinking of the right book here. the anti-hero one right?)

well that's all from me for now cheers
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 am

Rayviin wrote:
Don't remember who posted about the Thomas Covenant series but I have to say I could not get past the first few chapters.
Yeah, once you get past the real-world modern-day leprosy sufferer, it gets good.
Er... yeah.
You could actually skip those chapters IMO; he did it for character-building, to provide insight later on, but it's not really necessary.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 am

As a young man I was introduced to Tolkien early by mum, but it was way over my head.

Eddings from age 13 until but really only the Belgariad and Malloreon.

Feist from the same age until his latest effort - it's running out of steam a little.

Dune early on but not much more. I do tend to read biographies as well so if you want to read a great biography that might encapsulate some of what we're looking for then try, "When Pride Still Mattered." It's the biography of Vince Lombardi.

I haven't really found much else to capture my senses but I am going to start looking for Old Republic stuff. There is some good looking Darth Bane literature around.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:38 am

HDubNZ wrote:
I haven't really found much else to capture my senses but I am going to start looking for Old Republic stuff. There is some good looking Darth Bane literature around.
The Darth Bane trilogy is very good! I made no mistake picking that up.

I'll be looking into some TOR stuff around the game time. Fatal Alliance is one and Az said another one is being written.
Back to top Go down
Tas

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Anita Blake Vampire hunter is possibly one of the top 5 of my all time series. Very worthwhile, dont let the cheesy title put you off. Its extremely professionally written.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Grome wrote:
The Darth Bane trilogy is very good! I made no mistake picking that up.

I'll be looking into some TOR stuff around the game time. Fatal Alliance is one and Az said another one is being written.

Deceived is to be released in March, it's the story of Darth Malgus, the book is written by Paul S. Kemp.

By the way, Grome, I already received my Bane trilogy books. Took only two days (unusual), I guess faith knew I was going to be sick Saturday and wanted me to have something to read. Wink

Oh and the Bane books now have the "A novel of the Old Republic" tag as well, I claim it's new because two of the books have it (re-edited) while the other doesn't (original printing). I found a few "references" to TOR already, like Sith Warriors and Marauders or apprentice use training sabers, just like the ones in TOR.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:21 pm

azarhal wrote:
By the way, Grome, I already received my Bane trilogy books. Took only two days (unusual), I guess faith knew I was going to be sick Saturday and wanted me to have something to read. Wink

Oh and the Bane books now have the "A novel of the Old Republic" tag as well, I claim it's new because two of the books have it (re-edited) while the other doesn't (original printing). I found a few "references" to TOR already, like Sith Warriors and Marauders or apprentice use training sabers, just like the ones in TOR.
As the first book was released in 2006 I don't know if it was really a wanted "reference"... could be though, yes. But I haven't found the series to be especially filled with "references", but maybe I'm just blind Wink

Well, good you had something to read then.
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Rayviin wrote:
Don't remember who posted about the Thomas Covenant series but I have to say I could not get past the first few chapters. Honestly, it almost made me ill pale (I hope I'm thinking of the right book here. the anti-hero one right?)

That was probably me. It took me three attempts to finish Lord Foulbane, the first book. The initial 100 pages is just so much tripe, but I had friends who told me "just keep going, it gets much better". By the time I finished the first book, I knew I had to read the whole series. It becomes so good, so addictive. It's a shame he turned off so many readers at the start.
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Quince wrote:
It's a shame he turned off so many readers at the start.

I'm one of those many and glad the book was borrowed instead of paid for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite or recommended book series?   Favorite or recommended book series? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite or recommended book series?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2