The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Cause of the Loss of Community

Go down 
+5
Baelyrn
azarhal
Grome
Kai-Sun
Darka
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

The Cause of the Loss of Community Empty
PostSubject: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Its a slow day at work Smile

What do you think has been the biggest contibuting factor to the "decline" in Community in gaming?
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Lack of respect and the power of anonymity. They feel that they don't have to be held accountable for their actions because you can't do anything about it.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 pm

And it's a vicious cycle too: the more decayed the community the more anonymous you are.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Are games to blame or are we just seeing the effect of more people with internet access too
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Darka wrote:
Are games to blame or are we just seeing the effect of more people with internet access too

Think a little bit of both. Rise in games have brought rise in people playing online, and that brings the people who help create the problem.

I think it's mostly the power that can be abused with the anonymity on the internet (to a point, skilled people like my brother can still find out who you are and where you live, so be careful who you piss off,) and also because a great deal of people don't band together like we do, to make it seem like anything but the norm.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Attitudes too?
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Darka wrote:
Attitudes too?

Some people I feel give into peer pressure of have a bad sense of identity and chose to emulate those around them, or find it's easier to go with that kind of attitude because they're in it for themselves and not willing to spend the energy to actually create an awesome community.

Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 pm

All I have to say is: September 4, 476.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:29 pm

azarhal wrote:
All I have to say is: September 4, 476.

Ouch. Yet it's so true.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 pm

I feel like with the introduction of new kinds of people to the world of online gaming changed a lot.

I think online games are often considered as distraction only, not as a social experience. There is a tendency for people to think only of themselves and let the bad boy out in the virtual world, which they can't afford to do in the real world.
Back to top Go down
Baelyrn

Baelyrn

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 pm

This is something I have given some thought.

Anonymity is a problem, but there still must be a reason why some people just don't care about other people's feelings. Why they feel they can treat people however they like. May be it's just the way they were brought up.

I remember an anthropologist on some science documentary explaining how the brain sizes of apes correlated with the size of their community. He then calculated that with the same correlation the optimal size of a human society would be 150 people. This got me thinking, maybe some people's brains just can't handle too many people. I feel the number may be significantly lower than 150 for some though. May be the people who show compassion and kindness to people around and close to them simply cannot fit other people in their brain. Other people do not matter anymore.

And what about the kind of people who go out of their way to harass and grief others? Revenge. I once met a woman in the street who was kicking a bicycle, I asked if she had problems with it and if I could help. She then threw the bike to a ditch and said it wasn't even hers and admitted she had stolen it. Then she said she had lost a bike to a thief so she was only getting back what was hers, so she took a random bike when she needed.

People get hurt or mistreated in their life constantly. I believe some people just aren't able to let go and feel some kind of restitution is needed. And because they very rarely can get back at the person that's actually wronged them, if infact it's a person at all and not just bad luck they've had, they go after a random person, and they go after another one. It's a vicious circle.
Back to top Go down
Redriot

Redriot

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Draven
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Darka wrote:
Its a slow day at work Smile

What do you think has been the biggest contibuting factor to the "decline" in Community in gaming?
PPl are greedy, and at high end content in alot of mmos, thats where the true colors of a person shows. When your a high level do you help the lower levels? You will find that alot of mmo games ppl dont, and act like thier shit dont stink. Then when it comes to grouping everyone got to know thier role, problem is the way ppl talk to each other shows lack of repect. I always think a vent system will prevent that, cause best way to really know someone is a voice. Best way really is to be in a guild of ppl that know each others mood swings and sense of humer. PPl typing sarcasim sometimes they dont think that ppl wil be offended, when really the person behind the sarcasim thats the way they are kinda a funny guy/girl. Its nature of beast everyone knows right things to say, its a matter how u say it ..xD
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Honestly, I think it goes deeper than our online interactions. I believe there has been a steady decline in our social interactions as people. Take when I bought my first home last year as an example. We only had one neighbor come by and welcome us to the neighborhood. I gave it a week and then introduced myself to the surrounding neighbors who didn't come by and I got looked at like I was selling something. Remember when the neighbor threatened to tell your dad when they saw you doing something wrong? Those days are gone. So the need to be part of a community has given way to this urge to be completely self sufficient.

So, you take this hyperinflated sense of "mind your own business" and you couple that with the anonimity of the internet which allows people to embrace their darker thoughts without fear of reprisal and you have a climate that is fairly hostle to good sentiment. Those few that want to cause trouble do so, and the rest just mind their own business, and before you know it this atmosphere starts to snowball.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Variable wrote:
So, you take this hyperinflated sense of "mind your own business" and you couple that with the anonimity of the internet which allows people to embrace their darker thoughts without fear of reprisal and you have a climate that is fairly hostle to good sentiment. Those few that want to cause trouble do so, and the rest just mind their own business, and before you know it this atmosphere starts to snowball.

Exactly my point. Somehow you just happened to put it a little better... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Baelyrn wrote:
And what about the kind of people who go out of their way to harass and grief others? Revenge. I once met a woman in the street who was kicking a bicycle, I asked if she had problems with it and if I could help. She then threw the bike to a ditch and said it wasn't even hers and admitted she had stolen it. Then she said she had lost a bike to a thief so she was only getting back what was hers, so she took a random bike when she needed.

O_o

Some people have such a strange sense of propriety.

And think a lot of it have to do with how people where raised. People often claim that I'm really polite, but my comportment was created by how I was raised. And now what I see is parents who don't give a damn about how they kids are raised, they let the tv, school, etc raise their kids. Which give us "me, me , me" and "I don't give a damn, give me that NOW!".

I'm saying this, because I technically had I really bad grade/high school. Almost no friends and lots of people mocking me (fat + curly hair + nerd/geek + girl =>.made for all of a combo). Yet, I don't feel angry about them...
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Part of the reason i started that behnd the player thread was to put a name to a face to help build a personal connection to the player/game that is sorely missed
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Darka wrote:
Part of the reason i started that behnd the player thread was to put a name to a face to help build a personal connection to the player/game that is sorely missed

I like the thread, I do feel it helps with that connection, and while I can understand some not wanting to post their pictures for various reasons, I'd hope that if all your worried about is if we'd pick on you or something, that I believe we're all quite a bit more mature then that. The quality of a person is not measured with looks, but in their soul and in their personality.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:12 pm

While I agree with Variable about the society at large, I don't think it applies to MMO's becasue they haven't been around long enough.

I think it has to do with accessibility. Which is odd for me to say because I didn't get into MMO's until they became accessible the public at large (WoW) and I will solo all soloable content.

The old MMO's were hard. They were hard to learn and were nearly impossible to play solo. You had to be considerate to people or you wouldn't be able to learn or play the game. Now I can get on any MMO and learn it in 5 minutes and play for years and I never have to be considerate to another person.

Unfortunately, I think SWTOR will be the same way. The SWTOR forums already are evidence of this. That is why I think building a community like we are trying to do here is so important. I will again thank Ty, Selven, and everyone else here.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
Unfortunately, I think SWTOR will be the same way. The SWTOR forums already are evidence of this. That is why I think building a community like we are trying to do here is so important. I will again thank Ty, Selven, and everyone else here.

Don't take the forums "community" for what the game community will look like. A few of them won't like the game, I can guarantee it.
Back to top Go down
Azuren

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 am

I have been in groups with people and they being jerks and I will find myself being one too so there is that factor.

and then is the shooter gamer attiudes seems to be very negitive not saying all are but alot of them get the me me attitude. well the right words to describe it escape me atm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cause of the Loss of Community   The Cause of the Loss of Community I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cause of the Loss of Community
Page 1 of 1