AuthorMessage
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dayn
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild:

A colaborative RP Republic Empty
PostSubject: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 pm

So I've always had this idea (even though I know it may be impossible). Since we really can't interact with the NPCs, outside of what we're given as part of our class stories, how awesome would it be to have some sort of organized republic organization?

In my wild imagination, it wouldn't be one guild, but an alliance of guilds. One guild would be the Jedi Order, another would be Republic Central Command, and then there may/may not be a smuggler organization (with them being arranged however they want, or being able to join any organization as "friends of" sorta status). I don't know what sort of alliance/coalition support there will be (if any). My original idea included a RP website for the server (similar to our friends over at www.swtor-rp.com) and anyone could join in, even if they weren't part of the official guild (those are really optional to my idea).

So my question is two fold. In a perfect world, does this sound like it would something fun that you would want in order to enrich your RP.

And two, how could we possibly implement something like a Jedi Council (not a Jedi High Council, since we have those as NPCs), a Republic Command (probably not a general, but perhaps someone in charge of a battalion or something), etc...? How could we set this up so that people would find it fair and fun?
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Should be maybe elected people to represent the positions , nominated by the RP community for people they think would be the best at RPing such a thing. It'd pull from all available guilds in the community, so you'd be part of said organization based on class.

Each group could come together to decide their own criteria should they feel the need for one, and have maybe sub forums on here to communicate ideas within before they go to the greater community.

I don't know, have to think more of how to actually pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 pm

it could be server wide, but with this I issue caution.

SWG did class reps similar to this idea, and it became little more than a prestige thing, and people ruined it.

If I were you, and I love this idea, though I will roll an Inquisitor as my main, I would do this in house.

There will likely (Hopefully anyways) be a number of republic guilds on here come the time of launch. So if I were you, I would set up councils/federations which ever, for each class type.

I would not worry about rank, or NPC ranks having already taken top slots, RP is RP and you can be who ever you want to be Smile

I would set up a Jedi Council, you have two Jedi Classes, and from here you have your council men, your masters, and then your nights, padawan, etc, newbie start at the bottom and you work your way up.

Same for the other classes as well.

We did something quite similar in SWG between us and a guild called IHC, and it worked quite nicely Smile Though ours was purely military, as jedi types were not supposed to even exist really, lol.

The guild leaders tended to hold the higher offices, then the guild officers and down and down. Not always, as some did not RP and as such those roles were filled by the better RP'ers.

It worked really well, but it is an awful lot of work, it really is, there is also no reason at all we could not set up some areas here on the boards for something like that, it would be very easy in fact, you could have your own areas for Jedi/Smuggler/etc. We could do the same for the Empire if people wanted too.

I was actually going to suggest something similar to this at some point, when we got nearer to it anyways, which was to have a RIG based Senate.

Guild leaders/Officers/RP'ers and so on, would help form the Senate, and it would have us on both sides of the devide. Would also be fun to organise events, start fights and so on, which we then took out of the council room and onto the battlefield Smile

Man RP.....How I have missed you.......This idea has got that part of my mind beginning to crank itself off its rusty springs and back into life.....lol Smile

Awesome Idea, and I hope you can pull it off, and if I can help in any way to get this set up, let me know Smile

A colaborative RP Republic Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Ty-Odi wrote:

I was actually going to suggest something similar to this at some point, when we got nearer to it anyways, which was to have a RIG based Senate.

Ted Kennedy = Jabba?

In all seriousness, as you said it needs to be kept in house, on the RIG forums. You can invite people to come be a part of it and register on the site. And idea anyway.

I'm not a HEAVY rp'er but I wouldn't mind doing this from time to time, though I'm not sure in what capacity. I don't think it'd be limited by guild rank either, though I'm sure those that are GM's on RP guilds probably tend to be heavy RPers.

Should we limit it to one type of position? As in, I'm not going to be a Master on the Council AND Top Brass on my Trooper?

Assuming Ty and Selven don't mind the work of setting up an RP section with each organization name (which makes me think, we'll need regular class forums when game launches,) once enough people get on board and hammer out the exact names and such.

Also, as Ty said, make sure we stay away from the "ooo prestige" thing, it'd be an honor to server on the council etc, but it should be taken seriously for the sake of the community over personal gain of any sort.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, there are a few main problems I see.

1) As you mentioned, being more about prestige than community
2) People viewing it as a popularity contest
3) People feeling like they -have- to do what our council wants

For this, I've had a couple ideas.

1) The council could be based on guilds. Each RP guild gets to have 1 seat on the council. There would need to be a minimum requirement, so that you don't have a council with 50 people having 1 seat, and a guild with 4 people having 1 seat.

2) I think in order to be eligible for a seat, you should have organized and run a community event (either individually, or as a guild)

3) The council is there for RP, and is not in a position of authority. The council's purpose would be for:
A) Events
B) Knighting trials/ceremonies

By events I mean, we have a scheduled period where the council meets, and RPers can bring an issue before the Council. The Council RPers would have certain guidelines they would need to abide by when RPing, but otherwise things could be discussed on the forums (either here, or wherever RP is held).

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 6:10 pm

We have seen server wide groups try to come together time and time again but nothing seems to have been pulled off, its an interesting project idea that could be pulled off, but i think your best bet would be creating a guild for every branch you want to be there.
Makes management a lot easier,
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Darka wrote:
We have seen server wide groups try to come together time and time again but nothing seems to have been pulled off, its an interesting project idea that could be pulled off, but i think your best bet would be creating a guild for every branch you want to be there.
Makes management a lot easier,

The problem I see with this is recruitment/allegiance.

For obvious reasons I would want quality groups like your own to be part of this. That simply isn't possible unless all guilds willing to be involved would voluntarily dissolve and merge. And then you have latecomers that didn't know about it beforehand.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

I think, as stated before, that it's best they not be guilds. Especially since Selven brought up the idea before of hoping for being able to create your own chat channels, meaning we could link with the entire community and be one large guild anyway while retaining our own tags and structure. I think that serves the group better then trying to group people by class.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
I think, as stated before, that it's best they not be guilds. Especially since Selven brought up the idea before of hoping for being able to create your own chat channels, meaning we could link with the entire community and be one large guild anyway while retaining our own tags and structure. I think that serves the group better then trying to group people by class.

Exactly.

If we could do something like a global chat, or form an alliance of guilds, or what not, that would be ideal.

This way would also still allow for people who are not a part of an RP guild to be involved.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:14 pm

I'd say it's definitely possible and worth a shot, though I don't have much RP experience so...take my advice with a grain of salt. lol
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Can the Dark Lord of Spam infiltrate this Republic of yours? Very Happy

A colaborative RP Republic Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 am

Only if he uses his companion "Eggs"
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 am

I do not like Imperial spam, Sam I Am, I do not like them with Bothan plans.
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 am

Ty-Odi wrote:
Can the Dark Lord of Spam infiltrate this Republic of yours? Very Happy

Psst, we'll just make the empire equivalent... only better.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:35 am

If you can gather a few like minded guilds you could get off the ground, many are always weary of these types of projects, partly because the leadership thing often never gets done realistically. While the Republic does have a command structure and people wont want to be told what to do by others if they feel these people are tools ( sadly in many of the projects its people in control who have no idea wtf is going on)

I would find it hard to place our guild somewhere in there due to our back story about being a seperate enclave, ( think Dantooine in KOTOR) but still being part of the Order. The setting for TOR has us rebuilding at the request of the Jedi Council and the Republic.

We are all for working together, and I will say it now many of us would be interested in this concept, but how its done would be a big seller for us, being our own organisationg gives us our own freedoms and we are only responsible for ourselves
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:36 am

Galactic Alliance Thread on TOR forums

Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:47 am

Darka wrote:
If you can gather a few like minded guilds you could get off the ground, many are always weary of these types of projects, partly because the leadership thing often never gets done realistically. While the Republic does have a command structure and people wont want to be told what to do by others if they feel these people are tools ( sadly in many of the projects its people in control who have no idea wtf is going on)

I would find it hard to place our guild somewhere in there due to our back story about being a seperate enclave, ( think Dantooine in KOTOR) but still being part of the Order. The setting for TOR has us rebuilding at the request of the Jedi Council and the Republic.

We are all for working together, and I will say it now many of us would be interested in this concept, but how its done would be a big seller for us, being our own organisationg gives us our own freedoms and we are only responsible for ourselves

And that's exactly why I started this thread, Darka. If I were to post this on the TOR forums, I wouldn't be able to get a rational discussion going without a spamfest.

So my question to you, as a guild leader.

What are your major concerns, and what could be done to help allay those concerns. If you have them, likely other guilds will as well.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 am

Major concerns for my group ( personally)
-Where Our story will fit in with the big picture, ( I understand thinsg can be re written its just a pain in the ass)
-Leadership needs to be competent ( and not afraid to lose power or promote players )
-Guilds/People Involved. Need to know who I am working with/for type of thing.
-Clear, understandable and defined objectives and outlines are needed.
-Freedom/Controls and general expectations of the guilds

I have always been cautious with these ideas partly due to experiences and never seeing one work well Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm

-Where Our story will fit in with the big picture, ( I understand thinsg can be re written its just a pain in the ass)

* As I envision it. The council would be an "RP Prop." Each member guild would have an RPer seated on the council. This person would RP the Counselor, and the guild could replace their rep if they wanted to. This person's only really main job would be to be the figurehead, and to RP a VIP for events. For example, your guild comes up with a community event (not to be confused with ones that you run just for your guild). This event would be shared with the other Council members, and they would help play a part in getting the event going, for whatever it is. They would have a part in the monthly "council meeting" where players could come up to them and say "This is my Padawan, I believe he is ready for the trials." or "So and so stands accused of crimes against the galaxy and falling to the dark side." (if someone wanted to RP that trial, we're not policing people here, it's all voluntary). Perhaps someone seeks the opinion of the council, or people want the councils opinion on their own RP event. Etc..

-Leadership needs to be competent ( and not afraid to lose power or promote players )

Ultimately, like all good leadership, they should be servants of the community. I think this could be accommodated via rules and requirements to become one. Would it allay your fears if there were a good set of standards? I envision it being something like this. The council would be 12 members. Each guild would have 1 counselor, and be responsible for running a community event one month of the year. If there are more than 12 guilds, then the counselors would be rotated after they have run their event. Also, in order to get a seat on the council, you would need to run a community event (which should help ensure that there is always something going on). This isn't the total of the rules, but a brainstorm sample of what I'm thinking.

-Guilds/People Involved. Need to know who I am working with/for type of thing.

There would, of course, be rules of conduct to remain a part of this for all, and probably a list or somewhere that keeps track of who is responsible for what. The idea, however, is not to be insular. Meaning any RPer could take part in the events/etc.. they just couldn't become a counselor without agreeing to the rules.

-Clear, understandable and defined objectives and outlines are needed.

Did I cover this above? But yes, I agree.

-Freedom/Controls and general expectations of the guilds

Other than being active members, and being held to a certain code of conduct for Council members to act on when RPing a member of such position, I don't foresee it's purpose being restrictive or controlling.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:18 am

Ill keep an eye out for your project should we be on the same server Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:05 am

Darka wrote:
Ill keep an eye out for your project should we be on the same server Smile

Does that mean my ideas work in abating your concerns? Smile
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:14 am

Interesting system/idea, we dont want to have to seek approval for our own M/A system and be forced to complete third party trials aswell as the games and our own though, we are not interested in losing our identity to be part of something bigger, it would be a waste to us.

Interesting idea though, but we can not commit to anything due to server choice, we feel its our right to choose our server rather then be forced to pick a server due to pre game commitments. If we are on the same server we would possible be interesting depending on the level of interest and from who Smile

What other guilds are taking part in your project
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:26 am

None yet. I'm just tossing the ball out there to see what people thought, and to get a feel for what it would need to look like to get people in line with it
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:36 am

Sweet, well I will be here around site so will be keeping an eye on things Smile
Back to top Go down
Yospeck

Yospeck

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:11 pm

(I'd suggest making a new thread for the alliances idea, kinda derailing the initial thread Very Happy )

To the OP.

Depending on the 'level' of RP you want to do will determine which guild you seek out. If you've never done RP then I personally would jump straight in for a heavy RP group and embed yourself in the lore and see how other people do it. I'm a heavy RPer, I only play MMOs because of the RP, but still my guild and I like to quest/raid/PvP without any RP attached to it. You can have the best of both worlds.

My advice for you, if you did want to try some heavy RP (which really means more detailed lore to character concept, make a realistic character that is believable to others, and following the main 'RP Rules' that people recognize) is to do the following:

1) Go through www.wookieepedia.net which is a wiki with all the lore of the Star Wars Galaxy, and learn some lore for this era (Old Republic Era, just after the Great Galactic War). Get an idea of the timeline, what major events have happened, what factions are in place, and then check out the TOR website for a viable character (class and species).

2) Do some background bio for your character and learn some lore more detailed to them:
- How old are they? What has happened in their life time? Were they born before or after the Great War?
- What species are they? Were they born on their homeworld? What are the characteristics of that species? Are they known for having an angry temperament? Are they considered warriors? Are they intelligent?
- What class are you? If a Jedi or a Sith then learn some lore of the faction to get an idea of the structure and hierarchy of the Order/Empire. If you are a smuggler then learn some lore of the places he is likely to frequent (Hutta, Nar Shadda)

Note: What you know as the player is not the same as what the character knows. If you read the Sith timeline and played the KOTOR games then you know the in's and out's of Darth Revan, however, if you were RPing a simple Republic grunt then you would not know this level of information. Heavy RP is about making that separation between player and character

3) Pick up some traits for your character:
- What do they like? What do they hate?
- Are they friendly with new people? Or are they suspicious? Given their class/profession what are likely traits for someone in your position? (Smuggler - Cocky and wreckless, Imperial Agent - Suspicious and cautious, etc.)
- What do they fear? Don't be the hero all the time. This is the worst kind of RP, the guy who doesn't acknowledge that their character could die. Surrounded by a dozen Sith Lords, would you really laugh mockingly at them? Probably not....
- What are their vices/downfalls? Give them some bad qualities. Perhaps he drinks too much, or is a secret spice addict. Why does he drink? Maybe he lost his wife/daughter in the Great War and suffers from depression. Make them a real character with real problems.

4) Learn some of the 'RP Rules' most people follow:
- Don't OOC in public/spatial chat channels (keep OOC chat to private/guild/party channels)
- Don't metagame i.e. learn something about a character OOCly like through a forum, and then use this as information your character has gathered
- Don't PowerEmote e.g. emoting punching someone in the face, you have dominated what will happen and given the other player no choice in the matter, it is better to emote *tries to his <person> in the face* and then letting them respond as to whether they let you hit them, or whether they dodge the blow. Similarly, don't always try to dodge the blow when someone is hitting you! Show some flaws! Be the loser sometimes!
- Don't be the hero. As mentioned above, it's good to have flaws and be the guy that doesn't always win. People like to win, to do so someone has to lose, if every so often you choose to be that guy then you both show yourself as a better RPer but also give someone else the chance to be a hero for the day (though avoid people who always want to be the hero).

Creating a 'Mary Sue' type character can be the hardest point for non-RPers. Making a character that is believable but not a complete stereotype. Stereotypes change depending on the game and the situation, for example, Ty-Odi said that 'The Orphan' character is over done (Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter) and for the most part it really is. However, in this era we're post-Galactic war where planets were decimated including Coruscant... chances are that there's a lot of war orphans floating about Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A colaborative RP Republic   A colaborative RP Republic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A colaborative RP Republic
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next