Respect In Gaming

HomeRegisterLog in

Mission failure

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Damion posted in a thread regarding crew skills and the critical hits... and possible critical failures. Here was his post and my reply to this post. What are your thoughts about his take on this? Do you want failures for missions?

DamionSchubert wrote:
Missions have... highly variable rewards. We're still defining exactly what that means in terms of balance, but that's a key part of the difference between missions and crafting - no gathering lots of rare resources, but no certainty either. The most extreme examples you can think of, while fun to contemplate (i.e. companions getting captured and requiring rescue), are at least not in v 1.0 of the system.

Crafting will not have out-and-out critical crafting failures. It really sucks, from a social point of view, to give someone all your crafting resources and have them all be destroyed by a bad roll, and really makes it hard for up-and-coming crafters to get any business at all.

Hmm.. I totally see the awesomeness of the companion captured idea, but understand why it's not currently in. Say you have a companion out on a mission and is due back just before you are supposed to join your guild in a raid. Suddenly you get the report that your companion is captured and you have to rescue him and that was the companion you were going to take with you on the raid because all other companions are occupied with other tasks at the moment. What do you do?

Personally, I love the dynamic of it, but I'm sure others won't be too happy if that happens to them. Tough call, Damion. Wink

And good choice on the crafting. I hated MMOs that had that "fail" possibility that makes you lose your mats.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:22 pm

You pretty much put it all out there. Mission failure opens up some nice stuff like rescue missions and it also seems more realistic.

Then again, if you expect them to be back and you really need them... that kinda sucks.

My take on this is that they should indeed add mission failure as a possibility. It's the unexpected that makes things interesting.

It's good however they are not considering this for crafting. As you mentioned... It just really blows to have spent a week gathering mats just to see them evaporate because of a bad roll. This doesn't push the motivation.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:23 pm

I don't know from that if he is only talking about the gathering type of companion missions or missions/quests in general, such as the player undertakes in normal gameplay. If companion gathering then variable rewards are a good thing.

As far as crafting critical fail, nice that it really means "did not get a critical success."
Back to top Go down
Baelyrn

Baelyrn

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Would definately seem more realistic with the possibility for failure. I guess there could be missions that are riskier than others, with better rewards. That way you could always choose the option to not fail.

But in the end, I don't think getting your companion captured for a while would be such a big problem.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Companions being captured/hurt would add so much to immersion though...kind of like a random event.

Gamewiz

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 6:45 pm

azarhal wrote:
Companions being captured/hurt would add so much to immersion though...kind of like a random event.

Agreed. Personally, that's why I'm all for it. Just don't send your "favorite" companions on these high-risk missions. Wink
Back to top Go down
ShavedEwok

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

azarhal wrote:

Yes, but keep in mind Damion said it's "not in v 1.0 of the system.", which means it just might be added in a possible expansion.

The reason I say expansion btw, is that while more "basic" crew missions would probably be so easy to implement they could be included in an upgrade patch, a "getting captured" mission would require you to go rescue your companion, which in turn would mean having to create that mission for your character with all that implies (new Voice Over etc).

Still, I agree with you and GW in that it would add immersion to the game.

Actually, I think I'd be ok with it even if it meant being "denied" your companion just before going on a raid. When you think of it, wouldn't it be kind of funny?

ShavedEwok [Imperial Agent] - "Eh...um...wait a sec... Hey, guys? I think my companion just got captured... WTH!??"

RaidMember 1 - "LMAO, omg u suck."

RaidMember 2 - "Hahahah, loser!"

RaidMember 3 - "F A I L ! ! ! !"

RaidMember 4 - "Man, didn't I tell you NOT to send her off on that high-risk mission today? Dude....SERIOUSLY!!! GAAAHhhhhh.."

RaidMember 5 - "That's it Shaved, no healing for you tonight."

RaidMember 6 - "Question is - did she really get "captured", or did she just friggin leave u? I've seen u together and u clearly didn't romance her enough bro..."

RaidMember 7 - /join LookingForGroup "LF IA, preferably with a brain."

...and so on.

Cheers

SE
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:45 pm

ShavedEwok wrote:
azarhal wrote:

Yes, but keep in mind Damion said it's "not in v 1.0 of the system.", which means it just might be added in a possible expansion.

The reason I say expansion btw, is that while more "basic" crew missions would probably be so easy to implement they could be included in an upgrade patch, a "getting captured" mission would require you to go rescue your companion, which in turn would mean having to create that mission for your character with all that implies (new Voice Over etc).

Still, I agree with you and GW in that it would add immersion to the game.

Actually, I think I'd be ok with it even if it meant being "denied" your companion just before going on a raid. When you think of it, wouldn't it be kind of funny?

ShavedEwok [Imperial Agent] - "Eh...um...wait a sec... Hey, guys? I think my companion just got captured... WTH!??"

RaidMember 1 - "LMAO, omg u suck."

RaidMember 2 - "Hahahah, loser!"

RaidMember 3 - "F A I L ! ! ! !"

RaidMember 4 - "Man, didn't I tell you NOT to send her off on that high-risk mission today? Dude....SERIOUSLY!!! GAAAHhhhhh.."

RaidMember 5 - "That's it Shaved, no healing for you tonight."

RaidMember 6 - "Question is - did she really get "captured", or did she just friggin leave u? I've seen u together and u clearly didn't romance her enough bro..."

RaidMember 7 - /join LookingForGroup "LF IA, preferably with a brain."

...and so on.

Cheers

SE

Haha, yep, I can definitely picture that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Seriously, bungee cords.

Fixed!

I wouldn't mind rescue missions, until it turned into a bad cliche.

"Lets go rescue bob AGAIN."
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Well once you start to feel like it is "again", maybe you are sending that one companion on mission a bit too often....

Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:07 pm

azarhal wrote:
Well once you start to feel like it is "again", maybe you are sending that one companion on mission a bit too often....

Just because I'm bad at understanding that sending the peace loving jawa on missions to inflitrate the black sun isn't a good idea, doesn't.....

/puts on dunce cap and sits in corner.
Back to top Go down
Brando Calrissian

Brando Calrissian

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:29 am

Baelyrn wrote:
Would definately seem more realistic with the possibility for failure. I guess there could be missions that are riskier than others, with better rewards. That way you could always choose the option to not fail.

But in the end, I don't think getting your companion captured for a while would be such a big problem.

I agree, to a point. If they "automatically" came back after 24 hours or so, then cool, I can live with that, even if I was going to use them in the up-coming raid or whatever. But if I have to manually go "rescue" them, that would get tedious in my opinion. More realistic? Sure, but still tedious.
Back to top Go down
Baelyrn

Baelyrn

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:46 am

Brando Calrissian wrote:
I agree, to a point. If they "automatically" came back after 24 hours or so, then cool, I can live with that, even if I was going to use them in the up-coming raid or whatever. But if I have to manually go "rescue" them, that would get tedious in my opinion. More realistic? Sure, but still tedious.

Maybe you could choose to either pay a ransom, or go to the rescue.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

And the rescue mission would probably be rather interesting to play. The ransom alternative to it is a nice idea.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mission failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission failure   Mission failure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mission failure
Page 1 of 1