Respect In Gaming

HomeRegisterLog in

Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShavedEwok

Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid Empty
PostSubject: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi

There's a new interview with Community Manager Steve Reid:

Steve Reid Interview - Massively

Some points of interest:

Steve Reid wrote:
We definitely listen to the community and have made new decisions based off of discussions/debate that we've seen the community having; however, if someone says, "I think leveling sucks, I think the entire concept of leveling sucks, you shouldn't have levels in your game, and therefore your game sucks." OK... but we're not going to change that. It's too big.
Once more we get assurance that the devs do listen and take note to the community.

Steve Reid wrote:
Speaking of testing, one pleasant thing for us regarding feedback is that we have an INSANE amount of metrics coming out of the game... we track everything. So we can look at what people like and don't like. For example we've got heat maps, which are based on things like player death. So we can go, "Right, there's a ton of people dying in this particular area." If we see something like that which seems off, we look at it more carefully and then figure out, does that need to be balanced? Are people not getting it? Is there something that we need to do to make them a little bit more powerful earlier or guide them to make sure they don't do that quest early? Should that quest be later on in the zone? Hopefully that means we can tweak things before we see players on the forums going, "This quest sucks because I keep dying all the time." That's obviously a legitimate thing for us to change.
While this illustrates a more technical aspect of the game it's still pretty interesting IMO. If nothing else, it seems the devs have great tools at their disposal to insure balance and smooth gameplay.

Steve Reid wrote:
The most exciting thing, though, is I can actually tell you the story of my Jedi Knight's time on Tython, whereas I couldn't tell you the story of the first 10 levels of another MMO. Even though I'm someone who reads quest text, there's a big difference.
Seems you'll be on Tython (which probably goes for all origin worlds) up until level 10 (credit to FrostyDroid for the observation).

Steve Reid wrote:
I'll give you an example. One of the quests, early on in the Jedi Knight arc, is about romance. When I got the quest, I suddenly realized: this is a roleplay moment. I can decide to play this based on my own personality, or I could roleplay this the other way and go light or dark depending what I think my character would do. My temptation was to go dark, because I don't agree with what I'm being told to do. Is dark what I really want to do or do I want to play this character as more of a light side character which might go against my personal choices? That is exciting.
The above is for all the RP'ers in da house. Smile

Cheers

SE
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Once again, you beat me on the update. Wink
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:29 pm

To your defense .. he is 9 hours ahead of you! Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid 66518

Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid Sig12
Back to top Go down
azpb

azpb

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Us Americans are always getting ripped off.
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Selven wrote:
To your defense .. he is 9 hours ahead of you! Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid 66518

This is true... Us west-coasters always get the short end of the stick. Wink

Last edited by Gamewiz on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeaconX

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 pm

I NEED A LIFETIME SUB.

Play through each class as 'myself'.

Then as 'LIGHT', then as 'DARK'.

It's going to take forever...
Back to top Go down
Finiffa

Finiffa

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 pm

The game just looks better and better.....I agree Deacon Very Happy may need a lifetime sub!
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Quote :
We definitely listen to the community and have made new decisions based off of discussions/debate that we've seen the community having;

The big debate in 2009-2010 on the SWTOR forum:
- The Trinity is boring (but it's easy so people love it).
- Soloer should get loot and stuff to do at max level too (but raiders should always have better loot than everybody else).
- I don't want any story.
- Every class is a pet class.
- I remember BIG thread about crafting too (and I suspect they changed that one quite a bit).
- Space combat *cough*

Space Combat is interesting, I always knew it was going to be on rail (and it actually look better than I though it would), but I think that they will start with that and then probably had new things to do in space. I think that a Warzones with spacefighters and boarding ship would be really awesome, but it mean implementing new controls just for that.

Story and pet class complains were probably, mostly, ignored.

The Soloer and the Trinity stuff probably affected a few things, I remember just before I left the board this summer that some devs where pretty adamant about the fact that the game wasn't a hard trinity (despite only showing that as group play). As for the soloer => Random loot system and most of the game is soloable...

Quote :
We read fansites

Does this mean they (will) read the R.i.G.?

Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 pm

azarhal wrote:

Does this mean they (will) read the R.i.G.?

Well I have invited two of the forum mods to the site who are on my friendslist, but not sure if they are on here or not, and if they are I doubt they would use their forum names? I doubt they are at the moment as we are not even 2 weeks old, but if we continue to grow at the rate we are, you never no Smile

We are nearly up to 100 members now!! If you take into account some sites like SWTOR-RP only have 250 odd members and have been around a while now, thats honestly quite amazing!! Smile

Man I would love to do an interview with this guy, and see what he has in mind to help TOR have a great community feel to it Smile

Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Ty-Odi wrote:

Well I have invited two of the forum mods to the site who are on my friendslist, but not sure if they are on here or not, and if they are I doubt they would use their forum names? I doubt they are at the moment as we are not even 2 weeks old, but if we continue to grow at the rate we are, you never no Smile

They might do an interview of sorts but, I don't see them revealing themselves to the community at large, and honestly...they don't need to. If any such mod or Bioware employee should find their way to RIG and want to stay anonymous about who they work for, why should we care? We're here to give that amazing community and we'd enjoy them either way.

That and, I just see them being very cautious about where they post due to possible legal issues or other things we may not consider.

Though wouldn't it be something to get that kind of support? Man that'd be super awesome. Here's hoping they do notice and hey! Maybe we'll make it into a Fan Friday mention!!! That'd be killer!
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Though wouldn't it be something to get that kind of support? Man that'd be super awesome. Here's hoping they do notice and hey! Maybe we'll make it into a Fan Friday mention!!! That'd be killer!

I think the fact that they haven't moved the thread in the SWTOR forum speak by itself. bounce Or at least, the fact that they never "punished" us for being off topic...

Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 pm

azarhal wrote:
Kai-Sun wrote:

I think the fact that they haven't moved the thread in the SWTOR forum speak by itself. bounce Or at least, the fact that they never "punished" us for being off topic...

Us go off on a tangent?? surely not? haha, but yeah your right, I have seen so many threads shut down for far less.....Who knows, maybe they approve of the idea? Smile

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Selven wrote:

Plus, he's shaved. I mean, that's gotta bring some speed, right?

aerodynamically...

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 am

Grome wrote:
Selven wrote:

Plus, he's shaved. I mean, that's gotta bring some speed, right?

aerodynamically...

Yeah, speed typing with no hair on your fingers would probably make him faster than Wiz ...wait ..that came out wrong!

Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 am

azarhal wrote:

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe they silently supports us? Suspect

wait ..wrong smiley! Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid 340951

argh .../curses the impulsive clicking

Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:50 am

Selven wrote:

argh .../curses the impulsive clicking

Happens when there isn't any hair on your fingers?
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:03 am

Ty-Odi wrote:
Us go off on a tangent?? surely not? haha, but yeah your right, I have seen so many threads shut down for far less.....Who knows, maybe they approve of the idea? Smile

Yes, at times I was really thinking "certainly now they're gonna move this into the OT". We do spam on occasion in there haha.

It's pretty cool when you think they might actually be turning a blind eye because they sympathize with the project.

It would be pretty damn sweet to be mentioned in a Fan Friday. Man, look at me all proud of this Community already! Razz

Stephen seems to fit in perfectly. He is gonna make a great CM Smile

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 11:49 am

Cool
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Grome wrote:
Ty-Odi wrote:

Yes, at times I was really thinking "certainly now they're gonna move this into the OT". We do spam on occasion in there haha.

It's pretty cool when you think they might actually be turning a blind eye because they sympathize with the project.

It would be pretty damn sweet to be mentioned in a Fan Friday. Man, look at me all proud of this Community already! Razz

Stephen seems to fit in perfectly. He is gonna make a great CM Smile

Yeah it is Smile

But then if you look at the thread as a whole, I am actually quite amazed we have not drawn more attention from the griefers, one of my old friends from SWG Riba (Who popped on here a few days ago) even commented she saw the thread and was stunned to see it had not recieved more griefer attention, lol.

I think that in itself shows a masive plus for this idea and the thread in general, it really has seemed to only attract those that are like minded, without causing any real offense somehow to those who seem to find offense with anything hehe. And maybe that in itself is why it is still there? Its relevant, its on topic for the most part anyways hehe, and it has not caused any real arguements either Smile

And yes, I think Mr Reid is looking promising, I would honestly love to have a natter with him though, and see what he has planned Smile

Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 pm

The griefers are scared of us, I'm telling you...most of them are cowards that only attack small targets.

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I was wondering if it was worth seeing if we could get the thread a mention on one of Darth Hater's interesting tread columns.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:39 pm

azarhal wrote:
The griefers are scared of us, I'm telling you...most of them are cowards that only attack small targets.

Well to be fair, any who have tried to cause grief have been shot down pretty quicky by a wall of understandnig and constructive counter arguements, lol.

I think it also has to do with the fact the subject is what it is. I mean even the best griefer is going to find it hard to criticise the arguement of just trying to decent to other people, and treating as you would wish to be treated without coming across as one of those jerks in the first place, hehe Smile

Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
I was wondering if it was worth seeing if we could get the thread a mention on one of Darth Hater's interesting tread columns.

Not sure how you go about it, but it would not hurt if you know how? Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid   Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Massively Interviews Community Manager Steve Reid
Page 1 of 1