Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Serenity

Your scariest moments in an MMO Empty
PostSubject: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi all!

I was thinking about some of my very first MMO experiences and looked up an old post of mine on the SWTOR boards. Often, when people talk about the best moments in their gaming experience, they tell a story about their first newbie moment or something fun happening involving other people. Although I also have those stories, I was hoping to share a moment more on the scary side. I'll go first with an hour of SWG august, 2005 Smile

------------

It was on Endor. My first trip on my new shiney swoop. I thought travelling to a new, unexplored planet would be a good idea for the maiden voyage. I was wrong. I was right.

I landed on the Research Outpost and bravely (and naively) headed west towards the mountains. Back then my speeder would decay from use and attacks and getting agro from any beast would slow down my mount and throw me off of it, slamming my back in the dirt. I thought ewoks were friendly - right, I told you I was naive. ... not being Leia was a big mistake!

A couple of back splashing moments later I managed to navigate myself through the forest area and in the adrenaline rush (and fear ...yes, virtual monsters can do that to you! Or atleast they could) I desided the mountains would be fun and safer. Second mistake. Boy, the native herbivors are mean on Endor!

Just incase you missed it, getting attacked on my speeder was very scary the second you realised you were thrown off. The 2-3 seconds it took for me to get back on my feet, run to the speeder and accelerate enough to get away, was literally having my heart trying to pound its' way out of my chest! All the while the beast was breathing down my neck ...chills, I tell ya!

Finally realising the mountains gave no comfort or safe zones, I turned my swoop east, hit M to briefly look at the map, all the while scared to death I would have the map open too long and run straight in the arms of another angry furball. As I approached the Starport, sighing with relief I heard a big rumbling, followed by a flash of light and then the dreaded sound of an engine going "poof".

My swoop was broken, I was on my back in the undergrowth and a huge monster jabbed his claws at me. I ran ...my swoop made sad death noises .."gurgle - pft" ... behind me ...I kept on running. I think I had tears in my eyes when I finally made it to the safety of the Starport terminal. The cost repairing a mount was huge ..to me ...and I had been so so very happy to finally have the credits for one.

But wow, I was safe, I had enjoyed an hour of pure and total fear. An hour that still stands out as the most exciting experience I ever had in an MMO. That is what I would like SWTOR to be - but I'm afraid I'll never see it, mostly because those first experiences hardly can be re-lived.

-------------

Now I'm curious to hear your scariest moment in a game.

Your scariest moments in an MMO Sig12
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Haha nice! Sounds like a grand ol' trip to Endor. Wink

For me, I'd say one that made me jump a little was back in vanilla WoW... Just got into Un'Goro Crater for this first time. I was sitting there attacking a bunch of the raptors in the area, minding my own business. I turned around to suddenly look up and see the massive T-Rex charging down on me. Because I could even reactor, he bent down, and *CHOMP* there goes my health.

It all happened in about 2 seconds. Made me jump a little too, lol. That massive beast was the most quiet, sneakiest little punk ever... He must've been trained by ninjas, lol!
Back to top Go down
Baelyrn

Baelyrn

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:26 pm

The first MMO I played was Ashen Empires. I spent many days farming some mobs in a far away corner of the world until I finally got some magic pants that I knew would sell for a million or more, which was way more money than I had ever seen in the game.

I played on a PvP server where you dropped all the loot in your bags when you were killed. The area where I was farming was claimed by the most notorious guild on the server and there was a long way to the nearest town. So I ran, and the whole way my heart is pounding and I'm hoping I don't see another soul until I get to the bank. I felt like I had a huge dollar sign on my head. Whenever I would see someone I turned the other way, hoping they wouldn't notice I was obviously avoiding them.

In the end I made it to the bank, and later that evening sold the pants for a lot of money. I bought myself and another healer in my guild some nice new robes.

Last edited by Baelyrn on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Hehe, I like this thread Smile

Mine was my 1st proper visit to Dathomir in SWG. The darkness, the barren landscape, the eerie layout of the planet, and oh yes, I nearly forgot the fact that nearly every living thing on the planet wither wants to kill you or eat you!! (Ok it is lame as hell now, as everything is so easy to kill, but back then......)

This was Pre-CU, i had just hit my full defense template, bought my 1st set of decent composite armour, and through a friend had just gotten my 1st stun baton. Their I was in my all in Red Comp armour freshly buffed, and kitted out, and fully templated. Oooooh I felt tough as I landed on Dathomir. No idea why, but I had always stayed clear of Dath till this point, as it was known as being such a nightmare of a planet, so with this in mind it was my 1st trip to the big red planet.

Unlike Selven, this was before the days of speederbikes, even mounts, lol, I was utterly on my own, and on foot.

So I land at the Trade Outpost, and head north on foot. I encountered a couple of Baz Nitches, which I was just about able to kill especially if I meditated after to heal and so on, and slowly, very, very slowly, lol, I kept on going.

I encountered many other deadly creatures on my travels, and as I got further and further north, everything just got tougher and tougher.

Then I saw my 1st Rancor......it was just a baby one (man anyone else remember baby animals in SWG?) I recall the fight, and the insane number of stim packs I had to use just to kill that thing, the fight must have lasted half an hour at least, at least it felt that long, my health, Action and Mind were all pretty much on empty, I crouched down to meditate once again, when right in front of me spawns a Nightsister Spell Weaver.......I had heard of these ladies from friends, but they had also featured in a book i had just read, I was not wanting to run into one on my own, that was for sure.....

.....Phew she was walking away from me........Wait she is turning around??.......Oooooh crap she is racing towards me now..../stand.../stand..../stand DAMN YOU!! /run...../RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sprint for all my char was worth, then a streak of blue lightning shoots into my back as I am running, my health bar went down to half, but I was getting away, then suddenly I am hit with some form of Dizzy spell......I slow down....Man I was almost away.....then my legs go from under me....I try to stand up, but fall straight back on my backside, over and ovder i try this, and each time that little red dot on my radar homes in on me like a arrow.....then she is over me and hits me with a power hammer, and I am down....I am unconcious....I have been killed by a Nightsister Spell Weaver....My heart was racing like nobodies business, lol.

I honestly think that is the only time I have ever truly panicked in an MMO and felt real fear, lol. But because of it, Dathomir and those nasty little ladies have always held a special place in my heart, and I have spent more hours than is healthy to be honest spent hunting those ladies, and rancors and other nastys on Dath....man I miss those days when it was hard.....Smile (Oh and pretty scary too, lol)

Your scariest moments in an MMO Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I love your stories! Oh, and Ty, do I remember the baby animals in SWG! I mastered CH before anything else! Smile

Your scariest moments in an MMO Sig12
Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 pm

The scariest moments for me is anticipating Ty's posts and the hours I'll have to spend reading them.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Lugaidh wrote:
The scariest moments for me is anticipating Ty's posts and the hours I'll have to spend reading them.

I think your forum title is very apt Razz

hahahahaha Very Happy

Your scariest moments in an MMO Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:47 am

Lok
My first time travelling there, its dark and there is only one shuttle.
The creepy yet brilliant soundtrack kicks in ( Sith Choir thing) and im just thinking shit wtf is out there!
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Scary? I don't know. I never found many things in the MMO's I played scary, but then again I never played any super-hard/unforgiving MMO's either.

Exciting? My first trip to the Barrens as a warrior with my brother as a priest. Level 60 both of us in Vanilla... that was exciting as hell.
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Scary is probably not the right term for me, but how about adrenalin boosted. Two times in particular come to mind, and for very different reasons.

The first time I fought Maat in FF XI my hands were shaking and my mind was a blank. This is a mano on mano fight where you fight Maat who is you (has all your gear and knows all your skills) plus a capped monk. He taunts you, he smacks you down, it's a humbling experience, but if you want to get to max level for your class, you have to beat him. The fight lasted about 90 seconds and I probably burned through about half of my money on instant items.

The second time was more because of frustration than exhilaration. When you got to level 80 in Age of Conan you had to do what was called your "Destiny Quest". You sneak through a raid instance solo, past mobs that can one-shot you till you get to a specific room. You need to clear out wave after wave of melee and casters, each wave growing in number of attackers. I think the worst wave was around 5 casters and 8 melee. If you fail, you start off with wave one again. I think it took me about 2 1/2 hours to succeed. Wow was vent "Blue" that day. Turned out that this quest was easy for some spec'ed classes and impossible for others. I know a few people that got GM's to help them through it.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm not sure if an MMO has scared me yet, but other games sure has made me jump in my skin.

Last thing I can remember was F.E.A.R. over on my brother's computer at the time. There's a section where you're about to go down a latter as you're walking after the little girl in the game, that's obviously...well...more then meets the eye. She disappears at the top of the ladder, and when you start going down it the game turns you to face the way you came...and as soon as the camera pans SHE'S RIGHT IN YOUR FACE as you start going down. lol

Then when you get to the bottom and your heart is racing she's there AGAIN as you turn around walking THROUGH you...yea was awesome stuff.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
I'm not sure if an MMO has scared me yet, but other games sure has made me jump in my skin.

Last thing I can remember was F.E.A.R. over on my brother's computer at the time. There's a section where you're about to go down a latter as you're walking after the little girl in the game, that's obviously...well...more then meets the eye. She disappears at the top of the ladder, and when you start going down it the game turns you to face the way you came...and as soon as the camera pans SHE'S RIGHT IN YOUR FACE as you start going down. lol

Then when you get to the bottom and your heart is racing she's there AGAIN as you turn around walking THROUGH you...yea was awesome stuff.

It's amazing how little girls can be scarier than any ugly beast you could ever imagine. Smile

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:25 am

Grome wrote:

It's amazing how little girls can be scarier than any ugly beast you could ever imagine. Smile

The human mind will do far worse things then anyone else expressed nightmares ever could. It's amazing how we're our own worst enemy!

And so are creepy little freaking girls. Bah.
Back to top Go down
Aurabesh

Aurabesh

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aurabesh
Class: Smuggler

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:44 am

I can remember my moment very well.
Even thinking about it now still gives me the heebeedjeebees (spelling O.o )
Back in Vanilla WoW...when the whole of Azeroth was still a huge playground and exploring meant two things....
Visit what was supposed to be explored...and visit what was supposed to remain unexplored Very Happy
After a lovely hour of walljumping in Stranglethorn Vale me and a friend managed to take a close look behind the scenes of Blizzards handywork.
We where just discussing where to go next when the inevitable purple text appeared in the rightcorner of my screen: [GM Banthapoodoo whispers]: Eyy you're not supposed to be here...i am affraid i will have to ban your account for 2 weeks and ......

Ah well...spend me 2 hours chatting to the guys trying to look innocent.
He eventually gave us a free trip to Stormwind and i got to keep my account.

I think its save to say i visited all the unexplorable places....after all...its good fun to stretch the rules from time to time Razz

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your scariest moments in an MMO   Your scariest moments in an MMO I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your scariest moments in an MMO
Page 1 of 1