The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"

Go down 
+8
Dretch
Schwendo
Aurabesh
Xaxus
Kai-Sun
azarhal
Grome
Darka
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" Empty
PostSubject: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:00 am

The "Talk" with your kids
A Guide from fathers across the world on how to do the talk best on these touchy subjects
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 am

LMAO

It's important for them to know: 1. That Han Solo shot first

The Jar Jar Binks hate haha To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" 340951

And the music at the end makes this just epic To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" 943499

And then, while I went on to write this post here, the next video started in the other tab:

I'm Sam Seborah! Welcome to "My Body, My Style"! Where I'll help real women with real bodies face their biggest style challenges!
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

:cyclops:

Although, once TOR is released lots of people will be able to say they shot first, it's a Gunslinger ability and I really wonder how it works...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:18 pm

"I never want my son growing up in a world where Greedo shot first."

/tear
Back to top Go down
Xaxus

Xaxus

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xaxus

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 pm

My son is 4 and I really try to keep things calm down on lauguage. Its funny hes already a Starwars fan, loves yoda, and we have lightsaber trials. Im already teaching the force of dad lol. Yea this is reason I joined RIG today topics like this.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm

A 4 years old Yoda fans!

I think that Star Wars is really popular with the younger crowd. I wonder how many people will play TOR with their kids.
Back to top Go down
Aurabesh

Aurabesh

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aurabesh

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:08 pm

My kids wont play this game...we're having more then enough trouble keeping our son (7) from bashing his sisters(10) head with their toy sabers To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" 756107
They got a trunk full of StarWars costumes. We often get nuts with small Vaders and Yoda's running around the house.
Guess thats what happens when both mom and dad are SW geeks Razz
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 4:17 pm

I love it!!
Back to top Go down
Dretch

Dretch

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm

So I am looking for a little advice, or at least food for thought. My son is 11 he should be 12 around release. If they stick to spring 2011. He has told me multiple times he wants to play a trooper. I am trying to decide if I will let him play or not. He has never played an mmorpg before. He has however played KOTOR and loved it. I would love to play an mmo with him. As I have said before I am a fairly casual gamer. I believe this would be a great time for us. I am worried about the mmo experience as a whole which is part of the reason for becoming involved at RIG. What do you guys think? Is 12 to young? Should I go for it?
I had some really great times playing DAOC and vanilla WOW. Recently I have been less interested though. It could be a lot of fun though too. Somewhat conflicted
Back to top Go down
Xaxus

Xaxus

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xaxus

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Dretch wrote:
So I am looking for a little advice, or at least food for thought. My son is 11 he should be 12 around release. If they stick to spring 2011. He has told me multiple times he wants to play a trooper. I am trying to decide if I will let him play or not. He has never played an mmorpg before. He has however played KOTOR and loved it. I would love to play an mmo with him. As I have said before I am a fairly casual gamer. I believe this would be a great time for us. I am worried about the mmo experience as a whole which is part of the reason for becoming involved at RIG. What do you guys think? Is 12 to young? Should I go for it?
I had some really great times playing DAOC and vanilla WOW. Recently I have been less interested though. It could be a lot of fun though too. Somewhat conflicted
12 is a good age, my nephew is 10 and plays mmo games. TV has just as much bad language as a mmo society. This generation of kids hear everything earley. Before you allow him to play, test out game first, find a mature group of adults that care about the well being of other ppls wishes meaning cuss words, ect. Then maybe take small steps to see if they can handle it... I would not rush, but my opinion 12 is almost a teenager..
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Dretch wrote:
. What do you guys think? Is 12 to young? Should I go for it?

I don't see why not Smile He wouldn't be the youngest, I'm sure. And 12 isn't too young. I think he'll have a great time and definatly a good thing you're in the same MMO to make sure he's experiencing the best a game has to offer. Should he meet the random bad player, you'd know how to deal with it and could explain to him how people can be stupid much like in real life.

I say, go for it Smile
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 pm

I don't see a problem as long as you're an active father in his life on MMO's as well, which I'm sure you are.

So, sounds ok to me.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Like the others said 12 years old isn't that young, although you need to make sure to support him (make sure he doesn't take bad habits).
Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:48 pm

The one thing I would be concerned with is the game addiction factor. It is a reality of these games though not like the idiot conservatives protray it as. I've found myself playing mmos more than I intended simply because I wanted to hang out with my in-game friends. This is fine imo so long as it doesn't take the place of RL which can become a possibility. My recommendation on that point would be to limit the amount of hours your kids can play a day. RL friends are more important for a child's development than in-game ones.
Back to top Go down
Dretch

Dretch

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks everyone! Good info. I am leaning towards letting him play. I think some solid ground rules will need to be in place first though.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:57 am

Dretch wrote:
Thanks everyone! Good info. I am leaning towards letting him play. I think some solid ground rules will need to be in place first though.

A very good idea, and like I said...it sounds like you're definitely wanting to be involved and knowledgeable of what he actually does while gaming, or how long he would or how often. Sounds like you've got it under control.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 am

With our four month old we are going to set rules for TV in his first two years - ie. not much if any at all. Then gradually little bits as he gets older, carefully monitoring what, when and how much he watches.

So I guess when I get my son into gaming it'll be the same principle and definitely so with MMOs. He will only play when I play and he won't be doing much soloing to start with.

Then the older he gets or at least the more capable then I will gradually start to let go a little. Just my two creds worth.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Lugaidh wrote:
The one thing I would be concerned with is the game addiction factor. It is a reality of these games though not like the idiot conservatives protray it as. I've found myself playing mmos more than I intended simply because I wanted to hang out with my in-game friends. This is fine imo so long as it doesn't take the place of RL which can become a possibility. My recommendation on that point would be to limit the amount of hours your kids can play a day. RL friends are more important for a child's development than in-game ones.

I agree with Lewg there,

I had never played an MMO before SWG launch in 2003, and, I ended up getting so hooked that I was playing 10 hours a day at times! I was 31 at the time, the owner of a dj company, and a military vet...so...if can happen to me, it DEFINITELY can happen to a much more impressionable 12 year old. I would just recommend caution. Maybe "play hour(s)" for him?? Not trying to tell you anything at all. Just offering suggestions Smile

Hope that helps ya a bit Smile
Back to top Go down
Brando Calrissian

Brando Calrissian

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 am

I love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"   To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To the Fathers of RIG- How to deal with the "talk"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com