AuthorMessage
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

What's important to you? Empty
PostSubject: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Below are a list (probably not exhaustive) of elements of MMORPGs. I'd be interested in seeing how important these element are to people. If I forgot something please feel free to add it to your list. I know I don't have PvE but that sort-of plays into everything on the list but PvP.

Combat
Story
Exploration
Progression
Sandbox/Theme Park/Hybrid (pick-one)
Community
Crafting
Loot
PvP/RvR
Small Party Grouping (~5 people)
Raiding
Role-Playing
Character Customization
EDIT: Housing

Feel free to comment on why you ranked them as you did. For example: here is me:

HIGH
1. Combat
(if this is bad, I won't play the game)
2. Community (if the community is bad it is tough to stay with a game)
3. Story (if this is weak, I won't play the game for long)
4. Exploration ( I'm the kind of person who is drawn to the blank spaces on the map)

MEDIUM
5. Role-Playing
(bring me back to my roots)
6. Small Party Grouping (I have the most fun in well organized small groups)
7. PvP (I also have had a lot of fun in objective oriented PvP, but capture the flag isn't an objective)
8. Raiding (is fun the first time, can be done well, and I know why it's needed, but I don't like repeatable content: killing the Emperor every week breaks immersion. See also Loot below)
9. Crafting (I enjoy it well enough, but I would rather be exploring the story and galaxy)

LOW
10. Hybrid
(Sandbox/Theme Park) (the explorer in me loves Sandbox, but it is difficult to do good story in Sandbox)
11. Progression (OK, Progression is cool, but at the same time, if I have cool abilities and the game is fun to play progression isn't that important to me.
12 Character Customization (like progression, it is nice but not at the top of my list)
EDIT: 13. Housing I know people love it and an enclave where the guild could hang out would be cool. However, I don't care much about player housing.

99. Loot (I just don't like games that are all about phat lewt, statted gear is nonsensical to me: how does this sword improve my intelligences, and it just doesn't feel very Star Wars-y to me. You remember that part where Han Solo and Chewbacca have just killed that stormtrooper. Han's like "Hey, Chewie, grab that Blaster with +2 to presence off of him"....Yeah we could find that either

Last edited by Godric_Barbarosa on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 am

Hmm, interesting list. I guess the following is mine:

HIGH
1. Story - This is fantasy and I need to feel like I'm there and not in my computer room. Story needs to be extensive and cohesive.
2. Good UI - I want the interface to help me enjoy the game, not block me.
3. Exploration - Like you I too am drawn to the blank areas
4. Challenge - I don't want a walk in the park, I want a feeling of accomplishment
5. Doing stuff with friends

MEDIUM
6. Crafting - I love crafting and it probably should be in the "HIGH" category. I like crafting that makes sense and is challenging (e.g., SWG, not WoW)
7. Combat - The game has to be so much more than just combat, otherwise I'd just play a FPS.
8. Community
9. Raiding/progression - Love the challenge.

LOW
10. PvP - It's fun every once in awhile, but it's really not my thing
11. RP - It can be fun, but I'd rather do my own thing than be "molded" by a role
12. Character customization - As long as the flexibility exists at the character creation, I'm good
13. Phat lewt - Usually too much drama is associated with getting it

99. Guild politics - yecch
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:42 am

HIGH
  1. Combat
  2. Community
  3. Progression (Need something to do / work towards / prevent boredom)
  4. Small Party Grouping (What's the point of an MMO if you don't play WITH people?)
  5. Raiding

MEDIUM
  1. Story
  2. Role-Playing
  3. Character Customization
  4. Crafting
  5. Exploration

LOW
  1. Sandbox
  2. PvP/RvR (This is definitely rock-bottom of my list mostly because in my xp it attracts the worst of the community.)

IT DEPENDS ON...
Loot - depends on whether or not it is a part of progression.

Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 am

Well I would post mine, but I think Godric just reached into my mind and put them down for me, lol.

Well all but Char Customization, I do like my char to look unique to me. Otherwise....scary, lol.

What's important to you? Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:55 am

High

1. Story
2. Community
3. Gameplay
4. Underwear.

Everything else is pretty much negotiable for me, I'm rather laid back.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:57 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
High

1. Story
2. Community
3. Gameplay
4. Underwear.

Everything else is pretty much negotiable for me, I'm rather laid back.
When you say underwear do you mean to say you want underwear or rather the lack thereof?

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:00 am

Grome wrote:

When you say underwear do you mean to say you want underwear or rather the lack thereof?

That highly depends on the person I'm playing with. Razz
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
Grome wrote:

Laughing

What's important to you? Sig12
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 am

To me it would be

1. Story
2. Community
3. Gameplay
4. Purple

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
Grome wrote:

Got no problems with you going commando (what a great idea for a trooper ability by the way) as long as you still wear your shiny armor or flapping cloth on top of it (favoring the former though... you never know what might show in a heated fight with all those fast movements and the running...)

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:05 am

Selven wrote:
Kai-Sun wrote:
Grome wrote:

Laughing

/Dances around in a mankini Just for Kai. Smile

Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:07 am

Selven wrote:

4. Purple

Please god I don't need another bloody expansion or game like WoW's Burning Crusade.

Gear came in either "A clown just vomited on me" and Purple with a side of purple.

Instances purple, my face screaming at people in raids, purple!

Act now and you can have more purple, free!
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:08 am

Ty-Odi wrote:

I will crush you, can of spam man.

Soon as you put some clothes on, I'm not going near that.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
Ty-Odi wrote:

I will crush you, can of spam man.

Soon as you put some clothes on, I'm not going near that.

Does some lunges to limber up before getting dressed.....LMAO

Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:30 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
Selven wrote:

4. Purple

Please god I don't need another bloody expansion or game like WoW's Burning Crusade.

Gear came in either "A clown just vomited on me" and Purple with a side of purple.

Instances purple, my face screaming at people in raids, purple!

Act now and you can have more purple, free!

Hmph...never heard of less is more?

and besides I got inspired by your #4! Oh, and btw, *I* invented purple! WoW stole it from me! What's important to you? 398785

Last edited by Selven on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:32 am

My list (not exactly in order)

HIGH
- Gameplay (no point in playing the game otherwise)
- Exploration (I love exploring)
- Story
- Community

Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:06 am

Selven wrote:

Hmph...never heard of less is more?

and besides I got inspired by your #4! Oh, and btw, *I* invented purple! WoW stole it from me! What's important to you? 398785

You have purple underwear?
Back to top Go down
Yunie

Yunie

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 am

HIGH
Combat - This is a no brainer really
Progression - If a game has no progression, or if it stops having progression after the lvl-cap (with end-game content), then I'll most likely get bored. There's always alts, but I've never been much of an alt person.
Community - The last 6 months I've played WoW was solely because I loved my guild and the friends I had all over the server.
Exploration - Not much to say here, except I do love to explore Smile

MEDIUM
Story - I like story, and I'm glad Bioware is focusing on it. However, I know I've played WoW without reading most of my quests. So while I like it, I know I can also live without it.
Crafting - Hopefully crafting seems really fun in TOR.
PvP/RvR - Not the biggest PvPer, but enjoy a game from time to time.
Small Party Grouping (~5 people) - Some of the best moments I had were in small groups
Raiding - Raiding is fun, till it turns into a grind of "That ****ing dagger never dropps!"
Character Customization - The more the merrier.

LOW
Hybrid] (Sandbox/Theme Park) - both have advantages and disadvantages, although I admit I miss playing a good sandbox.
Role-Playing - Never been much of a RPer.

Loot - Let's admit it, we all love getting new shinny stuff. How much I care for it will depends on how much enphaziz Bioware will give it.
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:47 am

Interesting thread here. These are my main motivators:

High
1.) Combat - As others have said, if the thing you do the most is lacking or tedious, its hard to look past it.
2.) Small Party Grouping (~5 people) - This area will always hold a special place in my heart. In my days playing CoH/V, the small teams dynamic was absolutley top notch. This was mostly due to the fact that teaming and questing in a group was the best way to get experience. This created a situation where people where constantly looking for groups to level in, and if you lost a group member, chances were good you'd be able to replace that person quickly (People didn't auto-quit as soon as the mission ended *gasp!*). If you got a good team lead that would keep the party full, you could have a full team rolling for hours, with many of the same members throughout the play session.
3.) Community - Something I enjoyed in CoH/V, and something I gave up on since leaving that game, but something I have resolved to take a more active role in.
4.) Character Customization - I would spend hours creating my characters in CoH/V

Medium
5.) Story - Something I've sacrificed for good gameplay in the past, but I can really get lost in some good game lore
6.) Crafting - Gathering, creating, I'm one of those weird people who enjoys the time sink. I like the thought of scrounging materials and creating something that makes my leveling experience easier. It feels like I'm taking an active role in bettering my play experience.
7.) Loot - What can I say? I likes the shinies. Smile
8.) PvP/RvR - I'm a new comer here, but after playing Aion, I have the fever for some PvP

Low
9.) Exploration - I appreciate the time it takes to create a game world, and enjoy the visuals, but I tend to be more goal oriented in my gaming
10.) Raiding - Its cool for the first few times, but the current raiding (community) atmosphere and repetition really kill it for me.
11.) Role-Playing - Only ever dabbled in it. I enjoyed creating backstories for my toons in CoV/H, but never really RP'd it out. I understand the draw to it though.
12.) Progression - Not terribly interested in keeping up with the Jones'

Back to top Go down
Xaxus

Xaxus

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xaxus

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:18 am

Patience, small steps, and a social understanding from all ppl, is my first goal when I get into game. I live by that in real life, enjoy every breath I got, and will pass this to you guys... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mli

Mli

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 am

High
Story (when i play i want it to be like reading a book just that you particpate and can change the direction of teh story with your actions)
Exploration (finding secret areas and puzzels to solve god i love it)
Small Party Grouping (~5 people) (what would an mmo be without frineds to play and chat with)
Community (same as above what is an mmo whitout friends)
Combat (combat as in a good UI and easy to understand combat system, i dont play in order to manage to press a specefic key sequnce in the exactly right moment and repet that for 10 mins, nu fun stearing at the dam skill bar and counting cooldowns)

Medium (guess this is the time consuming stuff, everyting here is what i would do to kill some time Smile
Progression
Crafting
Loot
Raiding
Character Customization (looks are imporatant!)

Low
Sandbox/Theme Park/Hybrid (pick-one) (what?)
PvP/RvR (doh fun at times)
Role-Playing (fun to whatch but participate no not for me)

Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 am

I'd love to answer this but no matter how much I slave over my priorities in an MMO I just can't do it. The only thing I can say for sure is that the most important thing is combat....since that is what I spend the most time doing...whether it's PvP or PvE.

Other than that everything just seems too crucial to try to prioritize. Everything matters so much that I feel that if any of these crucial "pillars" of an MMO were to be completely broken it would severely hurt the game in a short period of time.

/sigh Us gamers really are insatiable aren't we....
Back to top Go down
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:18 pm

High

Sendbox
Exploration
Crafting/Economy
Character Customization/Talent builds

As i said in another thread, the "Real World" feeling is most important for me. I want to explore the world and its secrets without being guided by any quests, story and so on. I want full freedom to make choices and create unique character both in terms of talents and looks. I hated WoW where everybody was running around with same armor, weapons and talent builds.

Medium

Community
Small Party
Raiding
Loot

I enjoy occasional raiding (i am "casual" type of player). And i would like to do this with friendly people, not some bunch of idiots

Low

PVP
RP
Combat
Story

PVP... well, occasional PVP battle is fun. But as everyday experience its not my thing. RP - i respect people doing this, but i am not good as actor. Combat - don't really care. I am more of a crafter/explorer than a warrior. Story...this is a tough one. I like the idea of story being present, but in the same time wouldn't enjoy it if the game revolves around it. I was annoyed by the endless questlines in WoW and LOTRO.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Okies, heres what's important to me in SWToR:

Important:

*Community- Even the best games can get lame without someone to share them with

*Gameplay- Gotta have fun playing said game

*Game Map Size- I would rather have a large area, vice a small one

*In-Game Housing- Love decorating

*In-Game Economy- Makes a game more diverse/ depthful

*Space combat/ travelling- The tunnel shooter idea is not what I'm looking for

*Factional Interactions (PvP?)- not a high priority, but fun to do

Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Cool thread.

My order:

High:
Combat
Community
PvP/RvR
Raiding
Progression

Medium:
Loot
Story
Crafting
Small Party Grouping (~5 people)

Low:
Exploration
Sandbox
Role-Playing
Character Customization
Leveling Alts. (added this one because I really find it boring. Maybe TOR will do it right)

I'm all about the gameplay. Leveling, Raiding, PvE, PvP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's important to you?   What's important to you? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's important to you?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next