The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Global channels

Go down 
+7
Lugaidh
Gamewiz
Sylrah
Selven
Schwendo
Kai-Sun
Tal Soren
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tal Soren

Tal Soren

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey all,
I was wondering if anything has been said on the main forums about how chat channels will be set up in ToR.
I've always felt these global channels, (trade channel in WoW and 1-10 chat in EQ2) bring out the worst in people, and making them server wide just adds to the problem.
I think it also brings down the community feeling because you never realy have to meet with another character. Instead of meeting with a person to group with them or buy a item, you just yell across the game what you need. (I won't even get started on how much I hated the queue up system WoW introduced for grouping, I had pretty much quit before that started, but it must have taken sociability to a new low)
I know there's always the option to turn off these features, but in the newer games it's almost impossible to get anything done if you don't use them. Guess it's the old schooler in me that misses having to go to the big city to buy a item from a actual player, or getting to know the actual crafters like in SWG....hell I even miss the old EC tunnel in EQ. Sure there were always jerks around there, but it seemed the social people out numbered them back in the old days! *shakes his cane in the air*
Not sure how well this could work in game, but I suggest one way to help with RIG is to keep global chat to a minimum and encourage our members to actually meet with people when chatting or trading. Even if you don't RP you can be social about buying a item. Might even bring more people into our community if they feel like they are a crafter and not just a vending machine.

TL;DR All sales shall be paid for in cookies
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm not sure if they've broached how the chat channels work but I assume them to be like wow from how they looked during the multiplayer video.

Selven brought the idea up here of setting up our own RIG chat channel, so here's hoping they allow us to do that!
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah, I agree,

I think a Vent site...even more than one...would be real nice to have. Guild leaders can coordinate player events, PvP, help, etc.

You could also have a "RiG Light", and a "RiG Dark" Vent' sites...
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm not a very big fan of global chat channels, myself. In SWG there were no automated global chat and so I never realized people could set them up themselves until years later. And since most people didn't join the player made ones, we all traveled to the hubs that were naturally created as a meeting spot. Of course there was guild chat and so on, but I got used to the "meet up in Eisley" way to go about talking to other players. We even had our guild talks "face to face" in our city hall, guild hall or in a private cantina/bunker. Heck, we could just bump into eachother in Eisley and have an hour go by being silly and/or chat with random players. I've missed that way of interacting with others since I stopped playing SWG. EQ2 was somewhat of a shock to me - later joining my kids on WoW, the chat got even less social.

I'm hoping BW will not implement one, but at the same time I realize most people probably want one. I just think like Tal Soren it brings out the worst in people and takes away some of the social aspects of a community. On the other hand, the crafter channel in EQ2 and the player channel on Naritus in SWG was prime examples of good community creations. I think if you have to join a channel to interact with others, and not have it set up for you automatically, you tend to appreciate the people there a bit more.

I do hope we're able to set up a player made RiG channel, though. We're not all gonna be in the same guild (or even server) so that would help us a lot in maintaning the friendship and community feeling we've gotten so used to around here.
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 pm

No publically global chat channels... sounds like bliss.

There's a reason why one of the first things I always do is turn off the damned cesspool channels. They're all just so bloody full of crap.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:32 pm

I agree Selv', Sylly,

But having a RiG Ventrillo channel (or 3). We will only have the players from the RiG forums in it. That way, we can communicate IG info rapidly. I am all about emotes, and typing shizz (<--Selvan language filter activated), but higher coordination is hard when you're mashing keys in-battle. It really really helps if you are doing combat...vastly more than social....Then again, when I unleash my "spot on" Arnold impres'schwen, you'll be thanking me for da' TOR Vent channel SmileSmileSmile

cookies?
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:41 pm

A bit off topic, but my buddy and I used to visit medical sites when we were both couriers for the local Hospitals and, I'd go in as Sylvester Stallone and he'd be Arnold. It was awesome.

Way I see it, we'll have out own chat channel in game for RIG, our personal guild ventrilo, and possibly a RIG one should we feel we need it for big events.

Not saying we HAVE to use them or advocate leaving those that are not on vent out in the cold, but I'm sure we all understand that.
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Schwendo wrote:
cookies?

Takes out the Egg Whisk... come on someone has to know where that came from.

*hides a painting in a box of cookies, stored somewhere in a wherehouse full of cookies*

Alright Schwenny, you can have one box, Knackwurst flavoured cookies.

*gives another box to Kai*
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 pm

Knockwurst flavored cookies??

What is it Oktoberfest again!?? lololol

MMMMM....tastes like athereosclerosis

Jup Kai...losta talkin....lotsa talkin...
Back to top Go down
Tal Soren

Tal Soren

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Selven wrote:
EQ2 was somewhat of a shock to me - later joining my kids on WoW, the chat got even less social.

I used to actually refer to the 1-10 channel in EQ2 as the Mos Eisley of chat channels..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
It was always amazing how opposite that channel and the trade channel were. It's like there was some kind of idiot filter when you joined trade! Hmm...maybe we can get a hold of that filter for our server?
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Global? I hope not. There really is no need for them. Zone channels? Absolutely. If I'm in a zone and I have a question regarding something specific in the zone, the zone channel comes in handy quite often.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Tal Soren wrote:
Selven wrote:
EQ2 was somewhat of a shock to me - later joining my kids on WoW, the chat got even less social.

I used to actually refer to the 1-10 channel in EQ2 as the Mos Eisley of chat channels..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
It was always amazing how opposite that channel and the trade channel were. It's like there was some kind of idiot filter when you joined trade! Hmm...maybe we can get a hold of that filter for our server?

Exactly! I always wondered about that Smile

Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

Schwendo wrote:
I agree Selv', Sylly,

But having a RiG Ventrillo channel (or 3). We will only have the players from the RiG forums in it. That way, we can communicate IG info rapidly. I am all about emotes, and typing shizz (<--Selvan language filter activated), but higher coordination is hard when you're mashing keys in-battle. It really really helps if you are doing combat...vastly more than social....Then again, when I unleash my "spot on" Arnold impres'schwen, you'll be thanking me for da' TOR Vent channel SmileSmileSmile

cookies?

MARIA!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 1:45 am

I agree. Global channels have never been of that much use (referring to WoW) except if you are into spamming and discussions with heavy insulting included.

Always depends on the community of course! Maybe we can actually make it readable Smile

Vent for RiG would be nice. Even out of events, as we could just chat with like-minded people if we want to and get to know them better.

And BIG LOL Lewg! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:09 am

I dunno, I never minded global channels provided one key feature: Let me turn them off.

Global channels attract those with the "hey! look at me!" disease, and honestly, I don't think we'll be without that element. Therefore, why not let them all get sucked off to go play crazy on the global channel that anyone can just turn off? It keeps them occupied and keeps me from killing brain cells by reading stupidity.

That said, these forums are conceivably the hub for our community, so why not, when the time comes, have a global channel listing. Something to the effect of, "Yes, we know that channel says Trade, but thats where the elbow lickers play. Try Channel X if you're actually looking to sell something."
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 am

Variable wrote:
That said, these forums are conceivably the hub for our community, so why not, when the time comes, have a global channel listing. Something to the effect of, "Yes, we know that channel says Trade, but thats where the elbow lickers play. Try Channel X if you're actually looking to sell something."
Like that idea. We could actually have a whole range of channels, as LFG, Trade, Silly, Discussion, what ever else we feel we need.

Of course this always runs with the risk of excluding oneself too much from the rest of the server but it certainly is of great use if we feel like the official version of a channel is not fitting... And I think we should have a channel to keep our silliness going ingame either way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Grome wrote:
Variable wrote:
Like that idea. We could actually have a whole range of channels, as LFG, Trade, Silly, Discussion, what ever else we feel we need.

Of course this always runs with the risk of excluding oneself too much from the rest of the server but it certainly is of great use if we feel like the official version of a channel is not fitting... And I think we should have a channel to keep our silliness going ingame either way Very Happy

I would think that one RIG channel should be sufficient. I don't know the logistics of channel creation and whether it's harder to create multiple channels rather than one, but I don't want to have too many channels to have to sort through. As I imagine we will be rolling on an RP server I would prefer if Silly and possibly Discussion happened face-to-face rather than over a channel.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
I would think that one RIG channel should be sufficient. I don't know the logistics of channel creation and whether it's harder to create multiple channels rather than one, but I don't want to have too many channels to have to sort through. As I imagine we will be rolling on an RP server I would prefer if Silly and possibly Discussion happened face-to-face rather than over a channel.
Probably right. Too many channels is a bad idea. you can actually sort out everything in one channel. I got carried away there for a sec.

However where silliness is supposed to be is controversial. I am not sure everyone would want our channel to be IC.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Grome wrote:
Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
Probably right. Too many channels is a bad idea. you can actually sort out everything in one channel. I got carried away there for a sec.

However where silliness is supposed to be is controversial. I am not sure everyone would want our channel to be IC.

Good point, probably IC stuff should be face to face. I could see this becoming an important issue to hammer out between RPers and non-RPers. Either way I still like the idea of the community rolling on one server either RP or non-RP. RPers can RP on a non-RP server, and I doubt non-RPers would be required to RP on a RP server. It seems that most people would prefer an RP server if just for the higher maturity level and naming policies (if present).
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
Good point, probably IC stuff should be face to face. I could see this becoming an important issue to hammer out between RPers and non-RPers. Either way I still like the idea of the community rolling on one server either RP or non-RP. RPers can RP on a non-RP server, and I doubt non-RPers would be required to RP on a RP server. It seems that most people would prefer an RP server if just for the higher maturity level and naming policies (if present).
I think so too. IF there are RP / non-RP servers I think we shouldn't let that be an issue. We would probably tend to RP for the reason you mentioned.

Concerning the channel though I would say it would probably suit everyone better if it was actually OOC - we don't want to impose RP on people who are not interested, and this is after all a very important channel for us all. We will probably need to discuss OOC stuff in there anyway.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Reply from DamionSchubert today about the chat channel system;

Quote :
Each planet has chat channels that allows you to communicate with other players on the same planet. Yes, we have different channels for general, pvp, trade, etc. You will be able to turn off the channel, flag another player as a spammer for Customer Support's review, and ignore problem players.

Disregarding whether or not they are realistic (and the presence of technology makes them much more realistic here than in fantasy games - you only have to look at a CB Radio for an analog), chat is very good for the community. Of particular note, some of our best content areas are the awesome multiplayer fights our worldbuilders have been setting up. If to fight those, you had to go to town and wait for someone else to wander by, life would suck, and this content (which I want to stress, in my opinion, is usually wicked fun) would never get done.

We currently don't have any global channels that cover the whole game. General rule of thumb in an MMO is that if your chat channel has more than a certain number of participants, it becomes spammy and unusable (something that we'll be keeping an eye on in our earlier planets).

I think it's good news!
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Me too!

I think that the global chat is something that will definitely help out us RiGers!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Schwendo wrote:
Me too!

I think that the global chat is something that will definitely help out us RiGers!
That's the point. There will probably not be any global channel. Or did you mean the planet channels?

Anyway, I am hoping this means we get to create our own channel as well Smile
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 pm

No default global chat channels, only planet channels.

No mention of guild chat either...

PvP chat???

Quote :
are the awesome multiplayer fights our worldbuilders have been setting up. If to fight those, you had to go to town and wait for someone else to wander by, life would suck,

This sound really World PvP-like...unless he's stressing the Warzones. O_o
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't really get what he's telling us there. How does it have to do with chat?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Global channels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global channels   Global channels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global channels
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: General Discussion - Talk about anything SW:TOR-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com