AuthorMessage
WesleyP.

WesleyP.

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

An actual website - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Sorry, but when it comes to web design, i'm completely lost.
But to have a "main" page with all the relevant infos (as you guys said, blogs, teasers etc), would be great. First impression....

Offered help here, too. Should it be about the TS i mentioned already, as about writing articles (better just translate it ^^, btw what about the idea of foreign language-forums? Just throw the thought...). Or anything else, i am capable of.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldPipes
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Arzon, would something like a facade website (discussed above) be possible? As in redirect to this forum while creating an overview. For Blogs, have a forum dedicated to it and new Blog Topics get automatically posted to the facade website.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Grome wrote:
Arzon, would something like a facade website (discussed above) be possible? As in redirect to this forum while creating an overview. For Blogs, have a forum dedicated to it and new Blog Topics get automatically posted to the facade website.

Yes, that is very possible. Ideally, I'd like to see if we can get a SQL dump of the DB that holds all the content of these forums so we could port them over to the new site. This free forum thing is very slow and I think it would due nicely to be able to host this elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 pm

As I mentioned to you in guild, Arz. I'm willing to help in anyway you guys need.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 am

Sounds like we're really close to grabbing a domain. Maybe toss up a short poll on which available name we want?

Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 am

Arz, I will reply to you in a PM Smile

But thanks ever so much for stepping up to the plate. Smile

I will sort out the domain name this weekend if we can agree on one, so please everyone, get your thinking caps on, and lets see what we can come up with!!!

Also for the domain name, I don’t think we have to worry too much on the length of it I don’t believe? I believe that when you actually create the domain, you can set your own filters anyhow? So for example, the domain may be www.Respectingaming.com but we could filter it in the search engine to be picked up by searching for ‘The Rig’ or RiG, what ever really. The more volume of traffic the more they will be raised up the goggle pecking order as well I believe?

An actual website - Page 3 Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am

It's not all about google results. applecomputers.com probably would have done less well than apple.com for Apple. It's more about ease of "use", I'd say.

respectingaming.com however works fine for me, as it's a pure domain and like I said in the other thread, people will already know what rig actually means before the site is even loaded.

Arz, that sounds very good.

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm

I like "respectinggaming.com" as well... search engines actually index on domain name first and that domain name is chock full of keywords for the purpose of this community. Something like "rig.org" doesn't mean anything to a search indexer and then you have to rely on meta data to try and get up in the search rankings, which is much less effective.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

So, as I said in the other thread, we'll have to go through a few things if we want to make that new web presence.

From new forums to the website itself we'll have to figure what we want it to be.

I'll start with the new forums, because for me that is the core of everything. That's where the real action is going on.

What forum software for the new forums? And what features do we need it to have?

Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 pm

I'll put in (because I don't know enough to answer this) that I would really like to have the Server Events Summary forum allow people to post and edit their own threads, but nobody can reply to a thread. I don't know how possible that is or what software would or would not allow it though. (I'm a forum admin newb!)

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 12:38 am

Yes, and it would also be nice to have the possibility to automatically have opening posts of some forums (blog, news, ...) posted directly to the "wall" of the website.
Does this depend on the forum software?

I think this kind of feature would be very useful.

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 am

Yes, which I am keeping in mind. I'm thinking of building all this using a CMS with a fully integrated social network aspect to it that also ties into the forums. This way everyone's profiles can be linked to articles they submit (blogs), forum posts, activity showing on the main site, etc...
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 am

Arzon wrote:
Yes, which I am keeping in mind. I'm thinking of building all this using a CMS with a fully integrated social network aspect to it that also ties into the forums. This way everyone's profiles can be linked to articles they submit (blogs), forum posts, activity showing on the main site, etc...

Sounds frakking awesome!!! (<---- Selven Profanity Filter Activated...)

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 4:45 am

Sounds frakking awesome indeed man!

Can you explain a bit how this CMS would work and especially how it'd be tied in with the forums.

Any way, I have always been of the opinion that the best way to involve users is to let them be part of content-creation - user created content. That achieves much more than anything else if coordinated correctly.

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 am

Sure, so the CMS itself will power the main portion of the website (using Joomla in this case). Users can register on the site and their login will immediately create a unique profile page for them. This is a bit of a social network aspect to the whole thing. The user login also grants access to post in the forums. So a single registration nails all these birds with one stone (versus more crude sites that require separate logins, unstable bridges, etc...). The forums will be created using Kunena (which integrates seamlessly w/ Joomla and the Community Builder extension). Kunena is basically a clone of phpbb and offers almost the same amount of functionality (minus a few bells and whistles that aren't really necessary for this community), but is much nicer to manage and work with alongside the CMS. It does have some sweet built in features though, like ranking based on post count, thanks for post and several other features. For being a free solution, it's one of the best out there.

On top of that, the forums will be integrated with the profile pages AND the profile pages will be integrated with the CMS. So, any posts made by the person will display on their profile as well as any articles they submit to the CMS. This will allow everyone to really get to know a person. If someone likes a particular person;s blog for example, they will easily be able to find more by that person.

Moderators will need to be assigned to approve content and manage the CMS/forums, etc... but it will all be consolidated in a single admin UI, thereby making management activities ridiculously easy.

Think of it like a CMS, a social network and forums on steroids that all want to make love to each other!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 am

That sounds good. It's especially important one registration settles everything.

How does the CMS link up with the forums? That is one thing I have no clear understanding of. I don't have that much idea in general how that would all look. Now this sounds pretty vague, I know, so I'm gonna shoot a couple of specific questions. Basically I'm wondering, are there two sources of content in the forums and the CMS? Or is it all just one?
I mean, let's say you want to comment a blog entry - where does it take you? Let's say you want to create an article, where would you find it afterwards?
If I understood correctly these things are outside of the forum, right? (not that I'd want them to be in the forum, I just want to make sure I understand this whole thing)

Also, what are the boundaries? I suppose we'll have to go over some structural elements and stuff, before that website can be realized.

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Traditionally, CMS's have stood independent of forums since so there is usually much difficulty in integrating the two (and many simply don't even want to try). There are several ways to do so, but the key is finding the most stable way possible in which forums activity is reflected within the CMS and the forums themselves are manageable from within the CMS's admin UI as well. This eliminates the need to educate one's self and maintain two fairly independent systems. Kunena's admin is managed from within the main CMS's backend and the two systems are so fully integrated that data is shared at a constant and stable rate. I think this would be ideal for a community site that focuses on maintaining an informational site in tandem with community forums. I'm still in the researching phase though because I've never personally used Kunena, so I am toying with it to see just how good it is. I like what I've seen so far though.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 am

How can the front page be modeled?

I'll dig out a few topics we might have to discuss.

- Chat on the website. It's without a doubt a feature we should think about. Shoutbox is also an idea but personally I think a chat is more interesting. Do you have any idea yet how this could be implemented?

- Vent display?

- Probably we're gonna go for a main feed? Where everything new appears when it's posted (blog entry, news entry, etc). Aside from this there could be "corners" if we need them. Like a blog corner, where you always see the title of the last blog(s).

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Yep, all of that already in mind Smile
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Great!

What about such things as events. We were planning to have an events discussion forum and a event announcement forum where the decided events would be "advertised" and explained shortly.

Should that be changed to fit better with the model? It would be good to have a "coming events" box on the website but you'll have to tell if it's possible from the event announcement forum or if there is a better way to go on about this.

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 pm

I was thinking of putting up a calendar on the site that people can submit events to. Click on the date of the calendar that has an event listed to see the details of that event.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

A calendar is good but I think an additional "upcoming events" box near the top of the website is neat, as people don't always check calendars, even if they are right there. Sort of a "reminder" box.

Now, for sure we're gonna:

1. discuss events (ideas) first
2. when everything has been settled on for an event, post an overview with the important info

step 1 is obviously gonna take place in the forums.

step 2 is not so sure anymore.
so, what about this... either I or II:

I) the planned events are directly posted via an "event entry" that then also appears in the calendar and the "upcoming events" box.

II) the planned events are posted in an event announcement forum, from where they will make their way to the calendar and "upcoming events" box when a mod picks them up and adds them.

The only difference really is that in the one scenario everyone can directly make an event entry, in the other you'll need a mod to do it (hence there is an extra forum). The thought behind this is that it might be inviting for people to create just whatever crap as an event if they have the ability to do so. That is why I personally favor ii) but what do you think?

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 am

Definitely needs to be moderated as you don't want spam events on there. Posting the event on the forums first is an idea. Alternatively I could look and see about having a submission form on the site that will kick off a notification to the mods that an event has been created and it requires their approval (with the click of a button or something) in order for the event to be published.

I think that is the way to go for all user-contributed content as it is.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:41 am

I do have another suggestion. Can you provide support for users to use the Aurabesh alphabet on the website and forums? Preferably also a download with instructions for people's personal computers...

Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

lol, not sure about that one... might make it hard to read Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An actual website
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next