Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

An actual website - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 2:46 pm

What would that be for?

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 am

Grome wrote:
What would that be for?

I wouldn't want the whole site done in aurabesh, just the ability to select it as a font when posting. It is the official Star Wars universe alphabet after all Wink But much like the Shyriiwook translator, it could be fun for the RPers in the crowd, and even useful when posting translations of the text from the Holonet.

Plus I personally wouldn't mind starting a thread to practice as I would like to be able to read it without translating. Of course sanity was never really my strength... Suspect

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 am

Haha, that certainly sounds like a great gimmick Smile

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 am

I'm looking at this from the entry point of view.

I think we should have entry forms which are accessible to everybody registered, but need confirmation of mods to go through; and also some which are made accessible only to a selected few.

Entry forms I can think of now include:

- Blog
- News / Announcement (concerning the community - question: should we have game news like "patch coming up" in our news as well? It's not really our focus but what do you think?)
- Feature (different kinds: forum topic feature, video feature, guild feature, etc whatever)
- Event

Mmmh, that's all I come up with right now. Add anything you can think of to it please!

Blog form: restricted to the people who are interested in regularly writing a blog/column, easy entry though (you just need to want to do it). Possible need for confirmation to get published by a mod for people that are new.

News form: restricted to the people who would like to do this, I guess. tbh I can't really figure out what kind of news I'm talking about here. I guess something like "reached xx members registered" or similar ...

Feature form: restricted too, we'll see who choses what gets featured but I'm thinking we can have like a place in the forums where you can suggest for something to be featured or the likes.
This is a very interesting area.

Event form: not restricted but needs confirmation by a mod to be published.

Any thoughts, please voice them.

Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:15 am

Regarding separate News and Game News forms; would that include separate displays for different types of news? I think that would get cluttered and confusing. If we want to do game news announcements perhaps we should just include them with the regular news?

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 am

Aldemarran wrote:
Regarding separate News and Game News forms; would that include separate displays for different types of news? I think that would get cluttered and confusing. If we want to do game news announcements perhaps we should just include them with the regular news?
No argument about that, I was just generally wondering whether we wanted game news or not (or to some extent). No reason to have an extra form for game news if we do them.

Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:26 am

Grome wrote:
Aldemarran wrote:
No argument about that, I was just generally wondering whether we wanted game news or not (or to some extent). No reason to have an extra form for game news if we do them.

We could write about anything we like really. I don't think we need to do a Darthater type site though, or go as in depth about new releases or dig out previously published info simply to fatten the site up as so many others do. Mostly because well, all you are doing is rehashing already existing news and merely changing the odd word here and there, it’s a bit lame to be honest. (it was one of the things I hated when I was working on a different fansite a while ago called Tor-Aid, in all honesty I fell out of love with the whole concept as it was merely a rehash site, you posted no opinions or thoughts of your own, all you did was take an already existing article from the main boards changed the layout and the wording and reposted it…..Nothing new, nothing exiting, it merely felt a tad pointless really)

I do however think that if a new piece of info comes out, then I see absolutely no reason what so ever why we could not do a review of the latest updates, what we think of them, perhaps links to other sites or articles written on them and so on. We will likely become tied in with other sites going forward, it’s the nature of the beast, and some good relationships with those sites will be no bad thing?

I think the main purpose of the site however is very much the same main purpose of what we are all here for. Community.

I envisage it in my mind as a site which is all about the community we are creating, about guild events, server wide events, little write ups on certain community members who are perhaps doing something which is awesome, but not always the obvious thing to be written about by the main sites, and so on. We would have screenshots, little in game videos of events, write ups on them, comments and feedback from people who took part, or organised them, yadda yadda.

I would also love to do certain things which brought one or two guilds each month into the lime light so to speak. Perhaps one of the guilds on here, even one not affiliated with the site, but very much working on the same concepts on its own has done a set of great events, and been a great community guild on a server, well why not then publish these achievements? Give them a little thanks and recognition? I know for me personally I would love a little bit of friendly competition between the guilds eventually, to be the guild that runs these amazing events, to be the most active in the community and so on. These types of people and guilds can make a community, which is why we are all here hehe, and I think anything we can do then help recognise and promote not only the guild but their events and what their plans are for the future etc the better?

I am sure many of you have ideas and thoughts on what we could do? And we should all be putting them out there for discussion. Mine is my vision. You guys may have others? I am 100% open to any and all ideas people on here have, as well, its you guys who it is for. If you think it would serve a better purpose as something else, lets hear what you have in mind!! I know together we can make it work, and I think this site could give us the platform to get these thoughts and ideas out to the general gaming community, help to promote our events, our aims and goals, and to hopefully ensure all our hard work going forward will be rewarded with good turn outs, and many happy faces!! sunny jocolor queen king rendeer bom Very Happy

An actual website - Page 4 Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 12:38 pm

I like what you have there Ty, and I think this matches closely with where I and others have been driving towards. The only thing I would clarify is that I believe many people will not read the main SW:TOR website, coming here and to their guild's website for even the basic news. So I see relaying announcements as a natural part (not a whole) of what we do. And besides, since when does a community not discuss such things? Wink Which I believe matches what you were saying, just clarifying.

Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Matches exactly Smile

I think any new update can have an affect on the community either positive or negative as well some times, and i think having those discussions could be a good thing as well Smile

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm

That's an awesome vision there Ty!

I agree about making news entries concerning the latest info on the game or the latest patch, whatsoever. I also agree it should not be about rewriting a piece of info à la copypaste and interchanging a few words (I also worked on a website that did stuff like this once and it's not only not that much fun to read but especially it's really boring to work on... and of course it's kind or lame) but a more refined way of bringing it to the community.

Comments, observations, ramifications that will follow, even speculation maybe, all that is more interesting because you get more than just the info. If you wanted just the info you could just go to other websites which really focus on that.

Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Exactly Grome. Smile

Those kind of insights can be invaluable. And as you have mentioned far more interesting to read as well lol Smile

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 pm

It's probably a no-brainer but a spoiler thing like this here we could make use of.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Stumbled upon the website by chance tonight... looks pretty good!

A question for now, is it possible to have ingame character in the profile, much like in here?

I also like the news box at the right side with feeds from different sources.

Chat looks cool too.

With the picture ratings something interesting could be done as well. Contests for the best city-/nature-screen and stuff like that. Any chance for that to be realized through the "Gallery"?

The FAQ is interesting. We had some forum stuff planned to "explain" what RIG is, but that is even better.

Last edited by Grome on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Another thing as well. In the Layout discussion thread we were making the header forums (like "Welcome", "General Game Discussion", "General Discussion", basically the ones where all the subforums go in) forums themselves, for every thread that wouldn't fit in any of the subforums. Is that practical for this forum or is it necessary to add another subforum to serve exactly as that "dumpster" forum, if you will.

Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 pm

I Veni, Vidi, Vici...

Nice new websites...

Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah, it's been online for almost two weeks now apparently, didn't know it was already there Smile

But I think Arzon is still eagerly working on it.

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 11:01 pm

One more question Arz, can the form for events be modified at will?

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Grome wrote:
Stumbled upon the website by chance tonight... looks pretty good!

A question for now, is it possible to have ingame character in the profile, much like in here?

Yes, you can do this now on your profile page.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Grome wrote:
Yeah, it's been online for almost two weeks now apparently, didn't know it was already there Smile

But I think Arzon is still eagerly working on it.

Still very much a work in progress which is why I didn't announce it as being up yet. With this kind of programming though, it's MUCH easier to code on the live domain, otherwise you have to change a shit ton of things if you have to move the site to a different domain.
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Grome wrote:

To some extent... depends on what you want.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Arzon wrote:
Grome wrote:

To some extent... depends on what you want.
Depends what we come up with... We were gonna attack that subject soon. We're gonna have to think about what's necessary and stuff. Think I'm gonna create that thread soon.

Thanks for your work!

By the way, is it possible to add things of the profile to the posting profile (what shows next to each of your posts)? For things such as ingame character that could prove useful because you might know the person only under that name.

Also, that karma thing can be useful (although I have seen such thing be abused). Can everyone give out one karma per person, is that it? Or per post?

And the thing I was wondering about before: Header forums, are they only "containers" (for subforums) where you can't actually make threads (unlike the official tor forums) or is it possible to have threads in both header forum AND subforum (like tor forums).

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:08 am

Grome wrote:
By the way, is it possible to add things of the profile to the posting profile (what shows next to each of your posts)? For things such as ingame character that could prove useful because you might know the person only under that name.

Not quite sure until I dig into that code a little more. It should be possible I would think.

Quote :
Also, that karma thing can be useful (although I have seen such thing be abused). Can everyone give out one karma per person, is that it? Or per post?

It's on a timer. Like you can award one karma point per person per hour or something like that. In addition, we have a "thanks for post" feature as well, which I like better than karma, but we can decide if everyone wants to keep one or both later.

Quote :
And the thing I was wondering about before: Header forums, are they only "containers" (for subforums) where you can't actually make threads (unlike the official tor forums) or is it possible to have threads in both header forum AND subforum (like tor forums).

Correct... the headers are just that. I do not believe there's a way to post in a parent forum. I could be wrong though so will look into it more.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 am

Arzon wrote:
Quote :

Correct... the headers are just that. I do not believe there's a way to post in a parent forum. I could be wrong though so will look into it more.

We can work around that easily enough. Thanks for the clarification!

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 12:16 am

Yeah, we'll see what we do about it but it's not a big deal.

Arzon, for the Events form to fill out, can we add fields like faction (drop down), Server (drop down possibly) and other easy things like this with either drop down or text field?

Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 2:56 am

Grome wrote:
Yeah, we'll see what we do about it but it's not a big deal.

Arzon, for the Events form to fill out, can we add fields like faction (drop down), Server (drop down possibly) and other easy things like this with either drop down or text field?

I have to check out what it takes to add custom fields. Will let you know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An actual website   An actual website - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An actual website
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next