The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ

Go down 
+4
Ty-Odi
azarhal
Schwendo
HDubNZ
8 posters
AuthorMessage
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ Empty
PostSubject: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 am

In the scheme of things by comparison to other countries, not the worst disaster but in a country of 4 million people it's the greatest single loss of life in decades.

Pike River joins list of mining tragedies

Today's Pike River disaster ranks as the worst national mining disaster in 96 years since 43 coal miners lost their lives at Ralph's Mine, Waikato.

For the last five days the Pike River coal mine has been a scene of uncertainty and today's explosion was the news nobody wanted to hear.

In a way this week's vigil has been different as the nation, and the world, stood by awaiting news that would lift spirits.

At 2.37pm today things changed drastically. Any chance of reuniting the miners with their families was erased when a massive second explosion ripped through the mine.

Police Commander Gary Knowles and Pike River Coal chief Peter Whittall had been in the media spotlight for the previous five days. It fell to these men to inform the families of the tragic news.

Not since the Erebus disaster in 1979 has New Zealand experienced a loss of life on this scale, compounded by intense media coverage.

The Greymouth community is in mourning again as they grieve the loss of 29 men.

The worst single event was in 1896 at the Brunner mine, about 25km from Pike River and essentially mining the same coal block, where 65 miners were killed in New Zealand's worst industrial accident.

It was believed an unauthorised detonating of a charge in an abandoned section of the mine - the most likely cause - set off a methane gas explosion, killing half the underground workforce.

Traditional mining is highly dangerous - rock falls, explosions and accidents involving equipment were the most frequent causes of deaths in the New Zealand mining industry when it started out in the 1840s

My thoughts and sympathy the families and local community. Days like these you are thankful for everything you have.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:04 am

I am really sorry to hear that Dub' Sad

My condolences to the families...It really makes me sad when the hard working blue-collar types get hurt...or worse Sad
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:09 pm

There have been a lots of mining accidents this year. Sad
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Another lot Sad

Really tragic when you hear of things like this, those poor families who will be without a loved one, especially at this time of year it just makes it even more tragic Sad
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Natheless

Natheless

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:37 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. This is terrible.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:46 pm

HDubNZ wrote:
In the scheme of things by comparison to other countries, not the worst disaster but in a country of 4 million people it's the greatest single loss of life in decades.

Loss of life on any scale, no matter where it is, is a tragedy.

Best wishes to all of the families and lives impacted by this disaster.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Worst thing was there was the first explosion, then they were unable to get in there, and now with the second they may never get in
Back to top Go down
Zooball

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 am

I was so hoping for a repeat of the Chilean mine rescue. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ   Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mining Tragedy Kills 29 in NZ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com