The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Noob Question

Go down 
+7
Schwendo
Quince
HDubNZ
Natheless
Darka
Grome
Fett_Fan27
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Wilburt
Class: Bounty Hunter
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 am

Ok so i have been playing MMO's and am currently playing Dungeons and Drangons Online to fill the void where SWTOR is supposed to be. any ways, i have seen people talk about role playing dreams. so we come upon my question. what is role playing?
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 5:48 am

You know when you and your girlfriend dress up in costumes... Oh, not talking about that?

Now, while I think the others can get it explained in better detail I'm still gonna give you a short try:

Say you create a character in TOR. You have a story in mind for him that will define him. It's like coming up with someone's life (where was he born, under what circumstances has he lived, etc). When you are RPing (role playing) you are essentially living that character you created instead of being you. He can be anything you want (total opposite of you or rather similar - you make his story). You talk like he would talk, make choices like he would - you ARE basically him for the time you're RPing. Usually ingame. It's gotta fit with the lore though.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:44 am

Grome wrote:
You know when you and your girlfriend dress up in costumes... Oh, not talking about that?

Now, while I think the others can get it explained in better detail I'm still gonna give you a short try:

Say you create a character in TOR. You have a story in mind for him that will define him. It's like coming up with someone's life (where was he born, under what circumstances has he lived, etc). When you are RPing (role playing) you are essentially living that character you created instead of being you. He can be anything you want (total opposite of you or rather similar - you make his story). You talk like he would talk, make choices like he would - you ARE basically him for the time you're RPing. Usually ingame. It's gotta fit with the lore though.

Yeah pretty much, you have a character ( your toon) and you just basically pretend they are real, control their actions, be them, etc basically

If your interested in RPing we have a great RP community set up
Back to top Go down
Natheless

Natheless

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 7:12 am

Hi Fett,

No such thing as a bad (or stupid or 'noob') question, and you're not the only one who might learn something from the answers because you asked it either.

Grome gave you a great starter intro definition there, and Darka said it short and sweet. If you'd like to know a bit more, have a look at this post over in the Cantina section:
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk/the-cantina-f6/am-i-rp-t185.htm
There's some more great bits of info there.

If you think you might be interested in trying it one day, the 7th post down by Ty-Odi has some especially great info about how to set yourself up in the beginning with your personal story and how to plan it out and two down from that one, Godric_Barbarosa has a great check list for personality traits. It can all be as simple or as complex as you want to make it.

There are a few RPers in here as well who I'm sure would be more than happy to help and answer any further questions you have, so ask away!

(If you do have questions though, probably best to ask them under that section so the appropriate people see it)

Have fun!

Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Fett_Fan27 wrote:
Ok so i have been playing MMO's and am currently playing Dungeons and Drangons Online to fill the void where SWTOR is supposed to be. any ways, i have seen people talk about role playing dreams. so we come upon my question. what is role playing?

The answers are fairly masterful FETT. However in order to get a fix of a game that is based on a revered piece of work with great canon and lore and an excellent story arc may I suggest Lord of the Rings Online? It will more closely prepare you for that side of things.

It is also Free to Play so you will be able to at least have a taste of it.
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 pm

HDubNZ wrote:
Fett_Fan27 wrote:

The answers are fairly masterful FETT. However in order to get a fix of a game that is based on a revered piece of work with great canon and lore and an excellent story arc may I suggest Lord of the Rings Online? It will more closely prepare you for that side of things.

It is also Free to Play so you will be able to at least have a taste of it.

It's also a pretty good game, that's where a few of us Crazies are hanging out till TOR comes out atm.
Back to top Go down
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 pm

sounds cool think imma give RP a try

and yea imma try out lord of the rings for sure

Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 7:10 pm

I still would like to get into LoTR...So far, no dice on "free time"...
Back to top Go down
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 7:17 pm

yea imma be playing some time tomorrow, my crappy internet is going to take around ten hours to download it lol
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Fett there is a few R.I.G members on the Landroval server for LoTRO, check the Community Gaming Night thread for more into.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 am

azarhal wrote:
Fett there is a few R.I.G members on the Landroval server for LoTRO, check the Community Gaming Night thread for more into.

I am on Arkenstone and have found a really nice Oceanic guild - but I might just roll on Landroval...you never know!
Back to top Go down
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 pm

lol im just now patching the game, there are over 6000 little files files to download *SIGH*
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Kotor 1 is available on Steam dirty cheap: http://store.steampowered.com/app/32370/

KoTOR 2 might be harder to find.
Back to top Go down
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am

Nice catch lol thanks a bunch, now i hunt for KOTOR 2
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am

Hehe, I think I posted this in the wrong thread. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:12 am

all good lol, i'm just here, waiting, dying a little, waiting for LOTRO to patch. lol
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:39 am

Now that the question has been actually answered, here's the joke answer.

This is RP:

Back to top Go down
Fett_Fan27

Fett_Fan27

Ingame Characters
Guild:

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 2:43 am

lol "AM I... AM I GETTING DRUNK? ROLL THE DICE TO SEE IF I'M GETTING DRUNK"
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 am

Fett_Fan27 wrote:

Man, that was on the Summoner game disc, before 8bit got a hold of it.

Such a great joke lol
Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Fett_Fan27 wrote:

Man, that was on the Summoner game disc, before 8bit got a hold of it.

Such a great joke lol

LOL no kidding, they sooo nicked that from Summoner and didn't even give a nod to the Summoner folks.
They must've went to the Jay Leno "Stealing other people's ideas and passing it off as your own 101" school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Noob Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Question   Noob Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noob Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Forumotion's free forums | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com