The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tournament Idea!!

Go down 
+4
Kai-Sun
Schwendo
Darka
Valentin Bravado
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Valentin Bravado

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Valentin de Lafayette
Class: Smuggler
Guild: The Smugglers Union

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:59 am

I have an idea to bring this to a new level.

In FPS and RTS games they have a tournament system. In this tournament system, it is designed sort of like a Football season. You have several scrimmages against other guilds, and they are to be conducted and organized through the Tournament Organization (Your Charter.) There will be official rules and ways to report the success of each battle. At the end of the Preliminary season, each guild will report their number of wins/losses. (Each guild will be required to participate in a minimum number of official battles through the Charter Organization).

Then, say there are 10 Preliminary Battles, if you have 7 wins, you will go on. The top guilds will then be pitted against each other according to success rates and guild size, etc. We can even have several divisions. Small guilds, medium, and large for guilds of certain sizes, or battles of certain sizes (i.e. 1v1, 2v2, 5v5, 8v8...etc)

Then upon this, we eventually have our champions.

What this will do is provide an avenue for guilds to search for PvP with other guilds ONLY through your Charter, meaning we only allow the competition of guilds who believe in the same old-school, traditional style PvP.

I think this will allow us to gain alot of publicity about what you are tryin to do, as well as actually provide an additional incentive to join this Charter. There is the old school PvP that we all agree on, but this provides a place to practice it. Moreso, it provides an avenue for competition, and gaining fame for guilds.

This could be a hot and heavy way to get activity from these guilds in this idea, as well as provide a place to practice it!!
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:02 am

Anything over time needs to have an understanding my all parties who would be willing to commit,
Could organise something a little different, have a bit of fun with it
Maybe even invent a pvp based sport
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Thats a great "Guild on Guild" pvp idea!

I also like the PvP tourney. I think you could also have a "Thunderdome meets All Valley (karate kid)" tournament. You could have eliminations, even a playoff tree! Loot, gear, $$$ could be the reward! We did this in SWG, and it was VERY popular!

In RiG/TOR, we could actually run it quarterly, depending on interest...or bi-yearly.

Ideas? comments??
Back to top Go down
Valentin Bravado

Ingame Characters

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 pm

I think we should have entry fees (In game money) and give the proceeds to the winner teams (s). I think we could give the grand prize, and then smaller prizes for the runner up team. Additionally, they would be recognized as the Champions.

As far as how often we do it...I would say do a Winter Forum and do a Summer Forum. I think Bi-Annually is enough. You neeed time to train, time to recruit, time, to compete enough times for the preliminary rounds, etc...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Bi annually sounds good to me as well.

Should be a lot of fun!
Back to top Go down
Narevek

Narevek

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:00 pm

This sounds like a very fun idea. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://eclipse-guild.com
Xaxus

Xaxus

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xaxus
Guild: Serenity

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Sounds very kool ! bounce
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm

That is a very good idea! Now we only need to sort out the details and put everything together, everyone's suggestions will make it a very successful system, I am sure.

Twice a year seems enough, you don't want to overdo it. Chances are, the tournament might take a while anyway (couple of weeks, depending on the amount of guilds participating). So we could have this biannual tournament and some sort of league running on the side. Or regular practice matches.

I think this offers a great variety of choices yet again: GvG is bound to be phenomenal but we could also add another category (or more). As mentioned, GvG would be neat. 1v1, 2v2, ..., and other combinations are a nice addition to the arsenal I think. We have to respect the people that will not necessarily be in a guild. Just gotta figure out which ones are the most popular and pick these (because I think 10 or so categories is a bit too much - we should maybe restrict it to a max of 3 or 4?).

About GvG: There are many ways to make this happen. Either the whole guild participates on each side, which will not be favored because of varying guild member amounts; Or you have to pick a certain amount of people from your guild for each match (you can change and rotate the people if you like), like 10 or 20 or whatever, and the winner of a "best of three" or "best of five" advances (makes it more interesting than just one match and more fair too maybe - and you can try different strategies). The matches shouldn't be too close to each other but not too far away from each other.

Another possible thing we could do is just all the RiG Republic guilds vs. all the RiG Empire guilds each gather a big army to have a couple of "best of x" clashes to determine the winner of this "supercup", if you will. This could be done once a year or also twice, but not at the same time as the other tournaments. The champion in this scenario would either be the Republic or the Empire. This could be amazing because it is just such a big scope - you could even split up the battles, make different kinds of battles (battles on different planets, battle in different scopes, etc) and the overall winner would have to be determined.

I also like Darka's suggestion to go in a different direction altogether and create a new PvP based sport ingame. Now, are there ideas for that? I am sure that would be a lot of fun too. Could run on the side of the normal PvP projects.
Back to top Go down
Valentin Bravado

Ingame Characters

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:17 pm

I think the best way to do this is to make it Guild vs Guild, and have ten prelim rounds, and have four circuits: 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, 8v8.

As far as other ideas, I think they are good but I really think that while we are a brand new hatched organization, we need to keep it simple until we are established and prominent. I gave a little monologue in the Measuring Success forum thread, and it talks about how we need to maintain long term goals, but achieve them through long term goals. If we want a variety of competitive circuits and dynamics for PvP, I think we should appropriate our resources as we obtain them.

Lets start the operation small, and as we grow, we implement other ideas.

I think if we get too far ahead of ourselves with TOO many variants of the same idea, we will have fewer people running each one and we will be spread completely thin.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:05 pm

Valentin Bravado wrote:
I think the best way to do this is to make it Guild vs Guild, and have ten prelim rounds, and have four circuits: 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, 8v8.

As far as other ideas, I think they are good but I really think that while we are a brand new hatched organization, we need to keep it simple until we are established and prominent. I gave a little monologue in the Measuring Success forum thread, and it talks about how we need to maintain long term goals, but achieve them through long term goals. If we want a variety of competitive circuits and dynamics for PvP, I think we should appropriate our resources as we obtain them.

Lets start the operation small, and as we grow, we implement other ideas.

I think if we get too far ahead of ourselves with TOO many variants of the same idea, we will have fewer people running each one and we will be spread completely thin.
I think I agree. It is good to start small and let each single project evolve over time. It's good to "establish" our PvP project at first and then expand.

While you are right that we are a brand new community, we will not be come launch and we can probably expect to have grown quite large by then. So it is still important to keep the ideas coming, whatever they may be, and not dismiss them right away.

There are many PvP related ideas and before we pick a new couch for the living room, we gotta see what every one of the roommates thinks about the couches that are available (metaphor AND subtle hint at Selv Razz).

So keep the ideas coming! Before we can decide anything we need to see what is even possible - and then what we like best. And how we would like it best.

As for the GvG you are explaining here: Can you explain in more detail what you mean?
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 pm

I like the Guild vs. Guild idea. But, I also like the 1 x 1 non-Guild related "RiG tourney". I think there will be room for both ideas, and many many more!

Tournament Idea!! 44873 < Open....My mind is...
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I love this idea Smile

I would really love to see something like this take off Smile

I would also love to have an Academy running alongside these sort of events, for those who were not competing but would like to know more about PVP, why people use certain attacks, why certain orders, timing, etc, just general hints and tips. Some friendly duals, just make an complete and utter event of the whole thing? Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 am

Ty-Odi wrote:
I love this idea Smile

I would really love to see something like this take off Smile

I would also love to have an Academy running alongside these sort of events, for those who were not competing but would like to know more about PVP, why people use certain attacks, why certain orders, timing, etc, just general hints and tips. Some friendly duals, just make an complete and utter event of the whole thing? Smile
Sort of like a "PvP practice evening" with everything included like sharing strategies and tips, etc. Sounds good!
Back to top Go down
Valentin Bravado

Ingame Characters

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 6:00 am

Ok, the tournament does not even have to be guild vs guild really. What happens is there are four circuits. 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8.
If you want to PvP, you will enter your team in one of the circuits. If theres four of you...do 4v4. No brainer right there. Now, I said GvG, but its doesnt have to be. Rather, it can just be scrim teams. So if we have people who just like to PvP alone, they can do a 1v1 and represent only themselves, not a guild. If there are 4 guys who are friends, none of them are in guilds, they can just band up, get a name for their scrim team, and enter to tourny. They could compete against 4 other homeboys, or 4 people from a guild scrim team.

Essentially this is a way of providing a tournament system where there are scrim battles and such for PvP, but its team vers team, or guild vs guild.

The Prelim rounds are the rounds before the actual tournament. The Tournament of Champions would consist of the top 8 teams. The top 4 Republic teams, and the top 4 Imperial teams.

The way to determine who goes to the TOC is by a season of PvP.

Lets say you have a group of eight people. You want to compete on the 8v8 circuit. You will compete in, over the course of three or four months, say...10 Battles. You will compete and battle 10 times.

We will keep a Win to Loss chart for each team. Now, the battles have to be scheduled with RIG beforehand. We will then OK the battle and make it an official qualifying battle.

Then, after the four months, the total Wins and Losses of the teams will be tallied up, and then we will select the top 8. We will then pit them against eachother. Should the final two teams be both Republic, we would call a Tie for the Championship, and they would split the reward.

Its like college football (In America). You play so many games in the Season. Then, depending on your win/loss record, you go to a Bowl game.

We can then, also, give out Spirit Awards to the teams with the best Team Spirit. This sort of thing will allow us to promote our tournament ladder and attract people to our tournament. Then, when they visit the site, they will realize what we are all about, and join.

Goin back on what you said though about how we will be established later on...That is true, but we may not be as prominent when we actually get into launch. When I say get big...I mean be able to say ..."Hey, we won the Tournament of Champions hosted by RIG..." And then have guilds that aren't even a part of RIG know what we are talking about...

But anyways...I believe we WILL be very big once launch comes around. However, we must also organize everything upon launch, get everything organized, and set things in motion.

We may be big, but if we hit launch, get in game, and start trying too many things at once, we will exhaust ourselves and wither away.

The best method is to host One version of the PvP Tournament, and make it available to 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 upon launch.

After that becomes a successful, we could do something like Gladiator Tournaments...Get loads of Medium level people to take on one person, and do 5v1 type stuff...

The point is, start small, them grow. Not just Small and grow in numbers, but in organization. Our membership number can be as high as we want, and it will mean nothing unless we can organize a ladder properly.

Hope this helps the discussion!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Yes, it was clear that "start small, then grow" was not referring to numbers. I was just remembering that with larger numbers of people more things are possible and imaginable. I agree with you however that things should be started slowly at first (as said before).

I wanna take your quote here first:
Valentin Bravado wrote:
The best method is to host One version of the PvP Tournament, and make it available to 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 upon launch.
To this I say: this being the best method is your opinion. So don't dismiss everything else quite yet. We're still in the most raw discussions... Everyone has a right to chip in and suggest what he thinks could work great.

About your system. It's definitely a good base idea. A few things, though:

- "Start slow": 4 circuits to begin with may be too much. It may be better to see which ones are the most popular ones (we might not be able to decide this now?).

- More than one winner: you pointed the possibility out yourself there being more than one winner. However, there can be more than two as well, which is the big problem. Ideally, there would only be one winner.
The fact is, we very likely won't be able to have matches between groups of the same faction.
In the tournament then, what if the 4 emp guilds win? 4 winners? That's not cool. So gotta see what we can do there...

- For the reward I liked the "fee+fee+fee+fee=reward" system. Fee won't need to be big - depending on how many will participate. You should maybe also take a small fee for the preliminary match time. This is probably really a matter which shouldn't be discussed at this point, as long as we all agree it is fitting.

- Additional awards sound good but maybe figure that out later? Let's keep it in mind though... Spirit awards is a good idea.

- As for who participates: I will take what Ty said: everyone can, but they have to follow the rules of respect we set up. They may, in result, sometime join the community.

- To still put the GvG ideas out there: The system I was contemplating was this one: Every guild that wants to participate would have a number of fighting members (say 10) that they can modify at any point they want (except in battle) - so they can switch, rotate, etc.
Another idea here is to split the numbers up into many smaller fights (or many smaller, and a big one, or... you see what I'm getting at).

- Another Idea: "Ambush" PvP. We give two teams (regardless of what system) just the fight location and they both start an equal distance away from this location. Might look interesting.

- Best of X matches. IMO an interesting way to make it a little more suspense. The X matches could also be all different kinds of PvP (normal charge and fight, "ambush" system I described before, as well as other types we will come up with). The order is somehow randomly determined. This can be especially interesting because maybe one group is better at one scenario etc.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 pm

I'll dig around in my e-mails...

We had a VERY detailed structure for the Player PvP tourneys back in 2005. But, as the sands of time continue to trickle out, I have forgotten them. Great brainstorming on this, though. I think we an all find a nice "middle ground" where we have multiple event types under the same "RiG Sponsored" hood...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tournament Idea!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournament Idea!!   Tournament Idea!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tournament Idea!!
Page 1 of 1