The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?

Go down 
+21
CRR_Kathy
TheJW
Mongo
Lanius
Redriot
Aylin
Stryklone
Vhayl Una
Dresgar
Abslom-dak
HDubNZ
Horeon
Mannic
Schwendo
Mli
Kai-Sun
Grome
Godric_Barbarosa
Lednik
Xaxus
Darka
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? Empty
PostSubject: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:24 am

Its something that has me curious.
With all new games people flock in and love the new fresh content, they play it and once they get bored of it they tend to move on. What i would like to know is a couple of this:

*What keeps you playing a game long term?

*What can TOR do to keep you playing Long term?

To me i have always desired the game to still feel fresh and challenging years after release. Where i still have to be on my guard even though my character is much stronger, and i am more skilled in the game. While also keeping it interesting, i still want that sense of danger when i am out exploring, not the sense that What ever is going to attack me i will be able to handle, on top of knowing what i will encounter out there.

Though what keeps me playing most is great community, i have said it before and I will say it again, Community is the 5th Pillar. It makes this game, it brings it alive. Good people make these games great, they help enhance your experience in every way. A good community for me is key to playing this game long term, if the people are not there i will be moving on.

I hope TOR has a great set of community tools as well as encouragign player interaction, but in the end it will be up to us to make a good community. What the devs can do though is stay on top and keep the game alive, bringing in new ideas and updates, still having challenge for those at higher level, while keeping it interesting and unique.

These are just some of my thoughts on this, but i am interested in seeing what the rest of the people feel is key to the Longevity of the game, and what keeps them playing in MMOs long term.

Thanks!
Smile
Back to top Go down
Xaxus

Xaxus

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xaxus
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:39 am

Well for me, will be how I pace myself. To me, gameplay isnt everything. Sometimes just talking in guild chat, is good enough for me. Sometimes crafting all day is too. I love pvp, so will always have that. Doing raids, group stuff sure Im down. Im really casual, so its easy for me to be happy.. Laughing My plan so far, since ive joined RIG is, this toon be in Republic guild, Then maybe, make a bounty hunter, join the Crazies or another Empire guild (RIG approved of course) geek Then DARKA, ill make a Roleplay toon, to join your guild for some fun. I kinda wanna spread the fun. so Ill always have something fun to do. Plus all you guys here are now my new mmo family Smile afro
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am

Yes pacing is important and i do strongly feel people should "live" the game, your real life is far more important then your virtual one
Back to top Go down
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:19 am

I was thinking about this recently. I have my dreams about the "perfect" MMO, but doubt they would ever materialize in TOR or any other game. Anyway, may be this is the right place to share what i dream of bounce
So... the main thing i want is a quest system, totally different from any i have seen so far. Doing hundreds of quests like "go to place X and talk to NPC Y", or "go to place Z and kill 10 boars" annoys me to death. I want to do only handful of quests, but all them to be unique for every char in the game. No quest helpers, no internet sites with quest info. And i imagine these quests to be really epic mysteries and puzzles and to require not just killing some mobs, but a lot of thinking, consideration and luck. You will have to visit remote parts of the galaxy to search for answers and items, but only after you figure out by yourself where exactly you should go. Some of the quests, or even most of them would be extremely difficult to complete, but not because you need to kill some very tough boss. You just didn't figure out how to solve the puzzle, or were to look for the missing ingredient, etc. But if completed, these quests should bring really huge and epic rewards which will make you char really unique. Something like this would keep me in the game for very long time. I want my intelligence to be challenged, no just my agility and quick reactions.
OK, i know these are just dreams. In the currents state of the gaming industry it is impossible to have anything like it. Well, dreaming is free santa
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Lednik wrote:
I was thinking about this recently. I have my dreams about the "perfect" MMO, but doubt they would ever materialize in TOR or any other game. Anyway, may be this is the right place to share what i dream of bounce
So... the main thing i want is a quest system, totally different from any i have seen so far. Doing hundreds of quests like "go to place X and talk to NPC Y", or "go to place Z and kill 10 boars" annoys me to death. I want to do only handful of quests, but all them to be unique for every char in the game. No quest helpers, no internet sites with quest info. And i imagine these quests to be really epic mysteries and puzzles and to require not just killing some mobs, but a lot of thinking, consideration and luck. You will have to visit remote parts of the galaxy to search for answers and items, but only after you figure out by yourself where exactly you should go. Some of the quests, or even most of them would be extremely difficult to complete, but not because you need to kill some very tough boss. You just didn't figure out how to solve the puzzle, or were to look for the missing ingredient, etc. But if completed, these quests should bring really huge and epic rewards which will make you char really unique. Something like this would keep me in the game for very long time. I want my intelligence to be challenged, no just my agility and quick reactions.
OK, i know these are just dreams. In the currents state of the gaming industry it is impossible to have anything like it. Well, dreaming is free santa

KOTOR had a number of great quests and puzzles, like the trial on Manaan and the Hanoi Tower puzzle in the tombs of Korriban. In fact, there were no kill X number of Y quests. Killing was always a side of being where you weren't wanted and never an object of a quests. I hope Bioware continues that but I doubt it. I beleive that there is already a documented quest to kill X Kor Slugs (hopefully this was just red herring rolled out for the Conventions).

To the initial question. there are three things that will keep me playing:
1) Great community- this almost goes without saying and yet can't be said enough.
2) New content- new places to explore new things to see and do- I am drawn to the blank spaces on the map.
3) Pazaak- seriously I could sit in a cantina and play this for hours. Swoop racing is not my thing but I'm sure people would feel the same way about that.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
KOTOR had a number of great quests and puzzles, like the trial on Manaan and the Hanoi Tower puzzle in the tombs of Korriban. In fact, there were no kill X number of Y quests. Killing was always a side of being where you weren't wanted and never an object of a quests. I hope Bioware continues that but I doubt it. I beleive that there is already a documented quest to kill X Kor Slugs (hopefully this was just red herring rolled out for the Conventions).

To the initial question. there are three things that will keep me playing:
1) Great community- this almost goes without saying and yet can't be said enough.
2) New content- new places to explore new things to see and do- I am drawn to the blank spaces on the map.
3) Pazaak- seriously I could sit in a cantina and play this for hours. Swoop racing is not my thing but I'm sure people would feel the same way about that.
I heard about these kill quest being only "on the run" (you get a pop up of some sorts that hands you a quest to kill x of the mob you just killed) which is less worse than the kind we had before. Well, we'll see...

What's gonna keep me?
The community
The story and content - interesting and challenging (I expect them to be quite busy adding new content)

Pazaak will be a factor too Laughing And all of the little things that will be possible to do. I think there will be a new way of "just hanging around" in TOR with all these "minigames" and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Pacing is big, I won't have as much time as I did to devote to WoW and that's a good thing. Community is also what else will keep me, since I'm a very social creature. I'm often called the wow mafia by my guild mates because I make it a point to know everyone.

The story will keep me going a long time, and I'm sure if the game is actually game wise fun (I'm sure it is) that'll help a bit.
Back to top Go down
Mli

Mli

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Lednik wrote:

mmm brings back memories of Durlag's tower in Baldur's Gate exspantion and Whatchers Keep in Baldur's Gate 2 exspantion

Well the community is important but having something to do that don't require tons of effort and don't get mind numbing after a while... hard to find something like that but puzzles that you can start then leave and comeback to continue when you have time would be great
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Community= Longevity in my experience...

Content comes and goes...but the people/ players / community remains..
Back to top Go down
Mannic

Mannic

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 4:10 am

Besides the quality of the game itself, the #1 thing for me is how good of a guild I end up in. I've quit a couple games in the past not so much because of the game, but because my guilds evaporated or were destroyed by drama. It's depressing, and sometimes I just don't have the stamina to start over again with another guild. This happened to me in Eve and I decided to go it alone for awhile, but it wasn't the same. In WoW also, but I was starting to get tired of WoW anyway.

Beyond that, give me a good, solid end game with some deep and impactful PvP and I'll stick around. If ToR doesn't have at least one of those things, I doubt I'll be around for more than a few months.
Back to top Go down
Mannic

Mannic

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 4:14 am

Incidentally, my ideal game would have a fully buildable, possessable end-game world-- as in where guilds can ally with each other to control PvP zones that are rich with crafting resources, and build fortifications and housing and the like. Where you really feel like you are impacting the game world and where it's possible for players to create their own content in the form of wartime politics.

But since I'm 99.9% sure ToR won't have those things, I'm trying to be realistic in what will keep me around.
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 am

RP+Star Wars=Holy, immortal combination. I I get my Kel'Dor, that is tongue

Other than that (and directly related to it), there is community, and of course a nice, flowing game with fun things to do.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 6:42 am

1. A sense of belonging in game - my character will be able to affect what's going on and have a say in the outcome of the battle between the Republic and the Empire.

2. Quests that contribute to the storyline, the overall goal of the game and to my career.

3. A fundamentally mature like minded community ie, RIG

4. Options - if I don't want to quest today, I'll fly to Alderaan and kick the Empire!

5. Developers that are customer focussed and listen to the community.
Back to top Go down
Abslom-dak

Abslom-dak

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Cairo Jones
Guild: Knights of the Red Tower

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 12:02 am

I'm new to the MMO world, so what will keep me interested is pretty much mirroring the 2 KOTOR games, especially the 1st game. Excellent plot, and missions. Even to expand on the elements of KOTOR 1 with Pazaak and Swoop racing. To immerse myself in a rich and varied world. Where you could have just as much fun tracking down a rare Pazaak card or Swoop bike part, as you can saving the galaxy.

Also, being able to play with a decent group of people who help each other and who don't want to mess up my game experience at every opportunity, or blast obscenities at me.

I do hope it has the feel of the original game, or for me, the experience may be diminished. Hopefully Bioware will expand on what made KOTOR 1 such a magnificent game.
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 9:09 am

Schwendo wrote:

Pretty much this, having your buddies with you enhances the experience far beyond any new content IMO, if there is one thing I really miss about WoW are my online friends (and being able to cannibalize draenei paladins)
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 9:42 am

/hi5 Dre'!!
Back to top Go down
Vhayl Una

Vhayl Una

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Schwendo wrote:

I totally agree, that's why I joined right up here as soon as I saw your philosophy.
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:32 am

What is going to keep you interested?

- I accept that a BioWare game story willl be linear. Outside of story, give me freedom. Have more than one way to accomplish a goal. Don't make me stay exactly 3.04752 meters away from the boss to win that fight. Reach the base through the direct or sneaky route.
- Smart mob AI that doesn't always trigger the same actions and reactions as the other 100 times. Reward thinking and adapting in combat, not memorization of button presses.
- Smart companion AI. Bowdaar may be an undefeated arm-ripping terror, that's nice. But can he figure out how to walk to and through an open door?
- Levelling so slowly that endgame is avoided as long as possible. That's accomplished through pacing and variety so nothing becomes a repetitive rut.
- A good community won't keep me in a bad game for one heartbeat longer, but a bad community can ruin a good game.

Last edited by Stryklone on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Guild: ARES

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 11:38 am

I honestly do not know what will keep me wanting to play TOR.

I have a feeling it will be the community.
In SWG, all I did was geared towards PVP. So as long as PVP is awesome in TOR, I won't be going anywhere.
And since good pvp depends on a decent community... there we go... its community that matters ! Who would have thought Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
Redriot

Redriot

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Draven
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Funny is long as I keep good friends, I can stay I feel till im dead, really mean that. I would of stayed in SWG, if ppl didnt leave the game back in the Pre-cu/SOE era. So Tor really has me so involved in staying for lifetime, I dont plan on another mmo in my lifetime besides this game. Does it sound crazy? I dont think it does, im 34 years old, and seen games come and go, long as this game continues to draw me, and friends are active, and guild is intact, skys the limit. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, friends can get me to subscribe to a game until some point but that's not the major think. For me, the thing that will keep me playing is the gameplay, if the PvP and PvE is nice and really suck me in I will keep playing.

For example, in WoW I kept my subscription because of my friends for several months, but one day I decided to quit it because the game wasn't fun anymore and I had MSN or my cellphone to talk to my friends. ^^
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 12:35 am

I totally agree Red "Quiet" Riot! Smile

We STILL have 30-40 close friends from the SWG 03-05' heydays. We don't all play SWG anymore, but, we cannot wait for TOR! All those knuckleheads (and Coldhart) playing this one, PLUS all the RiG gamers...man, I have a feeling this one is going to be EPIC!

As far as longevity, like I said, community is going to be the glue to hold people in TOR. The RiG community + my Crazy pals= A long and VERY fun game/gaming experience...
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 am

Schwendo wrote:
I totally agree Red "Quiet" Riot! Smile

We STILL have 30-40 close friends from the SWG 03-05' heydays. We don't all play SWG anymore, but, we cannot wait for TOR! All those knuckleheads (and Coldhart) playing this one, PLUS all the RiG gamers...man, I have a feeling this one is going to be EPIC!

As far as longevity, like I said, community is going to be the glue to hold people in TOR. The RiG community + my Crazy pals= A long and VERY fun game/gaming experience...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2J_UZ8lQU
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 2:26 am

I met them at a club we dj'ed at back in 2003. It was before Kevin Dubrow died (the lead singer). He was about 6'5" lol.

Awesome Mongo!! (Ming-da'-Merciless, even!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4

haha!
Back to top Go down
TheJW

TheJW

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Undecided
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Sons of Ziost

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 10:58 am

The absolute most important thing will be the people. That is why I am here. That is why I am a GM.

Second priority is a quality end-game experience, but alts are a completely viable excuse to waive that priority.

Third would have to be quality expansions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sonsofziost.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?   The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Longevity of TOR: What is going to keep you interested?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: General Discussion - Talk about anything SW:TOR-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com