Respect In Gaming

HomeRegisterLog in

Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? Empty
PostSubject: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi guys,

I just thought I would post this, and see what your thoughts were?

I would like to take you back to the main thread on the SW:TOR boards, the one that started all this craziness!! hehe, well that thread believe it or not, has been edited a number of times, and the reason for it, was something I had posted in their had caused someone to read it one way, a way not intended or did not cover something very well, or my point was unclear here or there. It can happen. Smile

Thankfully Sandss Spotted a couple and suggested some changes, and they were great changes which just cleared the thread up a bit, and allowed anyone else coming onto the thread to read the post better. And anyone else who was unsure before, had it cleared up for them, and the conversation simply flowed once more minus the uncertainty.

What I would like from you guys, is to try and do the same where possible. So if say I read your post and say, 'great post bud, but this bit here? <INSERT RANDOM TEXT> what do you mean by this? I don't get it? or it is not in line with the rest of your thread?

The orignal OP, can imply look at that, and think, hmm, they have got a point I really should not make posts at 4am when I have just got in from a nightclub....lol, will just amend it, and make that bit clearer. Pop a message on the thread after stating they have amended it, and off we go. Hopefully any confusion will be cleared up for the person who did not get it the 1st time, and anyone who pops on to read it for the 1st time will also read it and won't even notice.

I hope this is not telling people how to suck eggs so to speak? Smile Just an observation and suggestion on how we can try and keep the more serious threads and discussions on topic and flowing.

I welcome any thoughts or any ideas you all may have as well, as to how we can try and keep a great idea and an otherwise great discussion on track and relevant, and try to avoid any confusion or arguements?

Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:36 pm

I agree fully with this. There's no reason this should cause any problems for us since we're a good bunch of people but it's still easier to follow that way and avoids unnecessary confusion.

Regarding the official RiG post: We have talked about this before in that thread: Maybe we should make it clear we're not exactly trying to recreate an old school community but trying to create a great community inspired by the communities of yore (lol), if you will. Darka coined it pretty well too: Forget about old school, we're gonna make the new school. (or similar)

It just seemed to create some unwanted feelings for some? Now, if you have already changed that accordingly, excuse me - haven't read the opening post in a while Wink

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:45 pm

I have not changed it as yet Grome, but if people feel it would be of benefit, I have no issue with having it changed I really don't.

I know one problem with it though is when I have tried in the past, it does not actually change it on the forum headers only in the actualthread when your in it, meaning from the outside it will still appear as it did before.

I could ask a mod to change it for me though perhaps?

So if people have a suggestion for a change of name I am more than happy to do so. Smile

Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 pm

I meant more like a "clarification" of sorts in the first post? Just suggesting.

Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:50 pm

I agree on the "clarification" thingy.

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm

While we are discussing Thread Management, allow me to throw in an idea.

When we do encounter divergent topics but would like to see them discussed, we can create a new thread about the topic and include a link and say something like "We were discussing another topic (click here) when XYZ came up. My thoughts on XYZ are..." The 'click here' portion would of course link to the previous thread.

It is then possible to edit the post in the original topic to say something like "While related, XYZ is not really the topic of this thread. if you would like to continue discussing it, please click here." The 'click here' portion would of course link to the new thread. This can definitely be edited in if we realize belatedly that a discussion i drifting off-topic.

I suspect it would be possible for Moderators to move entire posts upon request, but I'll let Ty-Odi or Selven speak to that.

Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Grome wrote:
I meant more like a "clarification" of sorts in the first post? Just suggesting.

Ahh ok, gotcha! Smile

Well I can do that no problem at all Smile

Do you have any suggestion for what to say? I will quite happily whip it in to the original thread! Smile

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Aldemarran wrote:
While we are discussing Thread Management, allow me to throw in an idea.

When we do encounter divergent topics but would like to see them discussed, we can create a new thread about the topic and include a link and say something like "We were discussing another topic (click here) when XYZ came up. My thoughts on XYZ are..." The 'click here' portion would of course link to the previous thread.

It is then possible to edit the post in the original topic to say something like "While related, XYZ is not really the topic of this thread. if you would like to continue discussing it, please click here." The 'click here' portion would of course link to the new thread. This can definitely be edited in if we realize belatedly that a discussion i drifting off-topic.

I suspect it would be possible for Moderators to move entire posts upon request, but I'll let Ty-Odi or Selven speak to that.
I agree with you. I have found some of our threads a tad messy because we simply go at it from all possible angles and end up talking about several subjects sometimes. It would then make more sense to break it up and I know for a fact that it is possible to separate posts from a thread and put them into another. If Selv doesn't think she's up to the task, she could appoint a moderator for that purpose. (might go well with the moderator idea in the RIG Senate thread)

Ty: You're probably better at formulating this. However here are the points I personally perceived as important:
We are not trying to recreate what was, but we're inspired by the old school community. Our goal could be best described as what our name is: Respect in Gaming - as "opposed" to an Old school community (which is still the goal, but some have associated that with other things than we do - it has apparently a highly subjective meaning).
Like Darka said: we're sort of trying to create a new school, if you will - in some parts based on the old school.

I don't know, maybe others can come up with more/better things? Unless you feel that nails it.

Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:47 pm

I think I am to blame for some of that, sorry Sad

I think keeping it "on topic" is important, just plz don't take away the "fun" dynamic we have in here. It makaa' me happay Wink

I will work to keep my silly stuff as "on topic" as I can too Wink

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 pm

I don't really think it was you Schwen Smile

It was (initially) about a misunderstanding in the RIG Senate thread I believe.

Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:01 pm

Or was it the Senate thread + RIG Senate + the other one that somebody started.

Or something like that...

O_o

I get all mix up myself.

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Ah, I think that was me too llololol Wink. Oh well, at least we're trying eh'?

Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I was trying to help out the member that posted the other "Senate" topic. I thought it was a "double post", and was trying to steer him towards the main "Senate" thread. Its ok, all in the efforts hehe.

Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:05 pm

No, actually it was yet another matter Schwen Laughing

Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:08 pm

*Lost, as always Wink*

Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Yeah sorry Schwen,

Nothing to do with you buddy Smile

I think my rule of thumb was if it makes me laugh its safe, otherwise keep it on topic where possible lol Smile

I am only on about the more serious threads anyways, you know the ones were we are not taking the micky out of each other, but ones we are looking at direction of things etc. We can still keep them light hearted and the odd joke hurts no one Smile But as Grome mentioned it was the threads which were going off on a complete tangent over something which it never needed too have, I have cleaned up that thread now anyways and it now flows a great deal better and is very much now on topic Smile

Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Gotcha, no worries. Like I said, we're all on the same "sheet o' music" Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?   Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Threads and how we can help keep certain discussions on-topic?
Page 1 of 1