The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!

Go down 
+10
azarhal
Selven
Lanius
Coldhart
Darka
Arzon
Godric_Barbarosa
Grome
Schwendo
Xavier
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Xavier

Xavier

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xavier Dragen
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Zero³

Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! Empty
PostSubject: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 pm

From Darth Hater.

Quote :
Electronic Arts CFO Eric Brown's presentation at the UBS 38th Annual Media and Communications Conference reaffirmed CY2011 for Star Wars: The Old Republic. It was also mentioned that SWTOR "...will generate revenue through monthly subscriptions" while speaking on the subscription model. Speaking on availability of options on purchasing, Eric Brown stated that the game's PC client will be available in both a retail packaged format and digital download format.

Eric Brown's presentation lasted about 40 minutes and is now over. As of this moment this appears to be all of the new information relating to The Old Republic that came out of the presentation.

Credit to Cordo Font from Eternal Vigilance for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks for the "heads up" Xav'! Much appreciated!

Hmm, wonder what the monthly "TOR-Rent" will be?
Back to top Go down
Xavier

Xavier

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Schwendo wrote:
Thanks for the "heads up" Xav'! Much appreciated!

Hmm, wonder what the monthly "TOR-Rent" will be?

They might, might go as high as $19.99/mo, but I doubt it. Many games are having problems getting subs at $14.99/mo. My guess is they'll stick with the industry standard. $14.99/mo with a half month free for a 3 month sub, 1 month free for a 6 month sub, and 2 months free for a 1 year sub. That's what WoW's works out to.

Maybe a lifetime sub too, but I doubt it. You deprive yourself of revenue after two years. And let's face it, the only folks who'll buy lifetime subs, are probably the ones who have already decided to stick with it longer than that anyway. Why throw surefire revenue down the drain?
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Yeah,

That makes sense, coming from a guy who's been padding SOE's bank account in SWG for 7 and a 1/2 years... Sad

The lifetime sub' has intrigue to it, though. You are correct, I think they won't do that based off the, "No $$$ on the back end" part of it, hehe.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 am

Thanks for the info Xavier!

15$ is a good bet I'd say...
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:01 am

Xavier wrote:
Maybe a lifetime sub too, but I doubt it. You deprive yourself of revenue after two years. And let's face it, the only folks who'll buy lifetime subs, are probably the ones who have already decided to stick with it longer than that anyway. Why throw surefire revenue down the drain?

Lifetime subscription screams "We are shipping a game that is so incomplete and buggy that you won't want to stay here two years but we need to get our returns fast" to to many people for it to be a good business model. See STO.
Back to top Go down
Xavier

Xavier

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 am

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
Xavier wrote:

Lifetime subscription screams "We are shipping a game that is so incomplete and buggy that you won't want to stay here two years but we need to get our returns fast" to to many people for it to be a good business model. See STO.

I agree, another example is LoTRO. LoTRO wasn't nearly as awful as STO. In fact, it's a pretty ok game, but they had similar concerns at launch and are now free to play.
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 2:00 am

I'll bet my bottom dollar it'll be $14.99/month with potential 3, 6, or 1-year plans offered at slightly discounted rates.

I think they know the detrimental DOOM speculations that accompany lifetimes subs, so I doubt we'll see that offered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 2:01 am

Not really anything surprising
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 2:42 am

Well, once we get a few months into it, if it really is an awesome game, I'ld pay a lifetime sub. It would have to really be good tho.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 am

At last some info about payment methods.
I like this subscription model, I just hope there aren't any DLCs that we need to pay to download. :\ About the price, it will probably be 13€ for Europe like most MMOs.

I still don't know how I'm going to buy the game. I'd like to have the box but I'll probably just download it.
EA could allow us to Pre-Load the game like they did when Spore was released (Yes, I bought Spore Sad ) to avoid the 100kb/s downloads.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Xavier wrote:
Godric_Barbarosa wrote:

I agree, another example is LoTRO. LoTRO wasn't nearly as awful as STO. In fact, it's a pretty ok game, but they had similar concerns at launch and are now free to play.

To be fair to LotRO, a lifetime subscription does not means that the game is bad, but after the STO experience people will perceive it that way.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Lanius wrote:
At last some info about payment methods.
I like this subscription model, I just hope there aren't any DLCs that we need to pay to download. :\ About the price, it will probably be 13€ for Europe like most MMOs.

I still don't know how I'm going to buy the game. I'd like to have the box but I'll probably just download it.
EA could allow us to Pre-Load the game like they did when Spore was released (Yes, I bought Spore Sad ) to avoid the 100kb/s downloads.

I will probably have to go for the box. Downloading a game this large would be incredibly slow especially with how many people will be trying to download it. Damn you college students with awesome connection speeds.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Nice find! Not very surprising, but nevertheless good to have confirmed. Smile
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
I will probably have to go for the box. Downloading a game this large would be incredibly slow especially with how many people will be trying to download it. Damn you college students with awesome connection speeds.

lol

I'm going with a box as well. Otherwise it will depends where the game is available online...
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Having subs doesn't have to rule out RMT. In fact, the same talk mentions how big MTs are for EA.

Twiddling my thumbs until the full details are out.

Maybe buying the Collector's Edition earns lunch with Ford, Hamill and Fisher ... and maybe not. Smile
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 5:08 pm

It's unlikely though they will have a very extensive MT infrastructure. If anything, it will probably not go further than gameplay irrelevant things.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Grome wrote:
It's unlikely though they will have a very extensive MT infrastructure. If anything, it will probably not go further than gameplay irrelevant things.

I present you with WAR online game store!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm sure EA remembers how successful a project WAR has been. Smile

We'll see..
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Grome wrote:
I'm sure EA remembers how successful a project WAR has been. Smile

We'll see..

Well actually the WAR store is a recent addition, it's like 2 months old and implemented by the new BioWare/Mythic.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 am

Kay, didn't know... did not follow that game at all. Surprised

However that still doesn't imply there will be one for TOR as well (not declining the possibility).
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:42 am

/believe TOR will have a game store

Wait...

Why I'm my acting like a Sith right now?
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 am

They might also be using this as a test run for TOR? Whatever.. Still think if there is an ingame shop it will not be the kind that gives you too many relevant items (if any). Maybe it's wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:48 am

Actually, I think the "test run" for TOR is a good idea, except for the fact that beside server transfer most of the stuff don't really fit with TOR.

and we really moved this thread in the wrong direction!
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!   Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 am

Test run for how it is accepted by people.
Back to top Go down

Monthly Subscriptions and Digital Downloads Confirmed!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next