The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Servers and Allegiances...

Go down 
+24
Grome
Stryklone
Dresgar
Crebain
Coldhart
Aldemarran
ShavedEwok
Redriot
WesleyP.
vlak
Lugaidh
Baelyrn
SandsS
Zepour
Schwendo
Finiffa
Sylrah
Waxxorian
azarhal
Selven
Kai-Sun
Variable
Ty-Odi
Gamewiz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Another thing about being on separate servers is having no mail and no trade. As is being discussed in the other thread, there will be an option (or at least such is being planned) to support trading within The RiG community.

Aurabesh wrote:
If we do not play at the same times there is no need to play on one server...except for those hours in the weekend, maybe.
I played SWG on an US server (Kettemoor) and when the US players came online...i went offline. I was never around for guild events or community events and played solo 90% of my time online, sending mails to ask for advice etc. I do not plan on playing on a US server again due to that experience. Community is what makes or breaks an MMO for me...otherwise i would pop a game into the ole PS3 and play a FPS.

I understand a little bit about that. I've been in a guild where we had a couple of Aussie / NZ types who were just never on when we were. And it absolutely was difficult for them. That said, The RiG is not a guild. I would expect you to join a guild of players in your own timezone. Now, while I've seen many players from around the world play on US servers, I don't know how hard it would be to find a guild in your timezone on a US server. Certainly we are trying to stack many people onto one server, and we are (as of this moment) trying to include people from many timezones on that server.

But there are still a lot of variables left to resolve. For all we know SW:TOR will have an Eve style system where everyone is all in the same world anyway. scratch
Back to top Go down
Aurabesh

Aurabesh

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aurabesh
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 pm

While i do understand all the reasons for this to work i also have to admit in being headstrong (hope its the word as i am not a native English speaker) about not playing on a US server.
However these reasons will only be valid if, and thats a big if, EA/BW decides to locate servers on both the US and EU continents.
I have absolutely no idea how EVE worked regarding servers as i never played EVE.
Don't get me wrong...i am not sceptic about RIG at all...i really love this community...i am just coping with some concerns pale .
I will try to explain my concerns.

Allthough numbers on RIG are still growing we will never manage to populate one server with RIG players solely.
This will mean (according to current numbers):
Assume the RIG community will grow to about 400 players both EU/US.
60% of 400 equals 240 US players and 160 EU players.
Lets say a server holds about 1500 players.
The EU population will only be 160/1500.
On a US server the other 1340 spots will most likely be occupated by US players EU players will hardly connect with.

Wich states my concern...playing on a server with 160 players online at the same time will feel like walking an empty server with all the planets/areas TOR will have.

I am not sure but i doubt i am the only EU player feeling the same about this.
And it may (or may not) be a reason for EU people to keep from joining/supporting our great cause.

Okay...now i really need some cookees...i did math in my free hours Razz

Back to top Go down
Galeg Helross

Galeg Helross

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild: Eternal Vigilance

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Aurabesh wrote:

Allthough numbers on RIG are still growing we will never manage to populate one server with RIG players solely.
On a US server the other 1340 spots will most likely be occupated by US players EU players will hardly connect with.

You have to take into account guilds, not just individual people. One guild alone could bring in 50-100 members.
Back to top Go down
http://evcitadel.com/home/index.php
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Aurabesh wrote:

Wich states my concern...playing on a server with 160 players online at the same time will feel like walking an empty server with all the planets/areas TOR will have.

I am not sure but i doubt i am the only EU player feeling the same about this.
And it may (or may not) be a reason for EU people to keep from joining/supporting our great cause.
I understand your concerns. I can only hope they put a Server live that is tagged "international" (for you, would this solve the matter?). I don't think they will employ EVE's model, as they have already mentioned their servers will have about the population on WoW servers.

I think you have the numbers wrong a bit and potentially we would probably much bigger than that (as Galeg said, we have a couple of guild leaders from big guilds in here but not all their members - we're probably already over 400 if we allow ourselves to count this all).

However, we're not trying to populate a server entirely with RIG members.
But I do agree: You are very probably not the only European that would prefer a EU server in case of US/EU segregation.
The issue of feeling like in a desert game world is a very real one but for the final word we'll have to wait and see a couple of things:
1. How big will the EU part of this community be?
2. How exactly will they split servers?

Until then, of course, nothing can ultimately be decided. I personally favor the "1 server solution", but that's only me and doesn't mean it will be like that.

Aldemarran has listed some benefits of being on one server, so have I. However there are clearly also some disadvantages at this point.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Grome wrote:
I don't think they will employ EVE's model, as they have already mentioned their servers will have about the population on WoW servers.

James Ohlen said similar to WoW servers and 30 000 players. But WoW servers don't hold 30 000 players, so...*shrug*.

Technically, the Hero Engine should support up to 100 000 concurrent players...affraid

Last edited by azarhal on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 8:56 pm

Mmmh, I guess we don't really know what's up then. I hope they announce this sometime soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Matte_Black

Matte_Black

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Some of the most recent videos posted lead me to believe that PvP will only be on Alderaan and perhaps other sepereate planets set aside for open PvP. This might mean RP/non-RP and timezone are all that matters.

Obviously I am biased since I actually live in the timezone but, an east coast US server running on EST will probably be the best at bridging the range between from Europe out to the West Coast.

If this effort works out, the server(s) we choose has an excellent chance of being one of the more populated servers so "off-peak" time shouldn't be as big of a deal.

We'll see how things progress...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servers and Allegiances...
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com