AuthorMessage
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild:

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 7:56 am

I was looking back at my online gaming history, its not very extensive, and I was able to notice a trend when it comes to my interactions with those I play with.

Usually I play solo until I have a much better understanding of the game, then I create my own clan/guild.
I always prefer quality over quantity, so even if we had only 1 new recruit every month I made sure that new member was a good in many ways, supportive, helpful, fun, skilled (a big plus but probably the least important sometimes), etc.

I used to think I always tried to build a big, powerful clan but I never really did so (I always achieved success in our specialty tho), I would always stop until it has a decent amount of good members. At that moment the clan always was directed towards PvP, even if I never really tried I usually attracted people who were good at PvP so our presence in the server was well known, then we would get a lot of new members.

That last part, getting a lot of new members I have noticed it drives me away from the clan, it stops being fun to me when I see a lot of people I don't know, most of the time I try to work around that and get to know the new members by creating an alt, sometimes I take a break from the clan and create yet another alt which no one has knowledge of with the exception of my closest in-game buddies (I do not like to sound elitist but I know the difference between buddy and a friend) but eventually I simply stop, its not like I do not like the game or the people my clan grew up with, its just that for some reason I do not really feel welcome "in my own house"

TL;DR
Maybe I take my clan too seriously, sometimes a clan/guild involves too much drama which is maybe the reason I do not really want to join or create a clan in the SWTOR. In theory tho, the good thing is that thanks to the RiG Community I should be able to participate in group activities as if I was part of a clan. I would not want to take a spot maybe one of your guild members could take tho.

I guess in the end I prefer going solo or be part of a small community over belonging to a huge guild/clan.
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I was making an epic post in reply here, and then I realised that was probably not a good idea. lol

Let me leave you with this, though:
What you've described is a natural flow of "group development".

And by extension: Online Community (life cycle)

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 5:05 pm

We never had that experience...well, at least in SWG with "The Crazies"...The last part is a bummer. We never had a giant "dump" of players to our guild. Also, if someone did not fit in, they usually just left on their own accord. Most of the time, we kept new players...hell, I remember when Cold was a "new player" haha.

The thing that almost destroyed our guild was a real life death of one of the main members. People were VERY sad/depressed over it. Logging in, and seeing the game reminded them of him. We lost alot of guild members from the game. Not from the Crazies..we all stay in touch IRL, just the game that he had played with us...

blur

blur

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Bounty Hunter
Guild: Beskar

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:46 am

I imagine after all that you have essentially answered your own query about yourself when you guess, in the end, you prefer going solo or being part of a small community over belonging to a huge guild/clan.

Maybe the answer is to find a small guild that satisfies your need for a small guild AND means you don't have to be running it, so it's even easier to nip off for a session on an alt, or not turn up everyday?

See, I don't like large guilds myself, although we probably have different interpretations of what large means. I wouldn't like Beskar to grow over 100 members, for example. In our early days (end of 2008, first half of 2009), we used to sit around 70-80 people consistently, and used to think, "Uh oh, 100 is just around the corner..." but the last 1.5 years have been pretty much 40-50 regulars, so I still have a lot of growth come game time.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 1:31 am

I think there might always be ways to get what you want out of the social game. I understand the "boundaries" and "restrictions" you feel some guilds have. The more organized a guild becomes, the more there is of that, arguably. And with it getting bigger, sometimes a feeling of being part of an actual "organization" (where you don't know people) creeps in.

I still think there are ways to be part of a guild without feeling apart from the guild. First of all, there are guilds that are essentially just a gathering of a couple of regulars who enjoy playing and chatting with each other. Sort of a casual guild, if you will.
If you are missing the things a guild usually offers in this (organized raiding, pvp), there is always ways to get in (or co-create) groups to do that with your guild or even separately/individually.
In WoW I used to be part of a raid alliance that was very much spanning various guilds and individuals (having been started by two guilds, one of which I was part, that later disbanded and resulted in me being sort of an individual member of the alliance but still with people from my earlier guild around). It was a very good bunch and we were actually quite successful.
We ended up being the place where everyone went that didn't want to be part of one of the big guilds that did raiding on the server. Of course you still had to apply to get into the raid alliance. This was more or less taking care of your raiding needs with all its advantages, without having to sacrifice the social entourage you preferred.

And I still also think it is possible to be a big guild that still caries a very "close friends" like feel to it. There is a limit of course, nobody has 200 "close friends" but up to somewhere around 50 or so I'd say it's possible (the more people, the harder), while one still has to carefully advance to achieve that and not just pick all the apples on the tree just to get your basket full. You need to know what kind of apples you want and pick the right ones in order to not grow into different directions within the same guild.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Guild:

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, this turned into some fun reading.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2010 5:07 am

I feel ya Dre. Back in WoW when we came back from AoC and started building the guild...we knew we didn't want to become huge. I personally wouldn't want to be in a guild that was so large you can't remember everyone's name and you just become a number. I like to keep it personal and fun. One thing that always happens tho in a slightly larger guild is cliques are developed. Several people become even better friends than with the rest and start doing things together. It doesn't mean that they don't like the rest. They just tend to hang out with who they've grown closer to. Some people like this and some don't. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. It gives you a more relaxed feel...you don't feel like you have to please everyone, just the closer friends you have (If that makes since).

Anyway, back to my story. Once we started recruiting, we knew that at about 35 to 40 players we wanted to cut off recruiting, which we did. But what happened was we couldn't get enough on at the same time to run the 25 man raids on our own, so we started running with another guild that we had befriended. Well before you knew it, people in their guild were getting mad because we were filling spots in our raids with their guys and not everyone from their guild got in on it. This actually caused their guild to split right down the middle and about 20 or so people wanted to join us.

We made the decission to take them in and from then on, it just felt like I was a stranger in my own guild. I started doing the same thing you talked about...making alts with my close friends that others didn't know about just to get away from it all.

Point of the story is IMO don't get so large that you can't keep it personal and fun. I have always valued quality over quantity. And especially with me being GM and leading raids as well, I really got the Sh!# end of the deal.

But if you remain a free agent and we're on the same server, you'll always have plenty of Crazies to run with no matter what!

And that goes out to everyone, guilded or not. If we're on the same server, the Crazies are always around and up for whatever!
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Guild:

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2010 5:35 am

Coldhart wrote:
I like to keep it personal and fun. One thing that always happens tho in a slightly larger guild is cliques are developed. Several people become even better friends than with the rest and start doing things together. It doesn't mean that they don't like the rest. They just tend to hang out with who they've grown closer to.

Yup, me and my 2v2 arena partner were really close in game (not the cuddly kind of close... lol! ) we ran lowbie instances to get a boss mount drop, teamed up to melt faces on BGs, and everything in between, was really cool.

Coldhart wrote:
But if you remain a free agent and we're on the same server, you'll always have plenty of Crazies to run with no matter what!

Thanks dude, I look forward to sharing some laughs and 0% wipes with you and your guild.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2010 5:40 am

Well the laughs are a given. I can't promise about the wipes tho. However, one thing I can promise is, if we do wipe, we'll still be laughing!
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Wipes are what keeps you "grounded" IG lolol

(and they keep my newborns hiney clean, too)

You're absolutely correct, Cold. Anyone ever needs anything IG, we'll be there!! /hi5

Craze heil!! /tmi

Coldhart

Coldhart

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2010 6:25 pm

And if gear detiriorates (spelling) Schwen said he'll pay the repair fees! WOOT!!!
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 12:48 am

I did??....Doh!!!

TheJW

TheJW

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Undecided
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Sons of Ziost

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 4:52 pm

OP, the progression you described seems very familiar. I have left because of being too big, and I have taken over guilds because GMs were quitting for the same reason. Valuable guild management lessons have been learned along the way.

I love going solo as much as anyone; I always just find that I'm helping others so much that I end up being a GM somehow. With this game I'm getting it over with and have a guild set up. You will have an ally and all the help you need from me and my buddies in game. Assuming we are on the same server of course, and I hope we are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sonsofziost.com
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Lol EQ had 80 man raids, want to guess at how big our guilds were?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I just realized... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just realized...   I just realized... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I just realized...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com