The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

outside game mods

Go down 
+5
Dresgar
Aylin
Schwendo
Lanius
Mongo
9 posters

Do you want outside mods for SWtOR?
yes
outside game mods I_vote_lcap7%outside game mods I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
no
outside game mods I_vote_lcap29%outside game mods I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 4 ]
UI only
outside game mods I_vote_lcap64%outside game mods I_vote_rcap
 64% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Recently I saw a topic on the boards about something i feel strongly about. I'll express my opinion below.

Last edited by Mongo on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm

I personally abhor mods after playing EQ and WoW for the last 12 years. From the boss mods to the threat meters to the GS addons they have no place in any game i play.
Back to top Go down
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 pm

I think it depends on the "user friendly"ness of the game.
In WoW it was quite impossible to heal a raid without some addon. If TOR has a good raid interface, then we wont need an addon.
I just don't agree with boss mods, that's like cheating.

Oh and I agree with macros since we are talking about this things. ^^
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Lanius wrote:
I think it depends on the "user friendly"ness of the game.
In WoW it was quite impossible to heal a raid without some addon. If TOR has a good raid interface, then we wont need an addon.
I just don't agree with boss mods, that's like cheating.

Oh and I agree with macros since we are talking about this things. ^^
Yeah the need for mods in wow was because of the crappy interface, but it became required mods to raid to a point where all you did was punch the button when your screen said to, or move out of the fire when your screen said to /facepalm
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 5:00 pm

I never played WoW, Mong', but I heard about the "mod problem". As far as Macros, man, I'da died 1000 times without them! Especially the "saber block" macro!! hehe
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: ARES

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Schwendo wrote:
I never played WoW, Mong', but I heard about the "mod problem". As far as Macros, man, I'da died 1000 times without them! Especially the "saber block" macro!! hehe

Hehe I too had a ton of macros for galaxies, although I never saw the benefit of a saber block macro... could screw you badly against Bounty Hunters for example Smile

Back to the topic though, I am sure TOR will be a very polished game when it launches. So I hope there will be no need for any 3rd party mods. (even SWG did well without them... think that says alot lol).
Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah, PvP it was a liability. But for instance running/PvE it helped out a ton. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Outside mods in PvP are just plain cheating in some games. lol. In WoW they would tell you the enemies cooldowns, the diminishing returns, when you should CC. :\
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Guild: ARES

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Lanius wrote:
Outside mods in PvP are just plain cheating in some games. lol. In WoW they would tell you the enemies cooldowns, the diminishing returns, when you should CC. :\

Well if that's the kind of mods we are talking about ( Never played WoW) then I hope they won't allow em. But I guess some players just need that hand to walk them through a game eh Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 pm

Aylin wrote:
Lanius wrote:

Well if that's the kind of mods we are talking about ( Never played WoW) then I hope they won't allow em. But I guess some players just need that hand to walk them through a game eh Smile

Ye, the problem is that after a while if you don't use it you get raped by the ones who use. So most of the times you really have to "cheat".
In PvE Raiding, if you don't have Threat Meters, Boss Mods, Heal Mods (for healers)... you can't even raid because the raid leaders won't let you. That's the bad side of the addons.
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Guild:

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Mods that tell you what to do are plain stupid, I hated them on WoW.

Mods that modify the way the game looks are the kind of mods I like, for example a new model and stuff like that. My Warrior twink on WoW for example looked like he was wearing the PvP set from lv60, he looked really badass but obviously had no impact on the gameplay because it was purely cosmetic and only I could see him with that armor.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Moding your UI is fine, or such things like atlas that allow you to look at gear is basically harmless.

Things that are borderline because of player usage (Gearscore comes to mind, but it is NOT the only culprit) are really things that mmo games can do without and would be better for it.

Not all mods are good, not all mods are bad.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 3:49 am

Oh sh!#...here we go on mods again >.< lol

I liked using what little mods I did use in WoW. But liking and needing are two very different things. I could do without any mods what so ever TBH. But I guess I would use ui mods and maybe informative mods just for myself if we're able to. Would be nice tho if they don't support outside mods but rather concidered actually giving us something that might tell us a little on our threat...like make the screan flash if we get close to pulling or something. It would also be cool if they implimented an IG windowed type of stat page for us to see our own personal info from a fight or raid. So we don't have to sit there for ten minutes scrolling through all the combat chat to see this info.

Other than that, eh, who needs em.

Note: in our other mods discussion, I don't think I actually said if I wanted them IG or not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:45 pm

I think the people complaining about mods that do too much are missing the point. It isn't that they are doing too much it's that they aren't doing enough. It's that they aren't doing enough! It's not enough that they are telling me what button to push when. They should be pushing the button for me. What if I don't have the reaction time of another player? I'm at a disadvantage!

And SWTOR adds a new dimension. Now I need a mod to tell me what choices to make in conversation. What if I make the wrong choice?

Seriously, I think I made my take on mods clear in the other mod thread but to some it up. I do like UI mods, but I don't like mods, even "informative" mods that remove the uncertainty, and therefore the tension, from the game. I shouldn't have a mod to tell me whether my next attack pulls aggro or not. My personal experience and intelligence should be my guide here. Basically, any mod that becomes a requirement to do certain content is bad because it excludes those who for whatever reason cannot or will not use them.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Well said Wink Me likey!
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 3:59 pm

I agree with what you're saying Godric.

I want to clarify on "my" informative thing tho. I just want to see what kind of damage I did and how many times I missed or how many times I crit and stuff like that. And I don't need to see other's stats on that info. I'ld just like to see mine cuz I like to know if I need a little more crit or a little more hit added to my gear, etc. But TOR may not be so gear dependant so it might not matter to begin with.

I can see all this information by scrolling through the combat log, but it takes forever cuz there's a ton of info there. That's why I was saying it would be nice if they could just give it to us in as IG window or something that I can access easily instead of scrolling and searching for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 4:14 pm

I wasnt aware there was another mod post, my apologies.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:18 am

I voted UI Only, but this is really dependent on two things. First, threat should be visible in the native UI.

Second, UI should include the ability to summarize data scrolling through my chat log (such as Recount in WoW). This second thing is mostly for the same reasons expressed by Coldhart. TBH I like being able to see other people numbers also, but would be content with a "by their consent only" viewing of their combat numbers. My main purpose in seeing other people's numbers is to help me help then when asked, and secondarily to make certain I'm holding up my end of the effort. While I would vote for open summary of the full combat log including other player's numbers, I would be willing to give that up so long as I could see my own numbers (and preferably also be able to share and discuss my numbers with players whom I trust and respect). All that said I doubt a complete denial of all mods would stop me from playing the game, hehe.
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Guild:

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 am

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
And SWTOR adds a new dimension. Now I need a mod to tell me what choices to make in conversation. What if I make the wrong choice?

Good point, buddy. I hope that kind of mod wont exist, but if it does I can always choose not to use it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

outside game mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: outside game mods   outside game mods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

outside game mods
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: General Discussion - Talk about anything SW:TOR-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com