The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....

Go down 
+10
HDubNZ
Quince
Vhayl Una
Selven
azarhal
Zepour
Schwendo
Redriot
Kai-Sun
JedinWaiting
14 posters
AuthorMessage
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... Empty
PostSubject: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 6:29 am

My hope is wavering..../cry. With the end of January coming into view I look at SWTOR and realize that we're still so far from knowing much about how the game is going to work. All of the negative posts that are flooding the SWTOR main forums might just have finally got to me. I don't know. It's depressing when I think about it. I feel like I spent alot of time waiting and researching the game trying to milk every bit of information I can find yet still I don't know THAT much.

I think I know what brought this onset of aggravation. The other day I ran into another MMO I've never heard of before. Curious about it I typed the name into google and bing and such and literally within two hours I was practically ready to pre order the game. I got talent tree builds, classes, skill lists, pvp videos, pve videos, raid information, game mechanic information (attacking from behind, how stats work, +hit mechanics, skill mechanics) I mean EVERYTHING. I felt like I had practically sat down and played the game.

What I found very frustrating was that it only took me two hours to find this information...yet I've spent months and months scouring for interviews, screenshots, videos, leaked information on SWTOR and I don't even have half of the information I have on this other MMO. Now here's the kicker......

This MMO I've been talking about is "anticipated" to be released in March. MARCH. March is the start of spring. Now I'm not saying that SWTOR is going to be release right in March...after all Spring comprises a few months. HOWEVER...how can it be that I was able to find SO much information on this MMO which is also scheduled for a spring release...yet we still no so very little about SWTOR which is also scheduled for a spring release? It baffles me and I think it's begun to infuriate me.

I apologize for posting such a negative thread but I'm desperate I guess. Any wise words from the great people of RIG? Where's our light at the end of the tunnel? When do you guys think those floodgates are going to open? What if after all this time Bioware has left out some key game mechanics that we ASSUMED would be in the game and really isn't? Did we just waste our time researching a game that we won't play.

I am a sad panda.

Help me out here guys. Give me some uplifting advice or information. Anything at this point will do.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 7:25 am

Firstly, regardless if TOR becomes a game we'll all play, we still have the RiG...that will never change. I'm here for fun in TOR and BEYOND.

Secondly, I had a bit of time where I stopped going to the main forums and like a month or two passed and I didn't pay much attention to TOR cept maybe checking a Friday update. Then I found Ty's post and the RiG was made a day or two after and I began my early RiG Spam spree lol.

Taking a break isn't always a bad thing, and I don't really see Bioware loosening their lips for a few more months, then it'll probably be a massive deluge once (or IF) an open beta starts.

Bioware is playing TOR really close to the chest, because I think they REALLY want to get it right, and partly because it's a marketing strategy to drum up hype...intentional or not. I personally don't mind it, but then I've been passing the time with speculation or brain storming and coming up with characters for my writings and RP.

Don't lose hope, we're all here waiting with you!
Back to top Go down
Redriot

Redriot

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Draven
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 8:43 am

I feel like alot of ppl are geting inpatient due to lack of info also, but remember all good things comes to those who wait. Wink
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

Jedin, red,

Great to see you all posting in here again!! RiG is just that, we are all in the "same boat", waiting for the "game of our dreams" to come out. The cool thing is, imagine all of us in the same server organizing a ton of fun player events/PvP/Rp etc....plus the fact that we all have our own guilds to play with...relax all...when this thing drops....we'll all have something to cheer about....I promise you that....Wink
Back to top Go down
Zepour

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 am

I must tip my hat to BW/EA/LA for creating such great hype amongst us gamers. One million registered forum users and countless Facebook/Twitter followers prove that SW:TOR is one of the most anticipated gaming titles in recent years. Yes, they do have one of the most popular IPs to work with and a great game studio to make the game, but they have built the hype by steadily releasing small bits of info on regular basis. It's a great PR move on their part: they slowly grill us into submission, they wear our patience down until we take no more and we start screaming: "Gief the game nau!" At that point, they own our soul and our wallet ... well, at least part of it. It works like Chinese water torture: they chip away at our will until there's no more to chip at, and then they win.

This approach works particulary well in the short and medium terms, but not so much in the long term. At some point, they need to turn the hype into facts or people may burn out. I believe BW/LA have started to release info too soon, and their reveals do not increase in quantity nor in quality as the release date approaches. I understand people's reaction on the official forum: they don't want to be teased ad infinitum, they want piece of the action. I think BW had realised that and started with damage control this week: they released more info through Developer tracker than anybody anticipated (three healing capable classes, another hint at World PvP, at least one more planet etc.) I hope the pace will pick up now, unless the game gets delayed significantly.

I must say I completely understand BW, they do not wish to show us stuff still in development. They want to be sure that their game works, because not matching hype with hard facts might lead to another AoC/Warhammer/FF-XIV type fiasco, and we all know how that ended. Their rule seems to be "Better safe than sorry".

Blizzard have taken a whole new approach lately: they won't have any beta NDAs on some of their games in the future. They obviously have high confidence in their execution, and they will use closed beta testing as PR stunts. They did something similar with Cataclysm closed beta: the NDA was dropped in July, five months before the launch. The downside: when the game launched, everybody knew everything about content. The days of exploration and excitement in WoW are long gone, but that's something for another thread.

Edit: beacuse I can't spell.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Official forum? What official forum?

I stopped going there except for Friday Updates.

And the official Skyrim forums and playing single player games are taking most of my time...

Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Then you don't wait. Just.don't.wait™️.

What I mean is, enjoy all the things you would normally enjoy before you knew about TOR. Add a bit of RiG to the mix and tell yourself you've never heard of SWTOR. We're only here because we're Real Internet Geeks, nothing else! Wink

I think the Company-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-anymore-in-this-post is gonna release a bundle of info at once closer to launch day of the Game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-anymore-in-this-post.

I have faith in them, I really do. Thing is, the more you start to listen to those who want-it-now, the harder it's gonna be. The lack of info that you feel they-shoulda-added-by-now, is not a sign of anything. It's just your anticipation getting the better of you. Stop searching for info - you know you're gonna hear about it when it really drops, right? In the meantime, you probably know as much as anyone that the "info" you get when searching is mostly know-it-alls telling you why they are right and Company-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-anymore-in-this-post is wrong. That's just depressing. I call it the Google Syndrome.

Stay true to what you first felt when hearing about the Game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-anymore-in-this-post. It'll come when you stop waiting. Just like the kettle, you know Smile
Back to top Go down
Vhayl Una

Vhayl Una

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:54 pm

I have to admit I started wading through all the data at TOR and got all hyped up, I mean I want to play NOW! That said it is a bit crushing to me that I have to wait so long to play, so I am trying to figure out how to use my time, although lately my work is taking care of that for me...

I still need to join a guild, I haven't even answered all the fine people who invited me a month ago, I need to flesh out what my character is like a bit more, although that will probably be an ongoing process up till release, also I know a lot of guilds have pre-release meetings and events to keep the community active and involved.

That said I am planning on playing a long time, through all the classes to see the various storylines, and I want Bioware to do a kick ass job. I'm sure there will be disappointments, not everything you may want is in there I'm sure, but since it's an MMO things will probably change for the better over time as they tweak things, but they need to come out strong out of the gate and they know it, so I can forgive the delay.

If anyone needs anything to keep themselves busy so they don't get too down about the release being so far away try and bake some star wars themed cookies for the RIG community. It will help everyone.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Vhayl Una wrote:

If anyone needs anything to keep themselves busy so they don't get too down about the release being so far away try and bake some star wars themed cookies for the RIG community. It will help everyone.

And if you do, I have the perfect address for you to send them to! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 5:32 pm

To me Bioware has really pushed the hype to a frenzy about SW:TOR. I sincerely hope it lives up to expectations. In the mean time, I've set my expectations to a heightened level, but not over the top. I understand people want the game now, I really wouldn't mind if that was the case, but equally I don't want a "Beta" released. Nothing will deflate people more than something being released that's not ready. So I look over what is being released and continue to be active on RIG.

As to a new mmo being released in March, I suspect you're talking about Rift. To me, playing another new mmo does not detract from my interest in playing SW:TOR. If I can enjoy it a lot, so much the better. The conflict arises when SW:TOR is released and you're still interested in the other game. I find it difficult to be immersed in more than one mmo at a time.
Back to top Go down
Redriot

Redriot

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Draven
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Schwendo wrote:
Jedin, red,

Great to see you all posting in here again!! RiG is just that, we are all in the "same boat", waiting for the "game of our dreams" to come out. The cool thing is, imagine all of us in the same server organizing a ton of fun player events/PvP/Rp etc....plus the fact that we all have our own guilds to play with...relax all...when this thing drops....we'll all have something to cheer about....I promise you that....Wink
Thanks big guy, Ive been keeping up on you guys from time to time, and yea I feel once game starts, alot of ppl will be happier. Surprised
Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 am

Quince wrote:
The conflict arises when SW:TOR is released and you're still interested in the other game. I find it difficult to be immersed in more than one mmo at a time.

I completely agree. I've always picked one and stuck to it.

It's not that I'm impatient for the game or anything. I'm just starting to get the feeling that the reason that Bioware is not answering some of the questions they're being asked is because the answer is "no" to that question and they simply want to release the "good" and the "bad" at the same time so to speak. So I think my worries are less about me wanting to play now and more me realizing that the game is supposedly "close" to it's spring release and there's still alot of stuff up in the air. I would, in honesty, rather them push the game back then release it with mechanics missing. I'm just starting to suspect that some of the stuff that I kinda assumed would be in the game (like an optional flagging pvp system, PvP/PvE server to accommodate the mechanic) is not only missing but they're not having any plans for putting it in.

And I even hate to mention that...because that's just one of "the small things". I just realized that there are alot of small things missing here and there. Sure there will be world pvp the devs already confirmed that....that is "world pvp in certain areas and planets." But I want the option to ride my swoop bike into a jedi temple and get destroyed by the guards and players inside. Like I said it's just one of the small things. This is an old pvp video (a crappy one) from my paladin in WoW. I linked to the only part that matters. But this is the kind of freedom I want in an MMO I'm playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bENwjl6rlSI#t=5m56s

Much like riding a swoop bike into a jedi temple this is me riding my horse into the main alliance city and doing a little pvp inside the opposing factions city for the lolz. And it's simple stuff like that that I've always had the most fun with. And now I'm ranting.

Anyway....TLDR version: I'm not impatient with SWTOR. I'm simply starting to realize that the utter truth that chances are mechanics that I EXPECT to be in the next MMO I'm playing may not be included in TOR. Not just the one I mentioned above. But ya...sorry about the rant. It does make me happy to be able to read everyone's responses though. And my apologies again about me so negative.

I guess I just keep thinking how much it would suck if TOR didn't turn out the way that I expected and I didn't enjoy it that it would really suck because I felt like I found a large group of like minded people here on RIG. And I always assumed that even if we weren't all on the same server I'd have the privilege of playing with some of you. But I kinda feel like if the game turns me off because of some mechanics they're not putting into the game I'm kinda being robbed of that privilege even though I know that I've met some great people here. Anywho it's getting late and I'll wind down this rant again. Thanks everyone for reading and adding some positive feedback to balance me out!

And again I appreciate everyone's responses!

Schwendo wrote:
Jedin, red,

Great to see you all posting in here again!!

I feel like I've been missed!
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 8:52 am

Patience is of the light side. Impatience and despair. The dark side are they.

And DO.NOT.EVER pay attention to what anyone in major game fora say. Except RIG

Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Hey Jedin, I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately this is an IP and a medium (MMORPG) that people are so passionate about and every body has an idea of what should and what should not be in the game. There is no way Bioware can meet everybodies' desires, for one thing they are often conflicting. I for one am a little disappointed in a number of decisions Bioware has made, However, known of there design decisions are so egregious that I'm not still very excited for this game.

The reseaon it seems like the game that is being released in March has so much more information released, such as talent trees, is that it is due out in a month and a half. SWTOR still has in the neighborhood of five months before release (and that is if it isn't delayed). Bioware is still tweeking the trees and working on class balance. They even admitted the recently added healing to a third class based on testing feedback. So there is still time. If the other game we are talking about is Rift, even they had only 6 of eight souls officially released for each calling last time I checked. The others however may have been leaked because they were available in Beta testing.

I guess what I'm saying is two things. 1) Yes Bioware has probably made some design decisions with which you disagree. You will have to decide for yourself if any are so egregious that you won't be playing the game even with the wonderful people you have met here. 2) There is still plenty of time for the useful information deluge which usually only happens the last couple of months before release. I use the term useful because they could release all sorts of information about the game at any time but it's not useful unless they are sure the information is accurate and not significantly likely to significantly change before the game.

They could release the sniper talent tree with that super awesome ability that makes the sniper OP and get everyone excited about the sniper but that's not useful because it will surely get nerfed because it isn't balanced. Then they would have to deal with all the nerd rage from the build of the month club.
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Give my me Kel'Dor, and I'll convince at least ten people to buy the game. You could be one of them ;3

BOWDAAR... PUUUUNCH!
Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 am

Horeon wrote:
BOWDAAR... PUUUUNCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyNJWS_Y-CM
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 2:59 am

JedinWaiting wrote:
Horeon wrote:
BOWDAAR... PUUUUNCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyNJWS_Y-CM

I know man, I was referencing your video :p
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 pm

If the planned release date isn't revealed by the end of February, then a Spring 2011 release will have to be Australian spring.

The track record for any online game is to be either (a) late, or (b) unfinished. Which one TOR will be is in the hands of the guys signing checks for BioWare expenses.

Let's just wait and see. In the long run the only points which matter will be how do we pay and how does it play.

In the meantime there's the long-running Real Life Massively Multiplayer called "Earth Human." The graphics and sound are incredibly realistic ... yet the whole thing is one long permadeath grind and there's no Ignore button.

Back to top Go down
Zepour

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Stryklone wrote:
In the meantime there's the long-running Real Life Massively Multiplayer called "Earth Human." The graphics and sound are incredibly realistic ... yet the whole thing is one long permadeath grind and there's no Ignore button.
Hehe, agreed. And the character creation process is quite ... interesting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Zepour wrote:

Hehe, agreed. And the character creation process is quite ... interesting. Smile

Yeah, it kinda sucks that you don't get to choose very much yourself though :/ They kinda just through you in.
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 am

Horeon wrote:
Zepour wrote:

Yeah, it kinda sucks that you don't get to choose very much yourself though :/ They kinda just through you in.

No kidding, I wanted my hands to resemble the facehuggers from Alien so I have an easier time playing my guitar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....   It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's happening...I didn't think it would....but it is....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com