The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Books you'd like to see become a game?

Go down 
+8
Ivyrane
Mongo
Calvillanous
Godric_Barbarosa
azarhal
Zepour
Aylin
Kai-Sun
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Books you'd like to see become a game? Empty
PostSubject: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 2:55 am

Are there any series of books you'd like to see become a game? Single player/Mutliplayer or MMO?

I hear Red Eagle Entertainment is making a Wheel of Time MMO, and I'm somewhat excited even if the gameplay sucks.

Got me thinking, is there anything you'd like to be made into a game, and what genre of game would you like to see it as?
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: ARES

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 am

Actually yes... the first 4 of Anne Rice's vampire chronicles... but I think there's a whitewolf MMO in the making, so that covers that lol.

And the guitarist in me dreams about a historical blues game, doesn't have to be an MMO... where you have to plug in your instrument and jam with all the great artists as you make your way up from Mississippi to Chicago...
(First person to mention guitar hero gets NO COOKIES for at least a week Razz )

Oh yeah and, since I'm a huge Star Wars fan, that would be an awesome MMO!! Just imagine if some company like Bioware would do that... since STORY in their games is always great.. man that'd be THE killer MMO!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
Zepour

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 am

The first six books of the Robot city series by various authors as single player sci-fi RPG.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson as single player adventure game.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin as high-fantasy MMORPG.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Aylin wrote:
Actually yes... the first 4 of Anne Rice's vampire chronicles... but I think there's a whitewolf MMO in the making, so that covers that lol.

Oh yeah and, since I'm a huge Star Wars fan, that would be an awesome MMO!! Just imagine if some company like Bioware would do that... since STORY in their games is always great.. man that'd be THE killer MMO!! Wink

Actually, yeah, someone is making a World of Darkness MMO. I remember seeing a trailer, so you can probably find it somewhere on the net.

And yeah, I mean, wouldn't it be cool if Bioware did make an MMO? Books you'd like to see become a game? 373254
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Actually, yeah, someone is making a World of Darkness MMO. I remember seeing a trailer, so you can probably find it somewhere on the net.

The "someone" is CCP, the creator of EvE online...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:33 pm

azarhal wrote:

The "someone" is CCP, the creator of EvE online...

Yea was going to look it up but wanted to get a few other things done before I have to run off to work here in like 10 minutes.

I didn't think White Wolf was really around anymore, so I wasn't sure who exactly was doing the MMO. Or if I can really care at this point, unless it has the Werewolves in it...but they're kind of retarded OP within the genre.

Last edited by Kai-Sun on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Aylin wrote:

Along those lines, I always thought The Three Kingdoms would make an excellent game or franchise of games. (Ironically I've never played them.) I don't know if The Outlaws on the Marsh by the same author was ever made into a game of it's own but Bioware did use elements of it in Jade Empire, he Black Whirlwind and the Cannibal Inn.
Back to top Go down
Calvillanous

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Eric Van Lustbader's "Nicholas Linear" "Ninja series

Dragonlance novels in an MMO format

Mathew Reiley's (badly mis-spelled his name) Scarecrow series
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 pm

I would like to see The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison (?) I think that was the author anyways lol
Back to top Go down
Ivyrane

Ivyrane

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Calvillanous wrote:

This. bounce

Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:

Along those lines, I always thought The Three Kingdoms would make an excellent game or franchise of games. (Ironically I've never played them.) I don't know if The Outlaws on the Marsh by the same author was ever made into a game of it's own but Bioware did use elements of it in Jade Empire, he Black Whirlwind and the Cannibal Inn.

Jade Empire was actually something I wish we would see more of, I thought it was a really great game and I just loved the visuals/setting. Just thinking of what Bioware could do with that with how they make their games now, if they either made a sequel or just another game set in something similar.

Calvillanous wrote:

Yea, agree with you and Ivy, would be neat. Only read a few of the novels though.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Jade Empire was actually something I wish we would see more of, I thought it was a really great game and I just loved the visuals/setting. Just thinking of what Bioware could do with that with how they make their games now, if they either made a sequel or just another game set in something similar.

Loved the visuals/setting of that game. I'm one of the few who liked the character progression too. The combat was a little repetitive, however. The story line, on the other hand, was the best of any game I've ever played. I remember getting to the twist, after playing the length of KOTOR and having to stop for a while because I was like "He efing killed me! That bastard!" I was even more shocked with the twist than in KOTOR but it made sense with what we what we knew. Truly the great story telling I love from Bioware.
Back to top Go down
Quince

Quince

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Qint B'san
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm

The "Well of Souls" or "Soul Rider" series by Jack Chalker would definitely be interesting in game form. How about Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld"? I always thought that a mmo version of "Dune" would be amazing if done right. How about Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" OR Frederick Pohl's "Time Patrol" series? Lots of good choices...
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 am

I just finished book 1 of Scott Westerfield's Leviatan trilogy, and I have to say that would be a really interesting world to play around in. I think it strange, but I'm not sure why we don't see more games in the steampunk genre.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 am

This ones a bit "off" as far as novels are concerned. They did make some though (plus some nice Dark Horse comics back in the 90's)...

The "Alien(s) MMO"...

I know the movies were "hit and miss (and miss)", but the timeline/plot/faction possibilites are just plain wicked...(anyone for the "Predators" faction expansion??)..I would have to play a Space Marine 1000%...that would rawk..
*leghumps Vasquez* "Lets Rock!"
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Not really a book, but Tron is kind of begging to be made into an MMO. The setting and ideas behind it are just ripe for people to actually look more in depth then what the movies show.

And who doesn't want more Jeff Bridges? Razz

Variable wrote:
I just finished book 1 of Scott Westerfield's Leviatan trilogy, and I have to say that would be a really interesting world to play around in. I think it strange, but I'm not sure why we don't see more games in the steampunk genre.

I can't even remember the name of the last steampunk game I played, but I do remember it was an RPG. It just doesn't seem as popular these days.

Schwendo wrote:
This ones a bit "off" as far as novels are concerned. They did make some though (plus some nice Dark Horse comics back in the 90's)...

The "Alien(s) MMO"...

I know the movies were "hit and miss (and miss)", but the timeline/plot/faction possibilites are just plain wicked...(anyone for the "Predators" faction expansion??)..I would have to play a Space Marine 1000%...that would rawk..
*leghumps Vasquez* "Lets Rock!"

GAME OVER MAN, Game over!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Though a film, personally I would love to see Avatar as an MMO......designed for the highest possible spec P.C.s around, I could not care less if it elimanated people with redundant and way past overdue needs for upgrading, so long as I could run around that world.......

Just kidding, though that would be Epic, I just don't think we will ever see something that visually stunning as an MMO, not with the lower spec requirement sadly.

As for a book? hmmm.....I don't actually read much on the way of fantasy, more a Historical fiction kinda guy, but.....even though this was tried and seems to have died? I always thought Stargate had the potential to be a pretty awesome MMO, such a shame they ran out of funding really, that game had oodles of potential if you ask me.

The thing is, for me, its not so much which books would make great MMO's, but some which have already been done, only not very well would make potentially great MMO's if done better, and differently?

Age of Conan? Should have been amazing. Failed. Not enough content. (Though loved the combat system have to say)
LOTRO? Would have been amazing beyond belief if you could have started on either side of the War, who here did not want a Urikai as their main??? As soon as i heard about that game, it was all i wanted to play, when i found out you are all pretty much on the side of good...meh, lost interest.
SWG? Great idea, some lovely features, lacking polish, timeline and above all content.

Just 3 games I would love to see made again, but this time made properly. More content, more options.

But my biggest dream for a future MMO?

Don't care what its about in all honesty though something like Mass Effect would be awesome! A proper TPS/FPS combat styled MMO, none of this point and click then blast buttons to oblivion, but actually a need to aim, and fire! (Yes I am aware some exist but they all suck, made cheaply and poorly. You need someone like Blizzard or BioWare to make this happen properly sadly) Fill it with SW:TOR type story and voice overs and so on, pack it with BattleFront style combat zones, JTL style space combat......

Yes.....please....one....day......Lol Smile

Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Ty-Odi wrote:

more a Historical fiction kinda guy,

Did you know, in my book store, Historical Fiction = Romance novels? lol (Warehouse tags them oddly, for some reason)

Ty-Odi wrote:

But my biggest dream for a future MMO?

Don't care what its about in all honesty though something like Mass Effect would be awesome! A proper TPS/FPS combat styled MMO,

Actually, Blizzard is working on a new MMO and it's said to be a FPS esque project, called Titan currently (Titan being a development name, and possibly not final product name.)
Back to top Go down
Calvillanous

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:48 pm

I could care less about any type of FPS MMO or FPS game for that matter untill they fix one thing ...

A device that I can hold in my hand or hands <like a pistol or rifle> & move the crosshairs around on the screen without lag. I'm tired of some little kid (or anyone else, lol) kicking my ass because my controller or mouse abilities are below average. I qualified as an expert marksman in the military many times with almost every weapon type I picked up. I get super frustrated when I get owned by players when I know I'm better then almost all of them if it were for real.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 6:02 am

Preach on brother Cal! I was high expert on the M-16A2 in the service, and Astronomically high expert on the Beretta 9MM. It is frustrating that a kid with a fruit roll up in one hand, and a juicy juice drinkbox in the other can still shoot me from 1000m away with a damned sniper rifle! You know he was'nt doing his B.R.A.S.S! (for you unlearned non-military types...its (B)reath (R)elax (A)im (S)top-breathing (S)queeze...and it does work!)

Kai! Hilarious on the Hudson reference. One of my all-time favorite movies.

Another MMO idea that is off on a tangient. Then again 1000 novels have been written about this next one...

WWII MMORPG...

Not just a FPS, but much much more. Country factions, Ships/Planes/Tanks/Imfantry (all controllable in real time). The coolest would be actual server territory control. Say you are fighting with Montgomery for El Alamain in North Africa, when suddenly your pal needs you to help him defend Stalingrad!...If you could harness a fast paced, beautifully graphic'd combat interface, imagine the possibilities...(and no, BF1942 was nowhere near what I can imagine on this, hehe)
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Schwendo wrote:
Preach on brother Cal! I was high expert on the M-16A2 in the service, and Astronomically high expert on the Beretta 9MM. It is frustrating that a kid with a fruit roll up in one hand, and a juicy juice drinkbox in the other can still shoot me from 1000m away with a damned sniper rifle! You know he was'nt doing his B.R.A.S.S! (for you unlearned non-military types...its (B)reath (R)elax (A)im (S)top-breathing (S)queeze...and it does work!)

Kai! Hilarious on the Hudson reference. One of my all-time favorite movies.

Another MMO idea that is off on a tangient. Then again 1000 novels have been written about this next one...

WWII MMORPG...

Not just a FPS, but much much more. Country factions, Ships/Planes/Tanks/Imfantry (all controllable in real time). The coolest would be actual server territory control. Say you are fighting with Montgomery for El Alamain in North Africa, when suddenly your pal needs you to help him defend Stalingrad!...If you could harness a fast paced, beautifully graphic'd combat interface, imagine the possibilities...(and no, BF1942 was nowhere near what I can imagine on this, hehe)

Yea kinda miss the older battlefield series, wasn't so bad (woo for bullet drop due to gravity and wind resistance lol)

As for a World War II MMO, I think most people skirt around it due to some of the political themes and well..the Holocaust.

Could probably be done, but they've have to be very good at it. I know people have played as the Krauts before in some FPS, but you never stay as that vantage point for long nor is it as immersive as an MMO would be.

May not even be an issue depending on how they'd develop the game, so that could all be moot, but I'd really enjoy one. It'd be fun! Think there'd be a severe faction imbalance though lol.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm

I think you could fill servers up as far as..."Ok the US is full...Ok Germany is full...only one you can play is the Russkies or the Japanese (no offense) Wink"

I think a "Risk...meets Axis & Allies...meets Call of Duty 1...meets an awesome air/sea graphical gameplay" would be incredible.....imagine strategy AND playability..

I hear ya on the political stuff though. I would dull down the flag images and pump up the uniforms/vehicles/planes/ships from each country...

Oh well, maybe one day. I would definitely play that one though. (as most of you know, I'm an absolute history nut)
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Schwendo wrote:
I
Oh well, maybe one day. I would definitely play that one though. (as most of you know, I'm an absolute history nut)

You had me at Tora Tora Tora.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books you'd like to see become a game?   Books you'd like to see become a game? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books you'd like to see become a game?
Page 1 of 1