The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG

Go down 
+2
Aldemarran
SandsS
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Odium

Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG Empty
PostSubject: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 pm

We need a simple logo/symbol (RiG as text is actually pretty good), a slogan or a kind of rallying cry (I look forward to seeing these suggestions), and we need to focus on what we're going to do in the three weeks before launch to grow this community.

Yes I'm still around, I've just been a little busy handling my real life and some new initiatives on behalf of my guild. I'd love to see some of the active RiG'ers discussing and coming up with a plan of action to spread the word to as many people as possible on TOR launch day.

Unfortunately I have no experience whatsoever in marketing.

Ty, how's that domain name coming? Have we made any progress on a kind of "portal" that then links to these forums? It'd be nice to get someone to help on that front, too. I manifestly fail at graphics and website design. My guildies, obviously, do not -- and they work very hard.

I'd like some of the other posters to join me in brainstorming some short- and long-term goals for how we can keep people 1. interested, 2. informed, and 3. active in the RiG and in furthering its mission.

Sound like good pillars? Interested. Informed. Active.

What can we do today? Brainstorm.
What can we do tomorrow?
What can we do this week?
What can we do in a month?

I feel like goal-setting and planning is one of the most important parts of the project while we're still pre-launch.

---

Something I do in my guild is have a "question of the week" topic that I ask interested parties to answer. It's a way of getting to know the guildies and it makes our frontpage a little beefier and a more engaging read.

I like what Ty did with his sneaky!topic earlier. Could we do something like this once a week and encourage all the active RiG forum posters to contribute to the discussion? I don't mind being the instigator now and again.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 am

SandsS wrote:
We need a simple logo/symbol (RiG as text is actually pretty good), a slogan or a kind of rallying cry (I look forward to seeing these suggestions)...

(The rest of your post is important! I just don't have any replies at this moment.)

To kick this discussion off, the "catch phrase" I use in my official forum signature is "Do you want to RiG your gaming community?" What else do people have?

EDIT: For grammarlessness.

Last edited by Aldemarran on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:26 am

Nice post SandsS! Smile

And yeah, for sure i think we need to crank things up once more Smile

I know for me, the delay in news on launch, has kind of put things on a back burner for a few people, a lot of people are no longer as active as perhaps they once were, and posting has sadly hit a slight barrier, as well in all honesty right now, there is very little new info, or news to discuss, and I know that in a couple of guilds they are having similar issues, but I am also very confident that in time, once we have a more definitive date on either open beta or launch things will likely very quickly crank but up again? Smile

As for the questions to me, domain name? I am looking at it, and have found one or two, my biggest concern with doing it, and so on is the lack of a definitive direction in which to go with it after I do?

Do we keep it as merely a forum, where we come over to say hi? And then let each other know what we are doing in game and so on? Do we make a kind of fansite? In which case I would very much need some volunteers and people to come on board with that, people who know web design, video editing, can write articles and blogs, and so on. Its limitless in many regards, and for an actual fansite, I have a million and one ideas, lol, but its not something I can do by myself, for all my expertise in actual software testing, I have very little in its actual functionality and usage, lol. I can break anything, and figure out the route cause of the issue, but ask me to make something?.....hahaha. (Hence why Selven is so awesome, and why she is the big boss lady of the forums!!! Smile hehe)

Anyhooooo.

What can we do today?

Brainstorm. Pretty much spot on, I would also love to see a thread posted like you mentioned which discussed some of the values and ideas we are trying to promote here on the rig, but we also need to be careful not to make it another, come to the RiG site and sign up thread, as well, we know it will likely be moved again. One other thing I think we could all do, so long as your ok with it, and so is your guild, is for as many of us as possible to add a link and reference to the RiG boards to their signitures on the main SW:TOR boards, I need to amend my sig too, as I think it only has a reference to the original thread in it at present? So I will try to sort that out today as well. Its a little thing, but by adding it, an by others doing so, there is always that chance that people will click on that link and take a look around? Smile

What can we do tomorrow?

Get the new thread that is posted up and running properly with some decent discussion ongoing, now I have my iphone log on to the main boards sorted out, it means I can keep posting on any thread created even on a weekend now when I am not at home, which is always a bonus! Smile

Begin making some plans for a fansite, should we decide that this is something we would like to do? Get some people in place, those who have those artistic talents that us mere mortals do not possess hehe, and try to get some ideas and designs out there to have a look at? I am more than willing to pay for a new site, and for it to be hosted, so fear not, the only stumbling block so far has in fact been a lack of direction to go with it so far, and having people on board who would not only like to help with something like this, but also be willing to step up, and take some responsibilities in leading this new site and direction. I want these forums to remain as they are, I thin they perform their function superbly, a fansite would be little more than a showpiece if you will, a chance for us to put out videos of events we have run, write up posts on them, and other upcoming events and so on, a chance for community minded people to come along too, see whats going on, what we are doing etc.

What can we do this week?

Well this largely depends on the previous. But as for other things, so far, this one is tricky, we just don't have much else going on right now? Another reason I think an actual fansite could be pretty sweet, it would give us all something to play with, take a look at, and discuss before launch?

What can we do in a month?

Well, fingers crossed, by next month, we could have another active part 2 or 3 thread on the main boards, and hopefully have attracted a number of other individuals and guilds to our cause Smile

It would also be nice if by a months time we have a fansite which is there or there abouts, and open to the general public to get a look at. Smile

Anyways, these are just some of my thoughts at the moment. I am sure there are other things we could all be doing, and everyone on here needs to remember this is their site, this is their idea, and their community, to quote Darka's mantra. "Community does not build itself, it will require everyone to pull their weight and contribute"

What we are trying to do here, is not an easy thing to pull off. We have made an amazing start on that journey, but to reach our goal, we all need to pull together, and do our bit. Some will have skills in some areas others don't, and those that do need to come to the fore, whilst the rest of us find our own little niche's and roles to play. I know for me, I want the events and so on that will come once we launch, and plan to be extremely active i that department, I am also more than happy to write a billion and one articles if need be, as you all know, 'Wall of Text' is not something that is too uncommon when I write something! haha Smile

But as I have stated, this is everyones site, and everyones idea, and as such, it is not about what I want from this, but what you all do? Even if you don't have a specific idea as to where to go, if you can add to any that are posted please do so, lets really do some thinking, and thankyou SandsS for this post, I was scarily planning on doing one similar to this the other day, but work got in the way, lol Smile

Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I think the way you build up community is by facilitating and supporting what people are naturally good at. As an example, in Reign, we started to get several members who where really great at designing signature graphics. I am no good at this type of graphic design, but I am rather handy with the written word. As such, I opened my services to the guild for help with backstories and RP-natured projects and helped the guild to flourish in that area. Taking a cue from me and others, another member who is in amazing shape in RL, started a Biggest Loser - Reign Addition competition, and now several of our members are working toward a healthier lifestyle. Most recently, yet another member has taken it upon himself to do weekly guild member interviews that are wildly hilarious and give us further insight into our guild family. I looked forward to today's guild member interview far more than I did the SWTOR info release.

All of these little services we provide to each other have built upon one another to create one of the best guild experiences I've ever been apart of, and that's before any of us ever logon to the game. I see something like this working for RiG as well. Some folks will come to contribute, and others will come to reap the benefits of those donating their time, but either way, we are building community. I'm all for the fansite idea, and would humbly offer any writing assistance needed, but I would suggest whatever community site we stand up give back to the overall community in more tangible ways (sig making, backstory assistance, video creation contests, et al) as well as in providing the great community experience we're all looking for.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 am

It would really help recruitment, but I love the member interview idea!
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 am

Have a 5th Pillar as the symbol holding up the two faction logos split in two merged into one
Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Odium

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Darka wrote:
Have a 5th Pillar as the symbol holding up the two faction logos split in two merged into one

I really like this idea. Heeeee! If someone (maybe some of those talented graphic artists?) could work on a kind of stylized image that would be pretty fun to use.

How would we make it a "fifth" pillar if it's the only column in the image? >_>;

Also I saw your "guilded cantina" thread, Darka -- again another good idea. I'm not sure if Odium will participate or not. It may depend on whether or not Gaiutus accepts one of my PM'd standard questions. It's at least a good gesture for that forum.

So -- what I'm seeing here is maybe we need a "project" thread to discuss where we're going with the RiG forums and how we'd like to get there, a little at a time. I read something in a press release earlier about BioWare not wanting to support fansites (i.e. with Twitter or links or w/e) that took "any kind of money from anyone" ... including donations. I'm not sure what the cheap option is, but I don't believe it'd be fair for one person to shoulder the financial burden, either.

I really need to find that link.

I'm also getting the idea that we should combine our efforts to publicize the RiG with the big BioWare info reveals, when enthusiasm is at its highest and we'll have the most impact. Sound correct?

I can see the wisdom in taking this approach because we won't as fully saturate the "market" for our message and we'll be able to appeal to them when they're already interested in TOR. Rather than having separate "question of the week" threads sponsored by the RiG, do you guys think it would be more wise to "response bomb" (hah) active threads that are already in the general forum?

We can move in like locusts that spread happiness and community feeling. Smile
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 am

I think one of the biggest ways we can support our idea at this point is to do what Ty did this morning and throw support into threads about finding / creating good communities. We've gotten at least one new Rigger out of it so far, and as we all know, every little single person not only helps us, but helps that person as well. I'll do what I can (precious little really, given my time constraints right now) to keep an eye on the official forums. Hopefully a few of you will be able to do more! Thanks again, Ty Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG 958440
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 am

no worries Alde! Smile

I have been doing it a fair bit of late Smile

But yeah, the more of you who can throw support into these as well the better really, there are still sooooo many people out there in that thread alone who are not on here, but are looking for something like this.

if we all try, and keep our efforts up, we can reach out to these people!! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG   Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning a pre-launch and post-launch "media blitz" for the RiG
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com