The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RP Forum Input Requested!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

RP Forum Input Requested! Empty
PostSubject: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 am

The Question:
With the new RP forum architecture should there be any restrictions on access? Should people be required to be on these forums for a certain length of time? Should they need to have made a certain number of posts? Should they have a "sponsor" from within the RiG community? Should they be required to share a story with the RiG before being given access? Should some of these forums be more/less restricted than others? Should they be required to request access to the RP Forums? Can you think of any other objective criteria that might be used?

Background:
I have been, with much help, developing a new forum architecture to help the community here. You can read more here. We have begun discussing what degree of restriction (if any) we would like placed on access to the RP forums and it occurred to me that input from RPers would probably be a good thing Razz

The structure you have coming at this time is:
  • RP & Lore Forums = "The place for RP Help, Planning and Discussion, with sub-forums for RP and Lore"
    • Star Wars Lore Discussion = "The place for discussion of Lore. Spoiler Alert!"
    • Character Backgrounds = "The place for your character's background and biographical information."
    • Open RP = "The place to run open forum RP sessions."
    • Fan Stories = "The place for your character's continuing saga and other fan stories."

The concept of restrictions are requirements for access are also being discussed for the Trade Forum currently in development. You can read more about the possible Trade Forum restrictions starting on page 3 of this thread.

Pros and Cons of Restrictions (as I see them):
PRO:
There will undoubtedly be people who try to disrupt not only the RiG community in general, but the RP specifically. I've seen it quite a bit on days when PvP and PvE servers were down in WoW. For awhile it appeared to be considered quite the cool thing to do. I definitely expect it to happen here, sooner or later.

CON:
Some have argued (and I personally tend to agree) that RPers are already rather elitist. Certainly RPers tend to be a rather closed group. But if you want to expand awareness of RP and gather new RPers into the game then you have to both allow and encourage participation.

PRO:
Conversely I believe this elitism and defensiveness stems from the nearly constant assault on RP. As it stands now RPers are very defensive about whom they allow to even know about their RP. Worse, many people who are simply new to RP get turned off because in trying to learn to RP they offend someone and get excluded or even ranted at. Perhaps having a "safe haven" for RP would help people relax and just enjoy the experience?

For Myself:
I'm not much of a "social RPer". I have some back-story in my head for every character I've ever played seriously. In Bioware games I maintain some sort of motivational concept which I allow to drive my choices in-game. But, being the overly analytic engineering sort that I am, I just don't deal as well with free-form, interactive, go-with-the-flow RP. On that note I might mention that there was this one time (in band camp) when I actually honestly thought I might be over-thinking things. But on 13th thought, nahhhh...

So what I'm getting at is that I would really like to hear from the social RPers in the community on this topic.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 am

The Question:
With the new RP forum architecture should there be any restrictions on access? Should people be required to be on these forums for a certain length of time? Should they need to have made a certain number of posts? Should they have a "sponsor" from within the RiG community? Should they be required to share a story with the RiG before being given access? Should some of these forums be more/less restricted than others? Should they be required to request access to the RP Forums? Can you think of any other objective criteria that might be used?

For me I am going to say no. Though the concerns are valid, and I would fully expect to see such things on the main SW:TOR boards, I personally don't think we will have any of those issues on here. If we do? We then we can look at it, but for now, no, I honestly don't want to start implimenting restrictions and putting up blockades to people without good reason. The whole purpose of this site and this community is to be as open and fair as possible.

The basic mandate of course is that of, treat others as you would wish to be treated. I know for me, I would not really want to walk into a supposed community site to find myself excluded from a chunk of it until I have undertaken so many requirements. Yes off course, if this begins to be abused, and if we end up with some bored nob heads who want to just come on here and cause problems then we need to react to that and begin to rethink.

I know I intend to increase the number of moderators and admins for the site as we get closer to launch. And I am very much hoping that this will be enough. If we see a trouble maker we simply sort them out. Anyways, I really am hoping this won't even begin to be an issue really Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 am

It's not really my place to say anything, but logically speaking I see no incentive on here for this to happen. Assuming people who generally go to these forums are decent, I don't think specifically the RP forums will attract a bad crowd. Of course, I could be wrong.

Ty seems to make good points so just read his post instead Razz
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 pm

I am against restricting the RP forums. We want to be as open and welcoming a community as possible. I don't think these forums should attracted as much griefing as the official forums. I'd say deal with each griefing incident on a case by case basis. Report griefing to the moderators. First offense would warrant a warning; the second a ban. It would be a good idea to have that policy stated somewhere. If there are so many infractions that it becomes overwhelming for the moderators then we would need to rethink this issue but I don't really anticipate that problem.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:17 pm

No restrictions unless something causes a problem, which I honestly don't see happening, or at least any time soon.

As Godric said, a case by case might be a good way of handling it, cut the bad eggs out while letting the rest roam freely as any other on the site.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Honestly this is what I expected to hear, but I wanted to hear it, rather than assume it. Thank you one and all for your input!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RP Forum Input Requested!   RP Forum Input Requested! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RP Forum Input Requested!
Page 1 of 1