Respect In Gaming

HomeRegisterLog in

TOR- Your Expectations?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ShavedEwok

TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 am

Hi

Regarding the size of the planets...

Here's a quote from the SWTOR Wiki Daniel Erickson Q&A (bolds by me):

Quote :
...the origin worlds, even the biggest ones, are less than a quarter the size of a normal planet. Our worlds are huge and as you’ve seen, they’re not like most MMO worlds, not one, flat plane that kind of curves. They are dense, intricate and detailed. The game is huge.

- Daniel Erickson, BioWare

Source: http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/BioWare's_Daniel_Erickson_answers_your_questions

Add to the above statement the findings of the official forum thread Ord Mantell (trooper start area) broken down in details and size and you can roughly calculate the size of a "normal" planet.

EDIT: For some reason I couldn't get the top URL to embed properly, but at least now it's clickable.

Cheers

SE

Last edited by ShavedEwok on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 am

I'm looking forward to the different planets (but then, what am I NOT looking forward to?,) though a few more then others.

Tython and Drommund Kaas both seem really exciting, and so is Alderaan.

Kinda would also like to see how Taris is doing now.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 am

Kai-Sun wrote:

Invaded by rakghouls, jungle plants and Sith agents.

Personally, I want to see Belsavis and Alderaan the most.

Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 pm

azarhal wrote:
Kai-Sun wrote:

Invaded by rakghouls, jungle plants and Sith agents.

Personally, I want to see Belsavis and Alderaan the most.

Yea I remember the rakghouls being mentioned, I wonder if they'll go into anything about the Muir (spelling?) talisman because of it, or if they're just there like always.

I like all the planets, but yeah Alderaan looks like an interesting place, and it's nice to be able to go there before millions of people cry out and then are silenced Razz
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I honestly do not have "hopes" for this game, I only have fears:

- No diversity in species - BioWare only giving us humans or differently colored humans to play with. I will be very disappointed and will probably not play the game if aliens are included; even if Kel'Dor (my intended species) is included, but not others, I will still consider not even touching this game. Why? My next point covers that...

- Too much focus on story - This leading to other parts of the game having to compromise for something so ridiculous and pointless as Story in an MMO. As fun and inviting as it may be, story ends, and nothing should have to bend over because of it. I have asked a couple of outsiders who barely know anything about TOR, and all they talk about is "Do they have PvP?" "Will I have to grind?". On the second question, I say "no, there is story that takes you from level 1 to 50". The best reaction I've gotten is "Oh, like Mass Effect? Cool. What about <insert important MMO factor here>?". Restricting playable species for story integrity is ridiculous as well, seeing as the story has already been heavily compromised by including the Chiss.

- Roleplayers playing after BioWare's story - There seems to be a huge trend regarding this. People intending to roleplay the characters BioWare gives them. It is almost a fear, but in the end it will only ridicule those unoriginal and uncreative people, and make me (and others) shine through as incredible roleplayers (in contrast to their total failures).

Other than that, no... nothing, really. Companions might be a bit clumsy too - I am hoping and wishing for some customization regarding them, not just dressing them up. Simple stuff like changing their body types and so on. The cloned concept annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Horeon wrote:
I honestly do not have "hopes" for this game, I only have fears:

- No diversity in species - BioWare only giving us humans or differently colored humans to play with. I will be very disappointed and will probably not play the game if aliens are included; even if Kel'Dor (my intended species) is included, but not others, I will still consider not even touching this game. Why? My next point covers that...

- Too much focus on story - This leading to other parts of the game having to compromise for something so ridiculous and pointless as Story in an MMO. As fun and inviting as it may be, story ends, and nothing should have to bend over because of it. I have asked a couple of outsiders who barely know anything about TOR, and all they talk about is "Do they have PvP?" "Will I have to grind?". On the second question, I say "no, there is story that takes you from level 1 to 50". The best reaction I've gotten is "Oh, like Mass Effect? Cool. What about <insert important MMO factor here>?". Restricting playable species for story integrity is ridiculous as well, seeing as the story has already been heavily compromised by including the Chiss.

- Roleplayers playing after BioWare's story - There seems to be a huge trend regarding this. People intending to roleplay the characters BioWare gives them. It is almost a fear, but in the end it will only ridicule those unoriginal and uncreative people, and make me (and others) shine through as incredible roleplayers (in contrast to their total failures).

Other than that, no... nothing, really. Companions might be a bit clumsy too - I am hoping and wishing for some customization regarding them, not just dressing them up. Simple stuff like changing their body types and so on. The cloned concept annoys me.

Let me just say as someone with vast experience at learning how devs think (which is like busiessnmen). It is very common for devs to start out small and gradually throw in more tidbits over time to wet the players' appetites. I predict this will be the same way with the species. Mmo history has proven this to be a widely used practice.

As to the storyline questing, it would be mmo/business suicide to lock us in to a quest storyline and not allow us to step away and do our own thing when we wished. That would leave no opportunity for the players to interact which is completely contrary to what the devs want. They want us to make friends because they know that it is friends that keep players on a game long after the content has gotten stale.

So, in conclusion, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. They know fullwell that if they don't give us what we want we will leave and then they'll be screwed.

devs-------> TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 645704 TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 882604 <-------players
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Lugaidh wrote:
Let me just say as someone with vast experience at learning how devs think (which is like busiessnmen). It is very common for devs to start out small and gradually throw in more tidbits over time to wet the players' appetites. I predict this will be the same way with the species. Mmo history has proven this to be a widely used practice.

As to the storyline questing, it would be mmo/business suicide to lock us in to a quest storyline and not allow us to step away and do our own thing when we wished. That would leave no opportunity for the players to interact which is completely contrary to what the devs want. They want us to make friends because they know that it is friends that keep players on a game long after the content has gotten stale.

So, in conclusion, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. They know fullwell that if they don't give us what we want we will leave and then they'll be screwed.

devs-------> TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 645704 TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 882604 <-------players

I know they have to cave eventually.

The thing is I won't wait for this game to add the things I view as mandatory. If they're not in, I won't play. Does not mean I will join the game later, either, if they add them, mostly to preserve my dignity. Total boycotting is something I'm very good at Razz

So unless they throw this in and stop compromising gameplay for story to begin with, I'm out. Is all I'm saying.

The rest looks freakin' awesome and I must say I will be sad if I end up not playing the game Smile
Back to top Go down
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I would like the idea of "story" if it forces us to make difficult decisions which affect player's stats, reputation, etc.My fear is, this, along with questing, will make the game too quest oriented. Some questing is good, but not if it is the only viable way to level you char. My objection to questing is it takes away the initiative from players. You don't have to think about where you should go now and what you should do, you just follow your quests. And i like more "sendbox" type games.
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Gamewiz wrote:
I try to not have a lot of expectations regarding games... Because with high expectations comes the higher risk of regret.

Ditto. I expect BioWare to have given making this game their best shot. That's more than can be said about a lot of game companies.

Game info and forums are nice for seeing the devs' intentions but for lots of reasons I don't take intentions as concrete proof for how a game will be at launch.
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Lugaidh wrote:
... As to the storyline questing, it would be mmo/business suicide to lock us in to a quest storyline and not allow us to step away and do our own thing when we wished. That would leave no opportunity for the players to interact which is completely contrary to what the devs want. They want us to make friends because they know that it is friends that keep players on a game long after the content has gotten stale. ...

So far the game's announced actions don't jibe with player interaction in several places where they could have.

As you say, surely the devs have those intentions. Yet of the minigames announced, space is single player only and crafting is announced as a way to keep people away from story as briefly as possible. Of course by definition PvP has another player and limited story involved but that's only 1 out of the 3 minigames.

Those decisions puzzle me for a MMO. To my non-expert eyes they look like missed opportunities. Even if there were no other reason single-player space gets a mark in my minus column simply because it is a bad adaptation, and unnecessarily so, from the source material.

I'm often a solo guy due to odd hours yet taking away choice takes away what I like in games.

From what has been shown so far TOR does not want its players to be doing anything other than story. As nice as story shall be It would be nicer still to take a break from it now and then, and for that break to be in the Star Wars game world. If not, then my breaks will still be taken but out of the game. Oh well, (a new) hope springs eternal and we'll see what the launch game has in it.

Just one person's thoughts, and they can be Sith or Chiss -- uhh, hit or miss.

Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Horeon wrote:

I think its safe to say this fear will be a reality for you, given what BioWare has said thus far, but I think it comes down to a question of perspective and what type of playstyle a certain player is looking for. I would argue that story is not at all pointless in an MMO, least of all in a Star Wars MMO, but that's only my opinion. For someone like me who isn't really interested in grinding the same end game dungeons over and over, having new fully voiced storylines to play through is a pretty exciting alternative to the end game schlub. Then again, I've had a history of altaholism, so take that for what it is.

I think what it comes down to is a question of what you're into as a player: Are you interested in the ride or the finish line? A mostly story driven MMO represents a paradigm shift in that it favors players who are interested in the ride, whereas MMOs have heretofore been about the end game. As a player who likes the ride, I welcome the change, but it will be very important for BioWare to not alienate the finish line players, as that will be a large portion of the playerbase.

To your last point; I wholeheartedly agree that restricting player character options in a market that has shown an overwhelming blueshift in customizability is a very bad thing. Although I'll have to wait and see on this one. BioWare has shown a tendancy to listen to player demands, so we may have the more exotic species available someday, though I sincerely doubt we'll see it at launch.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:55 pm

TBH I trust BW to make this a great game.

I won't go on and complain about everything because I think we have barely seen anything of the game... The only thing I trust a little are hands-on reports, which we had some of. They were all quite positive, so I believe there is no reason for me worrying over nothing. And wasting my precious time doing it.

People might sometimes overhype a game, but sometimes they are also overly anxious.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience

Last edited by Grome on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 am

Now, I'm anxiously waiting for the reports about the 8 hours TOR gaming the press got to do...More hands-on is always welcome.

Baelyrn

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am

One of the things I most dislike in games, is unresponsiveness of the character. In many games, when you start attacking or casting spells, the character gets stuck in doing what he does and it feels you cannot control your character, just incase something goes wrong in the middle of that action. The same thing with looting and interacting with the environment, sitting down and such.

This is something that really breaks the immersion for me.

High latency also has a similar effect. I guess it also depends on which actions are handled on the client side, and which on the server.

In Wow this has worked very well, better than the few other MMOs I've tried. Even some single player games fail when it comes to controlling the actions of your character.

Apart from that, the thing I wish for in The Old Republic is worlds which feel free and open. Where there aren't too many artificial barriers to block your way. Atmosphere is also very important to me, the scenery, sounds and music, when they go together in harmony the experience becomes deeper and more emotionally stimulating.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Baelyrn wrote:
Apart from that, the thing I wish for in The Old Republic is worlds which feel free and open. Where there aren't too many artificial barriers to block your way. Atmosphere is also very important to me, the scenery, sounds and music, when they go together in harmony the experience becomes deeper and more emotionally stimulating.

qft

The general atmosphere is very important indeed. When you look at the artwork for the planets, that is always how I think it should look like.

But there is a lot more to it and I won't be able to judge that properly until I'm in the game.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TOR- Your Expectations?   TOR- Your  Expectations? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TOR- Your Expectations?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: General Discussion - Talk about anything SW:TOR-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Make a forum | Video games | Roleplay Games (MMORPG, WOW...) | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com