Respect In Gaming

HomeRegisterLog in

Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. Empty
PostSubject: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 am

Someone please assure me that TOR won't pull and Aion and prevent you from rolling characters across factions on the same server (if they'll even have official factions).
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:14 am

Lugaidh wrote:
Someone please assure me that TOR won't pull and Aion and prevent you from rolling characters across factions on the same server (if they'll even have official factions).

Well, seeing as we don't work for Bioware, that's a tough question to answer!

However, /hands you a puppy and some bacon.

That make you feel better? Eat one, not the other.
Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:15 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
Lugaidh wrote:

LAWLS!! I wonder what puppy tastes like...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:26 am

Lugaidh wrote:
Kai-Sun wrote:
Lugaidh wrote:

LAWLS!! I wonder what puppy tastes like...

I'm not sure, but babies taste like chicken.

Cannibals said humans taste like chicken...

Ergo, babies taste of chicken.

I love Eddie Izzard.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:28 am

What we know about the game faction wise (currently in the game, it could change).

- There is no shared content between the Republic and the Empire.
- Everybody can go on every planets beside starter planets.
- There is no communication limitations.
- It appear that crafting isn't limited by faction either (with both Damion and Daniel saying that a dedicated crafter could become the best on the server). Although, I doubt Republic people will make Sith armours...

I used to think that TOR should ban across faction character creation, but now I think it would be much better to allow it. There is no "secrets" to keep from the opposite faction, which mean that allowing cross faction would allow for better events to take places in the open world.

Last edited by azarhal on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 1:46 am

I think banning communication hurts more then it helps the situation
Hopefully we can roll our alts wherever we please
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 am

Oh, there's it's own thread for this (and I just replied in the other one). I'll just quote myself.

Sylrah wrote:
Kai-Sun wrote:
Selven wrote:
Lugaidh wrote:
I know I said consular sage but the inquisitor intirgues me as well. I think I'll try them both from the start and see which one I like better. That is if they don't pull an Aion and prevent you from going cross-faction on the same server. I sincerely hope not, I hated that.

Agreed. There's no good reason for doing that in the first place.

I can think of a few reasons, but none of them really deal breaking or something that would mess with how the game would play out.

I hope it doesn't happen either. I've been on pvp servers like that, and I feel that it mostly weakens the community.

Every reason anyone has ever given has been kicked to the center of the planet within seconds.
And reasons have been given to allow it which have been fully untouched.

Same with cross faction communication.

Take ten friends that want to party with and against eachother in every possible combination of faction configuration, you're not going to have enough servers if they want to even only play 5v5 or 10 on one side. You only need one server if everyone can make characters of both factions there.

They want us to experience story, so why not let us experience them all without having to switch servers?

Just look at our community, we're a lot more likely to fail if we have to do it on multiple servers, which will divide us a lot more than may already be the case. If we can play on a single server our community will be able to affect both factions at the same time with the utmost efficiency.
Back to top Go down
Zephrus

Zephrus

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Lugaidh wrote:

I think not allowing one player to have characters on both factions on one server is pretty essential.

I was a Guide on EQI PvP server Tallon Zek and xteaming was a major source of problems.

On Moon Guard on Wow lately Horde alts have been filling up our Alliance contingent in Wintergrasp. Not only do they not fight for us, they act as spies, grief people by pulling guards, and trash talk and spam on the raid channel.

People being able to talk cross faction... yeah I favor that but face-to-face only, not allowing the other team to spam/troll regional or global channels.

I also think it is interesting if people can trade cross-faction, but again only face-to-face, so there is always an element of danger involved.
Back to top Go down
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Lugaidh wrote:

On WoW numerous alliance raids against oggrimar and other horde cities failed because people with chars on both sides saw the preparation going on and switched to their horde chars to alarm the defenders. The opposite situation was common also.
Having chars across factions on same server provides many opportunities for such exploits.
And what about the roleplay? Are you defender of the Republic or serve the Emperor? You can't be both, can you?
I hope you don't hate me for this opinion Smile But i really think people should not be able to have chars across factions on same server and the communication between the factions should be impossible.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Zephrus wrote:

I also think it is interesting if people can trade cross-faction, but again only face-to-face, so there is always an element of danger involved.

Funny bug actually from WoW, a GM left the switches on this ally paladin and he was in Shatt chatting up all the Horde, I even bought an item off him.

He was swamped by people for like an hour before they turned off the coding for him to talk to us, had great fun. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Lednik wrote:
On WoW numerous alliance raids against oggrimar and other horde cities failed because people with chars on both sides saw the preparation going on and switched to their horde chars to alarm the defenders. The opposite situation was common also.
Actually that sounds like it actually caused opposition. Maybe they simply did that so that they wouldn't be bored out of their minds. A city should offer opposition, just marching into a capitol until you're chased out sounds really boring.

Quote :
Having chars across factions on same server provides many opportunities for such exploits.
Also, they wouldn't need characters on the opposite side to realize an opposition. They can just post a notice on a forum, call someone or send an email. So to be blunt, that's one of the reasons that's shot down before it's brought up, if you can actually call it an exploit then there's still plenty of ways to do it without using an alternate character.

Quote :
And what about the roleplay? Are you defender of the Republic or serve the Emperor? You can't be both, can you?
Well, when you play character A you're not playing character B, so if character A is Republic, you're playing republic. I am a roleplayer and wouldn't change faction because a city is being attacked... unless there's an imbalance and my character isn't taking an active role (still not a choice to be made lightly), so it would be to create more of a balance. More balance means more fun.

Quote :
I hope you don't hate me for this opinion Smile But i really think people should not be able to have chars across factions on same server and the communication between the factions should be impossible.
You're entitled to your opinion, even if I feel it's completely flawed. I've nullified all the points to separate the factions to different servers in a thread on the official forums, infact turning them around to say the opposite and adding more reasons to support it. Noone has even tried to fight my logic there and the thread has been burried eversince.

You're welcome to try and chalange my logic on this, it may open my eyes if a new point of view is presented.
Back to top Go down
MorgonKara
Shot First
MorgonKara

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh yeah, there are definitely two major factions; Empire and Republic. Your class selection will place your character automatically in one or the other.

I don't remember reading anything where the devs have said anything either way regarding playing two factions on one server. I could see them limiting us to one faction per server if the RvR and PvP are a really major part of the game. That wouldn't be so bad, I would probably just play on two different servers, one for Empire and one for Republic.

Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:47 pm

I actually doubt they will stop you playing both factions on the same server.

My main reason for this doubt, is BioWares own desire for people to try out all the classes and experience all the stories.

It would just make no sense to have that desire, then expect people to play on different servers, few people would do it, if it meant spending half their gaming time not being able to play with any of their friends they had made in game.

Just my 2p Smile

Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. Tyodisig1copygj8er6
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Quote :
Actually that sounds like it actually caused opposition. Maybe they simply did that so that they wouldn't be bored out of their minds. A city should offer opposition, just marching into a capitol until you're chased out sounds really boring.

Also, they wouldn't need characters on the opposite side to realize an opposition. They can just post a notice on a forum, call someone or send an email. So to be blunt, that's one of the reasons that's shot down before it's brought up, if you can actually call it an exploit then there's still plenty of ways to do it without using an alternate character.

Most of this raids are spontaneous, so forums and emails are not valuable source of information. And attacks on Oggrimar or Ironforge in a prime time are never walk in a park. But that is not the point. I am not against having an opposition. If the other faction scouts spotted the invading army and alarmed their friends, thats great. It is how it should work. People switching factions to say "heyyy, the horde is coming!!" is just lame and kills the game IMO.

Quote :
Well, when you play character A you're not playing character B, so if character A is Republic, you're playing republic. I am a roleplayer and wouldn't change faction because a city is being attacked... unless there's an imbalance and my character isn't taking an active role (still not a choice to be made lightly), so it would be to create more of a balance. More balance means more fun.

It goes down to what means roleplay to you. Personally, when i play some faction i consider myself member of this faction. Not the char, but myself as a person. I can't switch sides. Anyway...people are different, thats just me. Obviously you don't agree on this. No problem.

Quote :
You're entitled to your opinion, even if I feel it's completely flawed. I've nullified all the points to separate the factions to different servers in a thread on the official forums, infact turning them around to say the opposite and adding more reasons to support it. Noone has even tried to fight my logic there and the thread has been burried eversince.

You're welcome to try and chalange my logic on this, it may open my eyes if a new point of view is presented.

Well, to be honest whether we would be allowed to have chars on both sides or not is not such a big issue to me. I am against it, but could live with it. What bothers me much more is the communication between factions. I have played some games with such rules and it was an endless swear-fest. Why we need this, anyway? War is going on, do you really need to have nice little chat with your enemy? In reality people don't do this. And i want the game to be as realistic as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Cross faction communication... definately makes sense to me.

Infiltration, espionage, interrogation, interception of communications, spreading false information, etc.

But to talk about the birds and the bees and whatnot? Or to just call names at eachother's faces? There I agree with you, but that isn't the blame of cross faction communication, it's to blame on the community.

In the end I am in agreement with Ty-Odi, the high emphasys on story makes faction separation highly illogical and unlikely, but we'll see.

If there is separation then I may worry of what will happen with this community. In order to play with and against every one here as every faction, we'd need to use at least 4 servers (an all republic one, an all imperial one, a 50-50 one and the inversed version, but that does not take absentees into the calculations). But to cover all bases and create plenty of group configuration options we'd need 2 to the power of the community size in servers. Even if you cross out every combination that leads to imbalance you're still stuck with a lot more servers than there will be at launch or after several years of playing. - Meaning it's hell for any group of competative friends that want to vary their teams.

Anyway, I don't want to level up the same characters on different servers, just so I can PvP with those I also play with. That makes it a chore.

And if you can also play as the other faction you can spread respect amongst players there as well, which is needed if we want to play on an open-PvP server.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 pm

The for or against cross-faction character creation pretty much stand on one thing only from BioWare point-of-view: Do they want to promote this game as a faction vs faction game or not?

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..   Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please tell me they're not going to pull an Aion..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: General Discussion - Talk about anything SW:TOR-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com