HomeRegisterLog in

Crafting- A First Look

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CRR_Kathy

CRR_Kathy

Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 2:51 pm

The more I hear about crafting, the more I can't wait to try it. The addition of the Missions/Diplomacy skill is a fantastic new direction to take things, and I was really glad to hear Dallas Dickinson specifically say in the Friday Update crafting video that players will also be able to harvest mats if they want to. I know a lot of people were sad at the idea that they would lose the ability to go on gathering runs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.corellianrun.com
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:26 pm

CRR_Kathy wrote:
The more I hear about crafting, the more I can't wait to try it. The addition of the Missions/Diplomacy skill is a fantastic new direction to take things, and I was really glad to hear Dallas Dickinson specifically say in the Friday Update crafting video that players will also be able to harvest mats if they want to. I know a lot of people were sad at the idea that they would lose the ability to go on gathering runs.

Yea, a few of my friends were bummed about it, and it definitely helped that they added that. I think they're listening to the community about that, because people have been really vocal about crafting.

I'm excited about it, and I'm usually a "get to max then forget it in a corner" style of crafter. I blame the games I generally play then the crafting itself.
Back to top Go down
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Gamewiz wrote:
Yep, just read that interview. The two parts where DE mentioned that crafters can craft some of the top tier equipment in the game was very exciting. I'm sure many crafters are jumping for joy at that. Smile

You bet cheers
Exciting news. But i need more details about this crew system. Are those missions going to be 100% success ratio? You send your companion to gather resources and log of...and the next morning you find a big pile of materials in your cargo bay? Too easy, i think. Rolling Eyes But everything else sounds very intriguing.
Back to top Go down
CRR_Kathy

CRR_Kathy

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Lednik wrote:
But i need more details about this crew system. Are those missions going to be 100% success ratio? You send your companion to gather resources and log of...and the next morning you find a big pile of materials in your cargo bay? Too easy, i think. Rolling Eyes But everything else sounds very intriguing.

From what Daniel Erickson said in Chronic Reload's interview that companions may or may not succeed in their missions. We also know that Affection Rating of your companions will determine their effectiveness in their tasks. So definitely not just an easy-peasy system of leveling -- you not only have to manage the actual crafting, you must also manage your relationship with your companion.

Lastly, because you have to determine how you're going to specialize (can choose only one crafting skill) you'll be determining what path you wish to delve into, which will make you better able to stand out among other crafters. I love Damion Schubert's thoughts on what they're trying to achieve in crafting.

Damion Schubert's Dev Tracker post on crafting goals: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4678566#edit4678566

CRR Recap of Chronic Reload interview with Daniel Erickson, incl link to audio: http://corellianrun.com/2010/11/11/chronic-reload-interview-with-daniel-erickson/#more-1983

Daniel Erickson talks about Affection Rating in Darth Hater interview: http://darthhater.com/2010/11/12/daniel-erickson-on-crew-skills/page/2
Back to top Go down
http://www.corellianrun.com
Lednik

Lednik

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 pm

CRR_Kathy wrote:
Lednik wrote:
But i need more details about this crew system. Are those missions going to be 100% success ratio? You send your companion to gather resources and log of...and the next morning you find a big pile of materials in your cargo bay? Too easy, i think. Rolling Eyes But everything else sounds very intriguing.

From what Daniel Erickson said in Chronic Reload's interview that companions may or may not succeed in their missions. We also know that Affection Rating of your companions will determine their effectiveness in their tasks. So definitely not just an easy-peasy system of leveling -- you not only have to manage the actual crafting, you must also manage your relationship with your companion.

Lastly, because you have to determine how you're going to specialize (can choose only one crafting skill) you'll be determining what path you wish to delve into, which will make you better able to stand out among other crafters. I love Damion Schubert's thoughts on what they're trying to achieve in crafting.

Damion Schubert's Dev Tracker post on crafting goals: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4678566#edit4678566

CRR Recap of Chronic Reload interview with Daniel Erickson, incl link to audio: http://corellianrun.com/2010/11/11/chronic-reload-interview-with-daniel-erickson/#more-1983

Daniel Erickson talks about Affection Rating in Darth Hater interview: http://darthhater.com/2010/11/12/daniel-erickson-on-crew-skills/page/2

Thanks for the links.
Obviously somehow i missed the highlighted part.
About having only one crafting skill. If i am getting this right, players don't have crafting skills. Companions do. So if they have different skills, which is very logical - it makes several crafting skills. But i still don't know whether all the companions would have crafting skills or just some of them.
Back to top Go down
ShavedEwok

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Lednik wrote:
About having only one crafting skill. If i am getting this right, players don't have crafting skills. Companions do. So if they have different skills, which is very logical - it makes several crafting skills. But i still don't know whether all the companions would have crafting skills or just some of them.

Apologies in advance in case I've misunderstood you, but...

They way it's been worded is:

Quote :
"You will be able to select three Crew Skills for your team to train in..."

Source: Crew Skills System Page

Which also explains the name "Crew Skills", i.e. these are not the skills of your actual character, but rather of your "crew" (companions).

Also note that in terms of these skills, your "crew" is treated as a unit, not as individual companions.

That is to say, you have a total of 3 Crew Skills "slots" which you can fill up with various skills and which then will apply to the whole crew (i.e. all companions as a unit).

When it comes to crafting, you can only select 1 Crafting Skill, which will take up 1 of your Crew Skills slots (again, out of a total of 3) and which will also apply to the crew as a whole. For example, if you pick Armormech, then that's the only type of crafting any of your companions will be able to perform.

However, some companions will have bonuses on an individual level for certain skills. An example would be Vette, who has a bonus when it comes to Treasure Hunting Missions. There may be other companions who will have bonuses for other skills, for example armor crafting (Armormech) or collecting genetic material (Bioanalysis).

Anyway, hope I didn't misunderstand your question and that at least someone found my blabbering even remotely useful. Razz

Cheers

SE
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Yea, it basically works like this.

You have 3 slots in your crew skills section you can fill.

Out of those, you can have up to 3 Gathering, ONLY ever one craft, and up to 3 missions.

Any combinations within those guidelines. You cannot for instance, have Artifice and Armormech at the same time.

Certain companions will excel at different tasks given them, so you pick from those that you wish to work on a given project.

I like the craft and turn off the lights bit, for when you want a few items made before you go out and play, but don't have the time because of work/family.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Darthhater got a part 2 to their Crafting interview with Daniel Erickson.

There's something about Open World PvP in there too, well a hint about "Battle Crafting!"

Quote :
One of the things you probably noticed about the companions is that they are directly controllable as well. You don't have to directly control them. You could say, "Attack their companion." You could get a pretty good drop on their companion if they were down scrabbling in the dirt and you used your companion's big nasty attack ability -- his big cooldown -- against them. You could assume that yeah, you could keep somebody busy, knock off their companion, and then go for the node if you're battle crafting.

"Go to" crafters and making "top tier" stuff:
Quote :

One of the important overall goals that we haven't talked about Crew Skills is that there will be "go to" people. You will be able to craft items that are the top tier of things in the game. It is going to be very possible that there are only one or two people on the server who know how to craft specific things. There is a whole lot of discovery involved.

I also like this part, "unique crafters":

Quote :
The items you create are by their very nature personalized, so we definitely maker's mark everything. As crafters go further and further into their art, they will start to learn things that other crafters do not know. Eventually, the hope is that you develop sort of a specialization and a concept of the things that you craft. And that is probably going to adjust very much by which skill pairings you decided to grab. To give sort of a hint, there are mission skills that may help out crafters more because you have more of a chance going and getting specific things or specific recipes -- they are going to help the whole piece. At the top level, for the people who are really, really pushing the Crew Skills... everyone is going to get fairly unique with it.

I love this system already and I haven't tried it yet...

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dayn
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm putting together a list of questions for a Q&A with the devs on crafting and possible PvP.

I can't ask questions about things they haven't revealed, but questions that elaborate or clarify confusion are fair game.

Please feel free to post questions here and I'll take the ones that seem likely to get an response and add them to the list.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 6:46 pm

I definitely find this a step-up in the direction of crafting. I hated the grind-fests in other games. I wonder if like in other games where although you have hundreds of recipes only a few are worth making. In Vanilla WoW you only made like 10 different types of potions to level up alchemy because those were the only ones that I could use for other recipes or would sell in the auction house. Figuring out which recipes were valuable and which weren't was a real pain in the a**. Make the wrong potions and you've wasted a ton of money.

I am also curious about the diplomacy skill. Can we go fully lightside and get what ever bonuses that entails without diplomacy? If yes, then the skill is less useful. If no, then it is a must have and restricts one's choices.

I wonder how the gathering and crafting skills will interact. Will it be one-to-one like most of the skills from WoW. Herbalism-Alchemy, Skinning-Leather Making? Bioanaylsis definitely goes with biochem. Or will it be more complex like Engineering in WoW where you needed ingredients from several different gathering skills. The latter would definitely increase the social aspects of the game.

As my main will be a Jedi, Artifice is intriguing and I wonder what gathering skill(s) pair with it.
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 pm

If we can get some of us becomming famous crafters, we'd also have an extra change to spread the cause.

Well, I'm definately going to give it a try. I'll call it "smuggling" (for my smuggler, if I make the class into a profession...), even though it might technically be crafted more than smuggled.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
I definitely find this a step-up in the direction of crafting. I hated the grind-fests in other games. I wonder if like in other games where although you have hundreds of recipes only a few are worth making.[skipped for space]

SWTOR crafting is actually extremely grind, the only difference is that you aren't the one who is doing the grinding. The slaves friends are.

I really want one of my character to get a Jawa companion now.

As for the usefulness, the devs keep saying they don't want people to make useless stuff...

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:30 pm

For example, here are the questions I thought up:

1) There has been a concern on the forums that "recipes limited per server" means an actual hard count - This server can only have 5 of this awesome recipe in existence. How does the system limit the number of people who have these high end recipes.

2) One of the concerns voiced about diplomacy missions, is that it trivializes the morality system/choices by allowing you to "grind morality." Is this feasible, or is this how the system is intended to work?

3) It was mentioned that you can send out companions to look for specific materials, the one that you're missing, for example. Can you elaborate more on this?

4) Artifice is one of the revealed skills, and is mentioned to be "jedi and sith artifacts" is this a force user only tree? Will it also be capable of creating items that non-force users can use?

5) Will there be a difference between classes and companions? For example, Vette was mentioned as having a bonus to treasure hunting. Will all classes have a companion with bonuses to treasure hunting, or will there be some classes that perhaps have companions with a better fit for some crafting (such as Force Using classes and Artifice).

6) When talking about master crafters, it keeps mentioning "the dedicated" Is time the only thing required to achieve master crafting, or will there be components, perhaps quests, or involvement in PvP or Raids, to get rare materials and recipes?
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't think diplomacy will be necessary to reach max alignment.

It's true that the companions do grind instead of us, but you gotta get the materials somehow, right? Plus, in the end we care about what we do (and we do not grind, ergo this is an improvement as far as I am concerned) and for all we know our companions could just be buying the stuff on some black market, the lazy bastards.

Paladin, those are some interesting questions. Something I (and others) have been wondering about is this: Will there be some mechanism to prevent people from sending out all companions on all chars they have?
I wouldn't like to see people leveling one toon after another just so they can send out a larger number of companions.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Grome wrote:
I
Paladin, those are some interesting questions. Something I (and others) have been wondering about is this: Will there be some mechanism to prevent people from sending out all companions on all chars they have?
I wouldn't like to see people leveling one toon after another just so they can send out a larger number of companions.

This last bit is going to happen, unless they restrict the number of deployable companions by account instead of character.

I don't see them doing that however, at least not while you're actively in game. There might be a que for offline crafting, so hopefully they can tell us the limitations.

Some people are really big into crafting and I can already see people sitting here doing almost only this because they just love making stuff and working the market.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm

At least you'll actually have to play the chars to get all the companions.

When You Argue With Idiots
They Drag You Down To Their Level
And Beat You With Experience

Last edited by Grome on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Grome wrote:

Yea. I think it'll be fine as long as Bioware is very good at catching Bots and gold farmer style toons.

You're still really only able to go so fast as the day long crew skills let you go, even with an abundance of smaller items and the like.

I'm hoping there isn't a server limit on craft items. If say a server gets unlucky and they go to like the 5 people who jack the price on everything or will only let their guildies use it for some sense of entitlement, it'd be a sad day.

I mean, you should pay for a rare recipe, but it shouldn't be THAT prohibitive.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Grome wrote:

Yea. I think it'll be fine as long as Bioware is very good at catching Bots and gold farmer style toons.

You're still really only able to go so fast as the day long crew skills let you go, even with an abundance of smaller items and the like.

I'm hoping there isn't a server limit on craft items. If say a server gets unlucky and they go to like the 5 people who jack the price on everything or will only let their guildies use it for some sense of entitlement, it'd be a sad day.

I mean, you should pay for a rare recipe, but it shouldn't be THAT prohibitive.

It sounds like the route there going is to provide 50 different variations of the rare recipes. Take, for example, the follow scenario.

Awesome Ring(tm) the best DPS ring in the game
Well, theres 3 different BH versions depending on spec
3 different trooper version, depending on spec
3 different smuggler versions, depending on spec

you get the picture

Then they make these very difficult to get (a la WoW and such), well then, someone would have the one that's good for Gunslingers who are X specs, and another person has the one that's good for smugglers who are Y speced.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Lord_Paladin wrote:

It sounds like the route there going is to provide 50 different variations of the rare recipes. Take, for example, the follow scenario.

Awesome Ring(tm) the best DPS ring in the game
Well, theres 3 different BH versions depending on spec
3 different trooper version, depending on spec
3 different smuggler versions, depending on spec

you get the picture

Then they make these very difficult to get (a la WoW and such), well then, someone would have the one that's good for Gunslingers who are X specs, and another person has the one that's good for smugglers who are Y speced.

Which will be nice, because each crafting skill will have a use and a draw to it, and so will the specialties.
Back to top Go down
DeaconX

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 am

As someone who has NEVER enjoyed crafting and always seen it as a terribly boring time sink and grind, I really love the direction BioWare is taking with this... This adds to the whole feeling of being Captain of your own ship and crew.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am

DeaconX wrote:
This adds to the whole feeling of being Slave master of your own ship and crew.

Corrected.

Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 240514

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 am

azarhal wrote:
DeaconX wrote:
This adds to the whole feeling of being the captain of your own ship and crew.

Corrected.

It is now. Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 4686
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 am

DeaconX wrote:
azarhal wrote:
DeaconX wrote:

Corrected.

Boba is the perfect slave master.

Last edited by azarhal on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeaconX

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 am

azarhal wrote:
DeaconX wrote:
azarhal wrote:
DeaconX wrote:

Corrected.

afro

Actually he's pretty indifferent about it according to the books hehe... I didn't have a Han Solo so... I'll go with this one... Star Wars Corsair captain ftw Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 30344
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 am

DeaconX wrote:
azarhal wrote:
DeaconX wrote:
azarhal wrote:
DeaconX wrote:

Corrected.

afro

Actually he's pretty indifferent about it according to the books hehe... I didn't have a Han Solo so... I'll go with this one... Star Wars Corsair captain ftw Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 30344

Boba didn't like his Slave 1?

PostSubject: Re: Crafting- A First Look   Crafting- A First Look - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crafting- A First Look
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next