The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do we measure Success?

Go down 
+14
Stryklone
Quince
Aurabesh
Sylrah
Ty-Odi
Grome
Natheless
Kai-Sun
Godric_Barbarosa
azarhal
Aldemarran
Schwendo
Crebain
Darka
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Coldhart

Coldhart

How do we measure Success? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Well with the members we have here on the site, we have a good start. With everyone's guild members who are not on this site atm, we have a whole lot more. And that is an awesome start.

I know we can't force people to do what we want or what we think is right...for who are we to be judge and jury. But with the friends we've made so far here and the others who are still going to be rolling in til the launch, I'ld say we're going to have the time of our lives IG (as far as playing an MMO goes). There's going to be more than enough of us to make our game world worth while. And when you have that many people in your community we tend to forget about those bad apples.

Here's my main reason why I think we've already succeeded...

How many people have you actually known in any MMO you've played? Maybe 20, maybe 50, maybe 100 or more. Yet there are thousands on a server. To me this is already a success because I've met more people already (figuratively speaking for those other guild mates who are not on this site yet) who are all great and want the same thing, and will be on the same server making my game enjoyment factor topple any other game I've ever played before.

We all know that in SWG the community made the game for everyone. And if I can log in on any given day and see over a hundred friends on my friends list (actual people I know...not just that guy that sold me that awesome weapon). And we can have that many people come together for interac'schwen and crazy, goofiness, then that will be what make this a success and that will be what makes everyone stay around at the end...the commeradery of so many like minded individuals. Not to say that we need to all be one big alliance and do things together all the time. But as we make new friends here, it doesn't matter to me what guild you're in. If we mesh well then we'll always have fun. And with this community as large as it is already, well that's all the audience I need for my goofball antics How do we measure Success? - Page 2 516833

Last edited by Coldhart on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 7:10 pm

And I will offr MY goofball antics as well...Oh fellow Crazy Member!
Back to top Go down
Valentin Bravado

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Valentin de Lafayette
Class: Smuggler
Guild: The Smugglers Union

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm

I believe the best way to measure success is to set small goals. Our big mistake would be to set a longterm, large goal that is hard to achieve, and then try to overcome the barriers.

What we need to do is set the longterm goal, but make short term goals that build up to it, and work them one or two at a time. I think we could do a bit like a guild does, and have our own podcast and our own promotional videos.

Next, we would need to establish ourselves adequately, and then recruit. When we have about 5 or 6 guilds from each faction, we would open up for the tournament system and start the competitions. Now, unless we as an organization and project have use for money (Possibly a headquarters, or a central office building or something) We would have little use for the proceed money for entrees.

What we would price:
We would have prices for every different size Scrimtourny. We could do PvP battles of 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8. We would charge so much for each one the guild enters. PvPers cannot do two size teams. Furthermore, we would take a fee for each registration they enter for each battle size. We would then have a small fee for each battle. We would probably hire a referee to watch the battle for verification purposes and such.

Then, we would price additionall each entry into the outrounds (quarterfinals, octofinals, semifinals, finals, etc..) Then, the winner of the entire tournamnet, and the runner up will get the prize money for winning,

It wouldnt be TOO pricey, but we would want to have a sizeable reward to promote competition.

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Valentin Bravado wrote:
I believe the best way to measure success is to set small goals. Our big mistake would be to set a longterm, large goal that is hard to achieve, and then try to overcome the barriers.

What we need to do is set the longterm goal, but make short term goals that build up to it, and work them one or two at a time. I think we could do a bit like a guild does, and have our own podcast and our own promotional videos.

Next, we would need to establish ourselves adequately, and then recruit. When we have about 5 or 6 guilds from each faction, we would open up for the tournament system and start the competitions. Now, unless we as an organization and project have use for money (Possibly a headquarters, or a central office building or something) We would have little use for the proceed
As far as I am concerned - yes, the sum of small projects/goals is something that can be very good. But I'm not gonna look at how we can make everything a "success" but look more in the direction of "fun" and "respect". Success has already been achieved to some extent by coming together. That's how I see it. Further success can be achieved by making things happen - but I will not personally follow the "success status" as to give us pressure or anything.

As for recruiting people/guilds: That's not really how it should be done. We should promote our cause and the people are to come to realize themselves they want to be part of this. If that is what you meant by recruiting of course, then pardon me.
Of course that doesn't mean we can't tell people about our great community and how they should join it if they feel similarly.

As for the stuff after that - I believe it is better if you post it again in the tournament thread? So things don't get too confused between the topics.
Back to top Go down
Valentin Bravado

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Valentin de Lafayette
Guild: The Smugglers Union

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:27 pm

I think I may not have clarified:

I agree with what your saying, but we need incentives for the guild. Do you want a fun PvP environment? Obviously. Thats why we're all here. So great, we are all like-minded...Now what?

Well, now we provide a circuit for them: A place where they can PvP through the Charter with other like-minded guilds.

It will be promotional and allow us to gain a name and reputation. When we do this, other guilds that do or dont believe in our charter will become interested. We will make a stipulation: To compete in this circuit, you have to sign the charter and take on our way of gaming. If you are not friendly gamers, you wont have a shot at our championship.

We need to promote fun and respect as the highest virtues, but it needs to be done systematically. You need an incentive. Many people WERE old school, but found that it offered little to them, and went to the new style of PvP we all discourage.

Showing them we provide not just an old school atmosphere, but an old school atmosphere that allowa progress and success, incentives, and such, thats the key.

Your looking at it at the angle that we ONLY want Fun and Respect. Thats not what this is about. Its not about just Fun and Just Respect. Its about Fun and Respect in PvP.

We want to encourage newbies to get better, provide an atmosphere where they can compete and get better, and play with like-minded people and win. We want fun - In PvP. So we provide a fun PvP atmosphere, and we give back to our champions.

When we give out money-prizes, it gives these people reasons to keep competing. When people dont win, it gives them a reason to work harder. Not just will they become a better PvPer, they can get an award too, and recognition.

Of course we want fun and respect, but the reason all of it was lost along the way is because there were more reasons and more incentives to turn away from the gaming style we all enjoy. You have to think a bit progressively if you want to attract people.

People dont just chase rainbows. They chase rainbows because at the end, theres a pot of gold.

As far as recruiting: Well of course we want only like minded groups to be a part of this. But they cant join unless they know about us, so we do what? Recruit. Advertise.

Even people who dont agree on our style can be advertised to. Preach to them our ideals, and maybe they will convert.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Valentin Bravado wrote:
I think I may not have clarified:

I agree with what your saying, but we need incentives for the guild. Do you want a fun PvP environment? Obviously. Thats why we're all here. So great, we are all

<SNIP>

It will be promotional and allow us to gain a name and reputation. When we do this, other guilds that do or dont believe in our charter will become interested. We will make a stipulation: To compete in this circuit, you have to sign the charter and take on our way of gaming. If you are not friendly gamers, you wont have a shot at our championship.

We need to promote fun and respect as the highest virtues, but it

<SNIP>

maybe they will convert.

If I may make a slight suggestion?

I would not exclude people based on whether they sign up to the charter, but instead, I would set the rules of the tournament. For example upon victory you bow to your opponent, in chat you keep it respectful and friendly. That would be it for me.

I am sure the question of why will now be on your mind? Smile

Well I know well, and from past experience the more you try to force things on people, the more they will shy away from it.

If you host it, with basic rules, but strictly enforced, people will simply follow rather than being led. I think you start with just those amongst us who are like that anyways, and each tournament you invite a couple of other guilds into it, if others express an interest, you allow them to take part, but with those rules stipulated and with reasons given as to why, never exclude people unduly, it takes very little to bring an otherwise great idea crashing down.

But if people take part in it, meet all the people who take part and have a great laugh doing it, it is those kind of positive experiences and positive influences more than anything that can change people, if those tournaments take off, and they very well could do, and become popular, and more frequent, before you know it, subconsciously people will take those same mannerism's into normal PVP, will see why acting in a friendly and positive manner can make it more enjoyable, and will without realising it, raise an eyebrow to bad behaviour in others, it can happen, I have seen it, but you cannot change everyone over night, as the saying goes, slowly, slowly catch you monkey.

Things like this are amazing ideas, and they can honestly help bring great people into these events, and bring an awful lot of fun to the community but don't think it can happen over night, this will take time, effort, and percevierence but we can make it work, or at least have an awful lot of fun trying! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 am

I think Ty hit the nail on the head here!

By the way, before I was just trying to say that this matter may or may not be better moved to the PvP thread to discuss it properly.
Back to top Go down
Garbon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Garbon
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:09 pm

I think we will be successful if the server we choose is respectful, has many activities, and , of course, provides a fun experience for everyone (except the troll, griefers, etc.).
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Garbon wrote:
(except the troll, griefers, etc.).
They deserve love too! How do we measure Success? - Page 2 408455 I love you

:-)
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:36 pm

As Ty said exclusion is not good, we are not after play our way or your not allowed to play type attitude, encouragement is greater then enforcement
Back to top Go down
Garbon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Garbon
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:56 am

Grome wrote:
Garbon wrote:
(except the troll, griefers, etc.).
They deserve love too! How do we measure Success? - Page 2 408455 I love you

:-)

Yeah, but if everyone puts them on their ignore list they'll be lonely. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 4:41 am

I think the "exclusion" is a double edged sword. You can accomplish a ton by "positive enfocement"...and "example setting". But, theres some players that, no matter what, will never work well with others.....tis' sad...
Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
This project has already succeeded for me. I've already met a bunch of awesome people to take into TOR and other games/projects with.

I agree with this statement. I've not posted much (but I swear I'm on here reading all the time >.<) but just knowing that we, as like minded individuals, have come together and look forward to socializing with each other in TOR is success to me.

The way I see it...what's the worst case scenario? Maybe we have one guild on both factions that comprise of RIG members. Is that a far cry from having the whole server being comprised of people that treat others with respect? Yes it is. But did we still manage to create a community of people that hold those principles? You bet your ass we did. And we'll all enjoy the game and each others company all the more because of that success.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do we measure Success?   How do we measure Success? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do we measure Success?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com