The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Servers and Allegiances...

Go down 
+24
Grome
Stryklone
Dresgar
Crebain
Coldhart
Aldemarran
ShavedEwok
Redriot
WesleyP.
vlak
Lugaidh
Baelyrn
SandsS
Zepour
Schwendo
Finiffa
Sylrah
Waxxorian
azarhal
Selven
Kai-Sun
Variable
Ty-Odi
Gamewiz
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

Servers and Allegiances... Empty
PostSubject: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm

So, I was just thinking after reading through our thread on what classes people want to play... What is our plan for servers?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that there are the standard server types: PvE, PvP, and RP servers. Specific rulesets we don't know... but we'll deal with that later.

What's our plan? Do we just all pick one server and go for it, regardless of allegiance? Or should we split it up so that we pick one server to roll all our Sith characters on, and one server for a Republic characters?

Or do we pick a two servers based upon rulesets? One for PvP, one for RP?

How do we want to handle this? There are so many variations and possibilties, it might not hurt to try and figure out what the general consensus is now.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Gamewiz wrote:
So, I was just thinking after reading through our thread on what classes people want to play... What is our plan for servers?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that there are the standard server types: PvE, PvP, and RP servers. Specific rulesets we don't know... but we'll deal with that later.

What's our plan? Do we just all pick one server and go for it, regardless of allegiance? Or should we split it up so that we pick one server to roll all our Sith characters on, and one server for a Republic characters?

How do we want to handle this? There are so many variations and possibilties, it might not hurt to try and figure out what the general consensus is now.

Well personally faction wise, I see no reason to seperate everyone, would be much cooler in my opinion to have us all on one server so we can not only know our enemy, but do so with a bit of fun, and friendly rivalry? Smile

Server types?

Toughy....I would normally roll on a PVP/RP server, mostly because it covers the most bases. But I am also suspecting that many here are Raiders and would like which to go on a PVE server?

I guess in all honestly server type choice is no longer that big a thing for me.

PVP? will only be worth it for me, if we can pull something like this off, and we can really enjoy it, and do so with some dignity and class, PEW PEW PVP is not really for me, and I would likely leave it anyways after a while.

PVE? Likely the biggy for many? But again, server 1st and being an elite raider is beyond me as well, I just do not have the time or dedication, nor the inclination to run raids night after night, I enjoy them, and enjoy partacking in them but they are not my life in an MMO

RP? Well RP can be found on any server, it just depends to what level your after? Do I want to stay in character all the time? No, but I do want to be able to RP with my friends who do when the feeling grabs me. Smile

So to sum up, Server choice, which was once important, is not so big a deal these days, it is all about the community for me now, and this is why I am so excited about getting this all set up, what ever server it is, with people like you all taking part, all of the elements of an MMO will only ever be increased!!! Smile So the choice of server for me at least, I don't honestly mind, I will follow the masses to where ever, or what ever type of server they wish to play on Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 pm

My initial thought is that given this space to develop our community, we'll see subcommunities start to crop up. As with the official forums, you have all flavors accounted for: RP, PvP, raiding, etc. With a few guilds looking to join us, I think the guilds are going to be a good indicator of what types of subcommunities we have.

Personally, my plan is to watch the guild thread tto see which guild feels like a good fit to me, as I am unassociated with a guild at this time. I like a healthy mix of PvP and PvE, so I'll be looking for a guild that is interested in both, but not too slanted in either area. That guild will have to come to a consensus among its players with respect to a starting server. It will have to balance that with the desire to start on an OSC afilliated server. So, I imagine it will be a combination of the guild leaders and community leaders that will need to figure out what is best suited to the community's desires as a whole. It is quite possible we could wind up with pockets of OSC folks represented on PvP, PvE, and RP servers. Ultimately it'll take clear communication from all parties to get a grasp of where we should settle, and I think this board will facilitate that nicely.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:06 am

For faction, I'd hope we'd have our Empire and Republic roll on the same server so we could have a great community all in one place and have a healthy amount of rival and expect to be treated well by those we know, so that both sides are a great place to play.

Server wise, though I was a massive PVPer in most other games, I'll have to roll on an RP or PVE realm due to certain guildies that populate my guild in wow that plan on coming over. RP would be fine, just the PVP ruleset doesn't work for some of my people.

I'm sure we'll have a great amount of players on a few different servers, so I don't see it as a problem too much with it.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:15 am

I really hope there will be all in one servers. I'm not very heavy on the PvP side of things, but I don't wanna be robbed of it completely either. And I do like to RP from time to time along with questing and exploring. I want it all, dammit!

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 am

Truthfully I have always joined PvP servers in the past, so I'd love to be in a PvP server. I love open-world PvP. It's one of my most favorite things to do. PvE servers, for the most part, are devoid of world PvP which is why I'm turned off to them...

But that's just me. Smile
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 2:14 am

I also vote for having members of both factions on the same server(s) and for a server that allow for Open PvP or something close too it. Organising cross faction PvP events or days were everybody can duel it out on a specific planet would be really awesome.

Although, like Selven I'm not really that much into PvP everywhere, anytime, but I like Open PvP a lot more than instanced PvP, which have a tendency to turn into a e-sport and everything that goes with it.

RP is a plus, while I'm not an "hardcore" role-player, I usually play "in character" and feel a lot more immersed when others do too. I also expect the "Star Wars" brand to attract a lot of role-players.

Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 2:24 am

azarhal wrote:
I also vote for having members of both factions on the same server(s) and for a server that allow for Open PvP or something close too it. Organising cross faction PvP events or days were everybody can duel it out on a specific planet would be really awesome.

Although, like Selven I'm not really that much into PvP everywhere, anytime, but I like Open PvP a lot more than instanced PvP, which have a tendency to turn into a e-sport and everything that goes with it.

RP is a plus, while I'm not an "hardcore" role-player, I usually play "in character" and feel a lot more immersed when others do too. I also expect the "Star Wars" brand to attract a lot of role-players.

This is about where I am too. I like both instanced and open world PvP, but if I'm out and about in the world, spontanious PvP can be a bit of a nuisance. Course, I did it in Aion and found it fun enough minus the odd PvP occurance, so I might be persuaded. RP is something that piques my interest a bit, but I've never been able to take myself too seriously with it, so I suppose I'm RP-lite, but I totally get why people dig it. As far as PvE goes, I'm a fan of professional game design (having studied a bit of it in college), so I love seeing what the developers will throw at us.
Back to top Go down
Waxxorian

Waxxorian

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 am

Gamewiz wrote:

Think we all should pick one server, pvp and rp on it, and if some of us want republic we split up in halfs. Set the standerd right off bat on how to get along and be friendly. Plus if we so happen what a Empire or Republic, we have the choose to make a toon in the other guild. If would work out perfect. Maybe make a rp guild, raiding guild/pvp guild, on both faction.. Thats my thoughts.. Servers and Allegiances... 712499
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 5:35 am

I believe we should definately not split up too much. Sure we can separate for RP and non-RP servers, as well as PvP and non-PvP (or limited PvP to be more exact) servers, but those should go without saying.

Personally I want to play on either a RP or a RP-PvP server, and that's where my opinion comes in. This is also where you (the OP) seems to be a little confused. I just want to state that RP and PvP are not mutually exclusive.

If there are people here that are not interested in RP but have enough respect and tollerance to accept it happening, and maybe try to act a bit more in character (it may be too much to ask for IC-ness, but that's the core of RP), then I don't see why we couldn't all play on a RP server. - But assuming not everyone fits on a RP server, we're going to split up anyway, going to a server you belong on is ofcourse also a sign of respect.

I love to be able to PvP when the situation calls for it, but the opposing faction members do play a role there. If you don't have the mutual respect of and for the opposing faction, then PvP won't be nearly as fun. In that case I don't want to play on a PvP server.

However, if you do have the mutual respect, you will be able to have great PvP events. You meet an enemy and you can talk things, and leave without ever fighting (depending on how things go).

Respect for the enemy is just as (if not moreso) important as respect for the ally.

Hopefully we'll be allowed to play both factions on the same server, that way this becomes a non-issue. Actually not being allowed to can severely cripple our ability to set up PvP events. What is players A and D wants to PvP as republic and player B and C as empire, the next day they want to all play the other side, the one after that A and B are republic and C and D are empire... it'd be a mess and seeing as we already have a lot of interested people in respect it'd be too many servers to maintain for bioWare to allow every possibility (not even talking about releveling countless characters on each server).
Back to top Go down
Finiffa

Finiffa

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am

I have been avoiding PVP-severs in my last MMO's because of the griefer-attitude on most of them.
If we can form a good community I would not mind joining a PVP server tho I am more of a PVE person.

I think choosing a RP-server (be it PVE or PVP) would be good since in my experience those already have better communities then other servers. I do not like enforced RP, I am more a RP-lite person, but in general I like a bit of RP.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:47 am

I am 100% sure that we will have 2 guilds (The CRAZIES guilds) at launch...

Organizing the factional guilds in here would be a great start. "Ok, all the light guilds over here". Its like picking teams, hehe. The cool thing, you can be on EITHER team out of this forum. Even go back and forth! I will create both my initial toons at launch on both sides. Due to guild vote, we're starting Imperial/Sith. That does'nt mean we all can't jump to our Republic/ light toons, and help out someone from another light guild that needs help. In sumnation, I think Ty/ Selv', if you could start a topic of light/ dark, guild/ player organization. That would help immensely...

Here's another pertinent question. I think we could also have an "open channel" in-game, via a "RiG Ventrillo channel". Maybe just for guild leaders to communicate outside the "light/ dark" IG initially. Imagine actually coordinating PvP battles! And, for the RPer's and PvEer's, the same thing. A RiG Vent' channel for organizing player events, cantina pub crawls, etc (yes, we did those, hehe) In sumnation again, POC in-game for RiG forum members to better coordinate IG events...

As far as servers, I really hope we all jump into the same one. That may not be a possibility due to gameplay styles, I know.

Just my 2 credits worth...
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 am

I feel like adding, if they do deside to split us up into PvP - PvE servers, I'd have no other choice but to roll on a PvP server. It is a war in this I don't wanna miss. Another question; how many of you will be on the US/EU servers?
Back to top Go down
Finiffa

Finiffa

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Selven wrote:
I feel like adding, if they do deside to split us up into PvP - PvE servers, I'd have no other choice but to roll on a PvP server. It is a war in this I don't wanna miss. Another question; how many of you will be on the US/EU servers?

I live in Europe, EU server would suit me best. I wouldnt mind playing on a US server BUT timezone differences will make it difficult I fear. For example, I like raiding, but if most of the server sleeps during my playtime then I won't be able to play.
Back to top Go down
Zepour

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 pm

I prefer RP servers because of better overall community (at least to my experience), but I'd have no problem playing on a regular PvE realm. PvP is less interesting for me since I can't PvP my way out of a paper bag; I'm a PvE player by heart. But I wouldn't mind at least to try despite being at the bottom of the food chain.

I plan to play on EU servers since I live in Europe and the time difference to East-coast US servers would be too large. Yeah, sleep > TOR, at least at my age. *grins*
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 pm

I have actually always played on an East Coast server, despite being in England, and never really noticed much if any of an issue tbh? Depends on how far east you are though I suppose Smile

Though I am a bit of a late night player, hehe, sleep is over rated if you ask me, haha Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Gorath in SWG was the unofficial German server. Being a dj, I have laaate nights. So, time is not a concern at all. Like I said, I hope most/ all of us hit the same server...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Selven wrote:

I'll be on a US server seeing as it's where I'm located and my family hours/friend hours all coincide with EST more or less.
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Oooh... never thought about the server in terms of WHERE it is... The last thing we want is to gimp people with lag. I'm on the west coast of the US... I've handled being on East coast servers, but anything in Europe and I'm pretty much screwed unless TORs servers are freaking amazing.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Gamewiz wrote:
Oooh... never thought about the server in terms of WHERE it is... The last thing we want is to gimp people with lag. I'm on the west coast of the US... I've handled being on East coast servers, but anything in Europe and I'm pretty much screwed unless TORs servers are freaking amazing.

I've no idea how the servers will be in TOR, but I've always played on US servers in every MMO I've been in. (in SWG I had my home in an EU server, but played lots on US servers, too) Never had an issue with it and seeing as I'm usually playing when most of Europe is asleep, I found it to be perfect!

Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I don't care much about geographical location, lag is not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. So I'll play where the rest of us go, unless it's really laggy for some reason. Also on the US servers the probability of people actually typing english, I don't like it when the server language is english and I keep running into people using anything but english (which doesn't help to create respect).

I'm a little skeptical about advertising server locations. On the one side it helps avoid lag in crappy games, but on the other side it causes lag by putting a large percentage of the server population in the same timezone. And that in turn also causes the servers to feel dead the rest of the time.

I'm in Europe, so in theory those servers should be better... in theory.
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Selven wrote:
Gamewiz wrote:

I've no idea how the servers will be in TOR, but I've always played on US servers in every MMO I've been in. (in SWG I had my home in an EU server, but played lots on US servers, too) Never had an issue with it and seeing as I'm usually playing when most of Europe is asleep, I found it to be perfect!

Maybe I've just gotten unlucky then... Although now I've upgraded my internet so it might be better now. Ultimately I'll go where everyone else wants to... as long as it's not a PvE server UNLESS that PvE server follows WAR's core server rules and has open-world PvP "areas" in each zone. That was still fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Gamewiz in San Dog!

I lived in PB until late 2007. Miss the weather/ beach/ eye candy...haha

Head down to Jimmy Loves (bar) on 5th in the gaslamp, and tell Dj Spin to buy you a beer from Schwen! (he's my sons godfather, hehe) I Dj'd with him at Moose Magillycuddies (now the Marble room Sad..), and Typhoon Saloon on Garnet in PB...

I was just out there in July dj'n a wedding...miss the Diego....
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Schwendo wrote:
Gamewiz in San Dog!

I lived in PB until late 2007. Miss the weather/ beach/ eye candy...haha

Head down to Jimmy Loves (bar) on 5th in the gaslamp, and tell Dj Spin to buy you a beer from Schwen! (he's my sons godfather, hehe) I Dj'd with him at Moose Magillycuddies (now the Marble room Sad..), and Typhoon Saloon on Garnet in PB...

I was just out there in July dj'n a wedding...miss the Diego....

Haha, nice! I will do that! Smile Jimmy Loves is a great place.
Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Odium

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Yeah, going to have to toss in my vote for a server that has PvP turned "on." The nice part about this is that, even if we have to designate a "main" RiG server and some secondary ones, we should still be able to organize events together via the forums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servers and Allegiances...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com