The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Servers and Allegiances...

Go down 
+24
Grome
Stryklone
Dresgar
Crebain
Coldhart
Aldemarran
ShavedEwok
Redriot
WesleyP.
vlak
Lugaidh
Baelyrn
SandsS
Zepour
Schwendo
Finiffa
Sylrah
Waxxorian
azarhal
Selven
Kai-Sun
Variable
Ty-Odi
Gamewiz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Waxxorian

Waxxorian

Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 pm

I live in us, but will try any server that we are starting at. Long as latency isnt a issue, and TOR servers are good.. Im down for whatever long its a pvp server. I dont mind roleplay i used to hate it, but learned to like it in SWG from a old friend. Was in a guild called KOTOR on bria and was pretty fun. We had Jedi trials and other stuff. So Darka im thinking on my Jedi and Trooper being in ur guild Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 780832
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm EST as well.

Although, server timezone isn't that much important if we get lots of participant in the respect community, we should have enough to fill 24 hours.
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm in TX, so East Coast or West Coast is about the same to me Smile
Back to top Go down
Baelyrn

Baelyrn

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 pm

I've tried playing on a PVP server on a few games, but I soon noticed it's just not for me. In fact if I had a choice, I would be playing on a server with no chance for even optional PVP. I just always felt that would make a better community on a server.

My dislike for open PVP probably comes from the fact that I'm a soloer. If I have to rely on someone else to come and help me when I get into trouble, the game just wont be any fun. I suppose it's not very MMO-like to think like that, but that's the way I am. It's not that I'm an antisocial person, I'm usually friendly and I help people if I can. Even though I play alone, I do like to talk to people in guild chat.

Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Baelyrn wrote:
I've tried playing on a PVP server on a few games, but I soon noticed it's just not for me. In fact if I had a choice, I would be playing on a server with no chance for even optional PVP. I just always felt that would make a better community on a server.

My dislike for open PVP probably comes from the fact that I'm a soloer. If I have to rely on someone else to come and help me when I get into trouble, the game just wont be any fun. I suppose it's not very MMO-like to think like that, but that's the way I am. It's not that I'm an antisocial person, I'm usually friendly and I help people if I can. Even though I play alone, I do like to talk to people in guild chat.

I understand your concern and personally I've shied away from PvP servers too. Except from SWG where we had no such thing. Any server you could go overt or not, leaving it up to you if you wanted to fight other players or not. I'm really hoping TOR will have the same.

With that said, if that's not happening, I'm probably starting on a PvP server since the majority of the R.i.Gs seem to prefer that. And if we make enough of an impact on a server, I'm thinking ganking and such will be a minor issue.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Baelyrn wrote:

Oh, another soloer. I'm not that much of a grouper myself, although I love to help people in MMOs and joining a "PUG" once in a while. I think there is quite a few people who aren't fans of always walking around with an army, but do enjoy Open PvP on R.I.G. . I'm one of them.

If we get the community going, open PvP will probably be a lot better too and we still don't know what "rules" TOR will have. Some interview seems to suggest a flag system with limitations (can't attack lower level players, etc), while lots of people expect segregated servers.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 pm

I think the community will help a good bit.

I'm still torn on a PVE or PVP ruleset (RP or not,) should it be separated (and I think it will,) mostly because some of my guildies (including me...I've killed almost 200k people in WoW...) love pvp, but some of my close friends are in for other reasons and don't want to be bothered should they not want to be.

I like to think the strong community would be a great help on either server for Open PVP, cause you'd KNOW the people on the other faction already, and it'd be GREAT fun to match up and kick back afterward and talk about it.

I know we'll probably land on an RP server cause there's quite a few people out of guild on the TOR forums I want to play with that plan on rolling on those, but PVP/PVE is up in the air depending on what my individual guidlies want.

I'd be fine with either, but I guess that's a thing for my guild to decide really. I wouldn't want to miss out playing with some of you, so I'm sure I'll have characters across multiple realms should I need to Razz
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Selven wrote:

I understand your concern and personally I've shied away from PvP servers too. Except from SWG where we had no such thing. Any server you could go overt or not, leaving it up to you if you wanted to fight other players or not. I'm really hoping TOR will have the same.

With that said, if that's not happening, I'm probably starting on a PvP server since the majority of the R.i.Gs seem to prefer that. And if we make enough of an impact on a server, I'm thinking ganking and such will be a minor issue.

PVP on used to be awesome, and its my hope we can rebuild something like that, a real fun place to just go and fight, learn, and teach.

Most people from my experience shy away from PVP because they tend to fail to understand how to actually use their class properly, and when they try it, its a horrible place to learn in, people belittle you, taunt you, and generally make it a miserable place to be.

It never used to be like that, it really didn't.

I actually remember in Theed on Naboo, in SWG, a huge amount of people were fighting all over the place, and one guy beat me down, and badly too, lol, he did not deathblow me though, instead he told his mates to move on, and sent me a message asking if i was new to PVP?

I wasn't but I was in SWG, I had shied away from it a little until that point, and he was so cool, he just kept dueling me, and as he had a very similar skill set to me, we were both melee defense stackers, he told me how to use my class better, and after a while i began to get it. We spared for a while, and became good mates, he even changed faction to become Imperial in fact, and I still keep in contact with him now, top guy.

But that was all it took, suddenly I knew my class, I knew the basics, and my mate helped me get better, I was hooked.

And all the way through it, it was done with respect.

If that respect had remained in PVP I would stil be doing it to this day, that is my hope with this group, we make that envirnoment for people once more, introduce them to it, help them, make it fun, I promise you, in that environment even the most anti-PVP person will enjoy themselves, it may not become their main play style, but they will enjoy it, especially group events and things, it would just be a laugh, who cares if you whipe out? Smile I know I never did, hehe, just as well.....it happened a LOT! hahahah
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 4:00 am

Selven wrote:
Baelyrn wrote:

I understand your trepidation with pvp but I'm here to tell you from a fella that shied away from pvp at first, if you have a bunch of friends pvping together, and on vent, you can really dominate most BGs because the average pvp type isn't a team player and when faced with a team of friends who communicate well with each other the other team usually ends up using the "every man for himself" strategy in the face of the onslaught.

It's super fun!! I did LOADS of guild BG runs on WoW and we ALWAYS dominated due to our ability to work together.
Back to top Go down
vlak

vlak

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 9:13 am

Perhaps a Poll to see where everyone stands...

Vlak
Back to top Go down
http://myveterans.org
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 am

vlak wrote:

Vlak

Well, I was thinking that while a poll is good to see where everyone stands, but also that it may be too early. As time passes the RIG community will grow, and not only that. Discussions can lead to opinions forming/changing on the ideal servers for each single member individually.

A poll can still be informative, but if we make one right now I feel it should be treated as a preliminar one, to be restarted close to launch. It can also be a great tool to further discussion.

I believe the original post can be edited to include one? At least that would eliminate the need for a new thread. Just make sure to add at least the 4 options and probably best to add partial options for the undecided. Also, PvE isn't really a good name, because regular servers will allow PvP, just with the option to not participate.

PvP and RP are not and never will be mutually exclusive, so a poll should have a RP-PvP vote option as well as a regular RP option, and probably an undecided RP option... with the similar options for non-RP options... maybe even undecided options for PvP and non-PvP... and a ninth option for fully undecided doesn't hurt either.
Back to top Go down
WesleyP.

WesleyP.

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Even if I'm not THAT pvp fan, I normally choose a pvp server. Just for the thrill. bounce
About the physicall location of the server, well, i see it Ty's way, Sleep is overrated, so my main playtime would always cross the us-happy hour. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldPipes
Redriot

Redriot

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Draven
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:33 am

Selven wrote:
I feel like adding, if they do deside to split us up into PvP - PvE servers, I'd have no other choice but to roll on a PvP server. It is a war in this I don't wanna miss. Another question; how many of you will be on the US/EU servers?
Im us eastern standerd time, and agree on a pvp server, think it would offer more fun for all of us. Long ppl can have fun with it all that matters. Just let me know what game plan is Im down.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:27 pm

I think we are all just waiting to se what the hell they plan for the servers...

I hope its a format that we can all get into the same server. What a blast that would be!. I understand, we have PvP...PvE...RP...knuckleheads...goofballs (me)...all trying to find a "home"...I seriously think PvP with be the biggest hurdle....not everyone wants to PvP....Roleplaying?...if we have 150-200 RiG crew/guilds going into the same server, then, I think we can RP on whatever server we choose! hehe...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 pm

I agree with Schwendo, it basically seems that the break point is the PVP and PVE split, everything else is easily negotiable, because they don't really change the rule sets at all like those two tags. RP happens regardless of it's an RP server, and being on an RP server doesn't really mean you have to RP. So that tag, while useful to collect RP minded people, doesn't really change how people play overall.

However, I still don't really see it as a problem, everyone here is awesome, and I have no doubt we'll easily sort it out.

I know many if not all of us will have alts, so should we have to split on two servers slightly (even though it'd be majority on one having mains then another,) it still accomplishes what we're going for because we're always together and we have these forums.

But again, I don't foresee any problems really!
Back to top Go down
ShavedEwok

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Tricky question to answer as it would mainly depend on what server structures BioWare go for.

While there have been hints (dev interviews etc) that there will be different server types (PvP, PvE etc) there have also been suggestions from the devs that open world PvP might not be in the game by launch... in which case all PvP would probably be limited to the Warzone areas initially. If this is the case, then it's a factor PvP:ers may consider.

Anyway, too little info atm IMO. But I'm sure it will all clear up once we know more.

Personally, I'm not really into RP, so it'll most likely be a PvP server for me.

US or EU? I don't know. If the majority of my favorite peeps are US based and go for a US server, then I might consider playing on a US server in spite of me being an EU guy. Provided that's even an option of course.

Cheers

SE
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 pm

I remember seeing the strange Open World PvP comment by, I think it was, James Ohlen. Sounded like they were trying a system for it, but didn't like the result. At the same time, there was another interview where they made it looks like it was already implemented and running.

These interviews gave me the impression that official PvP servers won't exist though, the system they want will be put on all servers (it's consensual). They can't created them a few months after launch, people won't like it, for various reasons.

Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm

So probably a flagging system, where people can opt in for PvP at will.

Or PvP zones, contested zones if you will.

Or rather Republic, Imperial, Contested and Neutral zones, where:
  • Republic : Republic characters have the option to flag for PvP, while Imperial characters are flagged;
  • Imperial : Imperial characters have the option to flag for PvP, while Republic characters are flagged;
  • Contested : Everyone is flagged for PvP;
  • Neutral : Noone is flagged, but have the option to flag themselves.

This would be the friendliest to people that are not certain if they want to PvP, so they can choose to when they want. Unfortunately it leaves the annoying immatures safe to stalk people and act annoyingly (jumping around like bunnies on crack).
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:55 pm

I haven't encountered a game where PvP servers allowed you to roll cross-faction on the same server. How does this factor into our discussion? Or do we know for certain that it will be possible?
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Aldemarran wrote:
I haven't encountered a game where PvP servers allowed you to roll cross-faction on the same server. How does this factor into our discussion? Or do we know for certain that it will be possible?

Nothing is certain. It's wishful thinking, but that design decision is only useful if factions must "hide" things from the other side. Example: PvP invasion plans to capture something. If these type of things don't exist in TOR, not point in having the limitation. It just force people to have characters on 2 different servers.

Back to top Go down
ShavedEwok

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Aldemarran wrote:

As azarhal pointed out, we don't know atm.

There have been photos from hands-on playing events (GamesCom I think?) which seem to indicate there's a total of 8 character slots, but nothing showing any possible cross-faction options.

Cheers

SE
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Sylrah wrote:
vlak wrote:

Vlak

Well, I was thinking that while a poll is good to see where everyone stands, but also that it may be too early. As time passes the RIG community will grow, and not only that. Discussions can lead to opinions forming/changing on the ideal servers for each single member individually.

A poll can still be informative, but if we make one right now I feel it should be treated as a preliminar one, to be restarted close to launch. It can also be a great tool to further discussion.

I believe the original post can be edited to include one? At least that would eliminate the need for a new thread. Just make sure to add at least the 4 options and probably best to add partial options for the undecided. Also, PvE isn't really a good name, because regular servers will allow PvP, just with the option to not participate.

PvP and RP are not and never will be mutually exclusive, so a poll should have a RP-PvP vote option as well as a regular RP option, and probably an undecided RP option... with the similar options for non-RP options... maybe even undecided options for PvP and non-PvP... and a ninth option for fully undecided doesn't hurt either.

I agree. It's good discussion right now, but until we know the server types and their rulesets, the poll would be very inconclusive. A poll to determine where RiG will get setup will be a great idea once we have more solid information on the servers.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I agree with you Wiz' 100%..once the info is dropped, we can go about "figuring out" all the server stuff...
Back to top Go down
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Woot! Schwen! You got a blue box! Grats!
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Well one thing to concider...with the PvP vid and discussion, it looks like we're going to have instanced PvP action. I really prefer a PvE server with the option to go PvP so I'm not getting gank continuously, while questing, by a group that thinks it's hilarious to fight 5 on 1 or have someone 20 levels above me one shot me(I'm all for PvP, even getting caught by someone and fighting as long as it's fairly even). Hopefuly we can flag ourselves at any time with a typed command and hopefuly the instanced PvP action is along the lines of WoW's and other closely related games.

So there's my vote...

PvE server with plenty of opportunity to compete in instanced PvP and/or flag at will and fight in the open world.
RP...N/A Not really into heavy RP. Don't get me wrong. Not knocking it. I've just never been big into it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servers and Allegiances...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com