The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping Empty
PostSubject: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am

Not that kind of Camping

One of the greatest social elements in MMOs was Star Wars Galaxies Camping system, while it did have some benefits to healing and performing, it was a portable social hub, able to be placed out in the wilds by players.
Camps would exist for a limited amount of time, then vanish with out effect on world or game.
They were player assembled and player placed.

Camps offered a unique way to bond, by being a portable social hub for players. It was a beacon, a place of rest and relaxation after a nights guild hunt.
The biggest question would be how would something like that fit with the game direction TOR has, how do you make it heroic?

First a different name
Base of Operations
Every good hero has a base of operations, and this is your portable one.

The Use?
You could offer some incentives to use it, SWG had a very small healing bonus to wounds, while not really needed. The idea is to provide a little something for players to relax around, sure you could sit on the ground but its not the same
It was a social experience, travellers on long journeys would stop by if they saw a camp in the distance, it expanded your social circle, often lead ti new friends or new adventures.
You could sit there and shoot the breeze like you would in the cantinas and star ports.

How do we get it to fit in with TOR?
Give it more use aside from the social element, it could operate as a rally point for a raid, a gathering spot for players on a mission, or the planning spot for the attack on the rival factions city. There is no need for the basic tent and chair design for the "camp" you can design it to look and fit with what you want, as long as the concept is still the same
You could even go as far as having customisable options for different types

Why a Base of Operations/Camping for TOR?
Social Elements in games tend to get over looked, and something like this adds a lot to it, it is a very social experience, and these games are about people, you can mould and curb it to fit the type of game you are going for too.
Its nothing dramatic, its nothing game changing, its not going to over haul the systems and cause issues. Its a feature that effects no one but those who use it.

Im sure many will look at this as someone looking back through rose tinted glasses, and you could say that, I have always had a soft spot for social elements in gaming, and feel that many MMOs have moved away from the people aspect so to speak.
Its a fun little addition that i feel would enhance the game for every, you can still be a hero, you can still save the galaxy, and you can still do it while you and some good friends sit around on some hillside overlooking a valley with a great view shooting the breeze after a few hours of guild hunting or pvp.

Comments, thoughts, support or concerns welcome
Smile

Taken From
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4988407
Back to top Go down
Zepour

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 am

A portable base of operations with Twi'lek dancers? Gief!

On a more serious note, I support implementation of various mechanisms which would increase the social aspect of SW:tOR. Sadly, I feel that MMOs sometimes tend to try to diminish this experience. In WoW (I'm not sure, is this word allowed here? Smile ), instance runs via the Dungeon Finder system were the most most anti-social thing I'd ever done in Azeroth. If Blizz replaced half of the group with NPCs, nobody would even notice.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 10:40 am

I loved camping in SWG, so many fond memories of us all out on Dath hunting in mass groups Smile

Man some very funny times, like running into a pack of Rancors or Nightsisters and kitting them into camp where everyone was sitting around nattering and not paying attention!! haha Smile

Brilliant fun Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Redriot

Redriot

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Draven
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Ty-Odi wrote:
I loved camping in SWG, so many fond memories of us all out on Dath hunting in mass groups Smile

Man some very funny times, like running into a pack of Rancors or Nightsisters and kitting them into camp where everyone was sitting around nattering and not paying attention!! haha Smile

Brilliant fun Smile
Agree was good times in SWG, Krayt camping was so fun. It changed my gaming forever being able to get into a social group, and kick it together in open world pve. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Great idea... I really can't think of anything that I don't like about this idea. I really hope they pick it up at some point!
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 4:28 am

well it will be interesting, just something i have always enjoyed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping   A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A "Base of Operations" - or call it Heroic Camping
Page 1 of 1