The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragon Age II

Go down 
+10
archifikos
Schwendo
Dresgar
Mongo
Vhayl Una
azarhal
Godric_Barbarosa
Selven
Aldemarran
Kai-Sun
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

Dragon Age II - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 10:59 pm

I think I also enjoyed Carver's overall character as a counter to my Hawke. Especially if you take Anders to the Deep Roads and get to have Carver later on in the game.

As for Dragon Age vs Dragon Age 2, something just makes me feel like I enjoyed the first a bit more. I loved Dragon Age 2 as well, but I'd have to say I like DA:O better. Then again, I think DA:O was in development for a hell of a lot more time then most other Bioware projects. I remember hearing about it just after Jade Empire shipped, which was another awesome game. Really wish they'd revisit that world, was quite fun and downright beautiful at times. I guess, in the long run, I don't feel like the "big" important dilemma's where as problematic for me to decide in this one, Origins had so many branching ending paths and things you could change it was great, and I was really torn over some of the decisions.

Still enjoyable as a Warrior so far, but I do think I enjoyed playing as a mage more. Oh well, I know which path to take when I'm fretting over save game imports into 3.

Few things I am curious about now, and hope to maybe learn more about in DA3 are where the Warden went, and why Hawke left/where he went after leaving Kirkwall (depending on your ending.) Leliana talking with Cassandra makes it sound like there's something both of them know about the impending events. Also, Sandal. Enchantment!!! Favorite character by FAR, besides enjoying Flemeth. Then again, I enjoy her voice actor a hell of a lot, Kate Mulgrew is great. I'd really be interested to see if Bioware does anything more with Sandal, however, seeing as he's somewhat unique (in more ways then one) and Bodahn isn't his birth father. Not sure it's related, but obviously wondering what exactly Lyrium is, seeing as that Idol drove Bertrand insane...he said he her a voice or a song...just like the Darkspawn claimed to when you play Awakening. Or, as I do often, I could just be looking too far into it.

And at last, any character combos or talents you really enjoyed? Overall playtime? Any specific part of the game you really enjoyed?

Took me 41 hours to beat my original playthrough, think I made it to level 23. I really liked the quest Haunted with Varric, think it was well done and was glad they avoided killing the atmosphere with unneeded combat. Few more surprises like losing your mother, and even though that...somehow felt somewhat cheesy for some reason to me, still enjoyed the overall story of loss for Hawke.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 am

First playthrough was ~31 hours for me, level 24½ (and I know I missed stuff).

Combos/Talents:
  • Warriors putting creatures in staggered state + Fist of the Maker...it sound like you are breaking glass.
  • I also loved Gravity Well + Pull of the Abyss + Fist of the Maker + Hail of Arrows to take out big groups of enemies. I waited before taking Gravity Well, didn't seems that much useful until I tried it and Pull of the Abyss is just too funny on humanoids.
  • Rock Armor looks cool

I didn't use my companions enough to learn the other abilities...yet. Although, I like backstab so far with a rogue.

Spoilers below...

My Carver joined the Templar (I didn't bring him in the deep road).

Fave quests: Varric's quests (Haunted and the beginning of the one before it), Aveline's quests (mostly Long Road) and the quests chain about the Dreamer Elf. I also liked the serial killer quest chain. And lots of stuff was "cheesy", but I love cheese (Zombies are real winner in this category). Actually, I think that was a reference to something, there's a lot of them in the game, like the Hang Man.

Plot:

Casandra/Leliana, I think that they were mostly trying to stop a war between the Zealots/Chantry/Magi, considering that the Champion was related to the events, they probably hoped he could help stop it. As for the Champion/Warden, David Gaider said in the official forum that they are gone (as in unreachable). Some people suggested Flemeth took them (the old scary lady like Sandal and Bertrand would say...)

As for DA3.
  • Sandal is moving to the Orlesians Imperial court in Val Royeaux.
  • That's also where the Grand Cathedral of the Chantry is, where the Divine live, and where crazy lyrium addicted Templars retire.
  • Leliana works for the Divine and so does all the Seekers. They are not Templars.
  • Leliana show up at the end of DA2 regardless if you killed her in DA:O. Those Ashes were magical though...
  • The Divine is close to death and have no heir
  • There is a Golem merchant who says that the Stone is in Orlais (related to the Dwarves).
  • Orlais is apparently on the verge of starting a war with Ferelden (again).
  • Morrigan moved to Orlais in some of DA:O ending (well a woman looking like here was seen there).
  • Old God baby is canon (or will be canon and more than 9 years old in DA3).
  • Sandal made a prophecy about magic coming back...

The next game will be in Orlais in the middle of a war between Mage Killers, Mage and the Chantry. In a way I hope that Casandra and Leliana come back in DA3, probably as companions, with maybe some from DA2 (well among the ones that can't die), with a new protagonist.

About Lyrium, everybody that hear the song (Darkspawn, Warden, Bertrand, Varric, etc), eat/touched pure Lyrium. The Darkspawn said that they go toward the Old Ones trying to get perfection, but they corrupt them. Which mean that Lyrium is connected to dragons. My current idea is that Lyrium is dragon poo.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 am

Now that I remember it, I do recall that golem merchant mentioning the Stone, but I didn't hear the entire dialogue. Never heard of the mention of any ending with Morrigan moving to Orlais, always say that in Lelianna's ending. Didn't realize the Divine was dying.

And yeah, Sandal's prophecy is ""One day the magic will come back. all of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part and the skies will open wide. When he rises, everyone will see" Wonder if he's mentioning the God baby. As for Hawke and the Warden being gone, I'd hope they'd either make cameo's or at least have something to do with Dragon Age 3...though I can somewhat see how that might be a double edged sword if not handled correctly.

Bioware has said, with the understanding that it can change, that they want Casandra to be a big part in DA3. What that means for the player is uncertain, and can obviously change as they develop it. I'd like to see her back, as she obviously is a big part of the story from here on out, or should be.

In any case, plot has a lot of potential, and I really hope DA3 is a robust game if they decide to make it the last entry in the Dragon Age series.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 am

DA3 won't be the last entry, unless it tank and then I think they will just wait more years before releasing the next one in that cases...They still have ~60 years to cover. Wink Dragon Age was always about being a franchise with each game being "self contained".

As for the Morrigan I'm talking about this epilogue:
Quote :
Morrigan leaves the party the night before the final battle when the Warden refuses her offer. She is later seen traveling through the Frostback Mountains alone. Several years later, tales out of Orlais said that a strange dark-haired mage had insinuated herself into the empress's court .(Male PC must not engage in romance with Morrigan for this to trigger).

It goes against canon Old God Baby, but match with all the hints about Orlais. So Old God Baby might not be required after all (yes!).

Also, the Divine isn't exactly dying, she's just very old, which usually mean "I'm going to die before the next game start". It is mentioned somewhere in DA2.

Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 am

Ah well, as for assuming it ended with number 3, Mass Effect seems to be doing that and I was just drawing a parallel. Here's hoping for more Smile

I hadn't seen that epilogue, mostly cause I always romanced Morrigan. It does share your Orlais ideas though, but I still think the god baby might be made canon. Mostly due to Witch Hunt existing and probably being canon, one way or another.

I didn't mean to imply the Divine was dying of anything other then just being an old lady, and I'll have to pay more attention this time through the game, see what other fun tidbits I can find.

Think only thing I'd want are some better robe graphics and not so many reused designs, I looked the same all the way till I got the champions mage gear.

Back to top Go down
Mli

Mli

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 am

My mage play through, lvl 21, took 25 hours and I missed a lot of things. I had carver join the templars and did the mage ending. I even missed Isabella Sad hence I couldn’t do the book thingy quests and had to kill al the Qunari in the end of Act 2.

My warrior play through is almost done I am going to see the chantry blowing up cut scene now. Cant remember what level I am but I think its 21 or 22 missed some things again … bah … I need to pay more attention but I have slacked down so much when playing its unbelievable. I don’t know how much playtime I got on the war I have to look it up but im guessing 20-25h. This play though I manage to romance Merril with out even wanting to I wanted Isabella damn. I got Merril to full rival and in the end she regretted everything that happened because of her and smashed that mirror of hers. I can’t remember her doing that on my first play through when she was full on friendship but maybe I just missed talk to her al the way.

On my first play through when I sided with mages I lost Fenris (didn’t have Sebastian or Isabella so don’t know about them) and with the warrior I just fast phased and to see what chars you lose for the templar ending and I had to choose between killing Anders or losing Sebastian, this might be affected by Friendship/rival status I don’t know. I will probably do the templar ending with the warrior just to have done it.

For tactics I try staggering the mobs and have the rouges finish them off. And anyone else think the rouge dps is silly high? Razz

I feel an urge to play DA:O and Awakenings again its been to long and I don’t remember so much. That mirror Merril is trying to rebuild is it not the one from the Dalish elf origin story in DA:O?

When I’m done with the warrior I will make a new mage maybe even replay DA:O/A. And I really want an expansion before DA 3 Smile

I really like how the game story is being told by Varric to the seeker, must say that Bioware really did good on this story telling.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:09 pm

In my second playthrough, I'm encountering quick save and conversation bugs. I also have FPS slowdown. I didn't have any of this in my first playthrough. Really annoying. I'm thinking of re-installing. I also tried the beta patch...it only made things worst. Argh!

Merrill can smash the mirror? Maybe you didn't hit the bug? She's bugged, but it might be possible she does that if Rival only.

Mli wrote:
That mirror Merril is trying to rebuild is it not the one from the Dalish elf origin story in DA:O?

It's the same Dalish clan, so yes, the same mirror. You actually get to meet Merrill in the Dalish Elf origin story.

As for the Companions and the ending, from what I gathered MAJOR SPOILERS:
without friend/rival Companions side with:
Templar: Fenris, Aveline, Sebastian (+Carver)
Mages: Anders, Merrill (+Bethany)
Don't care: Varric, Isabella
On top of that, Sebastian will side with the Templars if you don't kill Anders and Fenris might be killed by you when he join the Templars (not sure of the prerequisites).

Can die through the game: Isabella, Anders, Bethany/Carver, Fenris.
Unkillable: Merrill, Varric, Aveline and Sebastian (I'm 100% sure of Varric and Aveline, not for the other two)
Optional companions: Isabella, Sebastian and Fenris
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Spoilers n such

Anders and Bethany/Carver are the only characters the game makes you choose their fate directly. Anders blows up the chantry regardless of if you do his quest called "Justice" and you are going to lose either Sebastian or Anders at that plot point when you have to choose. Either Anders dies, or Sebastian leaves and vows vengeance.

One child obviously dies to the ogre, but the other Hawke kid will either leave you for the Templars (Carver)/ Get pulled into the Circle (Bethany) or if you take either into the Deep Roads they will die from the taint UNLESS you have Anders with you, then the affected sibling can become a Gray Warden and you lose them for most of the game till they come back near the end. You can still have them die even with Anders present, I believe, should you choose.

Fenris will side with the mages after his initial defection if you ask him to come back and have uber high friendship...not sure how high exactly, but mine was full friend or just shy of it.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Spoilers...

Fenris never defected in my playthrough despite joining the magi and I wasn't romancing him and he was full friend. In fact, he was the none mage that "argued" the less about it. I found it really weird.

You can also choose Isabela fate too, but it require you to have her still in your party in act 2 (aka she must no run off with the book) and for you to give her and the book to the Arishok. In that version, the Qunari leave without a final fight.
Back to top Go down
Mli

Mli

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 pm

More spoilers

azarhal wrote:

You can also choose Isabela fate too, but it require you to have her still in your party in act 2 (aka she must no run off with the book) and for you to give her and the book to the Arishok. In that version, the Qunari leave without a final fight.

Did this with my warrior and i had to fight the Arishok in singel combat after that the Qunari left.

Just did the Templar ending it was some what the same outcome only different was that Hawk get to be ruler for a time in the end of the storytelling. The play through took 21h 51mins and i ended up with lvl 23. Still an mage revulution and i have to agree with the "feels right to be mage" comments.

I think al chars will stick with you if you max out friend/rival since Merril stayed with me even tho i did the templar ending. I guess if i would have had Sebastian at max rival/friend he would go with mage ending or not demand the death of Anders.

Now I'am abit torn wether i shell make a new mage or replay some DA:O/A.

I have started to have more frequent game feezes in random places playing cutsence and so on really anoying sometimes i have to restart the game. I do no know why i get this first i thought it was my computer overheating(have a laptop) but now I dont think thats it since i got it almost at teh start when i had not played for very long.

Edit: Installing DA:O now Smile
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Mli wrote:
More spoilers

azarhal wrote:

Did this with my warrior and i had to fight the Arishok in singel combat after that the Qunari left.

Some people on the official forum said that the Arishok left for Par Vollen too and they didn't need to fight him. They especially complains about being called the Champion despite not fighting him.

And the Hawke ending that I know exist are::
- Run for the woods
- Become Viscount for a wile
- Join Isabela on a new "pirate" ship

There might be others.

As for game freeze, apparently alt-tabbing once in a while help.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Only person you can't keep is Sebastian/Anders depending on your choice, assuming the Exiled Prince DLC is even installed.

Seen a few glitched quests or unused flags, I'm supposed to get a quest to find Nathaniel from Awakening but it doesn't trigger appropriately so I have to wait till they patch it. Same for one quest in act 3, but it's nothing major.

I think I missed a quest with Fenris, because I only had a conversation about him when I gave him the Tevinter sword, never got a personal quest from him in Act 3, but I had enough friendship to keep him in the end as a companion. Never used him though. Other then that, all companions will stay with you regardless of which side you pick, depending on your influence with them.

As for the Arishok, I don't really want to hand Isabela over so I usually get a high influence with her and make her turn the book in so I can duel the Arishok. Can suck solo as a mage, but it's doable. Feels like a Benny Hill moment though, due to having to frelling run around so much. Even on normal he hits for half of your HP at times, which blows.

Mii, I can't bring myself to do the Templar ending. I really need to for the achievements for fun, but I just always want to pick the mages, lol.

azarhal wrote:

And the Hawke ending that I know exist are::
- Run for the woods
- Become Viscount for a wile
- Join Isabela on a new "pirate" ship

There might be others.

As for game freeze, apparently alt-tabbing once in a while help.

I got the one where all the companions left and so did Hawke, and as for game freezing, I sometimes run into massive slowdown during voice cutscenes at random times where I have to alt-tab or ctrl+alt+del to get it to clear. I blame buggy coding that they'll probably patch.

Speaking of patches, seems odd they never put out patches for ME2. Conrad Verner's flag is always busted for everyone, no matter what their ME1 save said...he's always in the bar acting as if you picked the renegade options.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:36 am

I don't think that Bioware care that much about save game import bugs. ME2 to ME3 will probably be better, so is DA2 to DA3 (apparently DA2 saves have all the DA1 flags and keep the Warden's head morph).

Also, apparently Origins DLCs and Awakening cause problems with flags and not just the "importing".

The only cameo I had in the game was Leliana and Alistair (drunk in the Hang Man). Never saw Nathaniel either. Zevran is supposed to show up too (he was dead in my save), I created a save using the Origins save creator and imported that and now I have an Awakening related quest (Conspirators), that I didn't see the first time, despite importing an Awakening save.

Also, all my problem from yesterday are gone! I installed the official patches and everything is nickel now. I also re-installed DAO...

Yeah, the duel with the Arishock and a Mage require good old running around. Feel good to beat him though and see Cassandra going "I can't believe it".
Back to top Go down
Mli

Mli

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 am

azarhal wrote:

Some people on the official forum said that the Arishok left for Par Vollen too and they didn't need to fight him. They especially complains about being called the Champion despite not fighting him.

Maybe this is the "Earn the Respect of one of your enemies" achievement? I have missed that Exorcist and kill an Pride demon achievements, were are those?

I started an human mage in DA:O and I have just became a Gray Warden. But damn I have forgotten so much about that game and now I truly see that the DA 2 inventory and loot handling are huge upgrade. Also the voiced player char in DA 2 makes a lot better storytelling. When it comes to combat I don't know what I prefer yet. It feels like i have more control in DA:O but a lot action in DA 2. For example in DA 2 with the mage you kill kind of good with the staff but in DA:O you are toasted with out spells. Spell cooldown is a lot shorter in DA:O though. heh I never really thought about the fact that after combat your hp regenerates instantly in DA 2 and I'm very annoyed when it does not do that in DA:O.

In DA 2 i can only set my screen resolution to like 1280 x 780 or something like that? Is it my computer or the game that don't support higher?

For Zeveran I think he comes and help you in the end if you let him go in the quest for grabbing him. I took him to the ones looking for him and ended up killing lots of stuff.

The go out on a ship ending haven’t heard about that have to try it with my next mage. I guess its romance Isabella and let her trade documents for a ship in her quest together with mage ending.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 pm

For the Pride Demon achievement you need to finish the Awsomething Pride Unbound scrolls quest in Act 3.

I also restarted a small 20 minutes of DA:O. My impression is that DA:O feel more like an old fashioned point-to-click game, despite both game supporting point-to-click and both allowing you to pause and assign party commands. I think it's actually the graphics/animation that is responsible for that, it's the "clunkiness" that make it "old fashioned". The combat also lack animations variety in DA:O, I prefer special abilities to have special attacks. And not having to always put the rogues in the back of creatures is a major plus, you really had to micromanage them in DA:O (unless you used the Tactic mod that did it for you).

As for resolution, I'm playing both games in 1680x1050, might be your computer or video card.

The ship ending require you to have a specific conversation with Isabella in Act 2 and for you to select the right dialog choice. You don't need to romance her from what I understand, but you might need to have high friendship/rivalry.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Oddly, I didn't get the ship ending even though that's what I said I'd do, with Isabela. Full romance and friend.

"Earn the respect" achieve is granted if you are 100% truthful always to the Arishok, and never lie about anything.

Exorcist comes from clearing out the quest "Forbidden Knowledge." Never did finish that one myself.

My rogues in DA2 don't seem to seek out the back side of their enemies, only backstab puts them there, but often they either pull aggro or swap targets/run around screwing up the positioning.
Back to top Go down
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:04 pm

I think one of the biggest thing that makes DA:O feel more "point and click" is the lack of closing attacks. I did a lot of waiting for melee rogues to get to their targets in that game. In DA2 I can effectively run around the outside edge of combat picking off ranged attackers, its actually quite fun even when backstab is on cooldown because Hawke will leap into the target. It seems to keep a faster flow as well as being much more entertaining to watch.

In Summary: Yay DA2 Rogues! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Aldemarran wrote:
I think one of the biggest thing that makes DA:O feel more "point and click" is the lack of closing attacks.

That might be it. In DA2 you get "flashy" closing attacks, while in DA:O your melee party members might close in at turtle pace to the target.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 am

I need to correct myself. I missed a codex entry.

The Divine at the start of DA2 die in the first year of the game, she get replaced in year 3 (by probably another old lady). This new divine is somebody who helped Leliana in the past (and actually explain her new "job").
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age II   Dragon Age II - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon Age II
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3