The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?

Go down 
+14
Ty-Odi
Gamewiz
Coldhart
Velaxi
MorgonKara
Horeon
SandsS
Lugaidh
azarhal
Kai-Sun
Selven
Schwendo
Sylrah
Darka
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Gamewiz wrote:

Truthfully, what I've always loved doing is being the guy who helps out the newbies... I like being the guy who knows everything and anything about a game and can answer any question that someone might have.

I also loved stopping what I was doing and helping out someone with a quest that was lower than me, or coming to the aid of a town that was under attack.

So basically helping out the new guy, or the little guy. Smile

Yea, I liked being the lowbie hero, because I like giving back. I try not to coddle people, but I'm always there as a live resource for information, or a dictionary of sorts should they need it.

And a shield from the ignorant pricks that'd prey on them because they have no soul.

Gamewiz wrote:

If I'm sitting in Stormwind and someone whispers me, "ned water", I'm gonna ignore you. Those who took 3 extra seconds out of their day to give me the common courtesy of saying, "Hey, would you please be able to make me some water?" I was happy to help out! It's all in how you ask and how polite you are.[/color]

This is spades. It really doesn't take that much longer to type out something nice, a fully formed sentence is wonderful.

Not,

"lol why u not give water?"
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Gamewiz wrote:
Agreed. Smile Obviously I'll only help those that want it or request it, and are actually sincere about it.

That and politeness has alot to do with how much I help you... I remember in WoW, my main was a mage. Obviously to many they thought I was their personal transportation device and water vendor... Many people I told to get lost because of the way they would ask me.

If I'm sitting in Stormwind and someone whispers me, "ned water", I'm gonna ignore you. Those who took 3 extra seconds out of their day to give me the common courtesy of saying, "Hey, would you please be able to make me some water?" I was happy to help out! It's all in how you ask and how polite you are.
Yeah, if you couldn't tell from my first post back there, I'm a HUGE fan of manners. And intolerance to those without. Smile

Also, in my guild-leadership history, I've done nearly everything I saw listed here, and a few more to boot.

I-Net Radio dance parties on the rooftops of the guild halls (with requests in real time!) were a total blast.
Very Happy
Man, why'd they have to break SW:G?
I'm gonna go remenisce in the corner and sulk now...
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Yeaup, politeness goes a really long way.

I've seen complete strangers send PMs with demands and flooded with abbreviations. If they can't even try to build a sentence (not asking for it to be perfect, but you can see when someone tries and when they don't), I will never be as helpful as I can be.

I have played as a healer and people have demanded I join their party, and people had demanded I give them buffs I wouldn't even get for 20 levels or more. It just shhows how stupid people can be.

And then you have the spam duel chalangers, no means no. So I reject, the next thing many is spam chalange, the few that don't go like "cmon, duel", "y u no duel?", "duel plz". If they had asked before the first chalange I might have accepted. But due to the history with those people the first thing I do when I log in is look in the options for the auto-reject button.

I intend to try and educate them, but mindless beggers will not get anything even after I educated them, or at a very high price. Those that ask nicely might get something at reasonable or even cheap return actions.
Back to top Go down
vlak

vlak

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Darka wrote:
So with a lot of talk I want to know what YOU will be personally doing to make TOR a better experience to put back the respect in gaming ? Smile

It not a question of trying to out do each other I just want to know what if anything you will be doing?

Killing arrogant teenagers in the evening while they are trying to grief...*cough cough*

Vlak
Back to top Go down
http://myveterans.org
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Class: Smuggler
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Velaxi wrote:
1. Personally.

Where I grew up, if you were driving down the road and your worst enemy was broken down at the side of the (choose transportation venue here), you stopped and helped. Period. Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere is a life-or-death situation, and next time it could be you broken down.
Anyone who didn't conform to this was dealt with by the community. Shape up or ship out... or be made to ship out. Sounds harsh, I know, but a community must police itself, and be INtolerant of those without the common sense or respect enough to follow the unspoken rules.
And if it wasn't a dire situation, or you were just passing in town, you were polite/civil anyway.

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune right now and they keep brining up what made a Fremen a Fremen. The answer is dependency, if you want to survive in the desert you need people. Which mean that you need to be on people's good side. The book also highlight how society become "perverted" once people lose that need: people become greedy, jealous, etc.

I guess we are all Fremen stuck in a desert here. farao
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:37 pm

azarhal wrote:

I guess we are all Fremen stuck in a desert here. farao

My skin is not my own.

I think I read up to book 4 or 5, I personally think the series kinda peaks with Children of Dune, though God Emperor isn't so bad.

The rest isn't horrible by any means (and I enjoy Herbert,) just feel the first few books are the strongest in the series.
Back to top Go down
Baelyrn

Baelyrn

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:21 am

When on my mage in WoW, I get a demanded for food/water/portal, when being begged for gold, spammed for duels or when otherwise confronted with bad manners, I actually try to explain them that they are being impolite.

I feel that if you just straight away ignore someone, you're not really helping anyone. They wont learn anything and just think you're the jerk, which gives them the right to be even more of a jerk, in their mind. I suppose I'm an optimist, but I believe that some of those players really don't know any better, but will learn if someone politely tells them.

Now, I don't always have enough patience, but I'm trying, Ringo...
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Oh man...been there done that with my mage too. I love it when a lvl capped players sends you a tell wanting food and water and then expects you to come to them. I'ld respond back "Look, I'm more than willing to give you some food and water, but you're going to have to come to me". 3 possible reactions there...1) sure np. 2) I never hear back from them. 3) some people actually reply back with some explicit dialog. I tell those people "I guess you really didn't want that food or water" and then proceed to put them on ignore (Note: I also unignore everyone on my ignore list a day or two later...it's basicaly just because they were being negative atm and I don't feel like listening to any more of it at the time). See...a prime example of correctly using your in-game ignore list.

I also ignore almost all spammers. I try to keep my cool but that stuff really gets on my nerves Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:42 am

How about Burbo on Gorath Cold?? ROFLMAO!!

That real fat/ nekkid begger in the Coronet Starport...right by the travel Droid?

=priceless
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Selven wrote:

Helping others
Since I don't know everything about TOR yet, I only have to assume that people may need assistance much the same way they do in other games. Whit that said, my way of helping would be;

- Always answer someone's question if I'm able - if only to say "Sorry, I don't know either Smile"
- Politely answer requests for handouts with a few tips on how to make some credits for themselves.
- I crave information about a planet, an area, tricks for setting up an easy UI (i.e bind autorun to the middle mousebutton) and I share what I know with anyone who want's to know.
- If I notice someone running around looking like they can't find their quest kill, I send them a tell and ask if they're looking for x and if they do, show them where to go.
- After some time in game, when I start to feel like I know my way around, if there's an option for toggling a helper tag, I will wear it.
- Visit lowbie areas to see if there's anything I can do for someone feeling a little overwhelmed.
(Wonderful friendships can happen that way!)
- I don't mind traveling across the game world to help out on a lowbie quest or to guide someone to their destination. (I loved giving people a ride in SWG)

Manners
- Not to run up to an area someone is fighing in only to slaughter every NPC around.
- Wait for my turn if there seem to be an NPC or several that are part of a quest and we need to kill it.
- Or send a tell to that someone who was there first asking if they're there for the same reason I am. Possibly group up.
- Greet a player if I'm in the middle of nowhere and bumps into someone. (sounds like a given, but I'm always baffled at the amount of players that never even consider this)
- I never use profanity (not saying I can't get a bit naughty in guild chat with good friends)

There's probably more that I can't think of right now. So it'll have to do Smile

Likewise, I will "borrow" Selven's list with a caveat. I generally don't use profanity in global/local chat and I generally try not to casually use profanity...but I grew up in New Jersey-- talking like the characters in Goodfellas is our birthright, dam-- you almost got me there.

Another addendum. If I hear about a person griefing, unless I am in a group, I will drop what I am doing to smite the griefer with avengence and then kindly ask them to never do so again.
Back to top Go down
Azuren

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:35 am

I like to help the new guys you now show them the path but let them experince the game all themselves
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:16 pm

lol Schwen. That guy was relentless
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?   What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What will YOU be doing to make TOR a better Place?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2