The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Servers and Allegiances...

Go down 
+24
Grome
Stryklone
Dresgar
Crebain
Coldhart
Aldemarran
ShavedEwok
Redriot
WesleyP.
vlak
Lugaidh
Baelyrn
SandsS
Zepour
Schwendo
Finiffa
Sylrah
Waxxorian
azarhal
Selven
Kai-Sun
Variable
Ty-Odi
Gamewiz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Crebain

Crebain

Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Hm hm, I'll just put my 2 cents in then:

I mostly like RP-PVP server (if that'll be available), it gives you the experience of actually being in the game universe. A Jedi can attack you at any time just like in the "real" star wars world. My experience with RP servers is that most players are more respectful to each other. So if RP-PVP servers are available I vote on that.

Sometimes I RP, used to be big on it, but WoW kind of killed it for me (on an RP server at that...). I don't usually initiate it but love to follow along if people are into it.

Also, I'll play in any region (US or European) as long as it doesn't cause me lag. I live in Europe (Netherlands) so Europe is still preferable.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:00 am

Wait...if we RP it up on a PvP server then that would mean that us Sith would never get ganked because the "good" jerdi would never do such a thing, but we could gank all we want cuz it's what we actually do lol

To be honest tho, that's a whole cluster of crap just waiting to be opened. The Crazies main guild is going to be Imperial/Sith and we have all said that we plan on being as "bad" as we can. A few of us have already warned other friends who may be questing and playing with us that they need to be prepared if they plan on rolling with us. So if we carry this over to an RP/PvP server...omg, where would the madness end and how could you call any of it griefing??? We would merely be playing our part as the twisted evil beings we are...even if we're ganking lowbies (Just look at what Ani did to all the young jerdi...he slughtered them all).
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 am

Coldhart wrote:
Wait...if we RP it up on a PvP server then that would mean that us Sith would never get ganked because the "good" jerdi would never do such a thing, but we could gank all we want cuz it's what we actually do lol

To be honest tho, that's a whole cluster of crap just waiting to be opened. The Crazies main guild is going to be Imperial/Sith and we have all said that we plan on being as "bad" as we can. A few of us have already warned other friends who may be questing and playing with us that they need to be prepared if they plan on rolling with us. So if we carry this over to an RP/PvP server...omg, where would the madness end and how could you call any of it griefing??? We would merely be playing our part as the twisted evil beings we are...even if we're ganking lowbies (Just look at what Ani did to all the young jerdi...he slughtered them all).

If it's griefing depends on how you act. If you show you lack maturity in your killing (not saying that's the case, just an example) then I will say it's griefing. If you defeat someone and go dancing on his corpse or keep hanging around for when he returns, or go namecalling in an out of character manner, that's griefing. But if you kill them and then RP with your buddies and insult the jedi in general in a RP manner, that's not griefing.

Griefing is when you do it to hurt the player.

If you see someone with a lightsaber out you'll know (s)he's jedi/sith, so when you confront those it makes sense. But what about the other classes? Well, a trooper would be wearing a uniform most likely, but there's nothing saying a smuggler wouldn't look like a farmer or trader or something who has a blaster for self defence purposes (like against robbers or wild animals).

But then there's ganking. Ganking doesn't need to be griefing, but it may be better to bully the low level rather than kill the character. RP that you're beating him up and leaving the near dead body for the animals to feast on. Then after you leave they can continue without a setback, and a much more memorable experiance as well. The same can be said for 10 vs. 1 of the same level.

Ganking is a cheap kill, you can't persuade me into seeing that as a good time. Because then you're a griefer.

But even when you go for the kill, RP is what makes the difference. Though RP could be used to hide one's griefing ways, it lessens the grief considderably.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:47 am

lol it's all good...all that was meant to be a joke. I wouldn't go ganking anyone. But I think I did have kind of a valid point though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 am

You do have a point.

I know there will undoubtedly be people that will act that way, and that's where my points come in.

When the time comes I hope we can manage to make people see there's alternatives to ganking without breaking character.
Back to top Go down
Crebain

Crebain

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Hm let's keep this thread on topic. I'll make a gank vs RP thread.
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 pm

I have only been part of PvP servers during my short MMORPG life and that is the kind of enviroment I want... sort-of, there are always a-holes who do competitive PvP and turn it into a drama, during my 2 years in WoW I was able to do extremely well on a certain free server ( private server, I was not willing to pay for a game I did not really enjoy as much as others) while I made good online buddies, most of the people simply gave the community a bad name...

Sorry went a bit off-topic there, what I was trying to say is that I am willing to try a server which is not just pure PvP, maybe PvP-RP?
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:12 am

Server choice doesn't matter to me. Something that allows RP and PvP appears to give the most options, but I'll go along on whatever the decision is.

Often my hours fit with Europe although home is the US, so location is also a "whatever, man."

If the PvP isn't optional I'm going to need more training than a long-tailed cat in a rocking chair factory, but I'm willing to give it a go.

If you're Sith, does that mean you get Lightside points every moment you don't betray your friends? Ohhhh ... now there is great pain between my ears ...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 am

I'm going to have to dig up the exact page but someone hinted at this on the main forums.

Mentioned by Sean in an Interview that they are considering that if your in Europe and want to play on a US server they will allow it - SWTOR-Station

Will give link once I find the exact bit.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:24 am

Yes, I have been expecting that to be honest (I think I read that). Like I said though I am hoping for a more advanced compromise... sort of an international server. And this is the last time I will say this because I seriously feel I am repeating myself. lol
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:17 am

Kai-Sun wrote:
I'm going to have to dig up the exact page but someone hinted at this on the main forums.

Mentioned by Sean in an Interview that they are considering that if your in Europe and want to play on a US server they will allow it - SWTOR-Station

Will give link once I find the exact bit.

Old stuff from last year (2009) conventions. Considering EA is responsible for the game distribution I don't see why they would stop people from playing where they want. Unless laws require it.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:47 am

azarhal wrote:

Old stuff from last year (2009) conventions. Considering EA is responsible for the game distribution I don't see why they would stop people from playing where they want. Unless laws require it.

Yea I just hadn't ever seen it, hehe. Put it here just in case others hadn't either, since we had been talking about it. Little bit of extra hope right?
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Yea I just hadn't ever seen it, hehe. Put it here just in case others hadn't either, since we had been talking about it. Little bit of extra hope right?

Extra hope is always good. Very Happy

I think the NA/EU servers separation have always been caused by the use of different publishers on both part of the world. EA doesn't have that problem.
Back to top Go down
KDS - Prometeu

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 6:14 pm

KDS has always been a semiRP Military structured community with PvP as main focus. We never really had issues with non RP servers. So only need for us is PvP!

What we need to split on though is timezones!
/salute
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:11 pm

KDS - Prometeu wrote:
KDS has always been a semiRP Military structured community with PvP as main focus. We never really had issues with non RP servers. So only need for us is PvP!

/salute
We hope to all get into one server. At MOST 2. Everything above that will just split up the community too much.

IF it is split, it would be EU/US split.

Unfortunately we're kind of in a dead end discussion since we don't know the first thing about how the servers will be split.
Back to top Go down
Matte_Black

Matte_Black

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 am

The less we split , the better the effect. I am thinking one RP and one PvP server might be the best.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 am

Matte_Black wrote:
The less we split , the better the effect. I am thinking one RP and one PvP server might be the best.
In fact, I think it would be good if we could all agree on one server type. Because if we get split it probably will be due to timezone and not server type. So if we split it yet again after that it makes 4 servers which just seems a little much.
Yes, there will have to be compromise for some people I guess, but it's probably just too early to see how and what it will be. Gotta wait for further announcements.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 10:55 pm

KDS - Prometeu wrote:
Why so actually?

Imagine we actually all roll on an eastern US server (best compromise for all). What reason would speak against it for your guild, assuming the following:
- No lag issues.
- This community getting very big by then, meaning you will have more than your share of Europeans on the server.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Grome wrote:
KDS - Prometeu wrote:
Why so actually?

Imagine we actually all roll on an eastern US server (best compromise for all). What reason would speak against it for your guild, assuming the following:
- No lag issues.
- This community getting very big by then, meaning you will have more than your share of Europeans on the server.

You forgot lots of people to play on every possible hours of the day.

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 11:13 pm

azarhal wrote:
You forgot lots of people to play on every possible hours of the day.

That's kind of what I was going for with my second argument there. But you're right, might not have been clear, so thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Aurabesh

Aurabesh

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aurabesh

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Might be me but i still am having second thoughts about server choices.
The time difference between the US and EU players is to high to not take into account (6 hours between EST and WEU)
Splitting up servers might cause a breach in the community...but a 6 hours time difference will aswell in the long run as most EU players will head for pillow heaven when the US players come online, specially those with a job and a familly to take care off.
I would strongly advice in a US/EU split set-up for this community and not only the PvP/RP split, even though allmost 70% (give or take) of RIG is probably from the US.

Considering that most of us will play from 20:00hrs till 24:00hrs.
20:00 in the western part of the EU = 14:00hrs in the US EST.
20:00hrs in the US EST = 06:00hrs in the WEU.
We will not be seeing eachother alot if at all with those time differences.

Might be a good thing to spark this discussion again.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Aurabesh you are making 3 mistakes here.

1) We don't need to all play at the same time (although Grome totally took over the EST timezone already.)
2) There is people in the NA that work nights or have other weird schedules and vice-versa (I'm not one of them).
3) Weekends offer larger playtime schedule. (Well at least to me Wink...when I'm not sick).

Which mean that, if there is no latency problems (or other limitations), we can all roll on the same servers and have members of the community on it 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
Back to top Go down
Aurabesh

Aurabesh

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aurabesh

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:36 pm

azarhal wrote:
Aurabesh you are making 3 mistakes here.

1) We don't need to all play at the same time (although Grome totally took over the EST timezone already.)
2) There is people in the NA that work nights or have other weird schedules and vice-versa (I'm not one of them).
3) Weekends offer larger playtime schedule. (Well at least to me Wink...when I'm not sick).

Which mean that, if there is no latency problems (or other limitations), we can all roll on the same servers and have members of the community on it 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

I don't see them as mistakes more as practical problems, atleast for my personal side of this project.
Keeping a server populated 24/7 only benefits EA/Bioware as i do not see any personal benefits of having friends online when i am offline.

If we do not play at the same times there is no need to play on one server...except for those hours in the weekend, maybe.
I played SWG on an US server (Kettemoor) and when the US players came online...i went offline. I was never around for guild events or community events and played solo 90% of my time online, sending mails to ask for advice etc. I do not plan on playing on a US server again due to that experience. Community is what makes or breaks an MMO for me...otherwise i would pop a game into the ole PS3 and play a FPS.
People working on the graveyard shift tend to be sleeping during the day... i have been there...and i truelly did not feel like gaming when i came home after working all night.

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you Aurabesh for getting the discussion back on track. I think it is one of our most important matters so it is best not left unattended.

So, like Az, I'm gonna disagree though.

I'm gonna illustrate here why and how it can work for us, if we all roll on one and the same server (ignoring server type split because 1. we don't know how it will be split RP-wise etc and 2. if that is really something that splits us then it's sad, ergo that should not be a splitting reason). This does not mean I'm telling everyone has to agree with this, I just think it would be better for the community. And therefore I'm showing you why I think that would work out.

Quotes:
Grome wrote:
Imagine we actually all roll on an eastern US server (best compromise for all). What reason would speak against it (...), assuming the following:
- No lag issues.
The last point may need to be taken a bit further: Even without counting the people around the world that will be on outside your 8pm-12am (see Az' post for that) given the community has large enough numbers, you will always find someone on. If some 100+ Europeans are on a US server and you're from EU you will obviously have no problem finding people to play with.

Aurabesh wrote:
even though allmost 70% (give or take) of RIG is probably from the US.
I think this is not quite right. I'd say 50% are NA. But since this is all just guessing I'm gonna take the time and see how it pans out over the current top 50 posters on our forums and post that info just a bit later.

Aurabesh wrote:
Considering that most of us will play from 20:00hrs till 24:00hrs.
20:00 in the western part of the EU = 14:00hrs in the US EST.
20:00hrs in the US EST = 06:00hrs in the WEU.
We will not be seeing eachother alot if at all with those time differences.
There is something wrong here, as 8 pm EST is not 6 am CET but 2 am CET. But you were probably going for 12 am EST = 6 am CET.
But I generally don't see this as an argument. See my first point.

azarhal wrote:
Actually I'm currently back to somewhere around GMT/GMT-1 jocolor
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Okay, we're down to about 60% NA timezone (counting SA and Canada as well as US), 35% EU timezone, 5% other timezone...
Not really important, I just like statistics.

Aurabesh wrote:
I don't see them as mistakes more as practical problems, atleast for my personal side of this project.
Keeping a server populated 24/7 only benefits EA/Bioware as i do not see any personal benefits of having friends online when i am offline.

If we do not play at the same times there is no need to play on one server...except for those hours in the weekend, maybe.
I played SWG on an US server (Kettemoor) and when the US players came online...i went offline. I was never around for guild events or community events and played solo 90% of my time online, sending mails to ask for advice etc. I do not plan on playing on a US server again due to that experience. Community is what makes or breaks an MMO for me...otherwise i would pop a game into the ole PS3 and play a FPS.
People working on the graveyard shift tend to be sleeping during the day... i have been there...and i truelly did not feel like gaming when i came home after working all night.
You have a point, but there are always possibilities to make events work for most, time-wise: Take the FNC, there were people from Europe, NA and Oceania.
Sure, we're maybe not gonna be playing with each other during the best part of the week. But there are times that work for most and there are also the weekends.

The advantages of making it work are great: Events with the whole of the community and lots of fun with them. There will always be times at which you can meet people from other timezones ingame.
If it's not the case at all for you, don't assume it's the same for everyone else.

By the way, what have you got to lose? If you roll on a NA server instead of an EU server you will probably generally have a little less players to choose from, yes. But most of the players you can choose from will be cool and respectful people. And it's not like there's only a handful of EU people on here.

Of course, if they had an international tagged server it would probably easily solve this problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Servers and Allegiances...   Servers and Allegiances... - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servers and Allegiances...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: The OSC - Events and Suggestions-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com