The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Original thread name change on the main boards

Go down 
+5
Sylrah
Grome
Schwendo
Brando Calrissian
Ty-Odi
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

Original thread name change on the main boards Empty
PostSubject: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:10 am

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I have had the name of the thread on the main boards changed after a number of people suggested it.

So if you look for the original thread it is now called 'A community based on mutual respect'

Sorry if this causes any confusion, just people thought this would stop some people being turned off by the idea due to it being about 'Old School Community'

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Brando Calrissian

Brando Calrissian

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 am

I think alot of new-comers to this scene dont really know what an old-school community is, or why they might want to be a part of one. Hopefully this is more clear and inviting Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:36 am

I understand why you did that Ty. Some people just try and read too much into the "Old School" title based off whatever warped gaming experience they had in the past.

Hmm..how about this for example?? Hehe...also...I adored how you handled it. You are a vastly more patient man than I...

(From page 85 off the RiG TOR thread):

@OP:

The reason that this will not spread beyond a partial server is because the old MMO environment is gone, and should stay gone.

The old MMO environment was one a) a small number of MMORPGs that b) required group involvement in nearly every aspect of the game such that c) to even function in an MMORPG you had to be a good little drone.

I played in the "glory days" of MMORPGs and it literally makes me gag a little bit to see the white-washed alternate-reality nostalgia people have. That "community" and "mutual respect" in MMORPGs wasn't out of some gestalt hippie love field: it was from a fascist environment where if people didn't behave a certain way their guilds would kick them out and black-list them on forums such that that person couldn't even play on that server anymore under that name.

Truth, facts, months (years!) of hard work--didn't matter, if an angry guild leader blacklisted you by calling you a thief (when in reality you told him to stop making racist comments, to stop sexually harassing female players, etc.) you were paid for. Without the mass of people to help you, you couldn't do end-game content--and in some games, you couldn't even quest, etc. at higher levels without a pre-set group.

Now, thankfully, there are MANY MMORPGs. The days of companies like Sony Online Entertainment putting the screws to players like they did in EQ (when players had no where else to go for a 3D MMORPG) are GONE! SOE learned this when they tried their EQ tactics in SWG and players simply left for WOW. Power to the players has taken off as companies now realize they have to listen to their base.

As game companies have listened, individual players also have more freedom as MMORPGs have changed to emphasize work (so-called "welfare gear", etc.) over clicks and guilds (so-called "lottery gear", etc.) and thus are not bound by the tyranny of the majority in clustered guild pyramid-power structures.

Granted, and I agree with the OP, the trash-talk in Raid gear scores and PVP general [blank]-hattery is a turn off. But with the emphasis to work over luck, I generally kill the idiots or use the new-fangled /IGNORE function. But that's a price I gladly pay for freedom.

Now, if you guys with the OP can make this work, AWESOME. Good for you. But I doubt it, and I hope the tools to force that kind of old-school environment never appear.

I am a nice guy, but jeez. I think my IQ went down reading that. Talk about opinions interrupting open minded thought process!
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:44 am

Its not always easy, lol. Smile

One guy did get under my skin this evening, I know he was trolling, but.....I hate it when someone will argue the sky is pink and the grass is blue just for the sake of it, then uses even more improbable and miss guided arguements to try and back up his rant.....I know he was just trolling as well, and feel a bit bad i let him get under my skin....*Sigh*

I am sure you guys have seen the post? I think it is on page 91 or 92 or something, I tried, i really did to walk away from it....but I couldn't.....I kind of put him in his place a little, not proud of it, but hey ho, done now...

No one is perfect I guess? haha. I don't like shooting people down, but damn....when they are so rude and so stupid it is hard not too some times....I will chalk this one down to me being rather tired and rather stressed from work though (Been at work over 21 hours already and still have t least 3 more to go), normally I would just have left it alone... Sad
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 am

Don't worry about it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:50 am

I saw that,

Don't worry Ty. You now have TONS of fellow RiGers. One lone "Troller" will be overwhelmed by our responses!!!

I'll get in there and add my unique brand of "Schwen-casm" to it. DW, i'll go "easy" on him. I'll just make him squirm a little. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
Sylrah

Sylrah

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 6:14 am

Name change is good.

Problem with "old school" in the title was that it didn't say what the thread was about, except for it being about getting things more as they used to be (which by itself is epicly vague). A lot of people just respond to the title, so the title should be as close to the topic as possible (the same people who don't read the actual post are the same that make threads called "A question").

Now when people respond to the title they'll at least respond to the topic.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 12:44 am

hehe the name change was sneaky.

Also talking about that thread. It got cleaned today as well from what I see. Our ghost mod overloads are really on our side.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 am

I like the change. And I hope it'll make us more visible to those who never took the time to read it. Of course, you won't get rid of the ones determined to argue, but atleast they're bumping the thread Smile
Back to top Go down
Horeon
(Re)Public Enemy
Horeon

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 am

Selven wrote:
I like the change. And I hope it'll make us more visible to those who never took the time to read it. Of course, you won't get rid of the ones determined to argue, but atleast they're bumping the thread Smile

You don't happen to have read my Appearance Tab-thread, hm? The only reason it's in is 5th iteration is because the returning trolls that are Gigabyte, Kourage and Brillobreaks Razz
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 am

Horeon wrote:

You don't happen to have read my Appearance Tab-thread, hm? The only reason it's in is 5th iteration is because the returning trolls that are Gigabyte, Kourage and Brillobreaks Razz

I know, and that's why I've started to like them! Wink

Ok, so I'm not loving them ...but yeah, they are part of your evil plan, right? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 am

By the way, we can expect our thread to get "updated" soon... as we will be reaching 1000 posts. Version 2 incoming jocolor

That always says kinda like "this is an established topic on the boards" Wink
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Grome wrote:
That always says kinda like "this is an established topic on the boards" Wink

Or it's an important topic to people.

Strangely, unlike all the other topic that make it past version 1, ours isn't bumped by trolling and arguing...
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 pm

azarhal wrote:
hehe the name change was sneaky.

Also talking about that thread. It got cleaned today as well from what I see. Our ghost mod overloads are really on our side.

What a Face

Well this may seem strange, but yesterday I noticed a new 'Moderator' on my friendslist who I have never heard of or spoke too, or even asked to be friends with? No idea who he is? lol, but good to have him on my friendslist either way, haha Smile

But yeah, the mods do seem quite cool in regards to our thread, and I have noticed it gets cleaned up from time to time, also and I know we can be guilty some time, we do bump it ourselves, but they don't seem to mind what so ever which is awesome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm wondering if one of the reasons we get to do what we like in that thread is related to the fact we're almost never trolled and more importantly, we keep a polite tone no matter what's being said. I can honestly not point to any other topic over there that hasn't got some angry, rude, hate, QQ posts.

And with sneaky mods on our side, life is good Smile
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Selven wrote:
And with sneaky mods on our side, life is good Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rJ-6hBfSo
Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Odium

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:00 am

Ehehehe. It's a community movement in favor of a respectful community in an awesome game. I'd think they'd be pretty happy we're organizing ourselves. It's nice to have some low-key unofficial support.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original thread name change on the main boards   Original thread name change on the main boards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original thread name change on the main boards
Page 1 of 1