The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Original thread part 2!

Go down 
+9
Godric_Barbarosa
Aldemarran
Ty-Odi
Schwendo
SandsS
Grome
Velaxi
Darka
Variable
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

Original thread part 2! Empty
PostSubject: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 am

Kill this if its been posted already, but the original thread is over 1k posts and in its second part! Awesome job keeping the ball rolling folks, and there's no denying we have some energy behind us! Smile
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 am

Remember [art of being tolerant is accepting other opinions, regardless if you do not agree with them
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 am

Darka wrote:
Remember [art of being tolerant is accepting other opinions, regardless if you do not agree with them

Is that a general statement? Or did I say something wrong?
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:26 am

BTW, with regard to the new conversation brewing in the original thread: Don't be fooled by the AngryCynicalEwok gentleman(?). Signed up on the SWTOR forums today and all of his (as of now) 8 posts has been either baiting, condesending, or out and out trolling in the Community thread and one other on PvP. I don't generally like to dismiss out of hand, but the writing seems to be on the wall here: obvious troll is rather obvious.
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:29 am

Yeah, I replied to him as directly as I could.
I think I made my point (as indirectly as I could...)
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:46 am

It has already been cleaned up by the mods. Admittedly, our reactions weren't the best.
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:54 am

Yeah, best bet is to flag it and move on with the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:08 am

Yes while he was trolling how we react to it can either see more of it or less of it, just saying more to be mindful and ignore the trolls, he will be back on his main account tomorrow i suspect
Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Odium

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:08 pm

It's good to remind people to ignore the trollolololols. I love you
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 4:34 am

Its tough...I had to post a lil' bit angry response to one of those trolls. I know I was wrong...but vent I did nonetheless Sad Maybe is was the ole' Jarhead in me...dunno...sry Sad
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 9:12 am

Don't worry Schwen, we all do it from time to time, hehe Smile

But as Darka said, I think perhaps we should all try and ignore the haters, it will be good practice for how we intend to approach them in game when this bad boy (SW:TOR) goes live. Smile

I find it incredibly difficult to just ignore rudeness, but ignore it we must, or at the very least do our best too. Never an easy thing hehe, but I think we can do it if we all keep each others backs Smile

Maybe a good way of doing it, is if someone on their is an obvious troll, then one of us who spots it, rather than replying to it, instead, posts something different and in a different light to what the troll is hinting at, the more so the better, i.e. ignoring the troll is obvious? We will answer any well thought out arguements of course, but I am on about those who simply spew ignorance and rudeness we simply don't react or even bother to reply too?

I think that, if anything could suck the wind from their sails so quickly? I mean how frustrating would a troll find it, to not get his/her desired result? How much more will they hate it, if they are simply ignored?
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 1:04 pm

I have only one problem with this, "Ignoring your problems will make them go away". It has been proven over and over again public gaming forums that if there is no enforcement, the trolls take over to a point where many people simply refuse to use the official forums. We'll see more of this as guild forums go live for SW:TOR. We'll also see more trolls as the game goes live.

It is a common fallacy that trolls enjoy making people angry at them. From time to time if someone gets under their skin they'll even throw this fallacy out there to convince people to leave them alone. Believe it or not they still want to play the game, they still usually want to raid in both PvE & PvP. What they enjoy is controlling others. It is an empowerment issue. If you can respond in a manner that doesn't show anger, you have a chance. If you can do so in a way that makes them uncomfortable, you are making progress.

What I expect from SW:TOR is that most Riggers will stick to these forums and ignore the official forums once the game goes live. Here at least we can drop a ban-hammer on any trolls that discover this forum.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Aldemarran wrote:
What I expect from SW:TOR is that most Riggers will stick to these forums and ignore the official forums once the game goes live. Here at least we can drop a ban-hammer on any trolls that discover this forum.

Ironically, I had already started to frequent the SWTOR forums less even before the RIG Forums went live. Just too much to read and to many people complaining about this or that. It was almost dumb luck that I caught a reference to Ty's original thread another thread when I was looking at responses to a Friday update, I think.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
It was almost dumb luck that I caught a reference to Ty's original thread another thread when I was looking at responses to a Friday update, I think.

It wasn't dumb luck, it was the Force.
Back to top Go down
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 pm

peope see " want good community, respect" etc then assume they can be an arse, and we will just smile
then if we dont they will go on about shit that has nothing to do with what we want to do, hich we see a lot, even replying to a thread to better explain a stand point, seemed to piss some off today lol
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 am

Darka wrote:
peope see " want good community, respect" etc then assume they can be an arse, and we will just smile
then if we dont they will go on about shit that has nothing to do with what we want to do, hich we see a lot, even replying to a thread to better explain a stand point, seemed to piss some off today lol
You know, there are people who say "Oh yeah?" to just about anything they can't accept because they don't understand it.

I watched a little this morning on the toR forums, I saw what was up.

I let it be because I really felt bad for the guy. (yes, seriously) I didn't think I had it in me just then to answer him in a way that would connect, just then.

1. He can't accept the honest notion of respect, so he must challenge it. This is very sad.
2. He doesn't know what respect actually means, so he's trying to be challenging to what he thinks it means. Which only demonstrates his ignorance. Which is very sad.
3. From point 2 - he's pushing buttons trying to figure out what he's not getting, which is even sadder than pt.1 and pt.2 above.

I've always found that with those particular types of "troll" (for lack of a better word) that ignoring them until they are ready to honestly ask questions worked best. Sometimes they never do. Sometimes they become fanatical when you give them the answer. And everything in between.

But I can tell you one thing:
Someone who knows what respect is and chooses not to practice it is an @$$hole.
Someone who never even had the priviledge of knowing what it means is just deprived, and deserving of pity.
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

That whole thread (and that one posted in particular) is the perfect reason why this community needs to exist...

The least we can do is lead by example. Take the high road and others will follow. There will always be nay-sayers, but that's ok... if we can be successful in this endeavor then I can think of no better way to get them to eat their words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Exactly Arzon, and btw love the Reign sign very Duke Nukem!! hehe Smile

Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Aldemarran wrote:
It is a common fallacy that trolls enjoy making people angry at them. From time to time if someone gets under their skin they'll even throw this fallacy out there to convince people to leave them alone. Believe it or not they still want to play the game, they still usually want to raid in both PvE & PvP. What they enjoy is controlling others. It is an empowerment issue. If you can respond in a manner that doesn't show anger, you have a chance. If you can do so in a way that makes them uncomfortable, you are making progress.

Also true. Responding in a way that makes trolls uncomfortable is something of an artform, though, and it takes a certain amount of empathy with other viewpoints.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 10:52 pm

I pity most of them too...living a shallow life is always a sad thing. Lonely too...

I mean, if you can't even interact with people just typing words in a small box, how are you going to do on, say, and important job interview?? Social skills are degraded across the board in society these days, but for these people, even more so.

I feel sorry for them Sad (well, most of them)
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

you people should post in the thread. we are down to page 9.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:40 pm

Duty done.

At least, the last troll was funny.

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Great! Yeah, he was kind of funny. Trolls are a strange breed.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 2:43 am

azarhal wrote:
Duty done.

At least, the last troll was funny.

Did he actually report Horeon or was that a joke? His first post was such an obvious joke/troll that I thought he'd realize Horeon's post was a joke but you never know.
Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 5:02 am

Indeed. There needs to be some kind of community initiative to keep the thread active in the official SWTOR forums... that's the fastest way for us to attract more like-minded people, outside of recruiting more whole guilds who are interested in the idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original thread part 2!   Original thread part 2! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original thread part 2!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next