The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your past Great Community Experiences?

Go down 
+5
Velaxi
WesleyP.
Zepour
Gamewiz
Darka
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Darka

Darka

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Modos
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Force Academy

Your past Great Community Experiences? Empty
PostSubject: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Similar but different to the last few threads, yes i could have put it in one but believe it would have been lost in process

What have been your past great experiences involving a Community if anything?
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:49 pm

While I've tried more MMOs than I can count, the one I spent the most time in was WoW. Vanilla WoW surprisingly had a great community to start. The open-world PvP was respectful (for the most part), people were willing to help each other, and instances were actually FUN because it wasn't about what your gearscore was. It was about having fun and enjoying what we were doing.

Many times I'd be in a group that couldn't clear something, but we still had a blast regardless. I'd far rather be in a fun group that can't complete the content that night, then be in a nazi-style group that has no fun, but clears all the content.

I'm a lone wolf for much of my leveling process, but even I know that community is what really defines an MMO.
Back to top Go down
Zepour

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I was lucky to be part of some awesome communities on "my" WoW server, The Sha'tar (EU). I'd like to mention two RP PvE raiding communities, Friends of the Shatterspear (defunct now, unfortunately) and the 15th Dusk. Both were communiites of mature and respectful players, similar in nature what we can see forming under the R.I.G. banner.

Being part of those two groups of people has been absolute blast and tons of fun.
Back to top Go down
WesleyP.

WesleyP.

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Gamewiz wrote:
... the one I spent the most time in was WoW. Vanilla WoW surprisingly had a great community to start. The open-world PvP was respectful (for the most part), people were willing to help each other, and instances were actually FUN because it wasn't about what your gearscore was. It was about having fun and enjoying what we were doing.
This.

Quote :
Many times I'd be in a group that couldn't clear something, but we still had a blast regardless. I'd far rather be in a fun group that can't complete the content that night, then be in a nazi-style group that has no fun, but clears all the content.
This.

Quote :
I'm a lone wolf for much of my leveling process, but even I know that community is what really defines an MMO.
And this. Your past Great Community Experiences? 516833
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldPipes
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Well my "Great" community experience was actually in Motor City Online (I know most don't know what that is/was, but it was a racing MMO by EA that was sabotaged from the inside).

See, I had a "Crew" (guild) there, and while different people put on different little events, nobody was really doing anything big. The game itself wasn't really conducive to it. Which isn't to say it was impossible, but... it was tough.

So. I gathered my crew of 24 people (inoryte? TINY!) and set out to create a monster event.
Thing was, EA had just released a new track that reminded me SOOOOoo much of "The Dukes of Hazard", *plus* they'd also recently released the 1957 Ford Ranchero.
Thus was born: The Ranchero Run!

So, not only did we manage to get a couple hundred signups, millions in parts and cash donations for prizes, AND pull off a full 2-day tournament event with people coming from all four servers to both spectate and participate... the community managers of the game contacted me -- first via PM, then telephone.

After some significant discussions, I managed to convince them that EA itself should sponsor events and put in tools to make them easier -- which they did!

So not only did I (with the help of my team) put on 3 annual awesome, legendary tournaments, I helped to make the entire game a better place for all.

(Man, I miss my team now...)

Last edited by Velaxi on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Velaxi wrote:
Well my "Great" community experience was actually in Motor City Online (I know most don't know what that is/was, but it was a racing MMO by EA that was sabotaged from the inside).

See, I had a "Crew" (guild) there, and while different people put on different little events, nobody was really doing anything big. The game itself wasn't really conducive to it. Which isn't to say it was impossible, but... it was tough.

So. I gathered my crew of 24 people (inoryte? TINY!) and set out to create a monster event.
Thing was, EA had just released a new track that reminded me SOOOOoo much of "The Dukes of Hazard", *plus* they'd also recently released the 1957 Ford Ranchero.
Thus was born: The Ranchero Run!

So, not only did we manage to get a couple hundred signups, millions in parts and cash donations for prizes, AND pull off a full 2-day tournament event with people coming from all four servers to both spectate and participate... the community managers of the game contacted me -- first via PM, then telephone.

After some significant discussions, I managed to convince them that EA itself should sponsor events and put in tools to make them easier -- which they did!

So not only did I (with the help of my team) put on 3 annual awesome, legendary tournaments, I helped to make the entire game a better place for all.

(Man, I miss my team now...)

That's fantastic! It's amazing what some initiative can do. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Man I took part in some seriously awesome events in SWG.

I even have a number of unique badges for taking part in some Mod run events, one of the Mods, forget his name name? came into our City on Restuss, and landed with a load of Imperial Guards, it had all been set up, and a number of our friendly rebel guilds who we had let know about the event turned up to attack the Emperor. They just kept on coming, and to make matters worse the Dev even started dropping in Rebel NPCs all over the place.

The whole thing went on for an hour or so, was amazing, and I got an 'Emperors Hand' badge or something like that? (I really should log on to look that up sometime hehe) Was a long time ago now though, went the Mods still came in and hung out with the community..../Sigh.

But yeah, the Naked Krayt Graveyard runs were always a laugh......hahaha, or the DWB using a CDEF pistol....Not much fun when you were a Dark Jedi, haha, but still we at least had some force powers I guess, the tanks were so busy, and each mob took what felt like an eternity to kill, and the worst part of it was, half the time the mobs you have already killed would respawn behind you and begin attacking you again, hehe.

All the silly fishing events and things, but the ones I miss the most? Pre-Cu camping trips on Dath.

Just a load of us sitting in a huge ranger camp, having fun, whilst someone trouble maker or two would run off and drag a whole load of Rancors or Nightsisters into our midst Smile They were blinking hard to kiill back then as well.....I remember the 1st time I ever saw and eventually killed an Ancient Bull Rancor on Dath, it took 10 of us over an hour to bring that sucka down, doctors healing, rezzing and buffing people like crazy to keep the fight going, and then when it finally fell to the ground in dropped an Bile Soaked Rancor tooth which took center stage on a table in one of my houses to remember the night, and a stone knife, which had one of the most evil poison Dots I have ever seen in that game. Smile

Man so many good times.....how I miss them....and I really hope this game brings some of those kind of memories back to game again Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:38 pm

In an online game, my guild in LotRO was small but friendly and helpful. Luckily the small nice guilds formed an alliance with each other with a custom chat channel -- we had the best of both worlds, small and large. I'd be there still if the game didn't have the item shop.

In a pen and paper game, running a D&D tournament dungeon. The player characters all started in the same marketplace when the local prince was attacked by the bad guys, causing the prince and his entourage to leap into one tunnel while all the PCs leapt into another as the entrances to both tunnels collapsed. The group's overall goal was to get out of the dungeon.

However, each character had a different alignment and a different secret sub-goal. One wanted to steal the prince's jewelled dagger; another had been in the market to elope with the prince and wanted to protect him from all harm. A third character had been in the market to sell all his goods, trying to pay high taxes imposed by the prince's policies -- here was a chance for revenge. And so it went for every PC. Each was graded on points and all the creature die rolls and actions were determined in advance to apply equally to all. Ran something like 8 groups through it and all had a blast. Got to give out great prizes for best group, best player, and best roleplay.

Back to top Go down
Crebain

Crebain

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:37 pm

It was love at first sight. I could see he was completely lost. It was at the river dividing Durotar and the Barrens (WoW). I was killing crocolisks as a lvl 6 warrior for some quest that took an eternity to complete. He was a troll mage using keyboard turning. He asked me in some broken english where he could find something. I helped him out, taught him to speak/type english (germans *sigh*) and we remained the best friends in wow for 5 years. He's still playing and probably will join me in SWTOR as well.

He would probably tell you the same story (the other way around Razz). Strangely this friendship is bigger then the whole wow game, I mean sure wow has brought me some nice events and memories, but I found true camaradery (how do I spell this) there. He's not an RP guy at all, AT ALL, but I'm into RP and there is mutual respect to what we like in games.

To see a community like RIG growing with these kind of people is truly great.
Back to top Go down
Jester

Jester

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Jester
Class: Trooper
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 am

During the time i played dark age of camelot ,i played it since right after it launched and It developed a rather tight knitt comunity.
The game heavily depended on players helping eachother to accomplish things and massive player events where not uncommon.
One of the game's objectives in terms of realm versus realm war was the seize and hold relics,this whould include hordes of players coordinating with eachother assaulting the keep holding the relic while others tried to keep them out,all of this happend in a freely accesable zone,you could have as much as 300 people fighting eachother.
Realm rivalry inspired many to bond together and many great guilds were formed,many great friendships aswel.

The most stunning events tho were the ones that spawned out of sheer respect,i remember a time when a rather well known and liked player died.
Hundreds of people gathered ingame,from across the realms,all dye'd in black

the event was captured on tape and it is for me a constant reminder of what a true community used to be like

Click for video

Back to top Go down
Crebain

Crebain

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 am

That's some heavy stuff Jester. I've had a death in the guild once. His name was Massamooney troll warrior in WoW. He died falling down the stairs breaking his neck, on his daughters birthday. We had a similar march. From Orgrimmar to the Fallen Hero statue in the Barrens, a few hundred showed up. It was very impressive. And it only shows how real friendships and social relations can become in a mmo. This happened on the Moonglade server, in the guild Wrath. Apparantly there is no longer a vid about it. Happened about 4 years ago. That's the stuff that sticks...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your past Great Community Experiences?   Your past Great Community Experiences? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your past Great Community Experiences?
Page 1 of 1