The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thick Skinned and Toughening Up

Go down 
+19
Lugaidh
HDubNZ
Xaxus
Yospeck
Aurazor
Godric_Barbarosa
Havenae
Grome
Coldhart
Baelyrn
azarhal
Horeon
Variable
SandsS
Selven
Gamewiz
Schwendo
Kai-Sun
Darka
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Lugaidh
Incurable smartass
Lugaidh

Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 4:27 am

Grome wrote:
Lugaidh wrote:
Don't believe anything Schwendo says! It's a trap!!
I bet now you wish you had that ackbar smiley from the official forums.

"Rule number three: There's no jackin it in my van! Don't give me that look admiral Jackbar!!" -Fanboys the movie
Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:27 am

I won't get into the whole Blacklist or No Blacklist debate. But what I will say helps the situation is to add a sticky note to your ignored player. Don't just ignore them..put your reasoning for it next to their name so when you warn another friend you can remind them of exactly what they did. Mind you your ignore list may wind up reading like a bad drama novel but at least you'll be informed...

Ignore List

Darth Sally <Fu*#ing ninja bit84 >

Logan Begone <Childish retard in trade channel>

Hairy Harry <Treats newbies like crap>

Leno Jared <He's better than everyone else>

Looty Fruit <Enjoys using the Auction House trick to screw players>

Joshty Swee <Changed loot to Master Looter then left>

Tardy Lard < had to stop cursing in general chat b/c his mom caught him>

Seriously guys...it works. And I assure you if it's not in the game at launch it'll either be added or it will be one of the first UI mods of SWTOR. It's in EVERY MMO ignore list.

Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:26 am

Lugaidh wrote:
Don't believe anything Schwendo says! It's a trap!!

What am I piloting a Mon-Cal Cruiser now?? Wink

Ackbar-"We can't repel Schwendo's firepowaa' of that magnitude!!!

*turns ship around and hypers out of the Endor system*
Back to top Go down
Zooball

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Variable wrote:
This really reminds me of a turning point during my technical training when I was in the Air Force. First off, for anyone who hasn't been in the military or isn't aware, it can be fairly brutal; especially if you're the type of person that takes things to heart. Essentially, its survival of the fittest. If you show that a certain comment made an effect on you, then you are decended upon and heckled mercilessly. Obviously, there were varying degrees of this practice, the work still got done without anyone actually bursting into tears, but to an outsider's viewpoint, its pretty dog-eat-dog.

With that bit of explanation out of the way, there was an airman in my class that I can only describe as the physical embodiment of an internet troll. The kind of guy you just look at and say, "Christ, what an asshole." For the first few weeks of our training he started testing the waters, poking fun at everyone in turn and gauging reactions. Eventually, my turn came one morning as we awaited the instructor. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I remember feeling my face flush and clinching my fists. I'm not easy to rile, but I already didn't like the guy because of his sport at the expense of everyone around him. It must have been a real zinger because the entire class stopped to see how I would react. The expression on his face I will never forget because he seemed to wait in silent and pleasured antisipation for my reaction. He was daring me to get mad.

Instead of getting mad, I called him on it. "Are you daring me to get pissed at you," I asked. To which he responded by laughing his ass off. After that, we were cool. I'm not sure if it was that he realized I wasn't dumb enough to play into his little game and would therefore never be quite as satisfying a target as those few that reacted everytime. We wound up being pretty good friends throughout tech school, even though I would still classify him (then and now) as an asshole. We would still give each other a good razzing, as friends do, but I was able to tell him to lay off the trash talk without reprisal if I wasn't in the mood for it.

I've gotten to the end of this without much of a point, I know, but this topic really brought this memory back. I suppose if there is a moral, its that people like this are looking for a negative reaction, so don't give them the satisfaction. Check your anger, toughen up, and consider the source.

LOL I used to troll the trolls in my Army training-----------then they made me an instructor, oops.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Zoo!! Army Dog!!
Back to top Go down
Garbon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Garbon
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 8:23 pm

I completely agree that tough skins are nessicary. Leading by example is key, and if we don't respond to trolls, rude players, etc., then hopefully others will also ignore them.

As far as a blacklist goes, I'm not completely against one, but steps would have to be taken to ensure it is not abused. I do not believe any random player should be able to blacklist someone. There would need to be a trustworthy group who could backlist people or something similar to prevent innocent players from being blacklisted. In addition, the reason the player was blacklisted should be listed as well as his/her character's name. And of course players who improve should be removed from the list.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Garbon wrote:
I completely agree that tough skins are nessicary. Leading by example is key, and if we don't respond to trolls, rude players, etc., then hopefully others will also ignore them.

As far as a blacklist goes, I'm not completely against one, but steps would have to be taken to ensure it is not abused. I do not believe any random player should be able to blacklist someone. There would need to be a trustworthy group who could backlist people or something similar to prevent innocent players from being blacklisted. In addition, the reason the player was blacklisted should be listed as well as his/her character's name. And of course players who improve should be removed from the list.
Blacklist: Or one gets "blacklisted" once he is suggested x times (by different people)... Blacklist should keep people for a fixed duration (or depending on what the person did).
Additionally, the blacklist would not actually be a blacklist, but more of a "we suggest you ignore these people".
Back to top Go down
SandsS

SandsS

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Odium

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 8:42 pm

What would one call that sort of a list? A graylist? XD
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 pm

SandsS wrote:
What would one call that sort of a list? A graylist? XD
I guess Smile

It is just a suggestion anyway.
Back to top Go down
Garbon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Garbon
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:34 pm

[Blacklist: Or one gets "blacklisted" once he is suggested x times (by different people)... Blacklist should keep people for a fixed duration (or depending on what the person did).
Additionally, the blacklist would not actually be a blacklist, but more of a "we suggest you ignore these people".[/quote]

If that was implemented, approximately how many reports do you think it shoud take to put someone on the black/graylist? Obviously if the number is too small it can be abused, but if it is too large, no one will ever be black/graylisted.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Garbon wrote:
If that was implemented, approximately how many reports do you think it shoud take to put someone on the black/graylist? Obviously if the number is too small it can be abused, but if it is too large, no one will ever be black/graylisted.
In the end it depends on how many the community counts. I'd say something in the range of 3 to a max of 10. It does not really matter anyhow, because people that are part of guilds could get the numbers to back them immediately. That might be another good reason why those "blacklisted" should only be suggestions.
Or you ask for people seconding a suggestion that are from 3 different guilds at least.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:05 am

Grome wrote:
In the end it depends on how many the community counts. I'd say something in the range of 3 to a max of 10. It does not really matter anyhow, because people that are part of guilds could get the numbers to back them immediately. That might be another good reason why those "blacklisted" should only be suggestions.
Or you ask for people seconding a suggestion that are from 3 different guilds at least.

I think we have been around long enough to know when someone's trolling. There is a code of conduct or charter for RIG and when someone steps outside that it's up to the moderators to act.

If we agree on some general guidelines then we should be fine. For instance if someone personally attacks or makes derogatory comments about another member that really have no basis in courtesy or fact then the Mod deletes the post and chats to them.

If the person concerned then continues with their poor behaviour the mods can suspend or exclude. As a community we should turn from the darkside of trolling and either ignore the offending comment or courteously inform the poster that it's unacceptable in our community. Of course that could just feed the troll. If said offender is part of a guild, hand over the guild leader to deal with.

We have good mods and a strong senior membership. We'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 am

Well, definitely no disrespect on here guys, but I wouldn't even take it as far as trying to make an actual community wide black/grey list. I think word of mouth "hey be careful with that guy" will work just fine. I may go as far as making a post on Crazies' site, but not sure of anything further than that. (That would be my idea of a blacklist/warning list)...that and IG ignore.

TBH, most of us will sum things up to having a few words with that certain person IG ourselves and call it good. If that person leaves or chills out then we'll probably never speak of it again. If they persist or it gets worse, then it turns into hurassment and can be handled nicely by a suspension from the devs. Personally I won't hesitate to have someone suspended if they actual are following me around harassing me. And all my respect for them just flew out the window. Now mind you I'm not one who constantly yells "Reported" in chat, but I will stick up for my rights and the rights of my fellow gamers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:45 am

Gotta say, I agree, Cold.

In the end it may be better if we just get in and have fun. If we really do feel like we might actually need such a thing, we can still come back to it. In the meantime, report if it is really bad, maybe warn others, yes.

Dub: Yes, in the forums there shouldn't be any problems to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 6:12 am

Its tough on that situation. Many opinions to both extremes. Try and be nice to the person could get you walked on. To harsh and you're stooping to their level/ 2 wrongs don't make a right rule. Walking a tight rope is prolly the best (and hardest). I think each "bad apple" should be reviewed on a case by case basis, as each person will vary in their IG actions...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thick Skinned and Toughening Up   Thick Skinned and Toughening Up - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thick Skinned and Toughening Up
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The R.I.G. :: General Discussion - Talk about anything SW:TOR-
Jump to:  
This site is in not endorsed by or affiliated with LucasArts, BioWare, or Electronic Arts.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or its affiliates. © 2008-2010 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved. BioWare and the BioWare logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.
You may not copy any images, videos or sound clips found on this site or „deep link‟ to any image, video or sound clip directly.Game content and materials copyright LICENSOR. All Rights Reserved.
Forumotion's free forums | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com