The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To guild or not to guild?

Go down 
+7
Kai-Sun
Schwendo
Mongo
Godric_Barbarosa
Selven
Aldemarran
Ty-Odi
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

To guild or not to guild? Empty
PostSubject: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:08 pm

in the slightly bastardised and altered words of MacBeth....To guild or not to guild? That is the question? hehe Smile

Hi guys, was looking for some advice, for the past few months I have been mulling over the ‘What to do about a guild for SW:TOR?’ problem in my head. I have been giving a lot of though to this, I really have. Obviously like many of you, I would like a guild to call home, my difficulty has come in actually choosing between so many of the guilds on here, or creating my own? I could very easily join any one of about a dozen guilds on these boards…..(assuming they would even have me of course? Haha)

The other option is for myself to recreate my old guild from SWG as I am expecting one or two people to be coming across or back to play this game, but my concern with doing so, is the possible conflict of interest in trying to act as a figure head type person for the R.I.G, and then that of a guild leader who would obviously be looking to actively recruit people for my own guild. It is to this end that the latter has always been a bit of an issue for me, despite one or two people asking me if I was going to create my own guild, the last thing I would want to do is to use this site and the thread on the main boards etc as an advertising platform for recruitment to my own guild especially if this conflicts with any of you guys and your guilds.

Tough one.

The third option is to actually remain unguilded entirely, and as such be completely non-biased and as such I could act as a sort of moderator if this was ever required (Really don’t think it would be, and would hope not, but you never know) to help resolve any conflicts or to merely add a non-conflicted voice of reason in any guild Vs guild debate and so on?

There is a part of me that is unsure as to what to do, as in all honesty thanks to this site and all you guys, my own aims and goals for SW:TOR have actually changed. When this 1st came out, I saw it largely as ‘My last MMO’ I had become so tired of all the griefers and all the smack talking and general lack of respect I have witnessed that in many ways I initially set out to play this not so much as an MMO but of a online KOTOR type game. You guys have changed that, and I thank you all for it! Very Happy

Now, I am feeling more like the Ty-Odi who first entered into SWG (It was not my 1st MMO, but was probably the 1st I entered as a real community orientated player I guess) and to that degree I can actually see myself doing a lot more things to do with ‘The Community’ over the things I would do ‘For Ty-Odi’ and that’s a good thing. I aim to be right in the thick of setting up and organising events, helping others to set up theirs and so on, levelling as a former power leveller is actually for the first time not that big a deal for me, I am not entering this game to get to max asap, mostly due to the story side of this game and you guys and the greater ommunity as well, which I fully intend to enjoy and be a part of Smile and as such I am quite happy to reach end game as and when I get there, its not the target for me for this game, merely the destination. And with that in mind, I am also mindful I may not fit in with some of the more high end content driven guilds, which is fine.

So my question to you guys is really, what do you think I should do? Should I look to one of your guilds? (And if so who would have me? Haha) Should I give more thought into setting up my own guild? (would any of you fellow stragglers be interested in joining me if I did? Or would this potentially appear as a conflict of interests to anyone who may potentially join the RiG at a later date? I am very mindful of this?) Or should I walk alone? Remain impartial, and just enjoy being a part of the RiG, which in many ways just feels like an almighty huge guild anyways? lol
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Aldemarran

Aldemarran

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Agent Redacted
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Redacted

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 pm

In the general case I'm not sure I'd recommend remaining unguilded. Who wants a community leader who ostracizes himself from the community? (Yes, that's somewhat over-stated for purposes of explanation, but you can see what I mean.) You could possibly make it work, but it seems to defeat the purpose of any kind of "Massively Multiplayer Game". To do a little paraphrasing and plagiarizing of my own, what does it profit to save the whole server but lose your own community?

At the same time I can see two problems with running your own guild. #1 You may well have a conflict of interest arise. Even if you don't someone somewhere sometime is going to perceive it that way. #2 I doubt I need to tell you that being a Guild Master is time consuming. The demands on your time here alone are likely to impact your play time as-is. Even if you're willing to tackle a double workload sooner or later I expect it will burn you out. This is not something we want to see happen to you.

This reasoning points towards finding a guild and becoming no more than a officer in it. I know for myself the only guild I might create will be a small one for housing an alt or two I play only with "real life friends". Such a guild will mostly be for tinkering and unlikely to get into endgame. Therefore my main(s) will end up somewhere else. My plan for my main(s) is to put myself on the boards here with a description of what I'm looking for in a guild and see if there's anything along those lines already in the works. I can't speak to whether this plan would work for you, but maybe it will jog some ideas for you.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 pm

I was gonna say something similar to what Ald said, but he did such a good job of it Smile

I'm just gonna say that even if you started this whole mess (Wink ) nobody is expecting you to go unguilded. And choosing a guild doesn't equal excluding everyone else. We all know you're part of a bigger community than that no matter what. Like we all are.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Ty-Odi wrote:
in the slightly bastardised and altered words of MacBeth....To guild or not to guild? That is the question? hehe :

I'm going to assume you are bastardizing the wrong Shakespearean lead on purpose. That's OK you can correct it tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

I would agree with Ald on joining a guild and not creating another guild. I think there are to many overlapping guilds here already and I fear that once the game launches many people will play mainly with their own guild and not branch nout into the community which would be a shame.

And since you asked of us other unguilded, my main would not join a guild you created because you appear to be lost to the darkness. I don't know what I will be doing with my Empire alts yet, however.
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Mongo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Mongo
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Crazies

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Even Mongo know that is Romeo n Juliet, and bastardized aint so bad, you just run to the trailer house when dey call names.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 12:00 am

Well Ty,

I think that you should do whatever makes you happy. Guild or no guild, you have pals to play TOR with. We are already "bonding" with other RiG affiliated guilds/players to better streamline the "fun in gaming" process. That will surely continue as the launch looms near. I think you know by now, if you need ANYTHING in-game, let us (Da' Crazies) know. We got your back Ty. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 3:30 am

We'll be here regardless of what you pick, and be supportive. However, as many have said, I think it's a good idea you do pick a guild. Doesn't have to be today, or anytime soon, but really feel out where you'd feel most at home.

I'd also agree with Ald, being GM probably isn't a good thing if you're time is limited. I'm already going to have to manage my time very carefully and am probably going to be relying on my officers a lot.

There might be different guilds on here but it really is just one big guild. We're all RiG, we just have sub categories Razz
Back to top Go down
Variable
That Handsome Devil
Variable

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Soloman Bokur
Class: Imperial Agent
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:58 am

Only you know what's best for you Ty, but as others have said, it will be difficult leading multiple communities as well as trying to enjoy the game yourself.

For my part, I came here with not only with knowledge that I wanted to promote a better environment for gaming, but that I would also find a guild that also would allign itself to this purpose. I found this in spades and am now a proud member of Reign. While not in a leadership position, I am doing my part to encourage new members to join our community here and get on board with what Reign and RiG is all about. That's they way I envision this mindset seaping into the general ToR populace - each guild and each member being a cog in the engine that betters the overall landscape that we have to play in. So, where ever you settle, just let what we're trying to do here infect those around you.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 3:39 pm

I can see your point about having your own guild here on RIG. But TBH, there are a lot of us who have guilds here on RIG. This is about us as a community coming together. I know you started this, but why would you be no better than the rest of us who do have our guilds? Meaning...why would it be ok for us to have our guilds on here and not you? People who join the site can clearly see that there are numurous guilds here and that it wouldn't be merely a recruitment for your guild.

I can see where there may be a problem with time. Running a guild is time consuming as well as running RIG (especially when the game launches). But that's where you need to have officers in-game. People who will help you run your guild and take a lot of the burden off you. I've ran many guilds in many games. Trust me, you NEED those officers for help and support. It gets to be too much for one person to handle all the weight all the time. And with those officers, you free up time to manage RIG as well. And if you feel like it, maybe appoint several people on RIG as "officers" so to say. To help orginize things like mass PvP events or crafting events or whatever. Maybe make a post and ask who might like to help with this stuff and let them run the posts for advertizing the events. Having help eleviates a lot of the stress one gains when overburdened. So allow those here on RIG to help as well. Officers here, officers in-game...sounds like a finely oiled machine.

Ultimately, I would say do what's going to make you happy, not others. I know that's sounds like it conflicts with some of our thinking about the RIG community. But, you will be paying your sub fees to play a game that you enjoy. Don't allow it to be too much like work our you'll burn out fast. Just have fun and do what you feel is going to give you the most out of TOR and RIG.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craziesoftor.guildportal.com
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks guys some really helpful feedback!! Smile

I think I need to go find myself a home Smile so if. Any of you guys will have me, let me know and I will begin the process of finding said home for launch Smile
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Coldhart wrote:

Ultimately, I would say do what's going to make you happy, not others. I know that's sounds like it conflicts with some of our thinking about the RIG community.

Actually, I think it describes us. We want everyone to be happy, isn't that right? He should do what makes him happy, simply because we're all here no matter what he does choose, and it's not like he's going to disappear. We all know we each have lives and specific desires, and I'd say this thread is a good inclination that in any path he chooses we're going to still be one big RiG (rollin', rollin', rollin'...) regardless. We WANT him to be happy, however that is, and we'll help every step of the way.

Some of us do things for others because THAT makes us happy, but I don't think any of us would discredit a person for also thinking of themselves in a case like this, especially with Ty having put so much thought into it, especially since he thought of US first.
Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 am

Yep, exactly Kai. I know we all have the respect for others we should, but one has to put themself first in such decissions. It's all part of what makes you, you and makes me, me. (I did it all for da nookie, so you can take that cookie.....hey hey hey! I said that cookie. yes that nasty, molded green one. THIS one is MINE!!!)

lol!

And Ty, I think I speak for everyone when I say I think it's really up to you for your choice of guild. I'm sure all of us would be glad to have ya. And I guess I won't hold it against you if you wanna roll with some other guild lol Really tho, the way things are looking, most of us are going to be on one server anyway.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:31 am

Coldhart wrote:
hey hey hey!

Hello Krusty!

Coldhart wrote:

I said that cookie. yes that nasty, molded green one. THIS one is MINE!!!) .

Captain Kirk would be proud!
Back to top Go down
Aylin

Aylin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Aylin Reeves
Guild: ARES

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 am

Kai-Sun wrote:

Actually, I think it describes us. We want everyone to be happy, isn't that right? He should do what makes him happy, simply because we're all here no matter what he does choose, and it's not like he's going to disappear. We all know we each have lives and specific desires, and I'd say this thread is a good inclination that in any path he chooses we're going to still be one big RiG (rollin', rollin', rollin'...) regardless. We WANT him to be happy, however that is, and we'll help every step of the way.

Some of us do things for others because THAT makes us happy, but I don't think any of us would discredit a person for also thinking of themselves in a case like this, especially with Ty having put so much thought into it, especially since he thought of US first.

Whoa whoa wait a sec... did we just get RiG rolled? Razz

Seriously though, I agree 100%. I see RiG as the "mother guild". So Ty you should really just make up your mind about what you really want to do, and then just go for it Smile It's a game and whatever makes that game fun for you is what you should do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aresproject.de
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks again guys Smile

I know its stupid, but I am much more about the RiG and you guys as a whole than I ever would be about an indivdual guild.....This is why in many respects starting my own guild again has grown ever more unlikely since I started this whole crazy mess!! hehe Smile

I am glad of it though, to be a part of something like this is amazing, to actually be the person who started it all? Unbelievable, lol. I had just reached that pivotal point where I really just wanted something better, to try something to make it better, I can honestly tell you, hand on heart, I never in my wildest dreams imagined something like this would happen, and we would all be in this together and so looking forward to trying to make this all work!! Very Happy It has been an unbelievable roller coaster of a ride, and one I thank you all from the very bottom of my heart for being a part of! Smile You guys and girls are all truly amazing! Smile

I have recieved one or two offers from some of you and I thank you a great deal for those! Smile I do appologise for not responding sooner, but until I know in my own mind what I am going to do, I would not want to waste any of your time guys, so please excuse me until I have had time to really give this some thought Smile

I would also express that as stated above, though I would never do anything to discredit any guild I joined, I would also be here more for the RiG, I would not be looking for any form of leadership role of Officer role in a guild, as simply put, I honestly think this place and you guys will keep me more than busy enough once this game launches! Smile hehe. (I am sooooooo looking forward to it, you have no idea!! Smile Honestly my mind is in overdrive some days thinking of potential events and so on. Man how awesome is it gonna be, when we can run our 1st Rig led event!?!?!?)

So yes, if I do join you guys, or come to you about joining, please know, I will be RiG 1st and foremost, I know that should not really cause too much of a conflict as you guys would already be a part of it anyways hehe, but this is my baby really, and I really am so excited about it all!! Smile

Back to top Go down
Coldhart

Coldhart

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 3:11 pm

WOOT TY!

hey,with all those smilies, next time you need to plan your sentences so all the smilies make a picture of something lmao. Just kidding...I keeed, I keeed
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:35 am

Coldhart wrote:
WOOT TY!

hey,with all those smilies, next time you need to plan your sentences so all the smilies make a picture of something lmao. Just kidding...I keeed, I keeed

To guild or not to guild? 653443
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 6:08 am

Coldhart wrote:
WOOT TY!

Dont sunny listen What a Face to No him cheers Ty! I for one afro love da' Very Happy 's!!!

Anyways...the world farao needs To guild or not to guild? 756107 more To guild or not to guild? 551238 smilies! /hi5 Ty! To guild or not to guild? 240514 To guild or not to guild? 712499 To guild or not to guild? 4686 To guild or not to guild? 621926 To guild or not to guild? 430828 To guild or not to guild? 493948 To guild or not to guild? 686594 To guild or not to guild? 44873 To guild or not to guild? 943499 To guild or not to guild? 340951 To guild or not to guild? 362232 To guild or not to guild? 797246 To guild or not to guild? 20460 To guild or not to guild? 287971 To guild or not to guild? 801598 To guild or not to guild? 58811 To guild or not to guild? 931814
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 2:42 am

Schwendo wrote:
Coldhart wrote:
WOOT TY!

Dont sunny listen What a Face to No him cheers Ty! I for one afro love da' Very Happy 's!!!

Anyways...the world farao needs To guild or not to guild? 756107 more To guild or not to guild? 551238 smilies! /hi5 Ty! To guild or not to guild? 240514 To guild or not to guild? 712499 To guild or not to guild? 4686 To guild or not to guild? 621926 To guild or not to guild? 430828 To guild or not to guild? 493948 To guild or not to guild? 686594 To guild or not to guild? 44873 To guild or not to guild? 943499 To guild or not to guild? 340951 To guild or not to guild? 362232 To guild or not to guild? 797246 To guild or not to guild? 20460 To guild or not to guild? 287971 To guild or not to guild? 801598 To guild or not to guild? 58811 To guild or not to guild? 931814

Eggsakly! To guild or not to guild? 368635
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi guys, sorry for the absence. IRL has managed to take me away for some time, and after that my RAID0 had a fail, and it took me a while to recover it. (never want to do that again... the good news is lawl if had been a single drive I would have lost all data! so HAH! to all anti-raid0 folks out there..).

ANYWAY! (/end hijack).

So my response to the OP (yes I read all posts in topic!) is like this:

1. The way the RiG is set up, YOU are not the one "Running it all", and I doubt it will take SO MUCH of your time that you couldn't also run a guild, if you so chose.

2. I'm sure your guild would be set up in a similar manner, again, if you so chose.

3. There is absolutely no reason you cannot (or should not) join a guild (if you don't make one) -- liked the ostracized comment -- or more than one for that matter. Light side / Dark side / PvE / PvP / RP .... et c. LOTS of interest groups to take part in, and you have earned a position in any of them.

4. My "Free Web Host" is being PHAIL, so my site's still not up. But either way, Platinum would be as honored to have you as any other RiG-Registered guild would, and you know it . So "if anyone would have me" is pretty lawl. Razz

In short.... so long as you feel you're keeping to the tenets of this society of lost crazies, and you feel comfortable with your choices for yourself, not the community -- then neither is in violation of the other.

Er, Sorry for repeating what others have said... Smile

Peace,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To guild or not to guild?   To guild or not to guild? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To guild or not to guild?
Page 1 of 1