The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Play solo, play in a group?

Go down 
+25
Abslom-dak
CRR_Kathy
DaStar
JedinWaiting
Garbon
Stryklone
Tas
Rayviin
Leon
archifikos
Jester
Klixxy
Mannic
Gamewiz
Lanius
Narevek
Godric_Barbarosa
Ty-Odi
azarhal
HDubNZ
Dresgar
Kai-Sun
Brando Calrissian
Schwendo
Grome
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

Play solo, play in a group? Empty
PostSubject: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:52 am

I was just wondering. What do you think about this?

I usually like to take my time and follow my own speed. However I can't deny that a group experience is sometimes more fun.

Now with the story element added there sure are some arguments to support both sides of the topic.

I guess I enjoy leveling alone, but if I have the opportunity to group up with some in here more regularly then I certainly would, I think. Especially if it's to be in Vent together and have the multiplayer story dialog with you guys... I think it would be lots of fun Smile
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 am

I plan on playing both. I will be on some strange hours..like I said, due to the job, and my son. I think group play is more fun, after all, thats why we're in an MMO in the first place. If we just wanted a video game, we would play something completely different. BUT, at times, its cool to "cat" around solo style too...Especially when you logged on by yourself at 4am! Smile
Back to top Go down
Brando Calrissian

Brando Calrissian

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:24 am

Schwendo wrote:
I plan on playing both. I will be on some strange hours..like I said, due to the job, and my son. I think group play is more fun, after all, thats why we're in an MMO in the first place. If we just wanted a video game, we would play something completely different. BUT, at times, its cool to "cat" around solo style too...Especially when you logged on by yourself at 4am! Smile

/agreed Smile
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:34 am

I do both, sometimes when leveling I'm a pretty hardcore soloer, but I really do enjoy grouping a great deal.

Depends on what is going on and how much time I have.
Back to top Go down
Dresgar

Dresgar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dres Gar
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:06 am

To be honest I usually enjoy solo best, unless my partner is at the same speed I am.
Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:19 am

I like a mixture of both - levelling I generally solo and do group stuff where necessary or on with a friend.

There is something to be said for meeting up with a group of good friends for some good ole fashion fun!

Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Like the others, I kind of prefer soloing for levelling, especially with all the back and forth. Everybody got their own speed for that and finding somebody who go at your speed can be hard. I do find groups a lot more fun though, but they are mostly reserved for longer quests and dungeons.

Although, all that is for the "other" MMOs. I'm not sure how SWTOR will be in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 pm

Well I dabble in both.

I suspect with my Main I will likely do both, as and when I have time, and who is around and so on, the game will be new to all at that point, and there is nothing like sharing an experience like going to a new planet for the 1st time with someone, always makes it so much more exciting if you ask me? Smile

My alts? thse guys are usually my bullet power levelling chars, I will solo these guys when no one else is around most of the time, unless someone needs help with something then I will jump over and give them a hand with my alt.

Then there is the other type of grouping.....Power Levelling a friend. I have done this a lot in other MMO's mostly due to lack of story or decent content being in those games till end game, somehow I think this may be different however, but we shall see? But yes, If your low level, and simply want to get an Alt or something to max level so you have a different trinity/DPS type for Raiding or PVP then hit me up with a tell, and I will come and run you through what ever you need, for as long as you need. I have lost count of the number of times I have done this for people? lol.

I love grouping, I love going to somewhere new for the 1st time with someone, those shared experiences are always the most magical, and memories from those times stick with you often for years. So i at least hope to group up a LOT with my main when this game is all new to us all Smile
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 pm

I solo/group almost purely based on content. I love playing in groups but if content is soloable I will generally solo it. I love playing in groups but I hate waiting to get a group together or when someone drops out partway into an instance.
Back to top Go down
Narevek

Narevek

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 pm

I will solo in the early levels, but later on if there are friends/guildmates online, or if the content creates a need for it, I'll get in a group.
Back to top Go down
http://eclipse-guild.com
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:35 pm

I love to quest in groups, especially grind quests. Makes the game much more fun to me since I usualy play healers even while leveling up.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Lanius wrote:
I love to quest in groups, especially grind quests. Makes the game much more fun to me since I usualy play healers even while leveling up.
It will be a much more viable option even solo now thanks to the companion system.
Back to top Go down
Lanius

Lanius

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Grome wrote:
Lanius wrote:
It will be a much more viable option even solo now thanks to the companion system.

Yep. I'm thinking that too since "Presence" increases your healing and your companion's damage. : D
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Here's a nice example,

In SWG back in very early 05', we had guild "Spin groups". We'd go out and take high level "Ronto" (that tall necked animal they added in Mos Eisely in the re-made SW IV ANH yeah that one, the Jawas fell off it.) hunt missions. The Jedi trainees would go out and level that way. Plus, it was when the BH's were coming in to gank them, which made for a very entertaining afternoon! The "grind" was very monotonous, but, the guildies had fun in Team Speak, and typing. It made the long time we did those missions "fun".
Back to top Go down
Gamewiz

Gamewiz

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:41 pm

During the leveling process, I typically like to go solo for all standard quests. There are, of course, situations however when I do group up.

When a quest is too hard, or I completed quest chains faster than I gained levels and things start to get a little hard in a particular zone, I'll ask around for help to complete my objectives. And vise versa. If I'm not really busy and in the area of someone who needs help, I'll lend them a hand.

Any group quests or flashpoints I will obviously group up with.

But in a general sense, if I'm just plugging through the content and enjoying the leveling up process, I like to ride it solo. What I've never been a fan of is grouping just for the sake of grouping, and turning quests that, while provide a decent challenge soloing, into more of a grind because they become so easy with two people knocking them out. When I group with people during general questing, I feel like I'm rushing the content.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 am

Gamewiz wrote:
But in a general sense, if I'm just plugging through the content and enjoying the leveling up process, I like to ride it solo. What I've never been a fan of is grouping just for the sake of grouping, and turning quests that, while provide a decent challenge soloing, into more of a grind because they become so easy with two people knocking them out. When I group with people during general questing, I feel like I'm rushing the content.
That's a good point. I feel that way too. I just didn't realize this was what I was feeling hehe

I like a challenge and that's what has kept me from grouping sometimes... sometimes things can be a challenge in a group as well - which is then better. But Gamewiz is right: most leveling quests will probably lose its challenge if you group up for it. This would make me feel like rushing it as well...

Oh, by the way, can you guys explain me that "Presence" thing? I seem to have missed it completely?
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:48 am

Gamewiz do have a good way of explaning it. I also feel like that most of the time, especially in the lower levels.

Grome wrote:
Oh, by the way, can you guys explain me that "Presence" thing? I seem to have missed it completely?

One of the stats is called Presence, it boost the healing abilities of the classes and it also improve the companions health (and probably other statistic as well). It's also the stat that act as "charisma" in the game. It's pretty much a buffing stat for the buffing class. Laughing

And the Smuggler get a nice high level ability that buff all of the group Presence stat.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 am

Oh, so sort of a passive buff? That's pretty neat Smile
Back to top Go down
Mannic

Mannic

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 4:17 am

I am 90% solo until I reach end game, though I'm not averse to grouping before that. It's just too difficult to coordinate with people who all are going at their own pace.

By end game though it becomes about 50/50 solo / group for me. And in PvP I love to fight with a small, tight-knit squad that knows what its doing.

Back to top Go down
Klixxy

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:18 am

Hmmmm,

I like to pretty much solo the leveling content when I first start a game just so i can get to grips with my toon and try and lern as much as possible but also so I can take the story line in my own pace ( bit of a slow reader )
but then again I dont mind helping peeps out at a tough section or grouping up to get the job done.

Back to top Go down
HDubNZ

HDubNZ

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kaya Jun
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 am

..and just to be smart, I don't think you'll be allowed to play any kind of Solo in game.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Klixxy wrote:
Hmmmm,

I like to pretty much solo the leveling content when I first start a game just so i can get to grips with my toon and try and lern as much as possible but also so I can take the story line in my own pace ( bit of a slow reader )
but then again I dont mind helping peeps out at a tough section or grouping up to get the job done.

Well it seems like in TOR there will be very little reading since it will be fully Voiced. That being said you'll still have to read subtitles for alien languages.
Back to top Go down
Ty-Odi
Dark Lord of Spam
Ty-Odi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Ty-Odi
Guild: To Be Confirmed.....

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Godric_Barbarosa wrote:
Klixxy wrote:
Hmmmm,

Well it seems like in TOR there will be very little reading since it will be fully Voiced. That being said you'll still have to read subtitles for alien languages.

What so you don't speak fluent Trandosian or Wookie?

Tut Tut....call yourself a Star Wars fan...........hahaha Smile

Yeah I think much will be avoided by voice over, though i suspect even then, it will be supplimented by text, even if it is spoken in galactic basic. Just makes sense for people who don't have speakers or are deaf etc.
Back to top Go down
https://respectingaming.forumotion.co.uk
Jester

Jester

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Jester
Class: Trooper
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm going to make an asumption here that everyone has played Kotor,so in a sence most off us should know what to expect anyways ^^,or at least i'm asuming that besides the convo wheel the conversations will be pretty much the same

If you havent ,borrow it from someone,or buy it off steam (9 euro's)

Personaly i adore challenges and solo'ing things i'm not supposed to,my deathknight especialy used to think group quests were kinda haha funny ^^
My biggest problem with grouping is outleveling content becouse i realy like stories,so that is kind of a big deal for me

On the other hand when you do find a fun bunch of people to group with and share some laughs ,it usualy never fails to deliver a fun filled evening (or night/morning ^^) ,so i'm going to go with the majority here and say a little bit of both depending on how the mood strikes me and the time allows.

never felth better about being mediocre Play solo, play in a group? 419890
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Ty-Odi wrote:

Yeah I think much will be avoided by voice over, though i suspect even then, it will be supplimented by text, even if it is spoken in galactic basic. Just makes sense for people who don't have speakers or are deaf etc.

I and reading the text will probably be faster than listening to it for those power levelers but far less enjoyable. If the galactic basic does have subtitles I hope there is a way to turn it off (like in KOTOR). I don't need the extra text clogging up my screen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play solo, play in a group?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next