The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Play solo, play in a group?

Go down 
+25
Abslom-dak
CRR_Kathy
DaStar
JedinWaiting
Garbon
Stryklone
Tas
Rayviin
Leon
archifikos
Jester
Klixxy
Mannic
Gamewiz
Lanius
Narevek
Godric_Barbarosa
Ty-Odi
azarhal
HDubNZ
Dresgar
Kai-Sun
Brando Calrissian
Schwendo
Grome
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
archifikos

archifikos

Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 am

I'm more of a soloer myself. I play my games to unwind, and when I'm not feeling the urge for social contact. That's not to say I don't group, I consider myself a good enough team player, but I generally prefer keeping to myself.

I also dislike raiding - large groups of people make me uncomfortable IRL unless I know them all very very well and it sort of reflects in my gaming habits bounce
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:15 am

archifikos wrote:
I'm more of a soloer myself. I play my games to unwind, and when I'm not feeling the urge for social contact. That's not to say I don't group, I consider myself a good enough team player, but I generally prefer keeping to myself.

I also dislike raiding - large groups of people make me uncomfortable IRL unless I know them all very very well and it sort of reflects in my gaming habits bounce
I understand your point.

While I like raiding (at least with good people in a good atmosphere) I also like to be the lone wolf from time to time - it's just a feeling that's part of MMO gaming for me (out alone, exploring dangerous things...) - and it can't really be done in single player games (with the same feeling of exploring a living and real world) - so, yes, solo play is a crucial part of MMOs.
Back to top Go down
Mannic

Mannic

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 7:50 pm

archifikos wrote:

I've never like crowds IRL, or really even parties, for that matter. I always feel like I'm trying to be something I'm not (an extrovert.) That's never carried over into gaming for me, though. Maybe because I assume most of the people who game are more like me than if I'm bumping around a party in Pacific Beach with 6 or 7 vodka tonics in me.
Back to top Go down
Leon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Jade Solborne
Class: Trooper
Guild: Force Academy (Phoenix Battalion)

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I usually prefer solo, like to challenge myself, see what I can get through on my own before asking for help. BUT I plan to try at least SOME grouping in TOR, especially since I plan to be RP'ing a lot, but we will see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Rayviin

Rayviin

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:43 pm

I tend to agree with several previous posters; i.e., grouping mostly solo for leveling except on harder/longer quest chains.

On that note I think it would be great if they could implement some kind of difficulty slider for general content. kind of like the heroic
level instances in wow but more for open world quests and mobs. (please inform me if this has been tried in other mmo's and how it went off if it has been)

That way you could group when you felt like it but still feel challenged as well. And it would also be good for those that like to
try to solo difficult content. They could up the difficulty and try to solo quest/mob/what-have-you and if it proved too difficult well
just readjust the slider and try again if you want.

Sorry if I went a little off-topic there-I thought it was relevant to the discussion. Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 16668
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Rayviin wrote:
I tend to agree with several previous posters; i.e., grouping mostly solo for leveling except on harder/longer quest chains.

On that note I think it would be great if they could implement some kind of difficulty slider for general content. kind of like the heroic
level instances in wow but more for open world quests and mobs. (please inform me if this has been tried in other mmo's and how it went off if it has been)

That way you could group when you felt like it but still feel challenged as well. And it would also be good for those that like to
try to solo difficult content. They could up the difficulty and try to solo quest/mob/what-have-you and if it proved too difficult well
just readjust the slider and try again if you want.

Sorry if I went a little off-topic there-I thought it was relevant to the discussion. Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 16668

One issue with the difficulty slider is that then you open up another can of worms on whether harder difficulty settings should get better gear drops/rewards.
Back to top Go down
Tas

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm a hardcore solo'er myself, I spent last 20 years at sea so I am not the most polished person in world heeh an some people dont quite know how to take my twisted sence of humor, so solo playing keeps me happy.I do group with friends, but I try never to do so with just random people....
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Tas wrote:
I'm a hardcore solo'er myself, I spent last 20 years at sea so I am not the most polished person in world heeh an some people dont quite know how to take my twisted sence of humor, so solo playing keeps me happy.I do group with friends, but I try never to do so with just random people....
I have that same problem with humor sometimes Razz
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Grome wrote:
I have that same problem with humor sometimes Razz

That's why you get kick. geek
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Naw, Gromey,

You have a good sense of humor Smile, well for a Swiss guy Wink. (then again, you're the ONLY Swiss guy in here! hehe)

*Schwen goes up and climbs the "Mordwand" of "the Eiger"*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiger
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 pm

I just live in Switzerland Razz
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm kiddin' Grome /noogie...I figured you'd like the reference. I'm a History-Geography major. (Was going to be a professor before the "Dj, free beer, free Women" thing got started in 1998' Wink)
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:02 am

Schwendo wrote:
I'm kiddin' Grome /noogie...I figured you'd like the reference. I'm a History-Geography major. (Was going to be a professor before the "Dj, free beer, free Women" thing got started in 1998' Wink)
Impressive!

Well, I like being "neutral" Wink
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:08 am

All is wellin Camelot....er...The Second "Ghetto-Unfinished" Death Star...
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 am

Schwendo wrote:

History-Geography major?

Any plans on playing an historian in TOR?
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:39 am

Hehe, unknown ATM. It would be cool to tie in some KOTAR references along with examples from that SWTOR book "Fatal Alliance".

I still have the 'History of the Crazies" to write, and what a story that is!
Back to top Go down
Stryklone

Stryklone

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 am

My MMO levelling speed makes grass growing seem blindingly fast by comparision.

I really enjoy getting the maximum enjoyment out of the journey. Levelling so slowly keeps me from outrunning content and getting bored waiting for an expansion. In LotRO (thanks to working on boosting Virtues) my main took 19 months to reach max level, and only because I wanted to leave the game on a high note! That was with playing 10-30 hours a week the whole time.

Add odd hours and stopping to enjoy a pretty game sky and that means a lot of solo.

There are no qualms to dropping everything to help someone who's doing content I've done but don't like playing content out of sequence, especially when a story is involved! Another advantage is I'm around a lot longer to help other lower levels.

Also, so far I've only had two bad PUGs in games (knock on wood) so helping the new guys hasn't left a bad taste ... yet.

Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:49 am

Stryklone wrote:

I really enjoy getting the maximum enjoyment out of the journey. Levelling so slowly keeps me from outrunning content and getting bored waiting for an expansion. In LotRO (thanks to working on boosting Virtues) my main took 19 months to reach max level, and only because I wanted to leave the game on a high note! That was with playing 10-30 hours a week the whole time.

Add odd hours and stopping to enjoy a pretty game sky and that means a lot of solo.

There are no qualms to dropping everything to help someone who's doing content I've done but don't like playing content out of sequence, especially when a story is involved! Another advantage is I'm around a lot longer to help other lower levels.

Also, so far I've only had two bad PUGs in games (knock on wood) so helping the new guys hasn't left a bad taste ... yet.
That's admirable I think Smile
While I hate to rush leveling, I never have been able to give it as much time as I would like and I generally feel like if I have time on my hands, I should level - I can do the hanging around later. Also, due to the raiding I wanted to get to max level.

I don't know how it's gonna be this time, but I sure don't plan to rush things. I want to enjoy the leveling process - all the while probably still getting to max at some point Smile
Back to top Go down
Garbon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Garbon
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:23 pm

I'll probably mostly solo, at least while leveling, but I do intend to group for flashpoints.
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Stryklone wrote:

I will likely level pretty slowly in this game as well. I'm an explorer type and just can't help poking my head everywhere. Add to this that I will probably be playing at least four characters up to the Advance class split to start.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 am

Stry,

I hear ya on the "journey" of levelling a toon. Ive done it both ways, the power grind just is'nt that much fun. Your way is more fun. I have no clue how I'm going to go once the game launches. If I get all excited (prolly will), I'll power grind it. But, ya never know...Wink
Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 am

If I get really caught up in the story, which I think I may, I'll wind up soloing alot. Every few hours or so of soloing I'll feel like I need to join a group and I'll do so for a dungeon or group quest.

I'll probably solo as much as I can while also making sure that I group up for every dungeon so I can experience it as I level. I always feel like I've missed content if I solo grind and never experience a dungeon/flashpoint.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 am

Well Jedin,

I think once you see all the hilarity we are bringing to the table, you prolly wont want to miss out on some of our "Crazy runs" Wink.
Back to top Go down
DaStar

DaStar

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Da'Star Trebor-Zar
Class: Sith Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Well, Depends on how the set up is with Quests. From the vids I have watched looks like there may be Storyline/Group quests and storyline/solo quests. So should cater to all sides. I love Grinding out lvls when I am with friends to goof off with while killing the same mobs. but if the story is that good I would like to read what is going on so I might solo a bit to read the quests and take it all in. For example. I never read 1 quest for SWG it was all about the grind and friends. but in FFXI the game was PARTY-BASED and there was a main story that you could go thru. You didn't have to do the story to progress in the game. But to get access to certain areas you had to do the Story-Quests and they were all Group based quests so you had to work as a team. I liked this aspect of gaming. In WoW and Warhammer I just wanted to cap out as fast as I could so I could do End game instances. SO I will take a look at how the starter quests are and go from there.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

I think you will play in a group o' Stra....

You know why?? Here's a few words to shock that ole' memory of yours!!

*Squill Cave

*Fort Tusken

*Cloning and running the 10 minute run berk to Fort Tusken

*Lok (the whole damned planet...ha! Selv' filter!)

*Spin Groups

*The "Fightin' Dewbacks"

*The Krazy Krayt Kantina (formerly the "Black Panther Party..Down with Whitey")

*20 man Dath' Rancor groups

*Your "All White" Ranger outfit/Pimp Camps

*Mazi Warin (there, I said it....screw u Cold'!! Wink)

There's no solo'n in those things bro!! hehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play solo, play in a group?   Play solo, play in a group? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play solo, play in a group?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next