The R.I.G.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Respect In Gaming

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Server priority

Go down 
+34
Dresgar
Aohh
Philtony
Aldemarran
Matte_Black
Darka
Belenos
Natheless
Arzon
Pyara_Raga
Crebain
JedinWaiting
Mythicrose
Xavier
Godric_Barbarosa
Selven
Lord_Paladin
Schwendo
Lanius
Zepour
vgk
Lugaidh
azarhal
Variable
ShavedEwok
Grome
Lednik
Snakezzz
Velaxi
Ty-Odi
Kai-Sun
Horeon
Sylrah
Gamewiz
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What one aspect is most important for you in choosing a server for RiG?
I want it to be a PvP server.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap11%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 8 ]
I want it to be a PvE server.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap23%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 16 ]
I want it to be an RP server.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap10%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
I want it to be a PvP-RP server.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap25%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 25% [ 18 ]
I want the server to be West coast of the US.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap3%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
I want the server to be East coast of the US.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap10%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
I want the server to be European.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap13%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 9 ]
I want the server to be Oceanic.
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap1%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
I want something not listed (please elaborate)
Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_lcap4%Server priority - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 71

AuthorMessage
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Dayn
Class: Jedi Consular
Guild:

Server priority - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:23 pm

I am seriously hoping that there are no server types. In fact, I am going to write BioWare a very long letter citing examples from numerous MMOs as to why this is better for the community in the long run.

My argument is basically thus:

If you're confident in the design of the game, you'll have stuff to keep all factions of the game happy.

Designating servers creates population imbalances, and segregates players. I feel this is why WoW has to constantly re-balance some servers. 90% of the time, it's not any designated server that needs re-balancing, but only "generic" ones.

If you allow the community to designate their own server titles, you'll lead to a more equitable server population, because the "hardcore" will seek out what they're looking for. PvPers will look for the server with the most competitive PvP without you having to designate one as such. RPers will seek out active RP communities to RP with. BioWare would be better server by allowing server transfer, but not designating any server as anything.

In contrast, if you dedicate servers to something, for example. let's say there are 4 RP servers. Well, you're going to effectively cut the RP community in 4ths (where as self regulated would fill one server to capacity, and then only seek out a second when the community had no room to sustain more). Not to mention there are people that will seek out RP servers in order to grief them, or non-RPers because they feel the servers are more mature.

PvPers, IMHO, tend to be less attached to their servers than RPers, but at the same time, every time you designate an additional server as PvP, you're splitting the community. If you leave them undesignated, the PvPers will go looking.

Leave it to the community to chose these servers, and you will have a much more robust community. You also don't get the RPers running around "flagging" someone with a non-RP name, nor a more hostile environment towards people not RPing on "their" server.

IMHO the most successful RP communities come from undesignated status, where they have to work with the community.

I have less experience with PvP server.

RPvP is one of my favorite things to do, and as long as the game allows for it, RPers will gather around together to do it. I had great fun running an RPvP guild on an RP server. I would not, however, want to play on an RP PvP server, since I know for a fact PvPers look at them as "Easy marks" and will come there specifically as non-RPers.

If there are no server desinations, than that makes the job of coordinating this lovely community all that much easier. We can pick one server, and it can be everything that we, as a community make it. RP+PvP+RPVP+NonRP. It's the best of all worlds.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven
Guild: Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:43 pm

I voted "other" because I'm hoping there will be no server segregations when PvP is concerned. I think optional PvP on all servers is the way to go. Maybe I'm biased, but it worked in SWG and I truely believe that's the way to go.

The US/EU choice is not important to me, as I will follow my guild first. Then make an alt if a lot of you guys end up on an EU server.
Back to top Go down
Velaxi
Just Married
Velaxi

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Velaxi
Guild: Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:47 pm

You do realise that it's possible (even probable) that you would have to get a different retail version of the game to play on eu/na if you're not physically in that area?
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Kai-Sun
Class: Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Selven wrote:
I voted "other" because I'm hoping there will be no server segregations when PvP is concerned. I think optional PvP on all servers is the way to go. Maybe I'm biased, but it worked in SWG and I truely believe that's the way to go.

The US/EU choice is not important to me, as I will follow my guild first. Then make an alt if a lot of you guys end up on an EU server.

I'm thinking like Selven, because I really want to be able to have an easier time deciding where to plunk the guild down. I really want to be happy with everyone in one place as much as possible.

I'm leaning towards a US realm, but we're far from release and I'd still seriously consider EU if the need arose.

That and if I don't agree with Selven, I get no cookies and she puts me in the cage again =\
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Class: Smuggler
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Velaxi wrote:
You do realise that it's possible (even probable) that you would have to get a different retail version of the game to play on eu/na if you're not physically in that area?

There were some discussions on the TOR forums about this... and there might also have been a conclusion?

I think it was about letting people choose their server (location) independently from the game version they own... Maybe I can look it up sometime later.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Grome wrote:

There were some discussions on the TOR forums about this... and there might also have been a conclusion?

I think it was about letting people choose their server independently from the game version... Maybe I can look it up sometime later.

I'm going to say that it's probably going to end up letting you pick server independent of game version, as I don't think Bioware is going to want to separate potential friends.

That's my idea of it anyway, I'd hate to see them drop the ball and require me to buy two copies. Though I would, to play with the people on here.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
Grome wrote:

I think it was about letting people choose their server independently from the game version... Maybe I can look it up sometime later.

I'm going to say that it's probably going to end up letting you pick server independent of game version, as I don't think Bioware is going to want to separate potential friends.

That's my idea of it anyway, I'd hate to see them drop the ball and require me to buy two copies. Though I would, to play with the people on here.

I imagine localization will take place by language, but there is some serious lag going across the ocean.
Back to top Go down
azarhal

azarhal

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Gloriana
Guild: Maybe Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Velaxi wrote:

The question was asked quite a few time on the forum and at conventions/events and everytime the answer was they they didn't want to split people. Well Sean didn't want to do that and the new CM is actually British...so...

Also, EA is publishing, running and distributing the game on both side of the Atlantic now, there is no reason for them to split the population if they get to take care of everybody...
Back to top Go down
Godric_Barbarosa

Godric_Barbarosa

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild: Looking for

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 4:03 pm

I chose RP-PvP but will give a long-winded explaination. albino

I like the tension of open world PvP, but if it is just a corpse-camping grief-fest I will go elsewhere. I gravitate towards RP servers because although I can and do RP on non-RP servers, I find the community tends to be a little more mature on RP servers. Finally, can definitely see the argument for not having server segregation.
Back to top Go down
Selven
The Old Bat
Selven

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Selven

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Velaxi wrote:

Possible, yes. Probable, no. I think the conclusions given are pointing in the direction that there won't be two copies of the game.
And even so, there are ways to avoid it being two retail versions. Like EQ2, you have to download some additional content, other than that, it's the same launcher with a drop down menu to choose US or EU servers.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Paladin

Lord_Paladin

Ingame Characters
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Perhaps when I get the chance later, I will post the letter openly here on these forums, and everyone who agrees can help me craft the letter to make it as convincing as possible.
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Dear Bioware,

We have captured your beloved Community Manager, Sean Dahlberg. If you want him and the plans to the Death Star back, you will meet with us and agree to our demands.

What do you mean Sean isn't Community Manager? /Slams Darth Helmet visor down.

"Why does nobody tell me these things!!!!"
Back to top Go down
Xavier

Xavier

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Xavier Dragen
Guild: Zero³

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Kai-Sun wrote:
What do you mean Sean isn't Community Manager? /Slams Darth Helmet visor down.

"Why does nobody tell me these things!!!!"
Sorry Sir, we didn't want you to know that we knew you were off playing with your dolls again!

Seriously though, I'm hoping for an RP/PvP server first. If not, I'd prefer an RP server that had Battlegrounds for PvP and open PvP lakes like in WAR, but still had safe ares in the zones reserved for PvE.
Back to top Go down
Mythicrose

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Voted on a PVP server. I've not given a pure RP a chance in prior MMOs. Games I've played with with just PvE servers bored me. It wasn't fun that the other faction could gank my kill or quest mods and I couldn't do much about it. i've enjoyed my time on PvP servers (though since I was generally a healer at the time I hated stealth classes). Nothing like seeing the other guy then trying to see if he/she is going to attack me or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Grome
Massively Subtle
Grome

Ingame Characters
Character Name:
Guild:

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 am

Mythicrose wrote:
Nothing like seeing the other guy then trying to see if he/she is going to attack me or vice versa.

Loved that feeling.
Back to top Go down
JedinWaiting

JedinWaiting

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

I think this is probably going to be my biggest post on RIG yet...and it's 4:30am and I'm sleep deprived so forgive any misspellings or bad grammar as I'm sure I'll probably fix it tomorrow....after work. You've been warned!!!

I know everyone is really interested to see what server types everyone is wanting to roll on but I'm actually kind of scared to lock the community into a specific server type yet. I think it's great that these forums are here and we are obviously creating some buzz with the new members joining in (me included) however something tells me the server type might be the "make or break" part of this community. I'm quite eclectic in my MMO play styles but I know several people who aren't.

When it comes to PvP servers (which just browsing at the responses so far seemed to be the more popular choice) I instantly have Aion come to mind. I spent hours in Aion getting destroyed in PvP by character 10 to 15 levels higher than me while out grinding levels. With the way the death system worked in Aion I'd spend another 10 minutes traveling back to my quest spot only to be jumped by a different group and destroyed again. This would happen repeatedly until I'd get frustrated and quit playing the game for a while. I eventually quit playing Aion altogether mostly for this reason. Keep this in mind however: unlike most people who rant and rave about being ganked in MMO's I'm a HUGE world PvP lover. I'd say about 70% of my time in WoW for the last 3 years I played it was spent in World PvP with friends and I can honestly say that looking back on it all those are the times I had the most fun in the game. But that still does not change the fact that wasting an hour of my time getting destroyed by players while I'm trying to grind is most certainly not fun and can possibly be what could cause me to quit.

RP servers are another issue I'd like to touch on. I LOVE RPing. I've spent countless hours in WoW with several guilds RPing and there's something about the social aspect that I just don't think is found on any other server. However I know several people that just find the whole RP thing somehow strange and "creepy" and this is also another server I think we'd be hard pressed to get everyone in RIG to willingly join. One of the main draws other than the RP on RP servers for me has always been the naming policy. Seeing real, genuine names is something I'm not sure if I can forsake. I played on an RP server on WoW for 3 years. At one point I logged onto my old main on a PVE server and the first person I seen next to my character was named <CowTipper>. Sure it was hilarious with all the Tauren running around in WoW...but if I could I'd try to stay on a server that didn't have these kinds of names.

Anyway...in closing I really hope as a community we can decide on something that everyone can adapt and be happy with. But like I said...it's slightly discomforting to know that server types in all actuality will be what separates our play styles more than any other choices we make. I really hope this community continues to grow and that we can decide on something. Even though I've not posted all that much on this site just seeing the responses here as well as the ones on the SWTOR site where the original thread was posted has me really crossing my fingers hoping we can all stick together.

Anyway that's my two cents.

And a few bucks.

P.S. It's late and I'll probably regret doing this. I have a VERY VERY old PvP video from my WoW days that I posted for a small group of real life friends. I made some very amateurish mistakes in this video as it was uploaded almost a full year after I had recorded it and even then I had gotten much much better after the video had been uploaded...but if anyone is interested...this video is World PvP on an RP server (not RP-PvP just RP) in WoW. And for the WoW veterans...this was early Burning Crusade footage BEFORE the Retribution buff. Meaning I was being called a "RETard", "RETLOL" and "LOLadin" back in these days by everyone and they all considered my build a "joke"......until they played with me anyway. Stay tuned in for my one man Stormwind Raid at the end of the video...I had a shitty comp back then so I ran in so fast the game didn't properly load all the people >.> but it was packed if you couldn't tell.

And I've ranted long enough goodnight RIG.

NINJA EDIT: lol removed the PvP video...the quality is just so poor...I think I was a youtube noob when I loaded it back in the day or something...resolution was so horrible it was almost shameful to link.

Last edited by JedinWaiting on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crebain

Crebain

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 am

hm hm, Jedinwaiting, the things you love most can be combined into a RP-PVP server easily.

Anyway most of us voted on that already and though this community might spread out over several servers, if we become greater in numbers and encourage the guilds that registered here to roll on a R.I.G. server that will have a major impact on the community of that server.

But you're right, it's too soon to make out which server it will be. We need more info on how the devs will structure this. And even more, we'll probably have a split in EU and US players due to time differences or even if there will be regional restrictions.
Back to top Go down
Pyara_Raga

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

i voted for a pve server because my wife and i will be playing together and RIGHT NOW she's not really into the peeveepee. i'm hoping to convince her to roll on a RP-PVP server if they have them available. we're not RPer's by any sense but i've always found that the maturity level on a RP server tends to be better. also i'm kind of a stickler for names. i don't know why but names are a pet peeve of mine.

when we fired up FF 14 people had names like Miley Cyrus, Jedi Yoda, Halle Berry and pretty much anything else stupid you could think of. to me these kind of players immediately tell you that they are immature and lack imagination and these are people that i know i don't want to play with.

to caveat onto what JedinWaiting said about getting crushed by higher levels on a pvp server, if we can somewhat consolidate on one or 2 servers then you should be able to group together while questing which will decrease the gankage somewhat. we're all less of a target if we're running around as a group.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Quarashi Wahr-Schwen
Class: Sith Inquisitor
Guild: Crazies of Korriban

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:53 pm

I still just hope that we figure out a way to get the bulk of the RiG gamers into just one (1), or two (2) servers at most.

Its already to the point where I am going to have to go "hog wild" PM'ing next spring to find out just who is going where...Too many awesome people (and Coldhart) on this forum!!

Server priority - Page 3 44873 <MMMMMMmmmmm...On the same server...we need to be...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Schwendo wrote:
I still just hope that we figure out a way to get the bulk of the RiG gamers into just one (1), or two (2) servers at most.

Its already to the point where I am going to have to go "hog wild" PM'ing next spring to find out just who is going where...Too many awesome people (and Coldhart) on this forum!!

Server priority - Page 3 44873 <MMMMMMmmmmm...On the same server...we need to be...

Which is why we're hoping for no server types other then, pick a server and go.

We hope the biggest decision is US/EU, so that we'll have that idea of 1-2 servers without losing anyone. Need more info on that before we can really decide, cause I know we all want to make everyone happy, but there's certain restrictions that some people have.

It'll work out, cause we're awesome!
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Your darned (<--Selvan profanity filter activated) right bro!!

I have these Vi-schwens of like 200+ people all on the "same page", headed into a single server...creating gaming Utopia!!

I do believe that US/EU server will be the biggest deciding factor in RiG, come next Spring...
Back to top Go down
Kai-Sun
Crackers Don't Matter
Kai-Sun

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Schwendo wrote:
Your darned (<--Selvan profanity filter activated) right bro!!

I have these Vi-schwens of like 200+ people all on the "same page", headed into a single server...creating gaming Utopia!!

I do believe that US/EU server will be the biggest deciding factor in RiG, come next Spring...

I have faith in Bioware, that they won't be separate.

Even should they be, I feel that if we really needed two servers, the dream would still be alive and well, and that we'll overcome something as simple as server choice.

Because we're just that darn cool.
Back to top Go down
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Yerpo!...anyways...if they do...the darned Vikings will sweep out of the north and sack the US server anyways (after all...they ARE Vikings!)

*blows in the other end of beer bong..creating a "Viking horn" sound (it really does work too!)*
Back to top Go down
Arzon

Arzon

Ingame Characters
Character Name: Arzon
Class: Sith Warrior
Guild: Reign

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:25 pm

We have been discussing our desired server choice for some time and most of our members are hoping for a RP-PVP server type, but we have quite a few that desire RP-PVE as well. Therefore, we're pretty undecided (and have to be since we don't know what types Bioware will create), but I think a lot of our members would prefer to go wherever the RIG community goes.

The constant here is the "RP"... assuming Bioware includes such a type, since it has been our experience that RP servers tend to attract the more mature crowds. Plus, it's immersion breaking to us when you see 'xXDaRthPwnUXx' running around...

As for regionalization... again, no idea what Bioware will do here, but most of our members are North-American based. We do have a couple EU players so hopefully they will allow us all to play on the same server.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reignguild.net
Schwendo

Schwendo

Ingame Characters

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Guess I gotta change my main toons name..now that "xXDaRthPwnUXx" is taken... Laughing

*curses to self*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Server priority   Server priority - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server priority
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next